• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

GhostRoy

Smash Apprentice
Grand Rapids, MI United States of America
NNID
RoyUchiha
I'm no marketer but I really can't see how Disney could pass on an opportunity to bring so many new fans to Kingdom Hearts. As well as a lot of money from people buying him as he is highly requested without having to do any of the development work for the character unless as said by other people in the comments Nintendo wanted Donald, Goofy, Mickey representation.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I'm no marketer but I really can't see how Disney could pass on an opportunity to bring so many new fans to Kingdom Hearts. As well as a lot of money from people buying him as he is highly requested without having to do any of the development work for the character unless as said by other people in the comments Nintendo wanted Donald, Goofy, Mickey representation.
I like to think of it as "Disney doesn't necessarily need Sora in smash, but if Nintendo wants him smash, then Disney would very much like to take full advantage of the situation". Ofcourse, this is assuming that Disney is overcharging for Sora. Meanwhile, we've been seeing an effort from Disney to push more KH content, so they might be taking the KH brand more seriously than they have in the past. At least, that's how it is from my perspective. I'm not business savvy myself, so this is just speculation based on things I've picked up in the past.

GhostRoy

Smash Apprentice
Grand Rapids, MI United States of America
NNID
RoyUchiha
I like to think of it as "Disney doesn't necessarily need Sora in smash, but if Nintendo wants him smash, then Disney would very much like to take full advantage of the situation". Ofcourse, this is assuming that Disney is overcharging for Sora. Meanwhile, we've been seeing an effort from Disney to push more KH content, so they might be taking the KH brand more seriously than they have in the past. At least, that's how it is from my perspective. I'm not business savvy myself, so this is just speculation based on things I've picked up in the past.
Yeah that makes more sense sadly

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
what was troll about it?
The fact that it was such a huge meme request yet they added him anyway. At least that's how a lot of people tended to view Minecraft Steve anyway. His reveal was basically a big **** you to anyone who thought he had no chance because of how he looked like as a character. Which is the reason I personally found the reveal to be hilarious.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The fact that it was such a huge meme request yet they added him anyway. At least that's how a lot of people tended to view Minecraft Steve anyway. His reveal was basically a big **** you to anyone who thought he had no chance because of how he looked like as a character. Which is the reason I personally found the reveal to be hilarious.
i seriously doubt they added him for the memes

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
im fairly certain it was the games success rather than the characters popularity
Pretty much, it was due to the success, they even bragged about it when revealing it. Only the fandom believes in such thing as characters getting in due to something so trivial that isn't even spectated by the majority of people out there, or that people even care about at all. Nintendo and Microsoft being such buddies lately with game ports and smash DLCs and such, is just proof enough to know that Steve coming in is just yet again another case of that being a reality lately. It's nothing else.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
After seeing how detailed and complex Steve is I think this batch of characters is going to be very faithful to their source material. On the small chance that Sora is in, I bet we'll be seeing the command menu and potentially context/proximity sensitive attacks.

Also I kept looking into the users claiming Sora is out. There's some potential that this info passed through either the PapaGenos or SMASHEra discord servers. That's assuming I'm not just going crazy and seeing connections where none exist. Anyone here frequent either of those places?

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
After seeing how detailed and complex Steve is I think this batch of characters is going to be very faithful to their source material. On the small chance that Sora is in, I bet we'll be seeing the command menu and potentially context/proximity sensitive attacks.

Also I kept looking into the users claiming Sora is out. There's some potential that this info passed through either the PapaGenos or SMASHEra discord servers. That's assuming I'm not just going crazy and seeing connections where none exist. Anyone here frequent either of those places?
I’m in the PapaGenos discord, but I never saw this info in there.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
i seriously doubt they added him for the memes
They definitely didn't from a business side of thing. But you'd have to be crazy to think that they don't know how people view the character when it comes to the speculative community. A lot of people liked to think Steve was a meme pick. I mean even in his reveal Sakurai was memeing the decision process for the character. Fact of the matter is at least when it comes to speculation a lot of people just saw Steve as a meme character pick. Despite how arguably inevitable something Minecraft related in Smash was in hindsight.

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
After seeing both Steve and Banjo get in, I am not as worried about Sora getting in over another popular Square Enix character. You know who I'm talking about.
Yeah, I’ve been thinking about that to, but here’s the thing, Banjo and Steve got in in two separate seasons of DLC. At this point, I think everyone’s favorite blue puppet is inevitable and I actually think he’ll be the next character, so with that in mind, I think Sora’s inclusion is contingent upon getting more DLC outside of Vol. 2, whether that be a true Vol. 3 or something else. I guess there’s nothing stopping Sakurai from putting both of them in the same pass, but I’m just thinking that he won’t.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Yeah, I’ve been thinking about that to, but here’s the thing, Banjo and Steve got in in two separate seasons of DLC. At this point, I think everyone’s favorite blue puppet is inevitable and I actually think he’ll be the next character, so with that in mind, I think Sora’s inclusion is contingent upon getting more DLC outside of Vol. 2, whether that be a true Vol. 3 or something else. I guess there’s nothing stopping Sakurai from putting both of them in the same pass, but I’m just thinking that he won’t.
What makes you think Geno is the next character?

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, what makes you so sure about Geno getting in? I don’t think he has that strong of a shot at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hes not everyones favourite.....

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
What makes you think Geno is the next character?
It’s based on a lot of things:
His Mii costume hasn’t returned yet,
It’s Mario’s 35th anniversary,
From what I understand, his name has been heard in insider circles even since 2018 (Fatman being a notable example),
Two SMRPG songs on YouTube were randomly hit copyright strikes by Nintendo, not Square.

Im sure there’s more things I forgot to mention, but those are the points that immediately came to mind. Now, just to be clear, I am not an insider by any means, this is all speculation based on research that I’ve done. All of this could amount to nothing, or his Mii costume could come back, I have no idea, but I just have a sneaking suspicion that he’ll be playable, maybe not as the next character, but I do think he’ll be in at some point.

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
Just found this bad boy of an article which only makes me believe that the Sora talks are still an ongoing thing. I understand that it's a far reaching claim, but I'll stick with it:
I wish talks continues and maybe in a Fighter Pass 3 with all the money from Minecraft sales in pass 2... :D

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
I wish talks continues and maybe in a Fighter Pass 3 with all the money from Minecraft sales in pass 2... :D
Something to consider is that all the way back in January 2019, even before Plant came out, 16 dummyslots were found in the games files, meaning that after FP2 is done, there would be 4 of those slots that remained unfilled. I’m not saying anything is definite, but it is something to keep in mind.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Something to consider is that all the way back in January 2019, even before Plant came out, 16 dummyslots were found in the games files, meaning that after FP2 is done, there would be 4 of those slots that remained unfilled. I’m not saying anything is definite, but it is something to keep in mind.
bear in mind that costume that change a characters model, like joker's shcool outfit and the four heroes, take up multiple slots

M@R!3

Smash Ace
So, Sora is deconfirmed now? What happened?
There was some discussion on another site where multiple people claimed they heard negotiations for Sora fell through over pricing. Sora was supposedly so expensive to license that it made the costs for Cloud look like "chump change". There's too many missing details right now to say for sure, and nobody with a reputation for having accurate insider info has backed it so far. At least, not in any public fashion.

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
bear in mind that costume that change a characters model, like joker's shcool outfit and the four heroes, take up multiple slots
Are you sure, because even if we were to take out Steve’s costumes, we would be over 16 with Jokers school uniform, the heroes and female Byleth. I guess they could add more slots to compensate for more costumes, but to my knowledge, that code hasn’t changed since it was found.

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
There was some discussion on another site where multiple people claimed they heard negotiations for Sora fell through over pricing. Sora was supposedly so expensive to license that it made the costs for Cloud look like "chump change". There's too many missing details right now to say for sure, and nobody with a reputation for having accurate insider info has backed it so far. At least, not in any public fashion.
Thanks for the resume.

It seems strange to me. If his source is from Nintendo, okay, but ...

Sora is Disney and Cloud is Square, how can they compare the price of both if they are two different companies?

But yeah, I totally see Disney being the problem with their money.

So Imran was wrong about Master Chief or Sora in this pass? Sora disconfirmed by Disney and Master Chief by Steve ...

MC was Steve's leakbait? Maybe Nintendo is planning a third pass and Imran heard about that? Maybe there is still hope ...

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Thanks for the resume.

It seems strange to me. If his source is from Nintendo, okay, but ...

Sora is Disney and Cloud is Square, how can they compare the price of both if they are two different companies?

But yeah, I totally see Disney being the problem with their money.

So Imran was wrong about Master Chief or Sora in this pass? Sora disconfirmed by Disney and Master Chief by Steve ...

MC was Steve's leakbait? Maybe Nintendo is planning a third pass and Imran heard about that? Maybe there is still hope ...
The sources affiliation is unidentified, though one person did claim to have a contact within Disney. I have doubts about the guy claiming to have a Disney contact, but the other two have a big enough presence in Smash speculation and discussion that I could see them having some legit info. Imran Khan was only speculating about MC or Sora being the big character in Pass 2.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Are you sure, because even if we were to take out Steve’s costumes, we would be over 16 with Jokers school uniform, the heroes and female Byleth. I guess they could add more slots to compensate for more costumes, but to my knowledge, that code hasn’t changed since it was found.
its also possible that those dummy slots were not placeholders for future characters, id need to double check that though. also those dummy slots also date back to before the second pass was planned so we cant really use it to speculate here. and of course theres another possibility that they were made for plan that fell through sakurai did say he wanted to have 8 heroes in one rather than four

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well in that case, if the KH license IS acquired, then there's literally NO reason to make Sora a Mii Costume.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Well in that case, if the KH license IS acquired, then there's literally NO reason to make Sora a Mii Costume.
Pretty much, but that was already the general consensus to begin with. Unless licensing for the purpose of a costume or spirit is significantly less, it's all or nothing for Sora and Kingdom Hearts in Smash.

xleft

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0885-3621-8019
I feel like all the info about Sora being disconfirmed is a bunch of bs
How do these people know that he was expensive? To me that sounds like it's way too excessive info ESPECIALLY for an insider. Like why would an insider know these stuff? Surely then if they know that many details they must also know about the other characters in the pass, right?
Nah I ain't believing any of that

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
How do these people know that he was expensive? To me that sounds like it's way too excessive info ESPECIALLY for an insider. Like why would an insider know these stuff? Surely then if they know that many details they must also know about the other characters in the pass, right?
Maybe, still I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t worried. I guess it’s a “let’s wait and see” type of situation.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I understand that sentiment. Honestly, the whole deal about Sora being more expensive than Cloud would be completely unbelievable if Disney didn't own him. I still don't think that's quite right either given the number of weird KH products out there, and Sora being pretty far from the same status as Cloud.

Top Bottom