• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spin Shotting

Dark Scotsman

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3668-9667-4718
Can someone explain Spin Shotting a little more in depth for me please. The description in the techniques area doesn't really work for me. Thanks :)

Umby

Smash Master
Charge up a Spin Dash. Release it. On the very few first frames (it's an extremely small time window), press press the jump button. You'll travel in a wide arc in the air horizontally. You press jump after you release, but before the Spin Dash starts taking off.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Just press down+b, then, while holding b, press up on the control stick. There, you spinshot, full speed, without having to waste time charging it.

Dark Scotsman

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3668-9667-4718
hhhmm, that is a new technique for me so that's great, but it's not quite what I thought it was. I was watching a video of DarkNES and he did this charge spin, but cancelled it after doing what I thought was spin shotting so he didn't have the animation for it and could do anything. He does it to return sometimes. Not sure if you guys know what I mean. This is the link for the first time I saw him do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNwmbDSKTiI

It's at 1:22 the first time, and I think he does it again later. I think it's the same thing but slightly different. Any help is appreciated.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
yeah... I don't know what name we've decided on that yet... I think it's called a spin-dash... I personally call it the sling shot.

You pretty much press UP right after releasing B from a spin charge. I was doing forward B... released B then hit up. The timing is the same online or in person cause all wifi does is cause input lag.

If you go too early.... sonic will still be spinning and move vertically up. If you go too late usually sonic jumps out of his spin... but doesn't really go anywhere. If you watch my matches with Daisy-fan... he does it quite well and off the screen sometimes which is why he's moving so fast when he recovers.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
lol right on ^

the downb method can only be done midair btw. Side b can be done on ground and air and is the easiest to perform. Side+b, doesnt matter how long u hold but release b, and tap up or the next directional notch away from up, aka the diagonal direction u're facing. u dont have to input the diagonal direction but it helps timing alot. The use of this jump is awesome and ive set up some nasty bairs from off ledge, over, and behind opponent cuz i caught him by surprise with it. :D'

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Well, on the ground, you get a semi-spinshot but you're in a ball shape still. You get the distance, but look like a ball.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
am i the only one that thinks spin shotting is completely useless?

correct me if im wrong:
This is basicly when sonic goes form a spindash/charge start animation into a pretty fast and high jump (not in a ball) right?

-------main reasons i find this tech useless: it uses your second jump..

--sonic's second jump is basicly his last resort jump in my opinion, because his second jump is the only thign that he can cancel out of spin dashes and charges with.

--so basicly if you find yourself off the edge , and no headed towards ground, and u dont have your 2nd jump, your screwed.... even if you have your up B

--and another thing: if you use just a spin dash you get a small boost up at the start, and you can still jump cancel with the 2nd jump and then use up B and i think the distcance covered is very clsoe to the same as a spin shot into up b, except its way easier to pull off.

IF ANYTHING the only thing spin shotting has on side b into 2nd jump, is slight speed and possibly horizontal distance...

but seriously guys.. with sonic's up b... if you cant make it back with a 2nd jump AND and up B, then you must have already exploded and lost a life... because his up B has so much distance....

***this is just my reasoning as of right now, I'm open to some new logic and ideas

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
am i the only one that thinks spin shotting is completely useless?

correct me if im wrong:
This is basicly when sonic goes form a spindash/charge start animation into a pretty fast and high jump (not in a ball) right?

-------main reasons i find this tech useless: it uses your second jump..

--sonic's second jump is basicly his last resort jump in my opinion, because his second jump is the only thign that he can cancel out of spin dashes and charges with.

--so basicly if you find yourself off the edge , and no headed towards ground, and u dont have your 2nd jump, your screwed.... even if you have your up B

--and another thing: if you use just a spin dash you get a small boost up at the start, and you can still jump cancel with the 2nd jump and then use up B and i think the distcance covered is very clsoe to the same as a spin shot into up b, except its way easier to pull off.

IF ANYTHING the only thing spin shotting has on side b into 2nd jump, is slight speed and possibly horizontal distance...

but seriously guys.. with sonic's up b... if you cant make it back with a 2nd jump AND and up B, then you must have already exploded and lost a life... because his up B has so much distance....

***this is just my reasoning as of right now, I'm open to some new logic and ideas

No actually spinshooting is moving from your downB to a jump immediately in an arc.
It doens't use your second jump.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
@R4ZE - Yes it may not be the best option... but it certainly does help keep variety and not lock you into the same pattern of recovery.

I personally think the best use for it is when rushing someone who is camping. As you said, it covers lots of horizontal distance quickly. SONIC! THE ANTI-CAMPER!!!!

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
Yeah he does well against campy opponents.
I wish his aerials had more priority, then he would be high tier material.
His nair has pretty decent priority.

And his low priority is not too much of an issue, as long as you are sneaky with his bair and uair. Thats where spinshot comes into play giving you that extra degree of unpredictability with his aerials.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
personally, i use down B, and release... and then immidiately jump. the movement is almost identicle to spin shot, exepct im still in a ball, and i still have second jump, and also i can just plow into things and deal damage

also. using spin dash, getting close, jumping up and canceling into a homing attack

... just some other options that i personally use for camper rushing.

thanks for the responses on my question guys
and very good point, it does help keep things tricky :D

its probobly worth mastering, especially since it does shoot rather fast.

EFIT *ABOUT NAIR*
I think the real usability for nair coems in, when you know if you fair, u will get the delay form hitting the ground.

nair can be pulled out fast enuff to catch opponents before they attack, and u dont get the delay when u hit the ground.

also. the startup animations of nair seem to have kill worthy knockback as far as sonic is concerned.
i have killed people with spincharge into nair a couple of times. (granted their damage was high.. like around 200)

Boxob

Smash Champion
personally, i prefer the air!, and release... and then immidiately jump. the movement is almost identicle to spin shot, exepct im still in a ball, and i still have second jump, and also i can just plow into things and deal damage

also. using spin dash, getting close, jumping up and canceling into a homing attack

... just some other options that i personally use for camper rushing.

thanks for the responses on my question guys
and very good point, it does help keep things tricky :D

its probobly worth mastering, especially since it does shoot rather fast.

EFIT *ABOUT NAIR*
I think the real usability for nair coems in, when you know if you fair, u will get the delay form hitting the ground.

nair can be pulled out fast enuff to catch opponents before they attack, and u dont get the delay when u hit the ground.

also. the startup animations of nair seem to have kill worthy knockback as far as sonic is concerned.
i have killed people with spincharge into nair a couple of times. (granted their damage was high.. like around 200)
Edited, for great justice.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Nair has nice low trajectory but pretty low knockback. It's actually better than bair/fair for setting up off-stage edgeguards where you will be using bair or fair anyway.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i du nut knou...

i saw nair knock some nabs retty far. seems to have the most knockback following up a spin combo.

OH YA. i didnt respond to shadowlink:
in that case, since spin shotting is actually downb and jumping immidiately, i use that al the time, i find it extremely useful. thanks for clearin that up brah. =D

Rak

Smash Cadet
Spinshot really has an advantage over the regular up out of down-b charge that R4ZE is talking about in that in can be done in the air. I only use it when I'm off the stage(off course I can do it consistently enough now to not screw up and kill myself). Using it to recover is often a surprise and you can aerial right after it when the opponent thinks your gonna spin for a bit then midair jump.

You can also spin shot to save your life.
Like when you get hit with something big and you have the whole stage and outer screen to react(like two moves that are usually useless and you die anyway) spinshotting has the greatest momentum shift of all sonics moves, and in the cases where you're able to pull off a move before dieing from some fsmash, you can spinshot to shift your momentum and recover.

DAVEEED

Smash Rookie
thanks this is a good thread, I'm having some trouble mastering this right now guess I just need more practice :/

there is definitely some value to this, especially if you consistently play the same person it's all about mixing it up.

Rak

Smash Cadet
Tap jump must be on. Why would you play without it, seriously?
To short hop u-air.... It has just as much side range and speed as fair, and it can be used out of shield on someone behind you. Playing sonic well relies on good spacing, but sometimes you might get in a tight spot where you're shielding and the enemy is directly behind you, You can then SH uair backwards and maybe startup a uair combo. It's sonics fastest move that hits directly behind him and I notice a lot of Sonic players could make use of it because they usually are at a loss of what to do in the above mentioned situation. It can hit on any character taller than Pikachu... i think.

Umby

Smash Master
However, c-stick is used when you want to space aerials, such as moving backwards while using a forward air. Also makes it somewhat easier to jump forward/backward with a uair/bair without ****ing up. Not to mention, slide transition from Y to A isn't always necessarily good, as you may end up full jumping when you want to short hop.

Top Bottom