• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Spin Attack AT*

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I **** you not. Something useful you can do with spin attack. The idea came to me in a dream.
Yes, Link can do it too.

It works on platform levels FOR THE MOST PART!
You can still do it on any level, but platform levels are where it should be used. The canceled one can be used at the edge of any level.

Intro:
This is not game-breaking guys. It's to help us at one of our weak points.You know when your on a platform and theres a guy under you? Or if your on the top platform of battlefield and your opponents on one of the side platforms, and you don't know what to do? Dair is a stupid option, because you can miss, and your screwed. And they can't be hit by boomerang because the platform your standing on blocks it, so you try bombs. But then your just ending up jumping in the air and throwing bombs down. It really puts you at a disadvantage, because not only is it hard to hit your opponent because of the platforms, but your going to end up right back on a platform and being in the same situation you were in before. Now the canceled form...well that actually might be a little more useful.

Remember this? (0:10-0:15)

That just might be your new answer.

Sasuke presents:
Sasuke falling: The new AT!
jk

SAF
and
SAFC
(Spin Attack Fall and Spin Attack Fall Cancel[got a better name? Tell me])

Oh, anyway, the point of this thread(don't complain about the music or you get Zair'd):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPK7vzBqrR4

To perform:
Partially from -Aether's thread: Start a run, and use an Up-B while approaching the edge. While toon link is in the beginning animation of his up-B, slide your control stick a quarter circle forward to backwards to make him slide roughly two feet forwards. If you do a normal up-B, you will slide. If you rotate the control stick to the direction you want to slide, you will slide even more.

Short Explanation:
Now TL is generally at a disadvantage when your opponent is under you. Dair? Come on guys. Bombs? Puts you in the same place as before. So what can we do? Drop down, air dodging, hoping for the best? No. There are inevitable vulnerability frames that we can't do anything about when we land. Thats giving your opponent a free hit. Our new strategy is, we use Up-B! This is no laughing matter, as it actually works if you think about it. It has the property of being an attack that surrounds you, keeping you safe in the air and it hits just before you land, saving you from someone waiting for you to land. It has a lot of other uses too.

SAF:
SAF protects you when falling from a platform. It covers about all your body and lasts the whole fall. As an extra precaution, you can throw a boomerang before performing it to have a little extra safety from the front. The last hit sends opponents far enough to not be able to punish you, so your safe. All the other hits will knock them back enough for you to proceed with a jab attack. It honestly has very little lag if you do it correctly. You can sorta "delay" the move if you use Up-B earlier. It could be used for mindgames I guess. SAF lets you hit opponents stationed in your "blind spot" right next to you on the Battle Field platforms. You can hit them only in the areas your boomerang can't (which causes its usefulness). You can move around and decide how youd like to hit them (AKA, second to last swing for low knock back or last swing for a lot of knock back). You can hit people under the middle platform in Battle Field too. The hit will be enough to keep you at a distance. It also has that "infinite second jump" property to the move if you land it at just the right time. The second jump (much longer then the first) can let you get away if you think your going to be punished. You can also throw a boomerang/bomb (or pull one out) while retreating[you can do SAF while holding a bomb]. A Zair works too if you think they're going to come after you in a hurry. You can use it off multiple platform if you like being fancy. You can also control the direction. You can go a lot forwards, straight down, or a little backwards. Overall, its something that should be used, but only under the circumstances for it, or to throw people off.

SAFC:
SAF can be canceled?!? Yes. It just looks like a little shine appears. To cancel a SAF, simply do a normal SAF and charge your Up-B. This little shine can change the direction of your momentum (sorta like B-sticking,without the horrible start up lag of throwing a boomerang). This might just be more useful then the AT itself, as it is somewhat PRACTICAL. It can be done on every level with edges. It makes for great edge guarding mindgames. SAFC will generally speed up your game play at platform levels. A good follow up for SAFC is Nair, as it allows you to control your already altered trajectory, giving you full control. It's sorta of like a fast fall, but not just straight down. Let and right are available now. Good for spacing, and if you need to get away from, get closer to something a little faster. Something that should defiantly be incorporated in the future.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Thank you.
The vid has pretty much everything I could think of right now.
Then again, its 3 AM. I'll add stuff tomorrow if I can think straight.

I'm sure theres a loooot more if people just play around with it.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Lol makes me wish that up b was controllable and didn't always go up unless you wanted it to. Like Pit, you could fly around, spinning. :)
I take it the cancel is for mindgamez.
Oh yes it says in the vid

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
yeah, I'm going to need an explanation on this. >_>
I ignored the topic that came up recently about the moving spin attack because I saw no use in it, looks like I was wrong and I can't find the topic. So how do you do this?

Mrdc

Smash Cadet
Can someone just up smash you out of your spin attack if they are under it? How is its priority?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
This won't be too useful except maybe...once a set, lol. The stun is too small and you'll get some lag. In which case they can just shield and punish.

Bombs offer safety because you can pressure better at a distance. Dair is good if you keep it to a minimum. This however is really blantant, and will get you punished a lot, unless they're at like really high damage.

Eh, use it in a match against someone intelligent and good at the game. We'll see then.

Still, I appreciate your dedication to finding this stuff Sasuke. Even though this technically could've been found at the same moment as the ledge one since platforms have similar properties. xD

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Awesome. O_O

I see what it is, and I see how it's very useful, but I don't really get how to do it. Can someone explain it to me?

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Pretend you're doing a dash attack, but instead up b before you fall off the ledge.

I've done it before, but am agreeing with Viet.

It could be useful for large opponents though, or maybe someone's on the far right platform, you could just spin to safety to the ground.

It could be pretty useful. I like it. :)

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I think it might be good just for showing off or FFA's, but in 1v1's they won't really wait for you to come down

Edit: would this work with link

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I think it might be good just for showing off or FFA's, but in 1v1's they won't really wait for you to come down

Edit: would this work with link
It should work better w/ Link since that thing is a kill move for him. <_<

But still, this is totally unsafe. You're vulnerable on the bottom from your descend, there's post lag, and if they shield, you're screwed too. =/

Lobos

Smash Master
I'm more interested in the safc, seems like it can be useful if used properly. I'll try to work with this and see if anything comes out from it.

I agree with viet tho since a shield or dodge will most likely punish TL.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Wow, nice. I never thought this would be useful. Looks great too. Hmm, I think an SAF to an edgehog would distract the opponent long enough for me to drop and spike him before he can react and airdodge because my SAF was just too eye catching XD! I'd love to stick one of those in a combo vid! *goes to practice*

By the way, used off a ledge, does the SAF hit your opponent or not?

TLMarth

Smash Ace
To perform, run towards the edge of a platform. At the very edge, up b, then continue pushing forwards, and you will fall off. If you do this at the edge of a stage, then press back after falling off to catch the edge.
Oh and guys, you should learn how to use my directory because I have this
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154101
in it.

Hyro

Smash Lord
The advice I can give to do this correctly, is run towards the edge, and up B BEFORE you think you should since you'll slide off anyways. If you wait too long, your spin attack will rise.

Also, make sure you don't stop before using up B, slide the control stick from your dash to facing up. And don't boomerang XD

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
To perform, run towards the edge of a platform. At the very edge, up b, then continue pushing forwards, and you will fall off. If you do this at the edge of a stage, then press back after falling off to catch the edge.
Oh and guys, you should learn how to use my directory because I have this
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154101
in it.
v_v
I did not see it when I looked.
Thanks.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
~Added how to do spin attack while falling off~

I know its not something your going to to every match, but its not really good to do something consistently anyway.
It's flashy and to trick people, and its not bad enough for you to be evidently punished.
I think its something you should consider doing when the time is right.

SAFC isn't punishable, so that can be used in every match I suppose.

And yes, it works with Link. -.-

Ginger_Warrior

Smash Apprentice
My initial impression was "This is easily punishable with a grab if executed less than perfectly, which will be most of the time".

I'll keep it in my thoughts though when I'm in a sticky situation like that again. It might work. Let's test it before making conclusions.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Pretty cool, and I see what veit is saying. I say it should be used more when the opponent isnt directly under you. Like if there on the second platform trying to get to the bottom up to the top to attack you, it might be a safe way to come down. All we can do is practice it with our crews and see how they react to it over time. I remember I used to do this with link as a suicide kill in melee xD

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
sasuke, great job.
Although only time will tell if this is a useful tech or not, it's great that you managed to find something anyway. I'm always looking for stuff (and never finding anything), but this gives people like me hope again. :)

as for the tech, i read about some people's complaints of being left too open when doing the move. I guess we can try to experiment with bombs and zairs to see if there's anyway we could add those into the mix.

BrawlerHarrison

Smash Apprentice
Good to see people taking notice of it.

Other than TL and Link, any other chars you can think of that can do something similar to this? Let's get into some detail xD

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Theres no point.<_<
We don't care about other characters.

Maybe Samus. idk.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Good to see people taking notice of it.

Other than TL and Link, any other chars you can think of that can do something similar to this? Let's get into some detail xD
Technically all characters can do something similar. But I think Sheik will benefit from something similar (slide off Up+B to edgeguard and vanish back onto stage).

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Fall of platform, use upb, then charge another upb to cancel? *sucks thumb*

Edit: I'm convinced this is witchcraft. I managed to do it once (going off stage,) but I can't get it again. Every time I try, I do the jumping S.A.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
I've had more success lately; how long did it take you to do it at will (that is, without doing the rising upb unintentionally?)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
like 7-8 minutes to get it 99% of the time.
You feel really dumb when you mess up.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I knew about this since Melee when I seconded Link. But I really couldn't find any uses for it. I just thought it looked cool.

I have a friend that mains Toon Link that ended up doing this about 4 times in a row on Yoshi's Island. I think he'll be happy to see this :).

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I knew about this since Melee when I seconded Link. But I really couldn't find any uses for it. I just thought it looked cool.

I have a friend that mains Toon Link that ended up doing this about 4 times in a row on Yoshi's Island. I think he'll be happy to see this :).
Oh yeah, the fall off and grab the ledge thing was in perfect control 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGvGSec3f4U&NR=1
around 1:07.

Alzi

Smash Master
This could be a nice show off move to you opponent. xD I'm still trying to get it right i keep rising up instead of sliding but i read some stuff so i have to try it next to the edge a little more.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wild guess, but I assume this would be easier to do with Tap Jump OFF. I leave mine on, personally.

Anyway, it's awesome. sasukebowsermagneton, remember that one wifi match where I communicated with you by running towards the edge, trying and failing to do this, and then doing my "o_O" taunt? And then we no contested and you picked Toon Link and showed me how to do it :D

We both ended up suiciding a lot that day. I seem to remember my Toon Link vs your Ice Climbers in a 99 stock match after that.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Wild guess, but I assume this would be easier to do with Tap Jump OFF. I leave mine on, personally.
Mines on. It probably would be easier with it off, your right.
Anyway, it's awesome. sasukebowsermagneton, remember that one wifi match where I communicated with you by running towards the edge, trying and failing to do this, and then doing my "o_O" taunt? And then we no contested and you picked Toon Link and showed me how to do it :D
Haha yeah. Good times. =)
We both ended up suiciding a lot that day. I seem to remember my Toon Link vs your Ice Climbers in a 99 stock match after that.
rofl. I remember that. Idk why i messed up when picking the stock, and realized it after like 10 lives.

petycash

Smash Rookie
i think it's pretty cool if you do it off one of the side platforms as someone is jumping up from cliffhanging, it's really flashy too

Alzi

Smash Master
I did this about twice while practicing it on that sandbag practice stage. I kept hitting out a boomerang by accident. : /

Top Bottom