• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Speed comparison to Melee

Mischief

Smash Cadet
Most of the speed in melee is due to meta development, people have spend thousands of hours figuring out the best possible followups for almost everything in every matchup. PM is slower because much of the meta is still up to experimentation ontop of further patching. Even top players need to wing a lot of matchups. Give it time yo

Last edited:

MuonManLaserJab

Smash Rookie
What Mischief said. The engines of PM and Melee are too similar for there to be a noticeable speed difference between a Melee matchup in PM compared to in Melee, apart from one's preferred game better matching one's muscle memory, and the placebo and nocebo affects.

GabPR

Smash Lord
"Melee is always fast, just watch a Samus or Jigglypuff match, the speed is incredible!" All sarcasm aside its obvious the great adversity of characters in PM, including those of the floaty and slower side, will lead to some slower paced matchups. If most of the melee floaty or heavy characters where ANY GOOD, then the game itself would seem slower as well. So if you want PM to be as fast as melee, I recommend you nerf everyone except the fast characters (And established melee floties like Jiggly and Samus cuz melee), smaller stages and give PM the melee camera.

theperson91

Smash Apprentice
Also, the problem is comparing a falco ditto. Falco is not as fast as he was in melee. Try Lucas, Ness, Squirtle, or some of the other faster characters and see how they compare to melee.

Sorry:(

Smash Apprentice
Somehow "speed" is not the word that comes to mind when I watch this set. Axe's play is amazing, smooth, and velvety and it took him very little time to 4 stock his opponent, but even watching this a 60fps the speed did not look as intense as in melee.

Is falco affected by the 1-frame physics delay more than other characters because of his lazer and platform techniques?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Somehow "speed" is not the word that comes to mind when I watch this set. Axe's play is amazing, smooth, and velvety and it took him very little time to 4 stock his opponent, but even watching this a 60fps the speed did not look as intense as in melee.

Is falco affected by the 1-frame physics delay more than other characters because of his lazer and platform techniques?
That video look exactly like melee to me...

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Project m feels fast enough to me. I think there are many angles to tackle on this subject. First the camera is more zoomed out in pm. This gives the illusion that the game is being played slower. Second the players from melee have been playing melee well for many years, melee looked nothing like it does right now back in 2005. But I have also heard that this game doesn't have "true dash dancing" and that there is a 1 frame momunetum delay, I don't know what any of this means for the game tho, but some melee extremist say this is extremely important. Fox's short jumps 1 frame earlier in melee, that probobly makes the game a little faster too. I own both games except I don't play melee, I tried using my main from pm to melee and can say that there is a diffrence, I had some difficulty controlling my character, and short jumping in melee made my right hand tired after an hour. I think the game is fast enough and if the pm devs made the game mechanics 100% melee in the next update most of you would be complaining about the controls

Last edited:

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
When I don't play PM for awhile then it feels kinda irregular, but after adapting to the speed I realized the speed is on point. And every other factor is perfect as well

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Project m feels fast enough to me. I think there are many angles to tackle on this subject. First the camera is more zoomed out in pm. This gives the illusion that the game is being played slower. Second the players from melee have been playing melee well for many years, melee looked nothing like it does right now back in 2005. But I have also heard that this game doesn't have "true dash dancing" and that there is a 1 frame momunetum delay, I don't know what any of this means for the game tho, but some melee extremist say this is extremely important. Fox's short jumps 1 frame earlier in melee, that probobly makes the game a little faster too. I own both games except I don't play melee, I tried using my main from pm to melee and can say that there is a diffrence, I had some difficulty controlling my character, and short jumping in melee my right hand tired after an hour. I think the game is fast enough and if the pm devs made the game mechanics 100% melee in the next update most of you would be complaining about the controls
Fox doesn't jump 1 frame later. He has 1 more frame of time to short hop

Narpas_sword

The whole '1 frame momentum delay' has been completely blown out of what it is.
people see that and assume so many things.
It's at the point where i'm afraid of trying to explain it myself, because there's no way that bad information hasn't affected what i've learned either.

@ Strong Badam Strong Badam , hlep?

Top Bottom