• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] aMSa on Being a Pro-Player

Soma and the Source Gaming team have translated an interview between aMSa and Famitsu Weekly.

In this interview, aMSa discusses his daily routine, and how he manages to incorporate training into his busy workday.

By day, he’s an office worker at an IT company. “On weekdays, I watch VODs on my commute, and after I get home, I practice tech skill for about an hour,” he says. He prepares for his work the next day, and goes to sleep by at least 1AM. He practices heavily on weekends, going to a fellow Smasher’s house. He says that “on intense days, we might even play for upwards of 12 hours.”
He also talked about working in IT.

aMSa: That’s right. In my mind, the ideal image of a professional gamer is someone who can properly communicate and convey what’s so amazing about the game he plays, and can share that knowledge to improve and energize the game industry. I think a big element of that is going to tournaments, and commentating or analyzing sets, for example.
The full interview can be read on Source Gaming.

This is another reminder that Sakurai will be hosting a live-stream event on March 10th, 2016 9:30 PM (Japan Time). Source Gaming will be translating the stream over its Twitter.

PushDustIn needs to step up his training as he has a difficult time 'settling it in Smash'. Please follow him on his Twitter to stay updated.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

It has to be tough balancing a full-time job like that with the job of playing Smash, especially since using a character like Yoshi, generally seen as having inferior tools, warrants a lot of practice.

I wish him luck with his future tournaments / training. I can's imagine sleeping at 1AM. And a stream on March 10th? That's the day Revelations can be downloaded.

If he has another job I think that means he isn't a pro, by definition...
Well, hungrybox studied engineering?(source needed) or something while playing melee for a while if I'm correct.

I'd say he's pretty pro as he is able to take sets from mango. We need more sets to see tough :D

You can have another job and be professional at something else. Difficult, but possible if you're dedicated enough.
pro·fes·sion·al
prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l/
(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
"a professional boxer"
"a professional rugby player"

Last edited:
pro·fes·sion·al
prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l/
(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
"a professional boxer"
"a professional rugby player"
Regardless of sending me a definition that doesn't mean anything, you can have multiple careers and make them concurrent with each other. Apparently for aMSa, it can be done. Once again, difficult but possible.

How on earth does he function on 5 and a half hours of sleep? I struggle to make it through the day with anything less than 7 >.>
Still, it's encouraging to know you can balance a work life and still play Smash a lot!

How on earth does he function on 5 and a half hours of sleep? I struggle to make it through the day with anything less than 7 >.>
Still, it's encouraging to know you can balance a work life and still play Smash a lot!
That is a good catch. You're right, Amsa isn't getting enough sleep. The truth is that sleep deprivation is actually hindering his ability to play. Somebody needs to message him about this because he will play better when he starts sleeping more.

Did anybody else notice that Amsa is only practicing techskill for an hour a day? The 12 hours a day look like rare exceptions and from the text it sounds like hes spending those 12 hours playing people instead of doing that techskill practice for 12 hours.

If one of our best players is this technical after only an hour of practice a day, what does that say about the time the rest of us are putting into practice this game? It sounds like most of us serious players aren't even putting in an hour of day of techskill practice.

So what will happen if you decide to practice techskill for 2-3 hours a day and get netplay with a good connection and good lagless play to play people outside of that practice? Where will you be in this game in a year?

Probably in the top 100 of melee players. Maybe top 50 or better.

Last edited:
If one of our best players is this technical after only an hour of practice a day, what does that say about the time the rest of us are putting into practice this game? It sounds like most of us serious players aren't even putting in an hour of day of techskill practice.

So what will happen if you decide to practice techskill for 2-3 hours a day and get netplay with a good connection and good lagless play to play people outside of that practice? Where will you be in this game in a year?
I feel most of us:
1) never can get a good matchup with peeps with a good connection
2) Can never truly practice well unless we go to a club of some sorts
3) don't end up having enough time to TRULY practice well..

Top Bottom