• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Source Gaming - Straight from the Source: Dr. Mario “Leaks”

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Recently there was a fake stage leak that implied there would be a Dr. Mario stage coming to the game. The leak had many convinced as it was a well done job. The awesome folks over at Source Gaming sat down the creators of the leak for an interview to learn a bit about them and how they created the leak. A preview is included below.

---​

Alright, this is PushDustIn from SourceGaming.Info. Today, I’ll be interviewing gameonion, and Nibroc. They created the fake Dr. Mario stage render that had many people fooled. gameonion, why don’t you introduce yourself real quick.

Hey everyone, I’m Joscha (mostly known as gameonion) and I helped create the Dr. Mario-leak. I don’t know if this is important, but I also own a YouTube-channel, on which I’m uploading Smash-related videos on a regular basis. I’m also pretty active on the /r/smashbros-subreddit.

Nibroc: would you be so kind as to introduce yourself as well?

I’m a 3D modeler, who mostly does video game characters and video game related projects. Right now, this is mostly a hobby, but I hope to one day do graphic designing and 3D model work as a job.

gameonion: would you consider yourself more of a content creator, or an artist?

Honestly, I consider myself more of a content creator. Mostly because that’s the thing I like doing more.

What kind of artistic experience do you have, Nibroc?

I’ve done at least over 2 Years with way more then over 800 renders… I’d say I’m pretty experience, I like to make most of my renders around 2000x200x (pretty HD stuff).

Nibroc: what kind of renders have you made? Do you focus on character design, scenery, etc?

Mostly just Character design–despite doing a stage model for this render, my scenery and landscape skills are not the greatest. I’ve done classic gaming icons characters like Sonic, Crash, Megaman, Frogger and lots more.

---​

Want to see the rest of the interview? Be sure to check it out over at Source Gaming. While you're there consider supporting Source Gaming's efforts on Patreon as they provide all of these amazing translations and articles absolutely free.

SmashCapps always loves all of the articles from Source Gaming as they are incredibly high quality and interesting work. To keep up with his own writing adventures follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Meh. The stage looked interesting, but realizing it was a fake didn't effect me.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
But wait, this doesn't say anything about the other stage leak.

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Ahh, didn't know they were behind the N64 Classic Mode fakes, too. Quite the talented folks. Though if they wanted to make it even more convincing, videos if they have that type of skill displaying a brief fight would be largely convincing. Really great stuff from them, however.

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
Don't people learn? If it's not on the disk or in the patch then the leak is 99% fake. It's too easy to make a fake leak.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Wow who the hell cares? I can't believe these guys actually got death threats over a dr mario stage being fake. I also can't believe the level of attention seeking with these two morons.

They made a thread on r/smashbros, basically an unauthorized AMA... They made sure to get themselves interviewed about it.. and now they're featured on smashboards front page.

Nobody cares. You made a fake stage, people got angry, and then you admitted to it because you want internet attention (the worst form of attention) You guys are pathetic in every sense of the word.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I heard it was fake over Twitter a few hours after the official update. Props to the two of them; they did a good job with the render. At least it worked well enough to convince most of us for a while.

Just another reminder to take these things right a grain of salt, right?

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Ahh, didn't know they were behind the N64 Classic Mode fakes, too. Quite the talented folks. Though if they wanted to make it even more convincing, videos if they have that type of skill displaying a brief fight would be largely convincing. Really great stuff from them, however.
Classic mode fake?
Explain!

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
No respect for people that waste their time and talents getting people hyped on false news. Kudos to dissapointing the people that might have been looking forward to this, and for not doing a good enough job to get the rest even interested - feel proud. Glorifying them with a spot on smashboards news is undeserving.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
No respect for people that waste their time and talents getting people hyped on false news. Kudos to dissapointing the people that might have been looking forward to this, and for not doing a good enough job to get the rest even interested - feel proud. Glorifying them with a spot on smashboards news is undeserving.
Dag dude.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
With the game already came out for a while now, leaks are getting more and more realistic by hacks.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Let me know what you guys think of this interview. I'll be interviewing the admin of SSB4Dojo very soon so comments on the format would be greatly appreciated!

I did this interview because I was really curious why people create fake leaks. I hope it gives insight in why people like to fool people, and makes us more skeptical of renders in the future.

Thanks again for the feature @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill !

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Last edited:

Cyber_Mario_King64

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0662-4491-5128
It's too bad... Doc has been getting a lot of bad things said about him. He's currently 50th on the tier list. R.I.P Top of A-tier in Melee :drmario:

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
But wait, this doesn't say anything about the other stage leak.
if this isnt real then sadly great bay isnt real. go back and take a look at that great bay picture toon link just looks odd and disproportionate to me.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
What does making fake leaks accomplish? Sure, they're cool and well made, but it gets people's hopes up and they just get let down if they believe they're real.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
What does making fake leaks accomplish? Sure, they're cool and well made, but it gets people's hopes up and they just get let down if they believe they're real.
I mean to me personally, capturing the Smash aesthetics artwork and style for character "leaks" is a very cool accomplishment in its own right, and you gotta admit, the speculation and all of the thought that went into discussion all over the Internet for the Dr. Mario stage was cool to see, with people trying to debunk this and struggling to, the only thing people catching that was suspicious was the lack of video footage of the stage in action. The fact outlets like Gamexplain caught wind of it and were wary but seemed convinced it had the potential of it being legit can be credited to the talented folks who worked hard to make them look as legit as possible.

I dunno, I jut feel something can be said about a person if they can capture the essence of Smash wonderfully through these fakes.

Top Bottom