• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Well speaking of Sonic, Sonic Twitter posted a gif that used this new Classic Sonic Model

Now people are saying this could be Project '17 Classic, but there is a problem with that; His fur is a different colour to the one Show in the Trailer (or that in general to Classic Sonic)

So... what's with this model?

:135:
No idea, but it looks pretty slick if you ask me.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Tryhard ness main on anther's spams pk thunder in a match and then SDs with pk thunder, then this happens:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

-_- Anther's is toxic sometimes.

Last edited:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
And you thought For Glory was bad.

Well, I mean, it is bad. But I know from experience that the salt is so much greater from someone who only thinks they're good at something.

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
So I went to two tournaments within the last two weekends.
Different venues, different players for the most part. I got 5th and 2nd respectively. Getting closer to first.
Ima train more this week. Next time. Hype!

Oh yeah, they're streamed and I am so hyped because I never had that privilege until now.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Honestly i think Roy is still a little too low, but i can understand why he has been put there.

Also why the hell is Pit and Pittoo two spaces apart? That makes little sense

Other then that I think it is pretty good

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Honestly i think Roy is still a little too low, but i can understand why he has been put there.

Also why the hell is Pit and Pittoo two spaces apart? That makes little sense

Other then that I think it is pretty good

As far as tourneys go, Dark Pit has 3 differences: Stronger, yet less maneuverable arrows, a weaker forward tilt, and Electroshock Arm that sends the opponent horizontally. Apparently this makes for a worse angel (probably due to the arrows)?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
As far as tourneys go, Dark Pit has 3 differences: Stronger, yet less maneuverable arrows, a weaker forward tilt, and Electroshock Arm that sends the opponent horizontally. Apparently this makes for a worse angel (probably due to the arrows)?
But His Arm literal makes up for his other difference. And in fact helps in in certain matches that Pit may not go well in

Rucent

I think this is the best tier list imo.

The key thing that gets to people here is how different each tier is.
Notable differences are obviously seen with each tier, but unlike the last tier list and the ones from the other games, the gap is very minuscule.

Thinking like this makes me understand the placings of these characters, and even agree with it all to be honest. Obviously some characters may rise or fall from here on out, but in terms of current development, it's pretty spot on.

Good stuff 4BR

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I agree overall it is a pretty good list imo

But there are still a few characters that just don't seem to be in the right spot or are in a spot and have no reason to be (Link for example)

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
SHINE IS ON LETS GO KELS

[/SPOILEncisco, CA. Scientists have constantly been sending signals out to no avail. Finally, they received a response and soon realized that something was trying to communicate with them.

“We were very excited," said one researcher. “I mean, humanity has been waiting for this moment for three thousand years, so there was no telling how profound this interaction would be.”

Smashboards was flown in by SETI themselves to report on the event, for some reason. We were there to report the first radio signals that were intercepted this morning. The entire globe was tuned in to witness the history unfolding before them, and that’s when the message was translated.

“Stop sending signals. Why do you think we haven’t made contact with you up to this point? Fermi Paradox? Nah. It’s that little blue [expletive] you people play at tournaments.” The creature went on to explain humanity's flawed logic.

“Did you really think you were alone in the Universe? I mean what’s really more likely, that the chances of Earth-like biological complexity on other planets is extremely slim or we were avoiding contact because of a character released in a party-game in 2008 and again in 2014?”

The creature then gave an ultimatum.

“Remove him from the game or at least give him a nerf, give him Ganon's speed or something, then we will consider visiting, maybe.”

Creator of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise, Masahiro Sakurai, has since come out with a solution to please our intergalactic friends.

“We have heard their complaints and we here at Nintendo have come to an agreement on what is to be done,” He paused before continuing. “We have decided to remove Jigglypuff from the game. Thank you, please understand.”

Hopefully this is enough to prevent the total war that they have threatened us with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
People tend to hate on Sonic either because they don't understand his character/games, or because hating on him is now the 'fun' thing to do.
It likely will never fade away, so it may just have to be a burden Sonic mains/fans have to bear.
The only thing you can do is play your best and hope that maybe someone will notice that he's just a misunderstood character.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
The real irony is that the people who hate Sonic have become dumber than the people in the Sonic fanbase.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So... what's everyone's thoughts of how Dath, a Robin player, beat a Sonic main?

People tend to hate on Sonic either because they don't understand his character/games, or because hating on him is now the 'fun' thing to do.
It likely will never fade away, so it may just have to be a burden Sonic mains/fans have to bear.
The only thing you can do is play your best and hope that maybe someone will notice that he's just a misunderstood character.
You can blame IGN and others for that. Although....

Rucent

So for the last 3 weeks I was able to go to tournaments in my region for the first time this patch (last time I went it was 1.1.3), and the placings are as followed:

Via Port (First Time): 5th
Pastime Legends (First Time): 2nd
Pastime Legends (Second Time): 12th
Via Port (Second Time): 2nd

Along with that, I am currently placed in B+ Player Tier (Gatekeeper) in the region. I am tied for 12th best in region with 6 others. This is the description that was given about my placing:

"Rucent only has a few recent brackets so far, but his results have been quite stellar. His only loss below B+ is Miguel Kelso, and he has B+ and a couple A tier wins." (8/30/16)

Several players have said that I have the potential to be on the next PR, and I know I am capable of being apart of that. As long as I am able to keep going to these weekly/bi-weekly tournaments, I know I can get there. I am so hyped.

Oh yeah, I started doing commentary and that was very fun! People liked my commentary because I pinpoint the importance of spacing while highlighting key concepts in the match ups I saw. If you guys never tried it before, I highly recommend it!

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I miss playing smash; I got online the other day and conpletely forgot about the fact that I use more aerial zoning than I do spin dashes. After noticing my lack of aerial use and constant use of apin dash, I got bodied by many people XP. Rip me.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Guess I'm starting to understand why robin isn't in low tier. Good stuff to dath at shine this year.
Robin really is a good character. His tools place a focus on the tactical prowess that he is supposed to be known for, and these tools give him the ability to bring the match to his pace with just a few careful decisions.
On top of that, I honestly think he represents his series better than the other FE characters we have.
And he doesn't have Counter.
Anyone who doesn't have a counter move is OK in my book.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Guess I'm starting to understand why robin isn't in low tier. Good stuff to dath at shine this year.
Bruh, Robin was never low tier. Only reason people thought he was cause of his slow running speed.

Well who's Too Slow now huh?

Robin really is a good character. His tools place a focus on the tactical prowess that he is supposed to be known for, and these tools give him the ability to bring the match to his pace with just a few careful decisions.
On top of that, I honestly think he represents his series better than the other FE characters we have.
And he doesn't have Counter.
Anyone who doesn't have a counter move is OK in my book.
Plus his always three steps ahead :4robinm:

Oh so you're also a hater for counter moves? Is that hate on using them or receiving them?

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Oh so you're also a hater for counter moves? Is that hate on using them or receiving them?
I actually think that counters have their place in the game. I don't dislike all counters or counter users.
They're punishable, they're predictable, they stop momentum, and they're not the best landing option.

The general reason I dislike them is that with some characters, they tend to be more of a low-risk high-reward style of move.
Counters are "get off me" moves, but some far surpass that function in their current state with their damage multipliers and frame data. The biggest issue I have is a counter's invincibility frames that prevent grab punishes, meaning that you have to be very timely in punishing them and have a bigger chance to mess up a punish.
I have also been told that some characters need their counters to be viable, but I'm not sure if I'm on board with that.

On a more personal note, Sakurai's choice for how a FE series counter works in Smash doesn't relate with the series well. As in, there is very little resemblence. As a FE player, this irks me. Well, Homing Attack irks me for the same reason. But that's just me nitpicking, it's not meant to be taken too seriously.

So, tl;dr : Some counters can be ridiculous, and I'm not very fond of them as a result. However, they are NOT broken.
Except Witch Time. Always except Witch Time.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Witch Time also has a lot of counterplay, but it is very specific and counter-intuitive.
Funny enough, Sonic is one of the best characters at dealing with it.
:196:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I see you're quite fond for Pacman and Olimar.

At least I do understand, we all get to have problems with our schedules and free time.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I see you're quite fond for Pacman and Olimar.

At least I do understand, we all get to have problems with our schedules and free time.
PAC-MAN I'm probably biased for because of Sinji.

Olimar I might've put a little too high because of my opinion of the character + Dabuz.

:093:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
If you American's are going to change your Anthem, you better make it the Theme from Team America.

In regards to the tier list, It's probably only fair to share my vote as well.
View attachment 116779
I swear the double D's are unintentional.
Glad to see someone giving Link and Roy the respect they diverse

Honestly like this tier list more than the official one

I actually think that counters have their place in the game. I don't dislike all counters or counter users.
They're punishable, they're predictable, they stop momentum, and they're not the best landing option.

The general reason I dislike them is that with some characters, they tend to be more of a low-risk high-reward style of move.
Counters are "get off me" moves, but some far surpass that function in their current state with their damage multipliers and frame data. The biggest issue I have is a counter's invincibility frames that prevent grab punishes, meaning that you have to be very timely in punishing them and have a bigger chance to mess up a punish.
I have also been told that some characters need their counters to be viable, but I'm not sure if I'm on board with that.

On a more personal note, Sakurai's choice for how a FE series counter works in Smash doesn't relate with the series well. As in, there is very little resemblence. As a FE player, this irks me. Well, Homing Attack irks me for the same reason. But that's just me nitpicking, it's not meant to be taken too seriously.

So, tl;dr : Some counters can be ridiculous, and I'm not very fond of them as a result. However, they are NOT broken.
Except Witch Time. Always except Witch Time.
Ah okay i see what you mean. Personally i don't mind using Counters (especially being a Roy main)

You just need to know when to use them best i.e when your opponent is recovering etc

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
PAC-MAN I'm probably biased for because of Sinji.

Olimar I might've put a little too high because of my opinion of the character + Dabuz.

At least I agree with Olimar, he's a dormant beast, a lot won't realize it's there unless they play against one.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I personally don't believe that marth is top 20. I don't care about how well a couple have done with him, he still loses to a lot of characters. Not loking forward to the end of ZeRo's tier list video. This kind of results bs is understandable from people with subpar understandings of the game like Acestarthe3rd, but this is ZeRo. I know he said mostly around his opinion of the character, but he seems to be making results a bigger factor than they actually are.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
As a Lucina main, please allow me to tell you: The spacing game is super safe, a lot of their aerials are unpunishable on shield when well-spaced, and their edgeguard game is VERY scary.
Then their disadvantage state is terrible, a lot of top tiers take advantage of them in very nasty ways. That alone is what would make Lucina not any better than "solid mid tier" with another like 30 characters.

But then there are Marth's tippers, and imo, they are BS.
Kill stupid early, sourspots combo into tippers, and stray tipper hits can change the result of matches and steal victories.

Basically, they both have a very solid neutral game, and unless you can match or beat it, there exists the possibility that a random tipper from Marth kills you early and then you lose.

BS is what defines top tiers in this game.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Marth is not a character to take lightly. People who space well with Marth can force you to back up and review what's happening. On top of that Sonic doesn't trade too well with characters like Marth.
I also agree that tipper can be ridiculous. I'm not fond of it myself. Marth's spacing game already has good things going for it. However, Smash 4 has not been as kind to Marth as Melee and Brawl were.

And secretly
I'm okay with that.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Marth is scary, don't get me wrong, but if you can rush him down he can't really get out of a disadvantageous state very well. And even so, marth mains say that he loses to characters like ike and olimar. And pugwest flat out says that pikachu, diddy, and sheik are near polarizing matchups for marth. Anti also said that mario beats marth now.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Marth may be good with all his fancy tippers and what not

Roy is our Boy.

That's all i will say

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
To be fair even if roy isn't better than marth he's still very underrated. He can go even with rosaluma and in theory he has tools to go even with sonic. Also, manny managed to two stock anti's cloud with roy on battlefield of all places, and there was also ryo's roy beating abadango's mewtwo at ssc. And sethlon got 17th at LTC4 (why does no one point that out? He may have not out placed anyone significant but it was still a big tournament nonetheless).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Maybe you're biased because Sonic, he's one of the characters that have better neutral than the Falchions.
As I said, theirs is very good, but the characters you listed have even better neutral.
But the majority of the cast has to respect the range.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Maybe you're biased because Sonic, he's one of the characters that have better neutral than the Falchions.
As I said, theirs is very good, but the characters you listed have even better neutral.
But the majority of the cast has to respect the range.
What?

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
How am I being biased? I've seen the marth matchup spread on the boards and I've seen opinions from other marth mains. From what I've seen he doesn't dominate as many characters as people may think. He can compete with some of them, but he doesn't have too many notable wins. He may actually be able to keep up with sheik since her fair no longer outranges marth's and the needle nerf allows marth to get in easier. Why else would Leo counterpick marth to beat mr r at sf5? Yes, I said counterpick. He used meta knight and cloud in the tourney more than he used marth. IDK why people call him more of a marth main now.

But to prove that I'm not being biased at all, I also main pit, and imo marth has a slight advantage over pit (lucina doesn't because she isn't as threatening). May not sound like much, but it's still enough for me to play sonic in the mu.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Don't get me wrong, I don't think very highly of Marth either and I know they lose a lot of the top tier matchups.
But the Falchions don't need to have Diddy levels of oppression to be good, just winning the neutral over and over is enough in most cases; a lot of the mid and low tiers struggle to get past the blade's range.
I have no comments on Leo counterpicking or not, mainly because I am fairly convinced he's just a better overall player than Mr. R (who is still really good), but he definitely used Marth more than any other character during Smash Factor 5. I WAS THERE.

As for the last comment, I would ask what makes Lucina not have an advantage if Marth does, but I already know what you're going to answer.
The right kind of answer is something along the lines of "Marth's reward is ******** good".
The wrong kind of answer is "she has less range"

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I think it was ally that said that leo is more of a marth counterpick since he says that he didn't really use him that much at the egames tourney.

Wait, you were at sf5? Lucky :l

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Can't we all just agree to disagree that both Marth and Lucina are both good. And that Robin is the best emblem character? (Also Roy)

Top Bottom