• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Terrible in 4 player matches

Station

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else think Sonic is terrible in 4 player matches? it seems as if his speed goes to waste on the smaller maps, because they're so cluttered with people. I seem to build up alot of damage only to have my kills stolen by some down b spamming Cheapachu.

I really think the random online matches are very broken, you're not even given the option of stock so alot of it comes down to the luck of who gets the kill.

Sonic lacks KO'ing moves, i can get my opponent to a decent percentage, and someone can come and steal the kill because Sonic lacks the power to kill at that percentage.

It seems as i'm doing alot of the work and someone just comes in and takes all the credit, does anyone else feel the same?

Station

Smash Cadet
I can win, in 1 on 1's using Stock, but i just seem to have a really hard time in 4 player time matches on wifi.

No matter how much damage i build up someone still manages to steal my kills because they can kill at a lower percentage than me.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Work with the confusion that's caused by the fact that there's three other people fighting try to dodge everything. It becomes easier to spam his spin dashes, you'll hit someone, which leads to combos which = damage. Bair, Fsmash, Dsmash = kill moves. Also Uair is good if you can get them high up and hit em with it.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
^What he said. Plus Sonic is good to steal KOs with, just use the homing attack and/or kill moves on an opponent that is trying to recover.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
U kno, there was another thread relitivley new just like this one, lol :p

my thoughts in that thread:

Gimping is ur best friend, i honestly don't have much problem in stock matches, getting the majority of the ko's even when there is an Ike in the mix. But the two minute time limit... without item can be a bit hit or miss it seems to me. Doing damage isn't that big a deal.. but sonic's lack of ko moves and needing precise hits in a ffa? Can be tough. Stealing a ko when they are not ko'd instantly is a breeze if ur decent at gimping. Run off, fair or bair, home attack, heck, even a well timed spring will do the trick. Just in the two minute matches you lack the "time" to set up a lot of those scenarios

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why, but I've always felt as though Snake's the better multiman brawl character, and Sonic's the better one on one man. I've never lost in a one on one match as Sonic--his speed and combo potential is too much.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Homing attack, B-down, F-air, and dash attack are your friends in FFA. D-air is better for 1v1. In either case be prepared to go Sonic the Edgehog on everyone as often as you can.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Homing attack, B-down, F-air, and dash attack are your friends in FFA. D-air is better for 1v1. In either case be prepared to go Sonic the Edgehog on everyone as often as you can.
The Dair is definitely easier to hit with in FFA. Have you ever played FFA?

NorrYtt

Smash Cadet
I agree Sonic bad in FFA (like the Wi-Fi 2-minute Time 4-player FFAs). Sonic likes to have room to move and his moves feel like they need precise aim and require a significant amount of commitment to them. What shines more in FFA are things like Ike's Usmash and ground AAA combo, attacks with good arcs that can protect you from multiple angles or help you advance toward an item everyone wants.

The game seems to be sorely missing a 'Race to the Finish!' stage in Classic or something. Clearing the modes with all characters gets boring, but at least 'Race to the Finish!' had different gameplay and highlights who was horizontally fast/slow.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
No doubt about it, Sonic has to play like a cheap, kill-swiping ******* in FFA. Run around getting your digs in defensively, interfere with people when they're getting ready to K.O. a damaged enemy and interfere with recoveries whenever you can.

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
Another necessary tactic in FFA is using Sonic's speed to gimp anyone who gets knocked off the stage. No matter what side they are on, or how far they are from you, there's a chance you can catch them before they get back. Alternatively, you can gimp people who are out chasing, too. Always nice to make people afraid to leave their feet.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sonic works better in ffa or 2v2 then in 1v1.

1v1 no items seems to be his weakness since it is so hard to KO somebody.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
Sonic is all about chasing people. he isn't Ike; you gotta WORK for your KO's

I've been practicing him in 1v1 and seeing some heartwarming improvements and discoveries regarding pushing people off the stage. chase 'em off the ledge with fair. chase people off the top with a trampoline uair and sweetspot with the tips of his toes

other than that I don't know what to tell ya because you're right; Sonic is a very poor choice for FFA matches

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Sonic's pretty terrible in 1 player matches too in case you haven't noticed. He's just worse in 4 man ffa's because there are more people for him to be bad against.

Browny

Smash Hater
i honestly think sonic is better in FFA than 1vs1.

At my unis game club last night i managed to win 6 FFA matches in a row, and came 2nd 3 times. i was against plenty of ikes, snakes etc. the only ones i lost were vs pikachu and the dreaded skull bash >_>.
then against the very same players i dominated in 4vs4, i only won maybe 25% of my 1vs1 matches. i attribute this to sonic unpredictability. in 4 player theres so much going on people dont see the spring gimp or b-air from a mile off the stage. in 1vs1 the enemy pays close attention to all your moves and it really hurts sonic.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I have no trouble with sonic in 4 player matches i do good with him and more often than not win i have no problems with sonic i can use him with relative ease.

Mackaveli

Smash Rookie
i think sonic is good in both FFA and 1v1

a lot of ppl say he has no killing moves, but like dist0ria said u have to chase ppl down with aerials, especially his dair (which almost always hits something) and his uair, and his upsmash is perfect for setting those up (if the opponent isnt killed 1st) and it has a pretty wide hitbox so its perfect in situations where a lot of ppl are close to u it basically sends them all flying

just chase everyone in the air down with his aerials and u WILL get kills, and with his SICK (!!!!!!!) speed, this souldnt be too hard

just remember....They're too slow!!

Ereki

Smash Cadet
Just reflecting on some responses to this thread, as I've experienced in Free-For-All's.

Just like the Prima Guide states, he's, in general, weak for multiplayer matches. Your best bet is stealing kills, just as they do to you. Some of the attacks that Sonic can do, such as the D-Air, yes, are a bit more effective, because you have a higher chance of hitting someone/more than one person, but they are still punishable if you don't D-Air cancel.

If you're really having trouble, though, your best bet is to pick on someone and don't lose your focus. From my personal experience, I've gotten third or fourth on rare occasions. If you keep track on one person, you can just finish them off if they're over 100%, with an Up-Tilt Throw, chase and spring up to them, and B/U-Air to finish them off.

MetaKnight63

Smash Apprentice
Give yourself some space to do some Dashes, then semi-spam the Down Smash when you're crowded.
Like Ereki said, it's best to target one opponent.

And remember, always get the Smash Ball!

Top Bottom