• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic speed - how to approach Sonic?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I'm too slow

Sorry if this is the wrong place - please merge it into another thread if I was supposed to put this in one.

anyway, basically I'm having trouble even approaching Sonic. By the time I'm getting anywhere near close enough to land a hit, he's already dashing off to the other side of the stage, or dash-grabbing me, or whatever. I don't think I've beaten a single one yet online (admittedly online lag and the fact I can't stand the damn hedgehog don't help [he just rubs me the wrong way :snake:], but still), and having my arse handed to me every time isn't teaching me anything (or at least, not that I'm noticing). Does anyone have any tips for getting the better of him?

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
you can just shield their spinny rolly thing, and bair them if they jump behind you.
don't approach, unless you got stuff, i mean some stuff, some tricky stuff, cut up some hedgehogs

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I don't know if I've lost to a Sonic on wifi yet, but I think just by sheer luck, I'm always playing one when I switch off Lucina/Marth for the 1 out of 50 games.

I'm not going to speculate on where the match up is. It was evenish in Brawl, a hard match up for Marth to deal with although on the surface it should be easy for Marth. Basically Sonic is able to power shield punish Marth's everything from everywhere, and he juggles us well, I doubt you'll be seeing much of that on wifi at this stage, but it's a concern.
I don't find most of the stuff sonic throws at me on wifi as safe on shield, he can cancel specials at specific places, not all places, and respecting dash grab from that is just about it.

I find I'm back airing out of shield a lot, auto cancelling into facing the right direction and hopefully covering the approach with down tilt or jab.

Up Tilt is also good.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sonic really can't touch your shield or attack Marth safely. Well few can truthfully. He is all about baiting you and punishing recovery on moves and then overwhelming you. I feel Dashing Assault is magic in this match-up since all of Sonic's hitboxes are attached to him.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Wifi destroys Sonic,
Your issue is in the thread title. You don't approach a Sonic, if you go aggro you're in for a really tough time.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Sonics aerial game is nothing compared to Marths. Guard and don't go aggro into him, and then go for a grab when you can, throw him into the air, and then you can juggle him like crazy. His spin dash can be hit by any move, but the timing on it is hard. Ive been able to shield break his spin dash and then fair him off the stage. Also, if you are careful, you can use SB to gimp his recovery from the edge, because his recovery tends to send him just above the ledge, so he wont actually grab it. You can use this against him very easily. From there, you can fair, uair, or dair. I dont recommend nair because it'll most likely send him back towards the stage. the key to fighting sonic is to juggle him, counter his smashes, and bait out his spin dash to either sheild-> punish or punish with another move. Another one I like to use is Dolphin Slash, because it comes out quick, and when used at the base has some good vertical knockback.

Top Bottom