• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Tournament Worthy?

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Sonic is my main and I love to play as him, but we all know what he is capable of... or not capable of. Regardless of his disadvantage to most of the Brawl cast I still plan on maining him just because I love him so much. However, tournaments are another story. I plan on doing some tourneys this summer and although I have practice more with Sonic than any other character, I know I would mop the floor with my Sonic as Metaknight or Falco. So what do you guys think? Should I risk it with Sonic or play it safe with my other two mains?

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
If you think it'ss a safe risk then use Sonic otherwise I would use your other mains.

Browny

Smash Hater
depends if counter picking is allowed or not. personally i would use sonic against the likes of Dedede, dk, snake, ike, link, zamus (only fast character exception) and falco/MK for the rest. more so falco, hes far stronger than ive ever given him credit for.

also this is the exact reason, compounded, as to why tiers are formed, not programmed. The fear of using a supposedly low tier character will drive many people away from using sonic in tourneys since winning is everything (apparently) and hence he never gets a chance. I was the same in a game club tourney yesterday. i played against a very good ZSS player. I could have taken the easy option and chose TL, Wolf, or maybe marth for the lols, but i had faith in myself and took it to him with sonic. Was a very close match with the end decided by an SD on my part, i had a 27% buffer late on the 3rd stock so it could have gone either way.

point is, without any prize money changing my decision, I had nothing to lose and gave one of my best performances with sonic vs a supposedly high tier ZSS. Im not a sonic pro by any means but i definitely showed a lot of people at my club what he is capable of, they were very impressed to say the least. If you can get the fear of losing mindframe out of your system (i acknowledge this is extremely difficult, theres no prize for close matches) then maybe you will be able to pull out something special. which is what i think many sonic users are too afraid to try.

lol sorry for my little off topic rant, i felt it had to be said :p

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
depends if counter picking is allowed or not. personally i would use sonic against the likes of Dedede, dk, snake, ike, link, zamus (only fast character exception) and falco/MK for the rest. more so falco, hes far stronger than ive ever given him credit for.

also this is the exact reason, compounded, as to why tiers are formed, not programmed. The fear of using a supposedly low tier character will drive many people away from using sonic in tourneys since winning is everything (apparently) and hence he never gets a chance. I was the same in a game club tourney yesterday. i played against a very good ZSS player. I could have taken the easy option and chose TL, Wolf, or maybe marth for the lols, but i had faith in myself and took it to him with sonic. Was a very close match with the end decided by an SD on my part, i had a 27% buffer late on the 3rd stock so it could have gone either way.

point is, without any prize money changing my decision, I had nothing to lose and gave one of my best performances with sonic vs a supposedly high tier ZSS. Im not a sonic pro by any means but i definitely showed a lot of people at my club what he is capable of, they were very impressed to say the least. If you can get the fear of losing mindframe out of your system (i acknowledge this is extremely difficult, theres no prize for close matches) then maybe you will be able to pull out something special. which is what i think many sonic users are too afraid to try.

lol sorry for my little off topic rant, i felt it had to be said :p
No its alright. I get where you are coming from. Thing is though... I love playing as Falco and Metaknight too :bee: . I have my friends convinced that Sonic is top tier even though I tell them he most definitely isn't... they hate my Sonic. :laugh:

Boxob

Smash Champion
It all depends. Is YOUR Sonic tourney worthy?

Sonic takes skill, if said skill isn't there, use someone else.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
no, i dont know u. But the point is we could meet irl n shizz and practice against each other. Its just all my friends who have brawl arent good at all. I need to play better ppl, i need the challenge, its learning experience to improve. I mean ppl like lucky, psychomidget, bizarroflame, put videos up of them playing ppl they live around and psychomidge has it gold since he lives in cali around gimpy and doppleganger.

o and @Boxob, dont be so frank, he asked a general question expecting positive feedback. Cut him some slack.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
no, i dont know u. But the point is we could meet irl n shizz and practice against each other. Its just all my friends who have brawl arent good at all. I need to play better ppl, i need the challenge, its learning experience to improve. I mean ppl like lucky, psychomidget, bizarroflame, put videos up of them playing ppl they live around and psychomidge has it gold since he lives in cali around gimpy and doppleganger.

o and @Boxob, dont be so frank, he asked a general question expecting positive feedback. Cut him some slack.
I sure when I am back in town I could do some matches. Actually what would be even better is if you and I can keep in contact about tourneys in the Metro Atlanta area because I have been wanting to do some this summer.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
I am VERY confident in my Sonic, and have played the bejesus with him out of the gate. If you are skilled and clever enough with Sonic , than yes, he is tournament worthy. There have been many times I have beaten good Ike, Metaknight, Wolf and other popular tourney players with my Sonic by harnessing his strengths and playing on my opponents weaknesses.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
no probs boxobs. Its the internet though. text doesnt express emotion. GAHXXXZZZZZZ!!

lol HARNESSING his strengths? lol u absorbing his speed bro? hahaha sorry it just sounded a little over-the-top :D.

Well hell Fitz, in my calendar there is a tourny up THIS saturday. Waba game tourny the 19th of April. $5 entry and then $10 pot fee. the pot is % based. Ive done the same setup for a cod4 online buy-in . In the end 1st doesnt really get alot of money but its something at least, plus the experience is number one anyhowz. Here http://wabagame.samsbiz.com/page/16z6j/WABA_HOME.html 6pm-12am. It'll be tricky to get off of work for this but i think i can make it. Gimme some way i can contact u. pm me email, cell, aim, or we can use teamspeak or ventrilo to communicate.

The location is in Duluth.

Sorry to everyone else in the thread, obviously this is off subject :/

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
You really need to know how to handle every character to make Sonic tournament worthy. By that I mean, using a one-size-fits-all approach with Sonic as though he were Pit or ROB is going to get you killed. A lot.

Although, if you want to use him merely as a counter pick vs certain characters you can develop a single approach/style and find out what characters it works well against and play only those characters. I mean, the strategy for handling Bowser, DDD and a lot of the other heavy weights doesn't differ that much so maybe you could use Sonic there.

The biggest pit fall you can come across though is fighting a character you don't know how to gimp. Honestly, I think that if I didn't know how to gimp the space animals I'd never be able to beat them in competitive play. But my ability to KO them at low percents can make up for their superior attacks and aerial mobility.

LuCKy

Smash Master
I mean ppl like lucky, psychomidget, bizarroflame, put videos up of them playing ppl they live around and psychomidge has it gold since he lives in cali around gimpy and doppleganger.
i'm pretty sure i live in cali too lol

and not too many people know how to fight a good sonic.........although your friends will obviously learn how you play and how to deal with sonic.so even if your sonic doesnt do too good in friendlys with your friends.it dosnt mean it will be the same in tourney,since nobody will know how you play or even how sonic plays since he seems to be rarely seen in tourney.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
O **** **** sorry then, LUCKY TOOOO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-i forget.

Yeh i understand that im not gonna autowin. My whole purpose in goin in with sonic in the tournies is to learn. I dont expect to win, im really there for the experience overall.

Im no stranger to the tournament scene, im **** good at cod4 (PC) enough to play in cevo-a.

btw, when'd u pick up snake syrup? I kinda stopped his tech at mid-air aerial attack nade catch, to throw timer. Hes a close 2nd, hella fun to play.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I was gone for what, 4 days? Do you all assume I've died if I stop posting for a single day? lol

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
GAWD><!!! I had to deal with this crap when I mained bowser in melee for tournaments. He was crappy but I liked bowser too much and did my best to make him look good, but that didn't change the fact that he was still a crappy character and using him made things really hard. Now bowser is incredible, and I'm happy for that. But why did this role have to be placed on my favorite video game character of all time? Err......

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
To be extremely honest, Sonic will never win a big tournament. By the way, this is under the current play of him, next week we might find out hes totally broken, and god tier, but who knows. Things are looking grim for our favorite 3rd party character at the moment.

Hes not something that can be played effectively against, well... just about anything. Yes, he is Sonic the Hedgehog, BUT, hes really isn't a character build for "competitive smash brothers". If you think about it, his final smash is obscene for a reason.

Every Sonic "main" here has a secondary that they play more because they don't win against good players with Sonic. I can't even consider myself a Sonic main anymore because my win ratios is almost zero as him. Beyond that fact that I am me, and you are you, no matter how you look at it, this is the case.

Sonic "pros" like LuCKy and Izzy aren't even really an acception. Yes, they do play Sonic far better than many ever will, but if you ask them they have a better "secondary" that they can fall back on at almost any point compared to their Sonic. They may even deny my statements, but they know its true. (if that makes sense)

It is HIGHLY doubtful the discovery we all have been waiting for will come, i.e., the new washdash, but I really don't think it is. Also, do not think this is a hate Sonic post, because it really is not at all. It is the truth. I am among the biggest Sonic fans, and I am a pure fanboy till the end, but my disappointments in the reality are beside me. It hurt me almost to a physical point.

You should also understand, or even realize, that Brawl is NOT meant for 1v1, no items, competitive matches. Regardless of other arguments, the truth is that Smash was meant for a party game that had a physics engine abused. The reason melee and 64 are what they are today because people like us wanted it to be a competitive fighter when that idea was not taken into consideration in is development. Sonic is an element of that game to promote brawl's calling card, the final smash.

Flame me all you like, but I have dealt with the actually of this, but still play a bottom tier character main in a game I play competitively when its not supposed to be. Why? I have no clue. I guess I can;t fully accept that my dream character is almost useless, but that is besides the point.

Sonic winning a tournament is a sign of the apocalypse. If anyone wins a major tournament with him, make sure you have access to a bible and do not stop praying to god that you will make it to salvation.

Edit: I misspelled "make" amek in the last part, and spell checking it comes up with "amen", and if thats not a sign or something then I don't know what to say. Also, I am really drunk, but my statements stand tall in the fight against them.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
What? No... why would I?
YOU'RE TALKING NONSENSE, MAN!

Memphis, you're wrong... Lucky sucks nads with every character but sonic, that's why he mains him :p
His Dedede is decent from what I have seen, but videos mean nothing when defining a player, they are just for concept analysis.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Funny you should mention that, since DDD is one of the few characters Sonic can actually beat on a level playing field.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Funny you should mention that, since DDD is one of the few characters Sonic can actually beat on a level playing field.
Thats because of his size. Sonic does better against heaver (bigger target) characters. They are the only people he can work his attacks against because of his low priority. You can't really deny my logic with real evidence because my words are true about the blue blur. Until something (if ever) is found that will help Sonic out (not something every character can do thats not a stall or something bannible), then he will be a "bad character".

It is like waking up Christmas mourning to coal for me. I waited a long time and dreamed of this moment only to get a hard, [blue], piece of stool.

Edit: He doesn't suck nads with every other character btw, he mains Sonic because he is a fanboy like me.

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
Do this. In the beginning rounds when you sit next to a nobody your sure to beat, pick your sonic. Then when you win scream, "yes i whooped your *** with sonic!" so that everyone looks and recognizes your good with sonic. Then use zelda and wolf in later matches ;)

This, actually, is why some people are credited with low characters. I won't name names but i knew a guy who was credited for playin a low tier well because when he went into matches he KNEW he was gonna lose he picked his low tier. Then people went "well it was azen, at least he put up a good fight" lol.

LuCKy

Smash Master
Do this. In the beginning rounds when you sit next to a nobody your sure to beat, pick your sonic. Then when you win scream, "yes i whooped your *** with sonic!" so that everyone looks and recognizes your good with sonic. Then use zelda and wolf in later matches ;)
im doing this today........lol

hmmm or should i go all sonic to see how far i get lol

either way i don't think i can win with dsf's snake around :/

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all of the responses guys.

@ Soloman: I won't be able to do any tourneys until mid May when school is out and I am back in Atlanta.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
You lie memphis.... Lucky sucks big monkey nads at SSBB and he knows it :D
And I'm not denying any logic :x
I was just saying, if he wants to use Sonic in a tournament and not fail horribly he needs to practice a lot which is true. How far we can take Sonic is something that remains to be seen in my opinion; so to not use him in tournament play if you really do want to get better with him would be a mistake. I'm not saying you're going to win, but it's the best way to get better.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
You lie memphis.... Lucky sucks big monkey nads at SSBB and he knows it :D
And I'm not denying any logic :x
I was just saying, if he wants to use Sonic in a tournament and not fail horribly he needs to practice a lot which is true. How far we can take Sonic is something that remains to be seen in my opinion; so to not use him in tournament play if you really do want to get better with him would be a mistake. I'm not saying you're going to win, but it's the best way to get better.
true, practice makes you better. QFT

Top Bottom