• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spin up?

DaJib

Smash Rookie
I've been a ghost on these boards for quite some time and was looking for this and couldn't find it, so I apologize if its old news.

While b-sticking (c-stick set to specials) with sonic I accidentally discovered something interesting. Sonic's side B spin attack can be used to go straight up. I'm not talking about jump canceling it, this sent his spin straight up in the air with no horizontal movement.

After testing it a couple of time I found that it occurs when the control stick and c-stick (b-sticking, remember) are smashed in opposite directions at nearly the same time, I believe the c-stick must come slightly after. I expected to auto-rar but instead found myself in the air, while this may not be very useful tactically a couple of interesting options are available to you.

Jumping after spinning up is just like jumping out of sonics side B normally, however you may cancel this spin up with any other aerial or even sonics up B. I'm not sure what else cancels it but so far this has been pretty useful for chasing some opponents into the air. :)

I'll try to upload a video soon.

Tenki

Smash Hero
by any chance, were you on the ground when you did it?

it sounds more like you just jump cancelled a charge into a vertical Spin dash jump.

Normal Jump Cancelling is done by doing a jump or attack input while charging side-B or down-B.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
it's like tenki said, it's much simpler than you're making it out to be. You don't need to set the C-stick to specials. In fact, just while holding SD and pressing up on the control stick you do exactly the same thing as you described.

ALSO, for unknown reasons, with C-Stick set to Smash and while you're charging the spin charge, pressing down on the C-Stick sends you upwards as well.

Other than that, the only other Spin Charge trick I use regularly is the 45* jump, by pressing < or > on the smash C-stick while ASC-ing (spin shotting).

Umby

Smash Master
What you did was hit the control stick one way, then tapped the c-stick twice in the other direction. You get the same effect without b-stick just by jumping during Spin Dash without releasing the charge.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Forward Special and hold it in place... while still holding down B... press jump button

Down Special... while still holding Down after tapping B..... press jump button (using up on the joystick won't work for this one because you're releasing the attack then)... unless of course you're just that amazing with the joystick.... and assuming you have tap jump on... which come on people... I just am to old fashion to turn it off.

DaJib

Smash Rookie
I see, thanks, I never saw any mention of it on here and I never play as sonic so when I did it I was like ??

Top Bottom