• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's face.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
that's what he looks like. he's always got that smirk goin' on.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It looks like they're making it a bit more along the lines of Sonic Adventure's promotional art. As long as the facial animation isn't as terrible we'll be fine.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I never liked Sonic's smile... why is his mouth on his cheek?

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Dude, his smirk is just fine. It shows his cockiness and I love him for it. I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
That little toothless smirk on the side of his mouth in-game. In the words of Snake "Something about that hedgehog rubs me the wrong way"
Reminds me of the endless "original character DO NOT STEAL" sonic characters on the internet. That same damn smile they always have.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I promised myself I wouldn't cry...
I wish I'd get excited like that again. It was like that when he was confirmed for Brawl... but now it's like *me smiles* "that's nice!", but that's it...

Ontopic: From my first looks it does seem that it is a little overdone, but it's not too bad. Somehow Sonic fans always rant about his smile, lol.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well yeah, the misplaced smirk and the eye...situation... He's always been kinda horrifying in a way I guess. Maybe people are just so used to it, or maybe he just somehow pulls it off. I dunno.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
It's not so much his mouth as it is his... lips? Idk, just the way the outside of his mouth is shaped looks odd.

I'm far more bothered by his in-game mouth. You have actual mouths for every other character, and SEGA themselves are capable of doing it for Sonic, so why the hell is his mouth just a texture

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
It's all just a WIP, so don't worry about it until it actually releases.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
It can't be just me who noticed this, but...

(Can't find any quality Brawl pics, but my point is still on)

Sonic's mouth looks like a texture now, unlike Brawl. The only times his mouth opens from this is during a move, where it covers the texture. So maybe the reason Sonic's got the Picasso smile is to cover up this texture.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@APC99 Yeah I believe they did the same thing with Kirby as well now...

I don't know why but his mouth looks like a texture too now.... Or maybe that's just me... :/

Morbi

Scavenger

Sonic's mouth looks like a texture now, unlike Brawl. The only times his mouth opens from this is during a move, where it covers the texture. So maybe the reason Sonic's got the Picasso smile is to cover up this texture.
I don't understand. What is the difference? Are you saying that he is lame? 3DS limitations?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I don't understand. What is the difference? Are you saying that he is lame? 3DS limitations?

No, I'm saying it looks weird. I love Sonic, it's just kind of strange his mouth is a texture now, and I don't think it has to do with limitations on the 3DS. I just can't exactly figure out why they would make it like that, since Sonic's mouth in Brawl was animated well (and animated OFTEN, if you know what I mean) but it does become an actual moving part during some actions, but I think it's just his attacks change his facial expressions, turning it into a moving piece of Sonic's body.

Here are the exact same "taunts" Sonic has. In the Brawl version, a clear smile can be seen, but in SSB4, it doesn't form into a smile, it just kind of stays on Sonic's cheek.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Sonic's mouth might not move as much as before. And it's not because of the 3DS. the 3DS can hold all of Brawl's character data, plus some, so that's not really a problem. What doesn't make sense to me is that almost everyone else doesn't have a textured face besides the Villager, but that's expected, he doesn't have emotions. But we've seen Sonic smile in pictures, maybe they're not done implementing these animations yet?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
It's all just a WIP, so don't worry about it until it actually releases.
THIS IS NOT A WIP

IT IS THE FACE OF CHILI DOGS EVIL
hes seriously gonna come to my house and take me away

...out to get some chili dogs​
help​

Maybe it's just me, but I think Sonic's mouth might not move as much as before. And it's not because of the 3DS. the 3DS can hold all of Brawl's character data, plus some, so that's not really a problem. What doesn't make sense to me is that almost everyone else doesn't have a textured face besides the Villager, but that's expected, he doesn't have emotions. But we've seen Sonic smile in pictures, maybe they're not done implementing these animations yet?
That's probably the case. It would make a lot of sense.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
THIS IS NOT A WIP

IT IS THE FACE OF CHILI DOGS EVIL
hes seriously gonna come to my house and take me away

...out to get some chili dogs​
help​

That's probably the case. It would make a lot of sense.
Okay, well that is final. However, the ingame itself is a work in progress.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Perhaps they decided a 3D animated face was not necessary? After all, Smash characters are seemingly more classic and less modern this time around.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

To be honest I MUCH rather have a painted mouth (which looks both classic and awesome) than dem hedgehog lips.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I guess it's just a placeholder, as I said in the Sonic thread, he looks really early in development.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
The only thing that bothers me about the official artwork is his head. It kinda looks far behind the collarbone. That may be just me, though.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I guess it's just a placeholder, as I said in the Sonic thread, he looks really early in development.
Okay, well that is final. However, the ingame itself is a work in progress.

Don't put your hopes too high: Sakurai isn't a fan of showing things off before their final versions. I can count the number of times it has happened on just one hand.

If he showed unfinished parts of the game, then we would have seen the 3DS versions of Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Olimar on their character pages.

Top Bottom