• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Trouble

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
So me and my buddy have been having brawls online, I play Kirby and Toon Link and he plays Diddy and Sonic, with both of my chars I can beat his Diddy but with Sonic he is giving me trouble, especially when I am Kirby. He seems just to easily bounce me around the board, giving me little time to react, and when I do he usually turns it into him throwing me away so he can continue spinning around me. As Link I can stop him with projectiles but I feel with Kirby that Im just sitting there trying to stop his spins with my kicks, and ending up getting punched back before I can react.

I have a feeling the online lag def. isnt helping, but wondering if I am doing something wrong with Kirby that allows him to kill me twice before I kill him. Mainly asking fellow Kirby players (hence where asking) but will take any tips for Link too, he gives him trouble just not nearly as much.

Sonic_keyblade

Smash Apprentice
have you tried spamming Up-B when he does that? My friend does the same thing and I just use Up or down-B.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
I never tried spamming up-b, but I did use it a few times to try and stop him, if I did it before he launched at me I usually would stop him, otherwise he would jump up, dodge it and try to hit me (usually missed). I guess I could try spamming it when I play today.
As for down-b, whenever I try it he usually dodges it, comes back around with a spin attack or grabs me.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
I thought it was kinda easy to get sonic trapped in the neutral b.

float around & wait for him to use the homing spin, then d-B. maybe?

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Neutral B (swallow) will stop a Sonic in his tracks. If you see he's going to forward air you, then I'd power block and shield grab with the down grab. Follow up with up A on the ground. Kirby's dash attack is pretty useful too since it's damage is really nice if you get the whole thing and the last hit (if they don't block it) will practically always send them upward so they can't counter. It's also better if you wait for them to attack you first and then probably attack back with back aerial. With aerial dodging (especially with Kirby) you can always attack back if they miss a smash. Don't forget about edge guarding and Final cutter =s.

Collif

Smash Rookie
As has been said, neutral B will work wonders, I know it does for Jiggly's rollout too. Aside from attacks that originate in the air, I have a feeling the down-tilt will have the range and priority to keep Sonic at bay, though I'll have to test that later to be sure.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
I think dtilt too. And if he trips from it, dair, utilt, and go to town from there.

And counterpick less spacious stages. Sonic sucks then.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Don't let him get the Smash Ball.

If you're playing online, you should be spamming Final Cutter and Smash attacks. V_V

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Yeah my demise seems to be in not using neural b and up-b. Im usually going on the offensive when I play him with smash attacks and tilts but he can usually escape.
As for stages, we play on Final Destination 99% of the time and always with items off. Ill play him today and try out this advice you guys gave me, thanks.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If you are worried about sonic... man i wish i could play you. my friend is worse than me in the game but he lit up my sonic 2 times in row and i couldnt do much to approach and heres what you gotta do .
i cant believe that i telling you ppll how to beat my main buuutttttt...

everything should work out for you if you:
1. spam high priority moves
2. (this should be number one) stay in the air. his spins cant hit you in the air and thats is ware kirby's high priority moves are back to num. 1
3. just spam all his b- moves... they are GREAT now. Rock has almost no transformation lag, hammer is incredibly powerful and hits TWICE i see it coming and still alway forget about the second hit. final cutter is beast. and swallow wrecks and if you make sonic do it you can ladder suicide and they will usually do it with you just to kill you. do all that and you should not have problems with sonic

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Problem with number 2. Sonic can jump while in his spindash. but still, you're right, just use Inhale or something.

When I fight Sonics, I have problems with them using their dash attack and Homing attack over and over again. I can't really keep up with all the dodging and shielding <_<

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Problem with number 2. Sonic can jump while in his spindash. but still, you're right, just use Inhale or something.

When I fight Sonics, I have problems with them using their dash attack and Homing attack over and over again. I can't really keep up with all the dodging and shielding <_<
Yep, same problem. He wasnt around today for me to fight, but will keep posted on progress.

My friend basically never stops spinning unless he is trying to smash me out, so hopefully the advice given will help me deal with that, heh.

Top Bottom