• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai Talks Fire Emblem in Smash, End of DLC

Source Gaming has translated a new interview with Smash series creator, Masahiro Sakurai. The translation was led by soma. This interview comes from the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary Book which was released in Japan a couple of weeks ago.

In it, Sakurai discusses Marth's potential inclusion in Smash 64 and how he's approached Fire Emblem in Smash. There's a lot of interesting tidbits in this interview!

For example, Sakurai discusses his approach to Roy's design in Melee.

Interviewer: The direction the character was going in changed two or three times, and his outfit was also changed three times—or so I’ve heard.

Sakurai: When I first heard a description of Roy’s character, I felt he was a bit more energetic, had a bit more strength inside of him. So, in comparison to Marth, whose sword is stronger at the tip, I made Roy’s sword stronger near the hilt, which I felt made them feel very different. But I played Binding Blade, and he’s really not like that at all!
Interviewer: In Smash, a lot of Fire Emblem characters have “counter” moves. Is there a reason behind that?

Sakurai: That comes directly from the Fire Emblem games. In Fire Emblem, first you have your attack phase, and then the enemy attacks. That pattern repeats itself, so to express the nature of those battles, I gave them counter moves…although Robin doesn’t have one (laughs). Robin doesn’t seem like a counterattack-type character to me.
At the end of the interview, Sakurai confirms that DLC is ending soon. When asked what the future of Smash was, Sakurai answered, "Who knows?"

For more interviews from Sakurai, check out Source Gaming's older translation posts.

Speaking of the end of DLC and the upcoming broadcast, Source Gaming will be hosting the next SourceCast live. For more details, follow the Source Gaming Twitter account.

PushDustIn is hyping responsibly. You can follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

D
Thanks for the post Push it's nice to hear Sakurai's thoughts on Roy's inclusion and of course confirmation that the next DLC will probably be our last.

Interesting how Roy came out as a character before Binding Blade was scheduled to be released earlier. I wonder if having Binding Blade released would have made Sakurai second-guess himself on the character, make him more unique, and/or possibly delay the game further.

Something "we all knew", but I've had countless arguments over it. Now it's set in stone.

Spazzy_D Spazzy_D told me that even last night someone was arguing to him about it.
Yeah, people still like to argue that relevancy is not an actual factor. Well, there it is, from the man himself.

Muh relevancy indeed.

"Roy" was originally going to be named "Ike"?
Let that sink in. :4feroy: was going to be named :4myfriends:. The character who took his old name wound up replacing him until his DLC was released.

I find that hilarious for some reason.

Last edited:
"When I first heard a description of Roy’s character, I felt he was a bit more energetic, had a bit more strength inside of him...
But I played Binding Blade, and he’s really not like that at all!"

Yup. Roy is trash in FE6. No strength at all.

E
I love how Sakurai says that Smash Roy is nothing like Binding Blade Roy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, people still like to argue that relevancy is not an actual factor. Well, there it is, from the man himself.

Muh relevancy indeed.
I think it's more that some people act like trends are the only factor, when it quite clearly isn't.

The end all be all reason for a character getting in most of the time is Sakurai wanted them in the game. Appealing to trends is more just a possible reason Sakurai would want a character than something that goes above it.

--------

I'm still eager to hear Sakurai talk about Rosalina & Luma's inclusion/development in an interview. They're the only non-DLC newcomer he hasn't talked about in an interview, as far as I know.

You know, this really gives me hope that Roy is now likely a set character to appear in Smash from now on. No more cuts. :) Much like Mewtwo.
Roy and Lucas, who are unlikely to appear in future games, needed the DLC treatment more than Wolf.

They're now two time Smash vets, which means a lot. Wolf is likely to return in future Smash installments regardless.

We don't know the next patch will be the final DLC, at the same time I doubt they made stuff from the ballot all within 2 months of the ballot ending unless they planned on just using early voting results.

DLC is ending soon, it was a bumpy ride.

Nearing the end of DLC seems fair. Monster Hunter I believe usually supports DLC for up to a year after release, and that game isn't a year old yet.

Sm4sh has been out for over a year on the other hand.

But I guess my opinion could be countered with "Sm4sh is more popular than MH4U."

This is cool stuff to hear!

But... I don't mean to be negative, but the fact that he specifically mentions not giving Ike sword beams pisses me off... likening it to Robin not having a counterattack because he doesn't seem like he'd have one, using Nosferatu despite not being the right class for it in his own game, or it being "all part of balancing the game" doesn't seem like a good justification to me.
It's clear that I'm going to have salt about this forever, though, so whatever.

"I don’t know whether Fire Emblem will have many more games in the future, but it’s not as if we have a stipulation that says “we have to include the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game.” Moreover, we don’t even know if there’ll be another Smash game."

I guess we can say that this doesn't bode well for characters from Fates or any other future Fire Emblem title. Or does it...

Last edited:
Roy and Lucas, who are unlikely to appear in future games, needed the DLC treatment more than Wolf.

They're now two time Smash vets, which means a lot. Wolf is likely to return in future Smash installments regardless.
I may be wrong but... Maybe Sakurai is going all out in this game (Cloud as DLC!!!!) Cause maybe it's the last one...

I may be wrong but... Maybe Sakurai is going all out in this game (Cloud as DLC!!!!) Cause maybe it's the last one...
He actually made it sound like he wanted to make the next Smash game in this interview.

Sakurai: It’s pretty difficult. If I keep making Smash, I get to work on interesting things like Ryu, but if I leave, I don’t know if the staff could do it by themselves.

He actually made it sound like he wanted to make the next Smash game in this interview.

Sakurai: It’s pretty difficult. If I keep making Smash, I get to work on interesting things like Ryu, but if I leave, I don’t know if the staff could do it by themselves.
I don't know if I want him back for a 5th game. If he comes back we probably won't get characters like Ridley and Waluigi. I don't know what it is, but he just seems to have something against the villains. I also wasn't too impressed with the single player modes he gave us this game, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about him doing more of them considering he took out target smash and created smash tour. Besides he's getting old, he should stop now while he's still got some years left, and work on other games.
Maybe its his last one, but if this is the last smash game, the DLC would be going on for much longer. When the new system comes out, people will want smash for that system. Besides it would kill Nintendo if they just stopped making one of their greatest franchises.

Yeah Wolf has popularity outside of smash.

Last edited:
We don't know the next patch will be the final DLC, at the same time I doubt they made stuff from the ballot all within 2 months of the ballot ending unless they planned on just using early voting results.
And basing all of their Ballot content off only the first half (or first third!) of the time it was open just doesn't seem like something Sakurai would do. Plus, the guy is pretty known for making defensive statements like this, only to surpass them. Remember when he didn't think they'd make very much DLC?

And considering this interview was from a Fire Emblem artbook, it may have been conducted without anyone--Sakurai included--knowing exactly when it'd be available to the public. Maybe he was just playing it safe in case it originally wasn't going to be out until next year, or something. Just spitballing, but it's worth considering, at least.

I don't know if I want him back for a 5th game. If he comes back we probably won't get characters like Ridley and Waluigi. I don't know what it is, but he just seems to have something against the villains.
Keep in mind, Sakurai turned down the Villager and Mii Fighters for Brawl. He's changed his mind on characters before.

Copying my comment from Reddit:

"'... I don't know if the staff could do it by themselves.'

Much love to Sakurai, but that's a pretty arrogant mindset tbh.
Sakurai is staff too. If not him, then another."

Last edited:
Top Bottom