• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic vs. Ness - h-help x_x

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Espy? Seagull Joe? Scourge? Kidcraft? Camalange? Anyone here happen to come across a really good Ness player throughout their forays in 3DS/Wii U tourneys?

I need some advice on the match-up. I took games from this dude, but he played legit and absolutely destroyed me. I probably just need to learn and adjust to their playstyle some more (their name was BO JACKSON apparently) since I could still take games. But yeah, it's scary.

Anyone got any pointers on how to approach this match-up? If not, that's cool. WE're only a few days into the game's lfiespan anyways for Wii U at least.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Espy? Seagull Joe? Scourge? Kidcraft? Camalange? Anyone here happen to come across a really good Ness player throughout their forays in 3DS/Wii U tourneys?

I need some advice on the match-up. I took games from this dude, but he played legit and absolutely destroyed me. I probably just need to learn and adjust to their playstyle some more (their name was BO JACKSON apparently) since I could still take games. But yeah, it's scary.

Anyone got any pointers on how to approach this match-up? If not, that's cool. WE're only a few days into the game's lfiespan anyways for Wii U at least.
He can't reliably camp you. Dthrow'ing him offstage makes him vulnerable. While it's risky to challenge him when he's recovering, you can spring his up b and then hit him after to delay his landing.

:018:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Sonic vs. Ness = stay grounded. Ness will mess you up if you take the battle airborne. On the ground its a bait-and-switch battle for who first gets the BThrow. Sonic is fast enough to capitalize off of most of his ground moves, notably PK Fire.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I haven't played any particularly amazing Ness', but there was one that gave me a good run for my money. I'll try to note the biggest things I noticed.

His fair is so good now. It combos into itself forever if you're not prepared for it. Fsmash knockback seems to be buffed, and his recovery is all around safer. You have to respect it more, but it's still gimpable. I think I agree for the most part with Joe and NotLiquid, but Sonic's air game is still pretty solid. You just have to know when to respect Ness' options, notably nair and fair. Sonic's bair is still great to outspace him, and our uair is godlike so don't feel that Sonic completely gets shut down in the air. Uair is great because of range and power, and all Ness really has to combat it is a dair with pretty slow startup.

With that said, I still do agree though that ground game is still a safer bet. Going for grabs is great, and as Joe said he doesn't have much of a way to reliably camp other than like retreating fairs (PK Fire is better now, but Sonic can still handle it).

In short, respect his air game but know when to go in and punish. Keep him grounded and capitalize. Wish I had more specific matchup knowledge to provide outside this, but if I run into any more notable Ness players I'll share what I learn.

:093:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Honestly you just need to stay inside and grounded. Don't give him his breathing room.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Thank you guys so much. Yeah, Joe. The matches I secured were thanks to some good down throws that left Ness vulnerable. At least this Ness didn't tech it. But even near the ledge, it worked in my favor. Even springing him is something I did. (some of the matches I won were based off reads or spiking him with DAir. If I can just perfect the DAir and condition Ness for that, it'd be a lot nicer.

Thank you guys. I like going to the air as Sonic a lot. And it seems Ness is floaty/small enough that out of an upthrow I can't UAir him even at low percent, so waiting is a good idea.

I'll stay grounded. Thanks again everyone!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I still have a personal love for Battlefield but stages like City and Town definitely compliment Sonic more. Really great stage.

Also Kongo Jungle was legal at KTAR and I could see that being a solid Sonic stage.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Smashville wasn't legal at our first tourney because we didn't wanna have inconsistencies with the stages being unlocked. But next time... Oh boy. <3

kataridragon

Smash Ace
The ness matchup. I think everyone summed this up pretty well. Ground is by far the better option. Ness nair will stuff just about everything, his fair will combo you good if your not careful. I think the strongest advantage sonic has is his quick ground game that can catch ness as well as a the reach on his forward tilt. Ness has a problem in range that is just outside his ground normals. You can pressure after a ground pk fire and rush under an air pk fire. Dont get grabbed at high percent!!!!!

I play a good Ness player frequently. Im pretty knowledgeable about the matchup.
Im salty I wasnt called by name in the OP :p

As far as stages go Battlefield is the only stage I strike. Everything else if good. I actually had some great success with City & Village. Its like the platform height is just right so it doesn't interfere with spin dashes and jump cancels.

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Stage control is the key to the matchup. Any time you're at about 100, you should be well aware of where you are on the stage. Ness' only reliable kill on Sonic is bthrow. Though, you should be afraid of his dumb uair as well. You'll probably spend most of this match trying to make Ness uncomfortable close up on the ground with grabs, ftilts, or nairs/uairs if there's an opening. If you're both in the air, your safest place to be is under him with uairs.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Halberd was always good.

Top Bottom