• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I'm hoping for Sora to get in. But I'm just hyped for both SMASH and KH3.

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping for Sora to get in. But I'm just hyped for both SMASH and KH3.
Both games come out within about a month from each other which is insane. I can't wait. Just imagine the hype a Sora reveal around that time will generate?!?!

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think Sora's going to be the second Square rep and not Geno. I feel like it would be more plausible character and would be great for promoting KH3.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think Sora's going to be the second Square rep and not Geno. I feel like it would be more plausible character and would be great for promoting KH3.
well logically speaking Sora is the best choice for both Nintendo and Square. I also cant see a single negative for Disney either - Sora is the best character for these companies from a business stand point thats for sure.

HOWEVER, the people who want Geno in smash are VERY vocal about it, I pretty sure this year has been the most vocal Sora for smash group and we are still pretty quiet. With how Ultimate is looking all the fan requests are getting in and Geno is a much more vocal fan request than Sora. On the bright side however if we don't get Sora in base roster then I would be almost guaranteed that he'll show up as DLC.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Uh-oh. I just saw this in the General Speculation thread...

Suddenly, new franchises look a lot less likely.
Honestly, I would expect Sora to be DLC anyway if speculations about the SE character not on the base roster end up being true.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman

If this corocoro scan is anything to go by, it should line up with what Vergeben claims

Ken and Incineroar: all newcomers from existing franchises

Square Enix rep: could possibly be just a new Final Fantasy rep. Could be Noctis or Black Mage. After all the series logo is just two Fs and not the FF7 logo.

Sora can only get in through DLC.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

I mean, I was always saying that Sora was going to be DLC, and I stand by statement through and through, but this is clearly not the final number of stages.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
a very potential legit leak has surfaced today. We may have Geno, Isaac, Shadow, Ken, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, and Banjo Kazooie left to show in the base roster. If this is true, then it's what I expected: Sora can't be in base but has DLC potential

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Seems like Sora has been kind of confirmed? I dunno this leak is throwing everyone in a loop.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
When was Sora confirmed?
"Kind of" a lot of leakers were surprised by a 'characters' exclusion in this leak - for this to be the case its probably someone that may of had different rules for putting the character in. I dunno Im just repeating stuff that was said in the main discussion.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
"Kind of" a lot of leakers were surprised by a 'characters' exclusion in this leak - for this to be the case its probably someone that may of had different rules for putting the character in. I dunno Im just repeating stuff that was said in the main discussion.
What was the post you're referring to from the main discussion?

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
What was the post you're referring to from the main discussion?
I didn't give specifics because this conversation has been going for like 100 pages. It was between papagenos video and when all the Gifs were posted.
Papagenos also thinks Sora is likely so i dunno.

EDIT: it was this:
The KHinsider translator said that theres one Character Missing but it will make sense as of why
Then Spawn-Wave said Characters who is seemingly missing

Last edited:

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Yeah, I’m on team fake for the banner. It all just seems too convenient to me. Granted, I’ve personally been wrong before. I wholeheartedly believed in the Geatsu leak, but it ended up not being true. Either way, I’m hoping that Sora will be in the game. If the leak is fake, there’s still a chance for him. If it is real, then he may very well be DLC.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Valid reasons for it being real
- Characters moved into reasonable positions with no unrealistic move.
- What appears to be new models all in 'action' poses like how official art would be
- the picture we have is a snapchat video -> that was screen shotted -> then posted online -> and zoomed the hell in to view the characters
-- this pretty much means that any visual errors viewed can be chalked up to quality diminishing over multiple sources.

reasons for fake
- background does appear to look different
- some characters look pretty damn messed up
- things Sakurai has said which go against 7 new characters <- { this isn't a good point
- Roys leg gives me problems (just looks to far out)

Last edited:

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
I didn't give specifics because this conversation has been going for like 100 pages. It was between papagenos video and when all the Gifs were posted.
Papagenos also thinks Sora is likely so i dunno.

EDIT: it was this:
The KHinsider translator said that theres one Character Missing but it will make sense as of why
Then Spawn-Wave said Characters who is seemingly missing
It looks like you're referring to Nekoo Nekoo in this case, I wouldn't even call that "kind of confirmed"

Papagenos is just a guess from him because he thinks that would be a really big reveal.

As for spawn wave, I'm assuming this is what people are talking about.

I don't see anything from KHinsider even talking about smash in the first place. I think people are taking that tweet the wrong way. it seems like Sora isn't the character they're referring to.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sup'
I'm not into Support thread but I was summoned in Attack mode.

So here is what I'm talking about.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Translator and Writer for KHinsider and Persona Central-

Last edited:

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the source!

So far it seems both the Persona/KHinsider writer/translator and spawn wave only have one thing in common, they both say that there is a character not included in the leak.

One of them says it "makes sense" to see why they're excluded while the other says it's a big reveal for VGA. If it is a big bombshell revealed at the end Sora can fit that bill, but there are other big name characters too.

I guess we'll have to see what happens and leave it at that.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Thanks for the source!

So far it seems both the Persona/KHinsider writer/translator and spawn wave only have one thing in common, they both say that there is a character not included in the leak.

One of them says it "makes sense" to see why they're excluded while the other says it's a big reveal for VGA. If it is a big bombshell revealed at the end Sora can fit that bill, but there are other big name characters too.

I guess we'll have to see what happens and leave it at that.
A bombshell character? That Sakurai wants to keep under wraps? A character that'd probably blow all of our minds?
...Goku?!
lol, Could you imagine though? No, if I had to guess, it'd have to be a character like Cloud. A character that's popular and requested, but people would think he's impossible due to the circumstance surrounding his presence in the gaming industry as well as the restrictions set in place by Sakurai when it comes to character inclusions...
Like Goku!
So yeah, other names would include Sora, Rayman, Sans, Crash, and/or Spyro as possible candidates.
And since this reveal event is taking place in America, it could be a popular reveal for us, so you could add Shantae and Steve to that list.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A bombshell character? That Sakurai wants to keep under wraps? A character that'd probably blow all of our minds?
...Goku?!
lol, Could you imagine though? No, if I had to guess, it'd have to be a character like Cloud. A character that's popular and requested, but people would think he's impossible due to the circumstance surrounding his presence in the gaming industry as well as the restrictions set in place by Sakurai when it comes to character inclusions...
Like Goku!
So yeah, other names would include Sora, Rayman, Sans, Crash, and/or Spyro as possible candidates.
And since this reveal event is taking place in America, it could be a popular reveal for us, so you could add Shantae and Steve to that list.
i think ive reached the point where im no longer surprised by any character

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Welp, the leak is certainly having more and more ground to walk on. If it turns out to be true, it seems like Sora didn’t make the base game. However, it was honestly to be expected. Disney’s involvement made it likely he’d be DLC so as to ensure they get a cut. I’ve been hearing speculation that he might show up at the Game Awards. Here’s hoping.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I don't think it's likely Nintendo will have anything to do with the game awards but I still got hopes for Sora as DLC. A little sad he's not base but the roster will still be killer if the leak is true. Plus only a month and a couple of weeks after Smash releases KH3 is out so we'll have plenty to tide us over.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Got bored so I made a moveset. Tried to put the best of his KH1 and KH2 selves together as well as a few extra nuances.
jab: His classic 3 hit combo from KH1 with a horizontal swipe, overhead slash, and a spin slash (3, 3, 4%)
ftilt: stabs his keyblade in a forward motion, can be combo'd staight into jab (5%)
dtilt: "Stun impact" send people flying on either side of him, stuns at high percents (5%)
utilt: "Upper Slash" Does a backhand swing launching opponents into the air. (7%)

dash: "Sliding dash" does a sliding kick that sends people up for combos (8%)
nair: "Hurricane Blast" does a 360 circle with the keyblade (3, 3, 6%)
fair: "Aerial Finish" does a 3 hit combo with long reach (4, 4, 6%)
dair: "Finishing Leap" rams his keyblade toward the ground making large pillars of light pop up where he lands hitting people up. (6% initial hit, 8% pillars)
bair: "Horizontal Slash" does three horizontal strikes (3, 3, 3%)
uair: "Aerial Dive" Does a somersault attack upward that hits multiple times (2, 2, 2, 4%)
pumel: Wacks them with the hilt of the keyblade (2%)
fthrow: "Blitz" does a jumping overhead slash sending the opponent flying (9%)
bthrow: "Magnet Spiral" Spins the opponent around Sora before launching them. Can draw in nearby fighters and is his strongest throw. (12%)
dthrow: "Gravity Break" smashes the opponent down with the force of gravity keeping them close to you (10%)
uthrow: "Aero" Creates a gust of wind that send the person flying upwards, good for tarting combos (7%)
fsmash: "Zantetsuken" Spins his keyblade around before dealing a powerful slash forward. Weak knockback but does lots of shield damage (22% uncharged)
dsmash: "Explosion" Creates balls of light around Sora that explode with great knockback (18% uncharged)
usmash: "Ripple Drive" creates a light barrier that burst sending people upwards with good knockback (16% uncharged)
nspecial: "Strike Raid" throws his keyblade like a boomerang. Can be angled, hits through people, and can be held for a returning hit (8, 3% return)
fspecial: "Sonic Blade" If the first hit lands it proceeds to a series of dashing strikes (2% x 7 hits)
dspecial: "Offensive Magic" Does a rotation of "Blizzard" (burst of ice that may freeze), "Fire" (homing fireball), then "Thunder" (spread of lighting strikes) then repeats. The magic evolves into greater forms if left unused for awhile (1% x 6 hits, 10 hits, 14 hits) (7%, 10%, 15%) (5%, 8%, 11%)
uspecial: "Ars Arcanum" While the keylade is coated in light, Sora does a long combo while rising in the air (1% 13 hits)
Final Smash: Ragnorok
Sora shoots off a ton of homing projectiles that hurl themselves at the opponent in succession. The amount fired is dependent on when you press the b button when the prompt shows up. If you miss the timing you'll only get the lowest level. There are 3 levels:
Shoot: 10 projectiles
Impact: 13 projectiles
Giga Impact: 16 projectiles
4% per hit

Flowmotion: Sora can jump off of walls up to twice. Jumping off of a wall causes the next aerial you use to do more damage.
Glide: Sora can glide down for a short amount of time by holding jump midair

Last edited:

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Thought I'd stop by and give my support to my second-most wanted character for Smash! Here's hoping Sora gets in somehow, Grinch or no Grinch!

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Honestly, I'd be glad if Sora got in. Although yes, I did learn about him and the whole KH franchise through SSF2, that still doesn't mean that I can't enjoy it. Here's hoping that he somehow makes it in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am glad I put Sora in my DLC predictions very early before any of this VGA business came.

At least, it will not feel like a cheap prediction.

As the one that started the argument that Sora has a real chance around May 2018, I am glad and super relieved.

(By the way, when did Spawn Wave tease the Sora VGA stuff? I think I put Sora in my DLC prediction early around September 22, based on when I posted my first DLC prediction image on imgur for my Smashboards signature. Just want to make sure.)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We're probably getting both Geno and Sora playable in Smash Ultimate, though Sora is probably more likely as a DLC character to keep the hype for this game going post-release + all the legal troubles with working with Disney to get the "full" Kingdom Hearts in experience (basically just get Goofy, Donald Duck and maybe Mickey Mouse as trophies + a part of Sora's moveset maybe).

Honestly I think Sora is the most likely 3rd party potential newcomer left irregardless.

He's the biggest 3rd party character in regards to hype generator, even moreso than Banjo I bet. The only one I can think of that comes close would be Goku or Master Chief... which are actually possible because this game is NUTS.

MachRider

Smash Rookie
The final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate character reveal will be none other than Sora from the Kingdom Hearts series.

Sora Is Owned By Disney,Forget It:

This seems to be the biggest problem obstructing Sora's inclusion to a lot of people. But when researched, this problem is almost nonexistent.

The year is 2012. Following Disney's acquiring of Marvel Studios in 2009, Disney decided not to renew the licence of all of Marvel Studio's included characters. Instead, Disney wanted these characters in their own Disney Infinity franchise. As a result of this non renewal under new management, Capcom was forced to take both Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes off Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network in 2013. In 2016, Disney deemed this business model to be less successful, and switched to a licensing only model, allowing their Marvel characters to appear in the brand new Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite .

Take a look at The Walt Disney Company 2017 Annual Report -- Under "Games" on page 14, it states the following: "The Company licenses our properties to third-party game developers. We also develop and publish games, primarily for mobile platforms. "

Around the time this policy was changed, Sora was allowed to be in World Of Final Fantasy, a game with no Disney involvement what so ever.

Even if Disney is somehow still blocking Sora from entering the game, Nintendo and Disney have collaborated many times before in the recent past, with Nintendo developing Disney Magical World and even putting out a Disney themed Nintendo 3DS.

Evidence Supporting Sora's Inclusion:
  • Kingdom Hearts is an Iconic franchise, having Nintendo exclusive titles since the Gameboy Advance
  • This tweet, which was later deleted, making it even more-so suspicious
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 releasing a month and a half after Smash's release, making Sora's inclusion good promotion for the game, and series as a whole, as Nomura (The director of Kingdom Hearts) has stated he wants Kingdom Hearts 3 a good game for newcomers to the series
  • Cloud's inclusion in Smash 4 and Ultimate, Cloud was a character designed exclusively by the same man that designed Sora and has directed every Kingdom Hearts game, this man has connections with Smash already, he even did an interview with Sakurai himself based on Cloud's inclusion
  • Sora is assumed to place high on most unofficial smash ballots.
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 panel a few days after the direct, would not be unprecedented to be talked about there
What do you guys think? Whatever the final roster ends up being, it'll be awesome!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I expect Sora to be DLC. Currently hoping that VGA rumor of Sora being revealed for Smash there is true.
I think Sora has a better chance getting in as DLC instead of base roster

It would make more people want him

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Vergeben said that Ken, Incineroar, and a Square Enix character were coming, though he wasn’t sure if the Square Enix character was DLC or not. We saw Ken and Incineroar, but no Square Enix character. So one of the DLC characters may potentially be a Square Enix rep.

I personally hope it’s Sora, he’s my personal most-desired fighter and there have been some rumors about him. Either way, the prospect of DLC is exciting!

Top Bottom