• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Vs. Olimar... how does it turn out for others?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
In my experience, I o fairly well against olimars... how do you guys do? are you finding different results?

in olimar's favour:
-more power
-higher priority
-larger range
-smaller size
-better defensive game

In sonic's favour:
-speed
-recovery
-better pressure game

(the weight of the charcter's about equal so that doesn't go into consideration.)

okay so by default, assuming no counter are in place, olimar's got the upper hand; however olimar can't throw pikmin at sonic. eliminating his major source of passive damage. Simply every move in sonic's repetoir will destroy all pimin attached to him, or any that missed him. Also, if olimar mises with a smash, sonic is fast enough to destroy the pikmin that gets left behind as part of the attack.
In addition to sonic making olimar wary of using a good chunk of his attacks lest he lose pikmin, a good sonic can actually put enough pressure on olimar to stop him from picking new ones. sonic is so fast he can keep olimar from bening on the ground long enough to pull extra pikmin if he wants. Obviously this is useful if sonic get's a lucky mass destruction of pikmin. An olimar with 0-2 pikmin is a sad sight and, so long as sonic can keep up the pressure, olimar will probably die before he can pick up new pikmin.
Finally, sonic can really easily gimp or edgeguard olimar's recovery attempts... take your pick.

Olimar still has the benifit of being all around better than sonic which is the only thing stopping sonic from being favoured in this matchup.

I say they are on pretty even ground in the matchup

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I've played the opposite end of the matchup as you. Sounds like you know your end of it well. The only thing that Sonic could do is keep the pressure on from up close and use his speed, because a Sonic trying to camp Olimar is really a sad sight (sadder than Olimar with no pikmin, almost).

You can't keep Olimar from pulling more pikmin, in many situations. Olimar's tilts all have more priority than anything that Sonic has, and he could just utilt to get you away for long enough to pull more.

This matchup is probably even, or slightly in Olimar's favor (assuming both players know what they're doing).

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
I find the match more in oilmar's favor do to the fact he simply has more priority and simply has to a small guard of pikmen around him at all times. So long as he does not play stupid and widdle himself down then he should be able to slow down or cancel any of sonics attacks with a pikmen or two.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'v been saying it was even

a lot of people think that's crazy though and say it's not even close in olimar's favour... I disagree

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Olimar has the advantage, but no one touches Sonic's speed. Add that to your own unpredictability, and edgehog every chance you get. If I'm correvt, if you edgehog Olimar's up+b, it might hit you but it still won't latch on... like I said, I could be wrong, but gimping and edgehogging wins against Olimar.

And never forget that spring jump > Oilmar's dair spike.

Browny

Smash Hater
depends

my brother mains olimar sometimes. if he plays normally, i win. if he sits in the corner and does nothing but c-stick, he wins. it really is that simple. its like discounting Dedede's chain grab in matchups. dedede has an advantage over dk and bowser simply because he can CG them something horrible, but its a fair tactic, so it counts. olimars version is ultra camping. if olimar doesnt do that, he loses. so if both players are equally skilled, it makes no difference. only playstyle does

Tenki

Smash Hero
depends

my brother mains olimar sometimes. if he plays normally, i win. if he sits in the corner and does nothing but c-stick, he wins. it really is that simple. its like discounting Dedede's chain grab in matchups. dedede has an advantage over dk and bowser simply because he can CG them something horrible, but its a fair tactic, so it counts. olimars version is ultra camping. if olimar doesnt do that, he loses. so if both players are equally skilled, it makes no difference. only playstyle does
you don't kill the pikmin when he misses? ._.;

J18

Smash Journeyman
put a spring on the ground when you kill olimar, he spawns back on the spring with no pikmin, goes flying into the air, and you just get him off the edge and he can't recover =P

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
put a spring on the ground when you kill olimar, he spawns back on the spring with no pikmin, goes flying into the air, and you just get him off the edge and he can't recover =P
I'm pretty sure that won't seriously work against 98.7% of all olimar players. it's easy to not land on the spring

NNID
MasterHavik
I'm not really sure about this one.But I can say that Sonic ***** olimar pressure wise.but I think Sonic vs. o;imar is an one sided fight.It even between both characters if you ask me.

linkx3728

Smash Rookie
really sonic and olimar are equal since i have played as each charecter against the other in level 9, and have watched them do it computer to computer, olimar has a long range advantage but it's not alot against sonic since it's no problem for him to attack quick and get to him in a short amount of time, they both have a high special jump. only thing i can find that cna be disadvantages or advantages (basically just differences in results) is speed, range and final smash, olimars odes damage no matter what while sonic has to move around, almost uncontrolably and hit opponents, thought theres more control to it, olimars can completly dominate on a small stage, because the explosion seems to hit almost everywhere while sonics does alot of damage but not like olimars where it does damage no matter what

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
really sonic and olimar are equal since i have played as each charecter against the other in level 9, and have watched them do it computer to computer, olimar has a long range advantage but it's not alot against sonic since it's no problem for him to attack quick and get to him in a short amount of time, they both have a high special jump. only thing i can find that cna be disadvantages or advantages (basically just differences in results) is speed, range and final smash, olimars odes damage no matter what while sonic has to move around, almost uncontrolably and hit opponents, thought theres more control to it, olimars can completly dominate on a small stage, because the explosion seems to hit almost everywhere while sonics does alot of damage but not like olimars where it does damage no matter what
lvl 9s aren't capaple of being used as data... neither are smashballs

Tenki

Smash Hero
level 9 computers have nothing on the confusing mess that is a human Sonic player xD

I agree with most of the points the original poster made.

missed/thrown pikmin get killed when I play Sonic. My only problem against Olimar is his grab, since I tend to confuse the grabs/smashes xD

I don't know about most people, but I think Sonic's d-air can kill some of Olimar's up-smash pikmin.

Dsmash and low gimps seem to be Olimar's weakness, and if you're good at timing/doing spindash combos, they're usually airborne damage, and it seems like Olimar is worse in midair(?)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
level 9 computers have nothing on the confusing mess that is a human Sonic player xD

I agree with most of the points the original poster made.

missed/thrown pikmin get killed when I play Sonic. My only problem against Olimar is his grab, since I tend to confuse the grabs/smashes xD

I don't know about most people, but I think Sonic's d-air can kill some of Olimar's up-smash pikmin.

Dsmash and low gimps seem to be Olimar's weakness, and if you're good at timing/doing spindash combos, they're usually airborne damage, and it seems like Olimar is worse in midair(?)
yeah, that all seems right.

schof

Smash Rookie
The ultra campy olimar gets me too, his range is uncanny so it is hard to approach. I find that the homing attack is decent for approaching but only after i have sufficiently ran around like an idiot to confuse him. If anyone has ideas for how to approach an olimar with sonic let me know because this is my main problem. Once i get him moving i have no problem killing him, its just that first couple hits.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The ultra campy olimar gets me too, his range is uncanny so it is hard to approach. I find that the homing attack is decent for approaching but only after i have sufficiently ran around like an idiot to confuse him. If anyone has ideas for how to approach an olimar with sonic let me know because this is my main problem. Once i get him moving i have no problem killing him, its just that first couple hits.
Bait him into doing fsmash or pikmin throw (STAY OUT OF HIS GRAB RANGE), then kill the pikmin.

When he figures it out, he'll probably start trying to use tilts, n-air, or grabs on you.

..is that... close enough for an approach? lol

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
This is probably the funniest strategy that doesn't work that I've ever read. Even funnier than Sheik's chain.

Ever play against someone that knows how to airdodge, point the stick to the left or right, or simply wait until the spring disappears?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
This is probably the funniest strategy that doesn't work that I've ever read. Even funnier than Sheik's chain.

Ever play against someone that knows how to airdodge, point the stick to the left or right, or simply wait until the spring disappears?
yeah... while it would be hilarously funny if it worked... it's gotta ber the worst Idea ever. Doesn't change sonic's even ground with olimar, but doesn't make the sonic supporter side look very good either.

Tenki

Smash Hero

placing it is just like techreading >_>

Also, you can't dodge a grounded spring.

You can, however, dodge an aerial attack, but when I've done it, the Olimar is usually still spamming neutral B while he's flying into the air. There's no dodge in that lol.

----
on a funny note, in one olimar fight i had, i did the spring spawn setup, and he was sure he had pikmin. I got him to about 60-70%, and I even saw him try to smash me like 2-3 times in a row when I would have otherwise been vulnerable.

...while he had no pikmin from his initial spawn.

fail.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
you really need to show a vid of that against a good olimar for me to believe it works.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
but he proly wasnt good, which is the point, and also, that was like a one time thing that will never happen again

Tenki

Smash Hero
yeah ;P I didn't say I did it against a good Olimar.

If you're planning to do it against a good one, only go for it once, then it loses its surprise :x

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
As Sonic you can approach very well to an olimar with diagonal attacks (SHFFL Bairs, Spin Charge in the air) cause most of his attacks (the smashes, grabs and stuff) are straight up or left/right (except side B and up B, but that isn't mayor problem)... Sonic its a good counterpick against olimar IMO

Umby

Smash Master
I play a retardedly campy Olimar. Inverted bairs work. I suppose a Nair behind the shield would work too to lure out a shield grab, but I haven't tried it yet.

Top Bottom