• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spikes in Brawl

zapdose

Smash Apprentice
Are there any true spikes in brawl? Or are all of them actually meteor smashes?

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf's Dair
Ike's Dair
Zelda's Dair (sweetspotted)
Robot's Dair
Wolf's Dair

To name a few. All of these have significant stun frames, you can't immediately jump out of it like meteors.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf's Dair
Ike's Dair
Zelda's Dair (sweetspotted)
Robot's Dair
Wolf's Dair

To name a few. All of these have significant stun frames, you can't immediately jump out of it like meteors.
Marth? Farco? No more?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I've meteor canceled plenty of times in Melee over the years. I've yet to do it in Brawl and I've been playing it for over a month.

Galeon

Smash Ace
it is definitely possible to meteor cancel in brawl. there just isn't a flash like there was in melee. i up-b'ed out of kirby's up-b in the 90s.

Tmnt1837

Smash Cadet
I missed my sweetspot on the first kick, as you can see it only did 5%, but on the second kick it did 24% which you will only get if you sweetspot the kick. Also you see the lightning covering his body on the way up which only occurs after sweetspoting an opponent.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I missed my sweetspot on the first kick, as you can see it only did 5%, but on the second kick it did 24% which you will only get if you sweetspot the kick. Also you see the lightning covering his body on the way up which only occurs after sweetspoting an opponent.
Oh, I didn't even see the second.

Pretty sure he has super armor frames on that part of his Up-B which would have prevented any movement influence on your part, meteor or otherwise.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think so. Can anyone with Brawl confirm this?
I have brawl, and I've never been able to meteor cancel.
I've meteor canceled... a Footstool Jump (something I heard some people claim was unmeteorcancelable for a while).

Just because you haven't been able to do it or you haven't seen someone able to do it in the heat of battle does not mean it cannot be done. If you wanna test whether something is a spike or not, go into Training Mode and warn whoever's gonna have to meteor cancel right before you perform the Spike/Meteor and test it out repeatedly.

I'm willing to bet the majority (if not all) of the "Spikes" mentioned so far are actually Meteor Smashes.

kr3wman

Smash Master
im a noob so what is the diffrence between meteor smash and spike examples would help like what is falcos dair and linke upB and cfalcons fair & dair
A Meteor Smash is a move that sends the opponent downward, but if you use your jump or anything like that it cancels it, whereas Spikes send people downward until the hitlag wears off.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
im a noob so what is the diffrence between meteor smash and spike examples would help like what is falcos dair and linke upB and cfalcons fair & dair
Links Up B and Falcons Fair are Semi-spikes. These cannot be Meteor Cancelled (because they don't even work the same as Meteor Smashes or Spikes).

They send you mostly horizontally and are hard to DI. However, you can Smash DI them to get much more DI out of it. A Semi-spike is a move that always sends you at pretty much the same angle even if you DI.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Marth's dair is definitely still a spike. Drago uses the dair to spike people all the time in this video, and I doubt that it can be meteor canceled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqAzaaIADTc

Also, Fox's shine still spikes a bit, but now you might have to get 2 or 3 shines off before the person dies.

SirPsychoMantis

Smash Apprentice
I thought I heard somewhere that you can no longer meteor cancel with your 2nd jump, only with up-b. Is this true or is my memory failing me?

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
From what I've seen, Meteor Cancelling does not exist in Brawl. However, given the reduced hitstun on most moves, spikes are not quite as fatal as they were in melee.

Top Bottom