• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spectating a hacked replay

awsomesauce

Smash Apprentice
I was on spectator mode today because I had just gotten disconected from a taunt party that I had been beating up for awhile. I originally was a taunter alongside them but I became bored and decided to attack them. The decent player left and shortly after they disconected. Anyway I was watching, hoping maybe to see a decent match or two. I came upon a game where the players were struggling to hit each other. They were throwing out what seemed like random moves and walking of the stage and generally doing dumb stuff. There wasn't much time left and the scores suprisingly were tied. Sudden Death begins and the players are not moving. After a few seconds past the game time began to speed up and bombs were droping like hot cakes.

I know there are a few versions of hacks that discretly find there way into online brawls and such but this was most likely from someones brawl replay data. If you have ever played Brawl minus and saved a replay, and then later watch it on regular Brawl it looked exactly like that.

I really wonder if replays go through some sort of process before they are allowed to be spectated. I have never experienced anything like this before today. If you have any strange occurences that happened in Spectator mode go ahead and share.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
I was on spectator mode today because I had just gotten disconected from a taunt party that I had been beating up for awhile. I originally was a taunter alongside them but I became bored and decided to attack them. The decent player left and shortly after they disconected. Anyway I was watching, hoping maybe to see a decent match or two. I came upon a game where the players were struggling to hit each other. They were throwing out what seemed like random moves and walking of the stage and generally doing dumb stuff. There wasn't much time left and the scores suprisingly were tied. Sudden Death begins and the players are not moving. After a few seconds past the game time began to speed up and bombs were droping like hot cakes.

I know there are a few versions of hacks that discretly find there way into online brawls and such but this was most likely from someones brawl replay data. If you have ever played Brawl minus and saved a replay, and then later watch it on regular Brawl it looked exactly like that.

I really wonder if replays go through some sort of process before they are allowed to be spectated. I have never experienced anything like this before today. If you have any strange occurences that happened in Spectator mode go ahead and share.
Hmm, well I have this non-hacked replay where, in the sudden death, I, the Diddy Kong, was supposed to glide toss my banana peel to this Sonic player and then u-throw him and then d-taunt, but when I went to watch it, me and Sonic started at the right side of FD when the Sudden Death happened instead of the left side, we did a bunch of random stuff, then I walked off the right edge of the stage while dodging, with Sonic at the other side soon doing the same thing, and then I died. It probably had something to do with the Devil assist trophy that was out when the "real" match ended.

Your spectated replay was most likely a glitched replay like mine. It was probably just a normal match where the players were actually hitting each other and one of them won, explaining why they weren't doing anything in the Sudden Death, but the replay, when at least one of them went to save it, got glitched for no reason like mine and everything got screwed. There was this one time I spectated this replay of a match on Smashville where the damage percentage things that show the character and everything were both, like, mutated into conjoined twins.

awsomesauce

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, well I have this non-hacked replay where, in the sudden death, I, the Diddy Kong, was supposed to glide toss my banana peel to this Sonic player and then u-throw him and then d-taunt, but when I went to watch it, me and Sonic started at the right side of FD when the Sudden Death happened instead of the left side, we did a bunch of random stuff, then I walked off the right edge of the stage while dodging, with Sonic at the other side soon doing the same thing, and then I died. It probably had something to do with the Devil assist trophy that was out when the "real" match ended.
I have had a replay become corrupted. That is about the extent of my replay data screwing up. No I believe what happened to me was that someone sent a battle, that took place in minus or one of the other hacked modifications of Brawl, and it was played in spectator mode. It only looked messed up because it was played through in regular Brawl and not the modification in which it was originally saved.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. What took place happened in Spectator mode not in my replays. I was not participating in the battle only watching.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Glitched personal replays

I haven't been fortunate to witness a hacked match in Spectator Mode online, but I frequently see the players' stats overlap one another on the bottom of the screen. It mostly happens with the 3-player matches, though I don't know why.

As for the glitched replays mentioned previously in this thread, I have some of my own. In one particular match I played early Thursday evening, I was Samus (and later ZSS) in Team Battle partnered with a Pikachu fighting a Sonic and a Toon Link on Sonic's stage. The match itself wasn't anything spectacular when I played it originally, but since it is so recent, I remember the details of how it went. The replay does everything I remember correctly in the first 2 minutes, but the Sudden Death was completely glitched up. I vividly remember killing Sonic with ZSS's flip kick, and then turning around quickly to kill Toon Link with a dash attack and finishing with the "Is that all?" taunt. Well, the replay correctly had my ZSS killing Sonic, but her dash attack actually overshot Toon Link! So there I am in the replay taunting while Toon Link is alive and suddenly it speeds up really fast with my partner spamming Down+B really quickly a couple times in a row. This ends up killing a motionless Toon Link instead.

This sort of thing has happened to me in replays of other games like Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 with saved ghost data, so I suspect the concept is similar. Replays are merely playing back the button sequences entered in the match. Occasionally replays get it wrong if just one thing is slightly off, and the effect cascades for the remainder of the replay.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Ah, that stuff. I ended up in a target smash Lv.1 stage online once. There was wolf and marth, my god were the players such noobs. That was sometime ago though. Never went there again....

Jelley

Smash Cadet
That happens when the players desynch. Desynching is caused by certain hacks on wifi.

Top Bottom