• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spike Spencer to be Marth's English VA?

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
I was browsing Marth's Wikipedia page and came across his voice actors. It said that Hikaru Midorikawa portrayed Marth in the Japanese anime and in Melee, but then it said that Spike Spencer portrayed Marth in the translated anime. I checked Spencer's Wiki page and it said he was portraying Marth in Brawl.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Spencer#Video_Game_Roles
I'm not saying I believe this, but take it with a grain of salt. I know Wikipedia's not the most reliable source, but seeing as nobody has the North American Brawl yet, this can't be proven true or false anytime soon.

EB08

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
What i like the most from japanese marth´s voice acting are his agony screams (the ones when you receive a knockout blow) and his dying one when flying out as a shooting star.

If he is revamped with a more manly voice, something in the way of Ike maybe (yeah i know they are different styles but at least we can hope something more of a prince voice and not from a model in zoolander movie XD)

Either way im fine..... the japanese voice, even when is kind of too soft for a guy who is leading an army, is very good.

i just hope the english one (if there is one) doesnt sucks.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
I've actually seen a number of things with Spike Spencer... that YouTube video is pretty much a good summary of his voice in the first ten seconds. I didn't even watch the whole thing, but all I know is that I find it difficult to take lead characters that he plays seriously... XD

But which would you rather see... A Spike Spencer Pit, Marth... or GANONDORF!?

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
well his voice in the evangelion thingy was crap... the others were pretty fine. If he do things right there should be no problem...

i hope :S

D

Deleted member

MY EARS! I can imagine it now...

Marth: "I won't believe Pit is an angel! NOOO! ITS A LIE!"

Romancer

Smash Cadet
If Spike Spencer is the VA for Marth in the European and American version of Brawl, i will ban Marth from my Wii.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Oh **** I actually heard it. That's pretty ****ed up.

I want the japanese voice even though I hate listening to them speak japanese since I don't understand it.

Irow

Smash Ace
Spike Spencer as Marth would hurt. I would like hack the sound files and dub it with my own voice...

Jesus Christ, if he VA's Marth he better not sound so ****ty like those clips.

CallistoNTG

Smash Rookie
You know, I'm getting REALLY tired of people's *****ing in regards to Spike doing Marth after they listen to that clip. How about someone tries to find a clip of the mother****ing anime already and see if he did THAT right. If it sucks, then continue to complain (hell, I'll probably join you). But don't pass judgment on his voice work from other characters when he's already done Marth and no one brings up THAT voice.

Anyone got a clip from the movie to confirm his suck, or lack thereof?

Marth: "I won't believe Pit is an angel! NOOO! ITS A LIE!"
I lol'd.

CallistoNTG

Smash Rookie
Disregard this post, Smashboards is currently sucking c*cks. What does it mean to not have nodes anyways?

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
The only Fire Emblem anime videos on YouTube are in Japanese, so I don't know how Spike sounds as Marth.
But I hope it's better than in that video. O_O

I lol'd trying to picture him saying "EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!"

EB08

Dougie Grumble

Smash Rookie
Ehh, I like Spike's work. He made Evangelion for me, I can't tell the difference between "angry", "happy", and "indifferent" from Japanese tones of voice.

Wouldn't complain to see him in (hell, I'm looking forward to it), but wouldn't mind an option to change Marth back to Japanese- it'd suit him more anyway, I can't argue that.

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
I didn't watch that vid (I'm too afraid, after all these reactions) but Marth in English would just be WRONG. Marth is japanese. That is a part of his kick-*ss-ness, and I refuse to see it degraded ><

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
KirbyWorshipper2465 posted something about that in the "English Voice?" topic long ago (he got his info from a site called Anime News Network, though. Here are my thoughts quoted from that topic:

Hmmmm...

I do know he voiced Marth in the English version of the anime (though I've never see it), so I'd guess he'd be the first choice for that character as an English voice.

That said...:
Anime News Network's Encyclopedia Disclaimer[/quote][SIZE="4 said:
Accuracy of Information[/SIZE]

The Anime News Network Encyclopedia is a peer-contributed database relying on a community of contributors and editors to input and validate information. While we do our utmost to keep the Encyclopedia as accurate as possible, due to the very nature of peer-edited databases we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any specific piece of information. When using the Encyclopedia for professional or pedagogic purposes, we strongly recommend verifying the source of the information1. Should you find any errors, please submit an error report, such that we can correct the information and continue to maintain the Encyclopedia's accuracy.

Limited Liability

Having given notice that we do not guarantee the accuracy of the information contained within the Encyclopedia, Anime News Network Inc., its staff and owners, can not be held legally liable for any harm caused by the use, or misuse, of information contained within the Encyclopedia.
...there's a chance this could be bogus because that site sounds like a Wikipedia or Internet Movie Database-kinda dealie. Also, I looked around Spike's site, and though I didn't listen to any of his demos, the only thing Marth-related thing listed there is the "Fire Emblem" anime.

Anyhow, I think it's time for me to post something that I've observed in the "Enemies and Allies" video on the American and Japanese versions of the Dojo last week, but with the following very strong disclaimer:

THIS IS SIMPLY SOMETHING I OBSERVED. DO NOT GET YOUR HOPES UP TOO HIGH OR QUOTE ME ON IT IF I TURN OUT TO BE WRONG.

Okay...

Japanese Version: http://www.smashbros.com/jp/gamemode/modea/modea13.html

American Version: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/modea13.html

When the video loads, move the bar on the timeline to the part where Marth and Meta Knight land after cutting a swath through the Primids that rose up behind them, and listen carefully to the sounds they make in the closeups of them moving their heads to look behind themselves.

Meta Knight's "Ulp!"-like sound is different in the American and Japanese versions of the video, but Marth's little gasp prior to that sounds EXACTLY THE SAME.

TAKE THAT FOR WHAT YOU WILL.
Also, UndrDog posted after me and made a couple good points in his post:
We've had fake info in actor's profiles before.

And plus, don't assume all American vox suck. There are many very good and devoted vox out there.
All we can really do is wait and see...

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
Marth needs a gay voice because he is a gay character. End of discussion. But it needs to be a gay Japanese voice. Marth in english just doesn't seem natural.
How is Marth gay!? Yeah, he wears a tiara, but that's too remember his father, IIRC, or the like. He got a hot wife in Fire Emblem.

No, Marth's not gay.

<long post>
Very well researched. You win the thread!

EB08

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
How is Marth gay!? Yeah, he wears a tiara, but that's too remember his father, IIRC, or the like. He got a hot wife in Fire Emblem.

No, Marth's not gay.
He wears that hairband (that's what I like to call it because that's what it actually looks like) in memory of his SISTER, not his dad (who, by the way, was kind of a jerk according to the stuff I've read...poor Marth :().

Don't feel bad about that, though. ;)

<long post>
Very well researched. You win the thread!

EB08
Wow, thanks! :grin:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
I've been reading that topic at Brawl Central. :)

I'm sooooo happy they left Hikaru Midorikawa's voice intact. ^_^

Soooo, it looks like my little observation in the "Enemies and Allies" video did indeed mean something, AMIRIGHT?! ;)

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
IKE may needs a gay voice because he may be a gay character. End of discussion. But it may needs to be a gay Japanese voice. Ike in english just doesn't seem natural.
FIXED

well my point is: so someone (marth) who has a wife (whit giants boobs) is gay and someone (ike) who escapes in an adventure whit his overly sentimental childhood friend can't be gay? i don't think so.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
im worried about pits VA. seriously man voices plz. both you and marth!!

Top Bottom