• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sean Wheeler Sean Wheeler This is a support thread, not a bashing thread.

I'll also note we are paying attention to what you said. For now, just follow the current rules and let us discuss the issue. Just assume we won't allow anything like Goku and that Sora, since he was made for a video game franchise, is 100% fine and will not be considered a non-game character in any way for the purpose of this site.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to mention something: it is not impossible for this character to get a wall jump.

Joker and Piranha Plant's stats have changed multiple times according to people who I've talked to who have access to the information, but I'm not sure what specifically was changed or added.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd like to mention something: it is not impossible for this character to get a wall jump.

Joker and Piranha Plant's stats have changed multiple times according to people who I've talked to who have access to the information, but I'm not sure what specifically was changed or added.
This is hugely why I don't believe the stats are meaningful. They could be a tiny bit or just for a move alone. I.E. the height could be Slime Stack(and I don't even believe Slime is getting in over Erdrick either, but it still shows that we lack information).

Dumbleydore94

Smash Rookie
I'll be honest, I do not support this. Cause then where would it ever end? You may as well add kratos, sly, Doom guy, zero, bill from contra, the Ninja turtles, Batman and anything else that's been a video game.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest, I do not support this. Cause then where would it ever end? You may as well add kratos, sly, Doom guy, zero, bill from contra, the Ninja turtles, Batman and anything else that's been a video game.
mate it's a support thread what're you doing here lol

Also, Doomguy and Zero are totally fair choices, and Bill is like Simon and Megaman.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The whole idea of "non-game characters getting in" is spam here. Move on. Spam warnings will be handed out if this continues. Being as a Moderator, I did kind of continue it earlier, I don't feel right giving out any warnings before this post. That's partially my fault.

However, now it's over and I should've immediately stopped it wholesale even faster. Apologies for that.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Sean Wheeler Sean Wheeler This is a support thread, not a bashing thread.

I'll also note we are paying attention to what you said. For now, just follow the current rules and let us discuss the issue. Just assume we won't allow anything like Goku and that Sora, since he was made for a video game franchise, is 100% fine and will not be considered a non-game character in any way for the purpose of this site.
Of course I don't want to bash him. I've had enough of bashing my own favorite character. It's just his ownership by Disney is making me question... Never mind. I guess I should ignore my issues.

I sure hope if Sora gets in, Haley Joel Osment can dub him instead of leaving him with his Japanese voice like what happened with Cloud. After all, Steve Burton did start voicing Cloud in Kingdom Hearts.

And maybe Destiny Islands can make a good stage. There can be songs for it like Night of Fate, Squirming Evil, The Encounter, Tension Rising, Vim and Vigor, Shrouding Dark Cloud, Destiny's Force, etc.

And if there are DLC spirits, I think all the Organization XIII members (both the old and new) plus Riku, Kairi, Terra, Ventus, Aqua should be spirits. Axel can be upgraded to Lea.

And I think Sora should be in his Kingdom Hearts II attire.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is it really frowned upon to voice your opinion on a character thread? I’m all in on Sora but we shouldn’t make this a complete echo chamber. The more challenging opinions we receive the better the viewpoint becomes. I’ve personally improved knowledge of Sora’s chances via combating all points against him.
I for one am all for peaceful debate and stuff. Although you didn’t even attempt to refute the counteraguments made against your claims.

As cool as it would be for Sora to get in, his ownership by Disney and our rules against non-video game properties really makes it awkward. From what I can see about our definition of "video game characters," apparently they have to be owned by a video game developer, and Disney is more of a film studio. Their gaming division Disney Interactive has been closed down in 2016. I don't want to bash anyone for wanting Sora in, but we had once temporarily allowed a Goku thread and everyone started bashing it to the point where it had to be closed down. I had once made a Starkiller thread, and it got bashed and closed down, making it clear that Star Wars video game characters cannot get their own threads even if they originated in a video game and never made a movie appearance. It would be easier for me to support Sora if the rule about non-gaming brands was taken out. The references to other media such as the Pokémon anime, Captain N, and Final Fantasy Advent Children are there because copyright holders of the source material own the derivative works. The Pokémon anime and Captain N is owned by Nintendo while Final Fantasy Advent Children is owned by Square Enix. So Sora's ties to Disney makes him more like Goku in his "video game character" status. If Sakurai really only want video game characters in Smash, he probably wouldn't go near Disney. Nintendo and Disney has worked together for Disney games on Nintendo consoles, but that argument could be used for a lot of forbidden characters.

Anyway, I just got my PS4 and I'm playing a lot of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix. I pre-ordered Kingdom Hearts III. Even if I am against the idea of Sora for Smash and even want Goku to come in first, I'll always be a Kingdom Hearts fan. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have got my PS4. Kingdom Hearts is my childhood, just like Pokémon and Crash Bandicoot. Kingdom Hearts has been an inspiration for my own novels. I don't like having to be so against one of my favorite characters getting into Smash. It's gotten to the point where I'm bashing people in YouTube comments for wanting Sora in. If we want to support a character's chances and it's already looking like everyone and everything can be in Smash at this point with a few characters Sakurai said wouldn't be playable like Ridley becoming playable and a lot of Assist Trophies and deconfirmed characters still having threads, I think we should abolish the non-video game character rule. Because it really makes supporting a Disney character very awkward for me. We might only have four DLC characters left, but there's a possibility that one of those characters can come out of the left field and turn out to be Harry Potter. And it can be fun to speculate newcomers for Smash 6. Our rule is just causing a lot of people to dismiss a lot of characters as silly. And the rule was a response to Smash 4's fighter ballot that told us to only vote for video game characters. Since Sakurai has told us to stop requesting characters, all we're doing now is predicting. And with the roster we have so far, we should expect the unexpected.

Anyway, since Sora's inclusion would require Disney's involvement, wouldn't it be cool to have Trinity Limit as his Final Smash with Donald Duck and Goofy there performing the limit from Kingdom Hearts II?
Kingdom Hearts is definitely and unambiguously a videogame property, unlike the ones you mentioned.

Errr, Kratos, Sly Cooper, Doomguy, Zero, and Bill from Contra are all videogame characters. Doomguy, Zero and Bill have been in Nintendo systems and Zero is already in Smash. I’m not sure what you have against them.

As for Ninja Turtles and Batman, they’re comic book characters, so I don’t know why they would be in? Sakurai has even gone out to say that comic book characters don’t qualify.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I for one am all for peaceful debate and stuff. Although you didn’t even attempt to refute the counteraguments made against your claims.

Kingdom Hearts is definitely and unambiguously a videogame property, unlike the ones you mentioned.

Errr, Kratos, Sly Cooper, Doomguy, Zero, and Bill from Contra are all videogame characters. Doomguy, Zero and Bill have been in Nintendo systems and Zero is already in Smash. I’m not sure what you have against them.

As for Ninja Turtles and Batman, they’re comic book characters, so I don’t know why they would be in? Sakurai has even gone out to say that comic book characters don’t qualify.
Kingdom Hearts is a video game series, but Disney's ownership makes it hardly a video game property. But if the mods want this thread to keep going, we gotta stop thinking about our rules against non-gaming properties and focus on how awesome it would be to see this Disney character in Smash. I bet the fanbase would explode if we get an announcement trailer. While I still find it unlikely to happen with the ties to a movie company and how stingy Square was with Cloud and how their support would have broke the NDA contract, if Sora gets in, I would be maining him as much as how I mained Sonic in Brawl.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Kingdom Hearts is a video game series, but Disney's ownership makes it hardly a video game property. But if the mods want this thread to keep going, we gotta stop thinking about our rules against non-gaming properties and focus on how awesome it would be to see this Disney character in Smash. I bet the fanbase would explode if we get an announcement trailer. While I still find it unlikely to happen with the ties to a movie company and how stingy Square was with Cloud and how their support would have broke the NDA contract, if Sora gets in, I would be maining him as much as how I mained Sonic in Brawl.
But, it’s literally a videogame property. As in, it’s an IP created as video games and with the sole purpose of being videogames.

If Disney were to buy Nintendo tomorrow that doesn’t mean Mario isn’t still a videogame property. Likewise, if Nintendo were to buy Disney tomorrow that doesn’t make Frozen a videogame property. What company owns the property doesn’t change things.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
But Kingdom Hearts is full of movie characters...

Sigh... Let's not pay attention to the whole Disney deal. It's just making it really hard to support him.

I wonder if a Sora vs. Cloud match would be cool to see in Smash? They were good friends in Kingdom Hearts.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But Kingdom Hearts is full of movie characters...
It’s also full of videogame characters. And is a videogame. I think that tips the scale towards the videogame aspect.

Do you think Wreck-It Ralph is a videogame property because it’s full of videogame characters?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Guys....he has said he is willing to move on, so please move on to what this thread is supposed to be about.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Thanks, I was starting to think I wasn't ready to come back.

Anyway... Um... What should his Classic Mode path be?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i would like to ask everyone to put everything about kh3 in spoiler boxes long after its launch (some of us have terrible luck with spoilers)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
All I want for KH3 is for the game to not be easy to break like BBS and DDD were. KH2FM honestly is the peak of the series in terms of feel.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Pretty sure Cloud would be his boss battle, just like in KH.
Considering he’s a warrior of light that fights darkness, Dharkron could work. Or maybe have a classic mode where he’s tricked by Gale to fight the heroes and villains alike

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Cloud's a playable fighter, not a boss.
Pretty much what was said before, but the final boss battle is sometimes against player characters with buffs. Giant DK is Jigglypuff's boss fight, for instance. Same with Mario and Metal Mario for Bowser.

Cloud could work, but I think he'd be changed to one of the various buffed forms first. I don't remember any Classic Mode Final Boss being a completely regular character with zero changes overall.(Mario doesn't entirely count, as it's a 2-part battle with his boss form) I mean, if Master Hand was regularly playable, he'd count, but he doesn't.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Hey, do you guys remember that tweet Spawn Wave made a long time ago where he almost kinda hinted at Sora being the Square character? Maybe someone should ask him about that...

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
So, with KH3 right around the corner I'd figured I'd come here and ask 1 simple question.... If Sora gets in which style would you want to see?

KH1

w/ alternate costume

KH2

KH3

Maybe even make the KH2 Sora an alt for this one.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Hey, do you guys remember that tweet Spawn Wave made a long time ago where he almost kinda hinted at Sora being the Square character? Maybe someone should ask him about that...
Spawn doesn’t know anything really, also he was just sarcastically asking if people would like that. He was just teasing

So, with KH3 right around the corner I'd figured I'd come here and ask 1 simple question.... If Sora gets in which style would you want to see?

KH1

w/ alternate costume

KH2

KH3

KH2 for the win... or perhaps KH3 with second form and first form defaults

Starblax

Smash Apprentice

KH1

w/ alternate costume

KH2

KH3

KH2 with maybe KH1 as an alt

I think that'd be just about perfect

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

KH1

w/ alternate costume

KH2

KH3

Kingdom Hears 2 Sora is still my personal favorite look, of him even though I do like the look of 3 as well, I can honestly see us getting 2 as the default and 3 can be an alt, since it is the most recent look for him. 2 is probably his most iconic design really, and Sakurai usually goes for the look that's the most recognizable for a character.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
KH1

w/ alternate costume

KH2

KH3

Probably just nostalgia but I'd love the kh1 design the most. It's also the model that appears in all Nintendo KH games.
Logically though the kh3 design with a kh2 alt makes the most sense due to the relevancy.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

KH1

w/ alternate costume

KH2

KH3

Gotta go with KH2.

Dumbleydore94

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post; off-topic spam

My point was that if any character that has ever been in a video game is able to be in smash then why not just cut it and add literally every character ever? Just because they're in a video game doesn't mean they should just be in smash. Yeah I know I named a bunch of video game characters because it'd be dumb to add them. You seem to have intentionally missed my point

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post; off-topic spam
My point was that if any character that has ever been in a video game is able to be in smash then why not just cut it and add literally every character ever? Just because they're in a video game doesn't mean they should just be in smash. Yeah I know I named a bunch of video game characters because it'd be dumb to add them. You seem to have intentionally missed my point
The difference here though is that KH is PRIMARILY a video game IP FIRST and foremost. Sora isn't a character that only cameos in a video game occasionally and originates from a medium outside of gaming. He is a video game character first and foremost not a Disney movie character first and foremost. It's not that we think ANY character ever who has been in a video game at some point should have a spot in the game that's unrealistic. We are discussing a character who is known for their video game background primarily not his cameo background to be added in. Sora may be a Disney character but he is still primarily a video game name to pretend like that isn't true simply because of who owns him is idiotic. That's like saying Sonic isn't "really" a video game character first and foremost because he appeared in TV shows and comic books. That's literally not how any of that works... like at all.

Top Bottom