• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Speed comparison to Melee

Sorry:(

Smash Apprentice
Melee feels limitless in the heights to witch tech skill can take us. The game can always be played faster. Project M does not feel this way yet. I feel like the top players have already maxed out PM's speed and that makes me sad. I made two gifs of top 5 player Falco dittos, one from Melee the other from PM. The Melee one embodies the thrilling speed I love in Melee. The PM one shows the best I've seem in project M.

Melee: http://gfycat.com/DisastrousPreciousAcornbarnacle

PM: https://gfycat.com/GranularWellinformedKingfisher

I like how PM adds new stuff but every time I play Melee after PM it feels so much more fluid and better optimized.

Can project M achieve Melee's speed. Is that the goal? Does anyone else think PM is slower?

Last edited:

kaizo13

Smash Champion
that PM clip is super old (2.5?)... the game engine has been greatly improved since then. the game is faster, smoother....definitely plays more like Melee now

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice
that PM clip is super old (2.5?)... the game engine has been greatly improved since then. the game is faster, smoother....definitely plays more like Melee now
I agree. I'm waiting to see a high level space animal ditto in 3.5. However I've been playing 3.5 all day and it still doesn't feel quite fast enough. Switchcing Melee felt better.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
I agree. I'm waiting to see a high level space animal ditto in 3.5. However I've been playing 3.5 all day and it still doesn't feel quite fast enough. Switchcing Melee felt better.
I'm just going to let you know that the Pm camera moves and zooms in and out less and more slowly, which gives the illusion that the game is slower. That and I'm pretty sure the momentum delay has a lot to do with it as well.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I feel as if Falco's running animation in Brawl makes him feel comparatively slower than in melee.

Foo

Smash Lord
That gif is sped up bro....

Here's the real speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXgpGBbh5r8 Super fast and awesome still, don't get me wrong. Just saying that that gif is disingenuous.

EDIT: Watched them both at the same time. Falcon falls past ledge in the gif just after falcon gets backaired in the video.

Last edited:

Mean Green

Smash Lord
That gif is sped up bro....

Here's the real speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXgpGBbh5r8 Super fast and awesome still, don't get me wrong. Just saying that that gif is disingenuous.

EDIT: Watched them both at the same time. Falcon falls past ledge in the gif just after falcon gets backaired in the video.
I was under the assumption that people who played both could still tell how fast inputs actually were.

I saw that match, and it's a good example. But I watch a lot of Melee and PM, and the pace of PM still appears slower. If anything, it's probably equal to melee, but tbh I don't think it's faster

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
While PM definitely has slow matchups like melee has slow matchups, I feel like more of the slow characters in the class have the ability to create quick gameplay and that PM has more tech and speed heavy characters than melee does.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
While PM definitely has slow matchups like melee has slow matchups, I feel like more of the slow characters in the class have the ability to create quick gameplay and that PM has more tech and speed heavy characters than melee does.
I agree when you put it like that.

Last edited:

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
Both games has equal movement speed, but for some reason, (a tecnical reason a think) in PM is much easier to move around and do flashy stuffs, and a lot of characters has the potencial to move and fight to the melee space animals levels.

i´m a lucas player, usually people get impressed by the insane pressure and combos that lucas can do.

Foo

Smash Lord
You know, at first, I was under the predisposition that pm and melee were just as fast and technical. However, after seeing this video, I realized that melee is so much more advanced than pm will ever be. I present to you, the 30XX Fox combo video.

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
You know, at first, I was under the predisposition that pm and melee were just as fast and technical. However, after seeing this video, I realized that melee is so much more advanced than pm will ever be. I present to you, the 30XX Fox combo video.

Strong the sarcams is in this one. (star wars yoke)

Smash Apprentice

Why is one of the foxes a falcon?

Smash Apprentice
The set looked great. Felt bad for Hax. He did like 6 rolls at the end of his last stock which were all punished.

3.5 speed is looking really great. PMDT should be proud. I think there still needs to be a bit more optimization, or perhaps just the removal of the physics delay. I'm quite picky. I even feel a difference between 20XX hack pack and Melee. Nothing runs quite as quick/smooth as vanilla Melee.

Foo

Smash Lord
The set looked great. Felt bad for Hax. He did like 6 rolls at the end of his last stock which were all punished.

3.5 speed is looking really great. PMDT should be proud. I think there still needs to be a bit more optimization, or perhaps just the removal of the physics delay. I'm quite picky. I even feel a difference between 20XX hack pack and Melee. Nothing runs quite as quick/smooth as vanilla Melee.
Eh, I think it all comes down to personally preference. For you, nothing will ever run better than vanilla melee because that's your game. For me, PM is much smoother. When I play melee, it feels super clunky. I wind up full hopping, everywhere, messing up because I try to rar, messing up jc grabs, etc. Don't even get me started at how much harder I find dash dancing in melee. It's not because either is clunkier, it's just my muscle memory doesn't quite fit melee and yours doesn't quite fit PM.

I think both games have equal movement potential, they're just ever so slightly different.

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I think it all comes down to personally preference. For you, nothing will ever run better than vanilla melee because that's your game. For me, PM is much smoother. When I play melee, it feels super clunky. I wind up full hopping, everywhere, messing up because I try to rar, messing up jc grabs, etc. Don't even get me started at how much harder I find dash dancing in melee. It's not because either is clunkier, it's just my muscle memory doesn't quite fit melee and yours doesn't quite fit PM.

I think both games have equal movement potential, they're just ever so slightly different.
My only movement issue in PM is doing falling aerials through platforms. In Melee I can do shield drop into an up-air to hit a character standing on the same platform. In PM I can rarely if ever regular platform drop into an up-air to hit someone on the same platform Sometimes if I flick down really fast, like short-hop with fox fast, I drop slow enough to do my up-air.

Anyone know if you fall through platforms faster in PM. falling aerials are a staple in my combo game but it seems to be so much harder in PM, particularly with falcon.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
My only movement issue in PM is doing falling aerials through platforms. In Melee I can do shield drop into an up-air to hit a character standing on the same platform. In PM I can rarely if ever regular platform drop into an up-air to hit someone on the same platform Sometimes if I flick down really fast, like short-hop with fox fast, I drop slow enough to do my up-air.

Anyone know if you fall through platforms faster in PM. falling aerials are a staple in my combo game but it seems to be so much harder in PM, particularly with falcon.
I think it's definitely that you're fast-falling it.

I just messed around with Falcon a bit and as long as you don't fast-fall the drop, it's really easy to hit someone. When I intentionally fast-fell, I couldn't hit them at all.

Smash Apprentice
I think it's definitely that you're fast-falling it.

I just messed around with Falcon a bit and as long as you don't fast-fall the drop, it's really easy to hit someone. When I intentionally fast-fell, I couldn't hit them at all.
How do I keep from fast-falling?

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
How do I keep from fast-falling?
It's just a matter of releasing the control stick quickly. Once you hit the bottom of the control stick 'area' notch... thing, just let go.

Last edited:

Shaoberg

Smash Rookie
I agree, Melee feels more fluid and better optimized, I notice that playing Melee after PM.

Smash Apprentice
Mango's combo on PPMD in the above gif shows off just how gross Melee can be, good gross that is.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
It was mentioned before, but I'm pretty sure a lot of how 'fast' Melee is can be an illusion attributed to the camera.

Melee's camera style is much more fluid, dynamic, and zooms in-and-out much more during gameplay, making everything feel a ton faster.

PM's camera isn't quite as hectic.

If you want a better method to compare speeds, try playing a match between spacies using the 'Fixed Camera' mode in Melee and in PM. It might help showcase the speed of both games better.

Smash Apprentice
ya . . . I'm sold on PM now. The AZ sets have made me a believer.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Just gonna say this, people can take this as they will... but people tend to put to much attention, or blame, on the game instead of the players or characters.

Smash Apprentice
Just gonna say this, people can take this as they will... but people tend to put to much attention, or blame, on the game instead of the players or characters.
Just gonna say I've seen Axe's 3.02 falco and it never looked as crispy as the 3.5 one. It's the game bro. The new landing detection stuff in 3.5 has changed it all.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I enjoyed the feel of 3.02 and whenever I played Melee I felt like it was jagged. I'm not used to Melee at all and things like wavedashes and short hops felt slower and clunky. It all really comes down to what you're used to.

3.5 absolutely blew my mind. If you want to see a buttery character, play 3.5 Falcon. I don't know what they did exactly, whether it's all game mechanics like stage detection or animation overhaul or both, but dash-dancing with Falcon in 3.5 is so freaking smooth. It might be his new running animation but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Well,last time I played Melee(though it was after I played Brawl for a while,so...)it felt WAY too fast.Yet PM feels like the perfect speed for Melee mechanics.
Smash 4 has a good speed for Brawl-mechanics.Best of both worlds,for me.

Top Bottom