• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

spin attack question

Samael_78

Smash Journeyman
i'll let you know right now, i'm not a Link player. i play against several people who use him and they use the spin attack a lot. i don't have difficulty avoiding it, but i would like some info from Link players on the physics of the spin attack, for example: where it hits (location)? how far the knockback effect is? like at the edge, whats the best way to avoid it while recovering or how to effectively tech (if possible) and avoid getting killed.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
All of this really depends on the character you play against link but it has good knock back on most all chars with high % as long as they don't fall into the top of it (as in fall into it near the center of the spin where link is). If you play fox or falco your going to get spin spiked alot if you don't sweetspot getting back. Chars like samus can get around it easily. Not sure if you can tech wall jump up it or not but I doubt it.

Psi

Smash Cadet
I don't play link either but I think the hitbox starts at the edge of his sword at the beginning of the attack and moves away from him slightly after one or two spins. The semi-spike happens if you are hit by the attack after the very beginning as well.

As far as how to avoid it, it really depends on your character. Fox/Falco have a very hard time avoiding it unless they sweetspot the edge or are close enough to go almost straight up and DI back to the stage. So basically sweet spotting the edge is the best way.

Samael_78

Smash Journeyman
I don't play link either but I think the hitbox starts at the edge of his sword at the beginning of the attack and moves away from him slightly after one or two spins. The semi-spike happens if you are hit by the attack after the very beginning as well.

As far as how to avoid it, it really depends on your character. Fox/Falco have a very hard time avoiding it unless they sweetspot the edge or are close enough to go almost straight up and DI back to the stage. So basically sweet spotting the edge is the best way.
yeah, i have noticed that about the hitbox and that its range slightly increases during the spin. i usually play as ganondorf. i try to sweetspot the edge to avoid getting hit but whenever i try to i always find myself falling sort of the edge. and im really trying to, but there doesnt seem to be a happy medium between getting spin spiked and shorting the edge. i have seem some pros tech to the side of FD with C. Falcon but i dont see how they do it.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
^^^ They are beastly, I hate It when my friend gets lucky on me and Ledge Techs, not saying it is a luck tactic, but he is horrible

"DIing is cheating"

"what is Directional influence"

Yeah @_@

NovA™

Smash Apprentice
The way to avoid Links UP B is dodge roll back or jump and hit his head where he is vulnerable. The UP B lasts a long time so DO NOT sidestep, because it will still get you and it has one of the most lag times in the game after the move has been acomplished, so punish the LINK after he misses you with it. NOW for the pros, spike and good things about the UP B is that the UP B lasts a long time, but u can get punished, and if the UP B gets u from the tips on the either sides or even a bit off from the tip but close to it, it will spike u diagonally downwards, and its one of the harder spikes to meteor cancel since its sending you diagonally. It has good knockback and does a decent amout of damage, but I would never reccomend to anyone to use the UP B ( SPIN ATTACK) to gain damage, rather spike, take off a stock or push them back so you can recover. NOW the UP B is easy to tech on the ground so always tech when u get hit by hit and DI towards the stage diagonally. Try to also Tech of the wall when you are about to get hit by the SPIN ATTACK and about to get spiked. Basically the UP B (SPIN ATTACK) is a good move with a lot of potential but if used in the wrong situations and wrong times, it will get the LINK player punished, so it has its UPS and DOWNS, in my opinion its a pretty good move overall but since I play LINK I also get pissed when I miss it because I get ***** afterwards : ).

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
...and if the UP B gets u from the tips on the either sides or even a bit off from the tip but close to it, it will spike u diagonally downwards, and its one of the harder spikes to meteor cancel since its sending you diagonally.
regarding the spin-attacks pseudo-spike, it's not a matter of "where" the sword makes contact. rather, it's "when" the sword makes contact. as long as it hits after it's initial frames, whether it be at the tips or not, it will spike. it's called a pseudo-spike because it never sends it's victims straight downward. also, it's not a meteor smash; therefore, it cannot be meteor canceled.

*another pro for the spin-attack: it can be done straight from your shield.

J-Red

Smash Cadet
Yea it does get you often Leebs. And it feels great everytime. It's totally my 2nd favorite move of link right behind the D-Air pogo stick baby.

demonsbane105

Smash Journeyman
i'll let you know right now, i'm not a Link player. i play against several people who use him and they use the spin attack a lot. i don't have difficulty avoiding it, but i would like some info from Link players on the physics of the spin attack, for example: where it hits (location)? how far the knockback effect is? like at the edge, whats the best way to avoid it while recovering or how to effectively tech (if possible) and avoid getting killed.
well, the initial knockback is about as much, maybe a little less/more, as his uncharged fsmash. after that, it has a little less power and not as much damage.

like others here have said, sweetspot the ledge to avoid being killed by it. i think that how you tech really depends on who you use. if he stands almost completely off the ledge or close to it while edgeguarding, you might want to roll back on when you grab the ledge, or just jump over him and don't grab the ledge at all (though i wouldn't recommend that). if he stands a couple of feet away from the ledge, grab the edge then jump from there. there are a lot more options to this depending on your character, but those are just general guidelines. it might help if you say who you use against him though. and fyi, i really don't play as link too much so a couple of those tips might not be as effective as they look (just a fair warning, try them if you will).

Deva

Smash Lord
regarding the spin-attacks pseudo-spike, it's not a matter of "where" the sword makes contact. rather, it's "when" the sword makes contact. as long as it hits after it's initial frames, whether it be at the tips or not, it will spike.

I don't know if this depends on where it hits but on occasion I have noticed that if an opponent lands on the spin attack near Link's head on the very last frames of the spin it will not spike but rather perform a hit similar to the initial launch of the attack. Let me know if you know anything about the specific mechanics of this action or if you have even heard of or encoutered it yourself.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this depends on where it hits but on occasion I have noticed that if an opponent lands on the spin attack near Link's head on the very last frames of the spin it will not spike but rather perform a hit similar to the initial launch of the attack. Let me know if you know anything about the specific mechanics of this action or if you have even heard of or encoutered it yourself.
this happens when your opponent lands almost exactly on top of your head.

Skler

Smash Master
Alright, to answer all the questions in the first post...

1. Physics of the spin/hitbox- The spin has a fairly large horizontal hitbox on both sides of Link, and it expands a small amount when it becomes a spike. The spin can only hit once, so if you get hit by the first part you will not get spiked (same goes for if you shield any part of it, so if you shield it just punish). Once the spin becomes a spike, if you jump on Link's body you will be hit as if you were hit by the normal spin. The knockback isn't all that great (except the spike, few characters can survive it even at low %s). Fox and Falco can survive getting hit by a normal spin even at 100% (stage dependent) if they DI correctly and use the shine to stop horizontal movement.

2. Avoiding while recovering- Sweetspot, the spin doesn't hit low enough to stop a sweetspotter.

3. Teching the spin- If you get hit by the normal part teching is very easy, since it hits you up and away. Just tech as you normally would. If you get hit by the spike and are not going to go off the edge before hitting the ground then hit L/R right after contact, the trajectory of the spike will make you hit the ground very quickly, so you should tech it.

4.To avoid getting killed either don't get hit (the spin isn't too fast) or DI it diagonally up and towards the stage.

What a long post about the spin...

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
alright. i suppose i gota give this up.

the spin attack hitbox activates late and ends early.

it DOES NOT last as long or start as early as the graphic makes you think it does.

dont believe me?? bust out ur Pro Action Replay... or try and see when you can powerblock it. hes already half done yelling "skaaagggg"

this advice helps you plan to use it more correctly.

Samael_78

Smash Journeyman
well, the initial knockback is about as much, maybe a little less/more, as his uncharged fsmash. after that, it has a little less power and not as much damage.

like others here have said, sweetspot the ledge to avoid being killed by it. i think that how you tech really depends on who you use. if he stands almost completely off the ledge or close to it while edgeguarding, you might want to roll back on when you grab the ledge, or just jump over him and don't grab the ledge at all (though i wouldn't recommend that). if he stands a couple of feet away from the ledge, grab the edge then jump from there. there are a lot more options to this depending on your character, but those are just general guidelines. it might help if you say who you use against him though. and fyi, i really don't play as link too much so a couple of those tips might not be as effective as they look (just a fair warning, try them if you will).
you said if he stands at the edge while he's edge-guarding. you spoke in context of me being on the edge at that point. am i totally screwed if hes guarding the edge while im still recovering? meaning if he spins, the attack reaches over the edge, as i have noticed the hitbox extends slightly below him as well.

demonsbane105

Smash Journeyman
you said if he stands at the edge while he's edge-guarding. you spoke in context of me being on the edge at that point. am i totally screwed if hes guarding the edge while im still recovering? meaning if he spins, the attack reaches over the edge, as i have noticed the hitbox extends slightly below him as well.
no your not totally screwed. your best bet is to sweetspot the ledge. link's spin swing doesn't extend that far down, although i have seen his down A attacks (ground) hit me while i was on the ledge. and if you were on the edge already, you probably would have fully recovered by the time he got over to the very end of the ledge. just remember to roll if he's close and jump if he's far. you probably would have enough time to air-strike him with something or some other option, depending on your character.

Top Bottom