• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I'm avoiding spoilers. I've spoiled myself on everything from Undertale to Super Mario Odyssey, and after reflecting on this I realized that I REALLY need to break the habit.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So I was just playing around on Super Smash Bros versing CPU when I found out something interesting with Sonic's Homing attack (default, not customs). It seems to have two variations on it; one is the standard homing attack that does ~12% damage. But by accident of hit A at the right time after inputting B, I found Sonic can also do a faster version that does less damage (5%) and knockback.

Was this already common knowledge or is this completely new info?

:135:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I've experienced this before for sure. With several million players it is incredibly likely that someone else has discovered any neat tricks that I find in game, and such has proven to be the case time and time again.
That being said, here's an example of that goes the other direction: take the 'coin case glitch' from Pokemon Gold/Silver.
Players have been aware that a glitch could occur when using the coin case item in the American version from launch day (1999), but it took 10 years for players to discover that the glitch could be used to do almost anything in the game. The glitch can be used to speedrun the entire game in under 45 minutes, generate any pokemon with any stats, and even reset event flags in the game to re-battle gym leaders or get additional starter pokemon.
Point is, if you fiddle with something well known long enough, you might still discover a new use for it. Keep trying!

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Once upon a time, I thought I was the coolest kid in town for discovering Reverse Aerial Rush way back in the early days of Brawl. A useful move for sure, but now I know better than to think I'm the first at finding anything.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I feel like I’ve actually discovered some interesting pit combos. A couple top pit players never knew about them beforehand, but unfortunately I don’t have the means to record anything since I don’t have a capture device.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
So I played Sonic Forces for a few hours today. I played it with as much optimism as I could muster to try to give it a fair chance. So far I wouldn't rate it as low as Polygon, but... well, here's my thoughts after playing through about a 1/3 of the game :
Sonic Forces doesn't really suffer from any severe problems like 06 and Boom suffered from, but it still feels like it falls short of even modest expectations. I could write 3 or 4 paragraphs on this, but the main points are:
- Classic Sonic's gameplay is probably the most solid, but its still a step backward from Mania in terms of control.
- Modern Sonic's gameplay seem to have less control than Generations. Level design appears to compensate for this, but the result tends to be levels are mostly either hold boost sections or memorize-to-not-die sections, with very few decent platforming sections in between.
- Custom player's gameplay is clunky for a Sonic game. On its own, it might stand, but gameplay is jarring in a manner that feels like it wasn't a fully fleshed out concept. Ultimately its not that bad, but It still feels like it falls flat.
So far it doesn't feel like much more than a 6/10. 7/10 may be a bit too generous, and it's most likely not an 8/10.

Tl;dr : Better than Boom and 06, worse than Generations in terms of controls, worse than Lost World in terms of level design.
I'd really like to hear some more opinions on it.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I’m kinda the exact opposite; I actually really like the custom character and modern stages, but the classic stages feel too slow. Level design also feels kinda bare bones; not so much in terms of the levels themselves, because the levels themselves are actually really fun. I’m talking about how they all LOOK so similar. Tho they obviously have different layouts and platforming sections, they all look like they take place in the same setting.

The story isn’t perfect, but I like how [if you think about it] it has that vibe similar to playing a Sonic Adventure game. In fact, thinking about now, modern Sonic is kinda behaving more like Drummond’s Sonic with his attitude. IDK why but I’m starting to see a shocking resemblance to Drummond’s Sonic in the way that Smith delivers his lines.

Do wish that those comics that were posted on Sonic’s twitter were implemented into the core game in some way, however. Would add a LOT more to the story, especially to those who never got to see them.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I think the storyline is pretty much the redeeming feature of the game. Kinda.
My main gripe is about how the most interesting aspects of the story (the returning villians) are explained away unsatisfactorily (there were Illusions the whole time). So they were never relevant from the start. Aside from that, I do actually appreciate the tone taken here. It reminds me of Adventure 1 and 2 in a positive way.

Level design is where I differ though.
Classic Sonic has a good chunk of stages that just don't complement his intended playstyle.
Modern Sonic's levels are a step back from Unleashed, Colors, and Generations. Short stages with little to no platforming.
And OC's levels...feel like they would be better played with Modern Sonic instead. This is where the game's main 3D platforming is, and for what it is its actually pretty good; but that same platforming is absent from Modern Sonic's stages.

If OC was nixed and their stages were slightly re-worked to hand over to M Sonic, I think the game would have more potential.
The OC concept is nice, but I want to play as Sonic. The stages for Sonic are a real mixed bag of subpar treats..

Its not really a bad game, but altogether I'm finding it un-engaging in comparision to previous 3D titles. "Bland" is probably the best way to describe it. I actually don't feel enticed to continue playing it. Though it would be unfair to give it a half-done review, so I'll probably push to get it done at some point so I can have a solid opinion on it.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
After a lot of the stuff I've heard, I'm starting to think that maybe Sonic Forces isn't the best game to break my "spoil EVERYTHING" habit with.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
IDC if I get banned or flagged for saying this but Smash Bros discords can literally go die and rot in hell for all I care. The only thing I’ll ever give about it is the acid that I’ll be spitting on its inevitable grave.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic Forces is the most extremely alright game. Certain aspects impressed me while others were lacking or just disappointing.

The story was actually super entertaining and the music is good, albeit both cheesy. The good kind of cheesy though. Like, it's just really hammed up and I loved that.

I liked the OC in the narrative way more than I thought I would and didn't really mind the customization but the actual avatar gameplay imo is the weakest of the 3. Classic Sonic as a character though still feels the most unnecessary in terms of story... And tbh he had the least amount of levels and they weren't anything to write home about.

Levels are really short and uninspired. Even the best stages end right as I'm starting to get into them and overall aren't terribly challenging. Certainly not innovative.

The level design feels like a step backwards from Colors/Generations which is... Shocking. Even a step backward from Unleashed, which had really memorable, challenging maps but were maybe run on a little too gamebreaking of an engine.

This game feels like a 5-6 out of 10, which is upsetting because if you literally just had Generations style controls and level design it would easily jump to a 7-8 for me.

Like, really? They even took out drifting? How...
IDC if I get banned or flagged for saying this but Smash Bros discords can literally go die and rot in hell for all I care. The only thing I’ll ever give about it is the acid that I’ll be spitting on its inevitable grave.
I'll let it slide since I'm a human and not a robot that can discern that you're directing your anger at a platform and not maliciously threatening living people.

:093:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I with the general opinion as well. The game had some good and great moments. But it still had a lot of let downs and just overall unused potential, even with the story.

Speaking of the story, while I think it is definitely pretty good and a step up from past games, it just felt like there was too much telling of events happening and never showing it, for example
Why does Sonic, after being tortured for 6 months, still act chipper as ever. Seriously, couldn't they show him just a little bit shaken from the suffering his gone under.

I also feel like the story was convey way to much using the com chats, further not using "Show, don't tell".

As for everything else, pretty much my opinion is the same as most others said. Though I honestly did enjoy the OC levels a lot more the Sonics mostly cause I had a tiny be more control over my actions within the Stage. But yeah the controls and animations looked like they took a lot from Lost World and that kind of hurt the game more then help. And stages end way too quickly. I mean I know Generations had some really short stages (i'm looking at you Rooftop Run) but I never felt like I was playing a full stage in Forces, only part of it.

Oh and the music.... was alright. I really enjoyed the OC music and Modern Sonic was pretty alright. Classic Sonic's was very forgettable and kind of clashed with the games aesthetics. One complaint I do have is the over abundance in syth music. I really want them to stay with Rock/Orchestral music like in Adventure 2 and Unleashed.

Also Sega has apparent a survey going on for feed back on Forces. If you wish to give your feed back about
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfNowGW4qwu0NVUUHbrDVD66mkVGPezMo1xFGWcv1zFCZM0QQ/viewform

Forces isn't a bad game but its definitely not what Sonic needed and it makes me worry it will just add fuel to the fire of "Sonic was never good in 3D" or "Sonic Team should only stick with Mania" and other such lovely discussions

What happened? People unnecessarily crapping on Forces?

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I get pretty concerned about my bias when I try to develop an opinion on something like this, so It's nice to get a few more opinions of the game here to compare and contrast with.
I also didn't know SEGA was doing a survey. I might hop on over there and get that done.

On a side note, is anyone aware of the director's cut of Sonic 3D Blast in the works? One of the original programmers is showing his progress on it on his Youtube channel, and so far its actually pretty neat!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
The Merc The Merc Camalange Camalange

The amount of abuse that I’ve been getting from people on discord for sharing my opinions was just absurdly excessive. Let’s just say that for now (if you want details, just dm me).

Hmmmmm, that seems about right. I honestly started to grow a dislike for the Smash Bros communities when it comes to discussions and opinions for the fact that they abuse people hard. Hell I sometimes dislike it more then the Sonic "Fanbase".

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Hmmmmm, that seems about right. I honestly started to grow a dislike for the Smash Bros communities when it comes to discussions and opinions for the fact that they abuse people hard. Hell I sometimes dislike it more then the Sonic "Fanbase".

I still stand that the Capcom fanbase is the worst one though. At least with Sonic, SSB, MLP, etc there’s a middle ground that you can run to or at least know of. That’s not prevelant with Capcom’s fanbase (at least their fighters, anyway.)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Speaking of show don't tell, how about PLAY don't tell. Here's a gripe:
I can't believe there's literally no boss bottle for Chaos or Shadow and it's only shown through cutscenes like what's even the point of Infinite having that power and bringing these characters back if not for cool boss bottles like I'm legitimately baffled
The Merc The Merc Camalange Camalange

The amount of abuse that I’ve been getting from people on discord for sharing my opinions was just absurdly excessive. Let’s just say that for now (if you want details, just dm me).
Unfortunately I'm not active on Discord but in these situations you should report to moderators of those channels. I have influence in Sonic Discords but again, as stated, not terribly active.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Speaking of show don't tell, how about PLAY don't tell. Here's a gripe:
I can't believe there's literally no boss bottle for Chaos or Shadow and it's only shown through cutscenes like what's even the point of Infinite having that power and bringing these characters back if not for cool boss bottles like I'm legitimately baffled

This. All of this.
I was so frustrated that THAT is the direction that was chosen. I was legitimately mad.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
My opinion on Sonic Forces: Thank god Sonic Mania is a thing.

Sonic Team definitely needs a "Christian Whitehead" to lead it. Not the actual Taxman, let him make 2D Sonic games, please. But the team could definitely use new, younger minds, that know how to make a game around one or two core features instead of adding one billion unpolished things to a game like Sonic Team does. Nintendo is the living proof that having ancient people leading a company isn't a good idea and when they let younger people shine, they really shine (see Animal Crossing, Splatoon, even ARMS to a lesser extent).

Sonic Forces is not a bad game, but it is tiring to have yet another mediocre 3D Sonic game.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I've been doing some thinking about Sonic Forces, and the Sonic series as a whole. Prepare for a wall of text.

Since Sonic Forces got its middling reception, I'm fairly convinced that Sonic Team just doesn't know how to make a good Sonic game. I can't point fingers at any specific party within Sonic Team, since I'm talking on hunches rather than formal research, but you can kinda get the sense of that notion when you look at the quality of Sonic titles from the past 10 or 15 years. Speaking personally, Colors, Generations, Mania, and specific parts of Adventure 2 are the only games that make me think "Yeah, I could see myself going back to that."

So what exactly is going on over there? Is it really so hard to sit down and figure out the problems they're having with the process of making these games? I'm no game design expert myself - I've made one game that's hardly worth the notoriety, and I watch a lot of Extra Credits - but after 15 years you'd think they would have something nailed down.

Look at Mario. I made a joke about the Mario games' predictability once, but it's no secret that mainline Mario games are extremely high-quality products filled to the brim with hours of fun and satisfying gameplay. You know what to expect to an extent, and generally speaking those expectations are met with aplomb. But at the same time, this gives the Mario dev team a lot of power to do something wild and crazy that you wouldn't expect them to do with Mario - for example, taking control of a T.Rex and wreaking havoc. Because the base gameplay is solid, the surprise offers an interesting twist and makes for a memorable moment. Sonic, on the other hand? You have no idea what to expect, let alone whether or not it'll be worth your while. So when a Sonic game surprises you with something, it's not usually a pleasant surprise.

I get what they were trying to do with Sonic Forces; Generations was a good 3D Sonic, and it makes sense to iterate on that formula. But what they gave us is just so watered-down, unexciting, and unengaging compared to what came before that it's an insult to Generations to even name it as inspiration. It doesn't look fun to play, and a lot of the time you're not even playing; Alpharad and Radicalsoda have both made jokes in their videos about the first double-boost QTE being completely optional, with amusing results. I don't see why Sonic Team would think removing control from us makes their game more fun when fan games like Green Hill Paradise are solid arguments that letting us keep control all the time can be made to work.

It's not easy being a Sonic fan these days, but I'll keep on chugging. I'll just temper my expectations next time I see a "big" Sonic game with Sonic Team's logo on it. Lightning already struck twice with Colors and Generations, after all.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I'll share my thoughts. I thoroughly enjoyed both the story and gameplay. Haven't decided where it compares to other games yet. I'm in the camp who feels Avatar>Modern Sonic>>Classic Sonic. I love playing as the Avatar, customizing it, and making tons of OC's now that I beat the game. The controls are definitely less polished I can tell however. Where as Heroes and Shadow are the epitome of loose Sonic, Forces is the epitome of stiff Sonic.

Story wise, I think it is a step in the right direction, at least in tone. I like how the levels were more grounded than Lost World. Furthermore I think this has some of the best gameplay-story/cutscene integration in the series, at least in the modern era. What I mean is that story wise, the levels in most games are completely segregated from the story. For example, in Unleashed and Colors, the point of the worlds is to get to the temple or generator, yea? Well at the end of the levels, you end up in this random location, then in the next cutscene he's suddenly now in the temple when where he ended the level last the temple did not look anywhere close by. In Forces, you're going thru levels for a purpose which is where the level ends. You want to hijack a space ship? You end the level in a bay where you see a parked ship. You want to find Shadow? He's standing right next to the goal post. End the level on a failed attempt to escape prison running down a hallway? The next cutscene shows you still running down the hallway meeting up with another character whom you played as before, who ended their level running down a similar hallway. Reminds me of Sonic Adventure 1 in that regard.

Also, the level banter is also some of the best implemented in the series, comparatively speaking. In Colors the the PA Announcements are hilarious, but they are soft, echoey, and you runn by them really quickly, rendering the best part of the game shot in the throat. In Lost World, it was just "I STRONG. YOU WEAK. DIE" villain banter. And the less said of Rise of Lyric, the better. In here, it builds what's happening around you, it's varied, and most importantly, on replay if you are sick of hearing it, you can turn it off! It's fantastic.

Overall I like the game very much, but I can understand why others would not like it or be mad at the mounds of missed potential.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Sonic Forces is still a 6.5/10 for me, but I can’t go too hard on them since a different team making the game.

In other news, I’m sorry, everyone, but for the sake of me improving and not sucking at this game, sacrifices have to be made
1E0EBDB0-4702-4DCB-A7A3-5BF8A53EA6DF.png

_Silver_

I don't even know anymore.
NNID
coffeeman65
3DS FC
1349-8695-1576
What I'm mad about is how come all 3 villains were bosses EXCEPT Chaos? Did they forget about him, or were they too neglectful for their own good?

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Regardless of the results of Sonic Forces, I'm interested to see what Sega will do next. With the crazy success of Mania, I wonder if they will do some internal reflection on what works and what doesn't.
I've seen interviews where some devs working for Sega were aware that Mania would do well, and others were completely surprised.
The only bit I'm concerned about will be how Forces is perceived by Sega success-wise. It has actually sold (relatively) well on the Switch, so here's hoping the sales numbers don't encourage them to make another Forces.

In other news, I’m sorry, everyone, but for the sake of me improving and not sucking at this game, sacrifices have to be made
If you want to really improve with the game then yes, playing as other characters can help. Knowing the ins-and-outs of both your character and your opponent's character is an important step for fighting games. With 50+ characters Smash is a bit more difficult to do so with, but the more characters you get familiar with, the more you can improve.

That being said; I would not recommend switching mains if you're only switching because you think it will automatically improve your game. That usually doesn't go over too well.
On the flip side, if you think Fox's playstyle is a better fit for you, then cool! Go for it!
Either way, Good luck!

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
If you want to really improve with the game then yes, playing as other characters can help. Knowing the ins-and-outs of both your character and your opponent's character is an important step for fighting games. With 50+ characters Smash is a bit more difficult to do so with, but the more characters you get familiar with, the more you can improve.

That being said; I would not recommend switching mains if you're only switching because you think it will automatically improve your game. That usually doesn't go over too well.
On the flip side, if you think Fox's playstyle is a better fit for you, then cool! Go for it!
Either way, Good luck!
It’s mainly because I’ve been playing Sonic for two years now and I’ve gotten absolutely nowhere with him. I felt that it was time that I quit playing him since my growth with Sonic is nothing like my growth with my Pit (which keep in mind has had imrpoved much quicker).

Plus I’ve probably been the least optimistic person about Sonic for some while now. I’ve stated that Greninja, Pit, and Mario all go even with Sonic, which virtually everyone disagrees with (I was even verbally abused about this opinion one time). So why play a character that I’ve never had any faith in to begin with? Not to mention the fact that I believe that Fox is top 5 in the game.

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Like I said, if you wanna Fox, go Fox. The only reason I give caution here is that if you're maining a character there's gotta be some devotion to that. If you're gonna switch mains the only way you'll know if the new one is the right fit is by putting the same amount of time and effort as the previous one. There's some dedication involved.

On the other note, verbal abuse is no good.
Something important though: since individual opinions and experiences vary, collective perspectives help to pick out the likelyhood of certain MU's being what they are. In our case, that's basically the whole point of the "Book of MatchUps" thread.
If a majority thinks things work one way, that case is more likely to be correct. It may not be correct, but its more likely to be.
This kind of talk is why I'm kinda bummed the MU thread is dead.

Because I feel like it, here's my 2 cents on your mentioned MUs:
- I agree to some extent for Mario on stage, but offstage leans towards Sonic enough that it might put the MU in Sonic's favor.
- Greninja can pressure Sonic decently, but If you pay attention to his tricks, froggy struggles to top the MU.
- As for Pit, the few I've seen have mostly been strong victories by Sonic, but I don't have much experience myself on that MU. Dark pit does seem to be a bit more difficult of an MU for Sonic from what I've seen.
And we might disagree here, and that's fine. Everyone's playstyle and experience is slightly different after all. As long as you keep trying to learn from yourself and other players you'll do fine.
And if you continue to disagree, just settle it in Smash. That's the whole point, isn't it?

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Like I said, if you wanna Fox, go Fox. The only reason I give caution here is that if you're maining a character there's gotta be some devotion to that. If you're gonna switch mains the only way you'll know if the new one is the right fit is by putting the same amount of time and effort as the previous one. There's some dedication involved.

On the other note, verbal abuse is no good.
Something important though: since individual opinions and experiences vary, collective perspectives help to pick out the likelyhood of certain MU's being what they are. In our case, that's basically the whole point of the "Book of MatchUps" thread.
If a majority thinks things work one way, that case is more likely to be correct. It may not be correct, but its more likely to be.
This kind of talk is why I'm kinda bummed the MU thread is dead.

Because I feel like it, here's my 2 cents on your mentioned MUs:
- I agree to some extent for Mario on stage, but offstage leans towards Sonic enough that it might put the MU in Sonic's favor.
- Greninja can pressure Sonic decently, but If you pay attention to his tricks, froggy struggles to top the MU.
- As for Pit, the few I've seen have mostly been strong victories by Sonic, but I don't have much experience myself on that MU. Dark pit does seem to be a bit more difficult of an MU for Sonic from what I've seen.
And we might disagree here, and that's fine. Everyone's playstyle and experience is slightly different after all. As long as you keep trying to learn from yourself and other players you'll do fine.
And if you continue to disagree, just settle it in Smash. That's the whole point, isn't it?
That first point I agree with! I just picked Fox because he’s more similar to Pit than any other character in the game imo. Both need to consistently win neutral constantly, both have some of the best juggling tools/capabilities in the game, both have very good dash attacks, heck, they even have the near exact same timings for dash trots. That and he destroys Pit’s bad matchups harder (MK, DK, Lucario), so I’ll put in work for my Fox, tho it’ll take a while for him to evolve since the tournaments that I’m able to go to is very limited.

On that other note, there was a bit of a miswording on my part: technically it wasn’t verbal abuse as much as it was the guy coming across as very toxic and yelling at me (I could tell the by the way he was typing in his words), tho he did tell me to f*** off after saying that he refused to agree to disagree with that (not in those exact words obviously, but the intent pretty much meant the same).

Also that’s an interesting take on matchups. Never thought about it that way. I kinda miss these Smashboards mu threads now.

I can see where you’re coming from. It just feels like because I’m not on a high enough level that people don’t consider my opinions relevant. But then one another person of my level or lower states their own opinion and everyone is much less salty about it for whatever reason (I bet you’ve never had someone peer pressure you into money matching you even though you never agreed to it in the first place). Thankfully not everyone is like this to me, but I guess Pit as a character is meant to trigger people just by being brought up in a convo (or by just simply punishing them with my long ranged dash attack ^_^). So now I’m kinda learning to harness this theory to bother everyone and it’s actually working.

Really? Huh. That just...kind of undermines the entire point I was trying to make.

Well, at least now we know why I don't talk much beyond the occasionally pithy comment. >_>
To be fair I’m not entirely certain if the WHOLE team is replaced, but I did hear that they had new team members work on this game; most notably in the level design department.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Sonic Forces had several previous Sonic game devs working on it, most of the complaints are just about the level design team.
Only one of them has notably worked on a Sonic game, and that was level designing for Lost World.
It just feels like because I’m not on a high enough level that people don’t consider my opinions relevant. But then one another person of my level or lower states their own opinion and everyone is much less salty about it for whatever reason (I bet you’ve never had someone peer pressure you into money matching you even though you never agreed to it in the first place).
Unless someone is clearly not very good at the game, I would be hesitant to call them out on their opinion solely due to their level of skill. Going back to a previous point; individual experience is incredibly important here to the point where in some cases individual experience can beat out actual skill level.
I've both seen and been in matches where one player was clearly more skilled than the other and still lost because the less skilled player was more experienced for a specific match up.
So everyone's got something different to offer, and in some cases their level of skill isn't that important. Though, obviously, the higher the understanding and skill level of a player, the greater likelihood that what they have to offer will be correct and useful for other players.
And again, majority rules here: if someone offers something that doesn't work, it will naturally either be ignored or (hopefully) will receive an explanation as to why it doesn't work or isn't the case.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Infinite's boss theme sounds oddly familiar...
Been waiting for Siiva's rips. Does not disappoint!

On another note, I finally forced myself to finish Forces. My opinion hasn't changed all that much, but I think I finally get what a lot of people have been saying when they mention that the game has 'promise.' Classic, modern, and OC all have at least a few stages that reflect the best of what they had to offer.
The problem: if I had to pick the stages that really felt like the best (out of 30), I don't think I'd get further than one hand's worth of numbers.
On top of that I became incredibly furious with the character physics in later stages. I found that for OC and Classic precise platforming is, more often than not, frustrating even when taking it slow. OC's specific jump physics were a pain.
Modern had so few sincere platforming segments that between mashing jump and boost I finished the stage before I knew it.

I look at Christian Whitehead who wrote modern code for the game physics in Mania by watching the frame-by-frame Machine code physics from Sonic 1, and it really make me wonder: Does Sega/Sonic Team have that same passion for the series?
I really hope that with the massive success of Mania and the middling success of Forces the crew at Sega might get something positive out of this so that they do better for the next game. They can do it, I've seen em do it! We just have to wait.
Hopefully not 4 more years.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
First time I showed Silva to my friends we spent 4 hours pouring through his rips just to see what our favorite tracks sounded like. I think my friend's favorite is still one of the kazoo'd themes from FF7.
The one that gets me everytime is Live & Learn where the pitch on the word 'more' keeps rising for the whole song. Its also the same song that I had to learn to not accidentally bump the mute button in class.
Legit though, there are plenty of unironically good tracks in his channel.

Top Bottom