• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic spring scenario

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
So i just saw a sonic vid where sonic up-b's above mario. i'd never noticed it before but his spring falls away after use. This was always just background animation to me until i saw it almost hit mario, so i ask. Can u interact with the falling spring i.e. could i up b and send it at my opponent while edge-guarding or will they simply pass through each other?

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Yes, you can. In some videos, I saw a fairly nice mini-combo where Sonic used his UP B in the air and the spring hit a character trying to chase Sonic (emphasis on trying) and then Sonic immediately used his down air to follow up on the spring's hit. I've also seen Sonic use the UP B while at the edge so that the spring fell down to hit a character trying to recover. The knockback wasn't all that great, but it is a projectile and buys you enough time to land and set yourself up for more edgeguarding.

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
Yep, when you use the spring on the air, it will fall down and hit any opponent, and even cause light damage. This causes the spring to immediately disappear, so you can only hit one opponent.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Watch some videos of LuCKy, he seems to have the spring timing down perfectly. I watched some of his videos, and when he edgeguards he always times the spring so it hits the opponent.

He has even killed with the very small knockback it does. I believe it was him vs Inks (Marth), he did a spring and the small knockback made Marth miss the edge by the tiniest amount. LuCKy annihilated Inks in both matches.

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
still, i dare say that sakurai actually gave sonic a good deal with all the up-b options. couldve easily just been another "we expected more" moments. thnx for the response

LuCKy

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrnbjL84kr8 1:30

i remember when i was making a big deal out of the spring a while back and people called me dumb lol

but i mean there is no other way to kill your opponent

if you wanna laugh at them with your superiorness............ lol

-edit sakurai did not intend for the up b to be used this way

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
yea i forgot who did it (zeal?? or something) but when you hit ike with the spring when he's in the UP+B animation you turn him around 180 degrees and im pretty sure he can't grab the edge...kinda cheap but sweet and gives you an advantage over him.

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
Ike never performed his up B animation before he was hit by the spring in both instances. Still, this shows good use of spring gimping.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Haha, that match was good times.

If he had of used it before the spring, he wouldn't have been able to reach the edge. If he used it during, he woulda gone down and to the right, after... well, you saw what happened.

It works decently enough for most match-ups, really. Just get them into the spot where everyone ever dies, and lulz about it.

LuCKy

Smash Master
InterimOfZeal coming wit teh spring kills n' gold sneakers lol very cool sonic i enjoyed your match a lot

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It's all about the gold shoes. Btw, huuuuuuuuge discovery about the bracelets.

They're actually floaties. That's why he doesn't drown in the water

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
but what about regular sonic???
I was wondering that too. Everybody's playing the dark-shade or yellow-shoe Sonic.

Although there's something very aesthetically pleasing about the slightly purple version.

Top Bottom