• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the vocals. Maybe it will grow on me, but the song has some sudden high pitches that just don't sound quite right.
Well, it certainly won't be a song to sing for karaoke, that's for sure.
No problem's with the music though. Seems great so far.

EDIT: I don't wanna double post, so I'll just put this here.
Did we just get a patch? My System just updated and it updated something for Smash immediately after.
EDIT 2: Yup. 1.1.7, but replays are safe. Nothing new, I guess?

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You guys look like you could use a pick me up. How about some Jet Set Radio music

:135:

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Apart from the obvious "edgy" memes, I actually quiet like Infinite. His theme song I'm on the fence about. It suits his character, but I am often back and forth with these, for a lack of a better word, edgy songs.

But his voice. Dam, i think that is my favourite part. It makes him very menacing without him actually forcing it. Very very nice imo.

Also here's a cool theory about the plot of Forces i found
https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/6ol144/a_random_theory_about_forces/

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I feel like Infinite is going to be yet ANOTHER ally of Eggman that's gonna betray Eggman in the end and then the final boss is gonna be a buffed version of Infinite.

Or he's going to have a true identity voiced by or portraying Ryan Drummond. IDK it just seems like a logical thing to me :p

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I kiiiiiiiiiiiinda want this game's plot to be a dissection of fanfiction tropes in general...

But hoping for that is probably giving Sonic Team too much credit.

(And it was my idea first, so HSSSSS)

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I actually would really like that. So far the premise for Sonic Forces has me really perplexed, but playing it from that angle would make sense of some of the design choices being made.
The Infinity character seems to be purposefully unecessarily edgy. I'm not sure what to make of it.
¯\_( ' ~ ' )_/¯

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I actually would really like that. So far the premise for Sonic Forces has me really perplexed, but playing it from that angle would make sense of some of the design choices being made.
It also makes sense as to why Infinite is all glitchy and stuff.

The Infinity character seems to be purposefully unecessarily edgy. I'm not sure what to make of it.
¯\_( ' ~ ' )_/¯
It's so Sega can BLEED YOU DRY of your money

Last edited:

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
Am I the only one who likes the song unironically? I'm always a sucker for numetal and I thought the song is legit good.

Even though it's obviously a self-parody of the "edgy" era of Sonic.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
That style of music isn't quite my thing, so my opinion on it would be pretty biased. It seems alright for what it is, I think.
My thing is, aside from some obvious games (i.e. Shadow the Hedgehog), I just feel like there really hasn't been the level of 'edge' to Sonic that Sega seems to be trying to make fun of. Sure, Sonic may have an 'edgy' moment here and their, but Sonic's always been more of an 'has an attitude' type of character than a full on 'edgy' character.
Maybe some see both of those types as being the same, but when you compare other 'edgy' characters to Sonic, there's a significant difference.
Try comparing Sonic to characters like Cloud, Reaper, Conker, or even just compare him to Shadow. The differences in attitude are significant.
So I dunno. It just feels a bit out of place.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Am I the only one who likes the song unironically? I'm always a sucker for numetal and I thought the song is legit good.

Even though it's obviously a self-parody of the "edgy" era of Sonic.
I sort of on the fence of it. I mean it is a good song, but it's just not really my type of music. But a lot of people have said this is very reminiscent of Linkin Park music and if you like that type of music, all the more for you.

Also Sytal Sytal , while i don't know if this is correct, i'd personally describe Sonic (himself) as less edgy and more angsty.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
while i don't know if this is correct, i'd personally describe Sonic (himself) as less edgy and more angsty.

I mean, I say 'edge' feels outta place but angst feels REALLY outta place here.
Shadow fits the angst bill better than Sonic does, for sure.
So uhhh...I mean... got any references to help push your point there?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I mean, I say 'edge' feels outta place but angst feels REALLY outta place here.
Shadow fits the angst bill better than Sonic does, for sure.
So uhhh...I mean... got any references to help push your point there?
Well I mean... Sonic kind of has a "No ****s given" kind of attitude that some angsty teens have...

But then again so does Shadow but for complete different reasons.

It's like Sonic and Shadow and two versions of the same kind of edge almost. Sonic is the skateboard kid "too cool for school" edgy and Shadow is the emo dark and despair "life has no meaning" edgy.

I think?

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
See, I just think 'angst' is the wrong word to use here. That word might be used a bit more widely nowadays to explain facets of different character stereotypes, but it doesn't fit Sonic's given personality much at all.
'Angsty' people are typically called as such because of negative views or worries that they frequently express(that's actually what angst is; feelings of anxiety, dread, or concern).
Sonic's attitude in the majority of his games infer that his character is supposed to be one with a heart of gold and an impatient prankster-like speedster feel to it.
I suppose that may be a pretty subjective observation, but from Sonic 1 to Sonic Heroes, that's pretty much how Sega sold him. The 'heart of gold' shows up in his theme song, his quick paced abilities tie into his impatience, and his use of levity and his taunting attitude towards his enemies infers a playful personality.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
That's a really good away to put it. Better than anything i could have come up with.

To be honest, I found at times that all Speedster can seem to have the same sort of attitude. Two big ones being the Flash and Sonic, who can both be very cocky towards their enemies and have been know for some level of impatience. However, that likeness between the two can vary depending on the written, but (at least Barry Allen) comes for more geeky and shy where as sonic, while has a heart of gold and tries his best to save people, can be a bit jerkish at times due to his impatience and teasing nature. But he means it in good faith.

I think Jason Griffith's Sonic is probably one of the best portals of Sonic imo. Cause while he does like to joke around a lot and tease people, he doesn't do it to the extent where it becomes super cheesy and "try to be cool" that Ryan sometimes get and Jason manges to balance that brashness with a lot of the good heart nature of Sonic (biggest example of this is his relationship with Chip in Unleashed)

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I think Ryan Drummond was given a rough time on SA because of the writing, but SA2 is where his energy really shone. There's a reason that so many Sonic fans prefer him.
The current VA seems to be doing a good job though.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Roger "Ezio Auditore" Craig "Chris Redfield" Smith wasn't my first choice for Sonic's VA, but I gotta admit he really nails the character's tone and his voice has grown on me. Give him some good writing and direction and he may just be the best Sonic yet.

Granted, Adventure 2 was my first Sonic game, so of course I'm biased for Ryan Drummond. =P

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I think Ryan Drummond was given a rough time on SA because of the writing, but SA2 is where his energy really shone. There's a reason that so many Sonic fans prefer him.
The current VA seems to be doing a good job though.
Oh no yeah definitely the writing can have a lot to do with how a voice is received. Since my only Experience with Ryan is with SA1, i am most used to the more cheesy lines and iffy sound editing the game has. But i will admit he as some pretty cool lines ("That was cool!").

For me the Voice acting goes Jason>Ryan>Craig.

Roger "Ezio Auditore" Craig "Chris Redfield" Smith wasn't my first choice for Sonic's VA, but I gotta admit he really nails the character's tone and his voice has grown on me. Give him some good writing and direction and he may just be the best Sonic yet.
He definitly has improved over the years with better written. but honestly, i think his (for some reason) just suits the Sonic Boom TV series a lot more then he main stream sonic. Grant it, we really haven't do much serious story stuff with Sonic so we'll have to wait to see how he goes in Forces.

Granted, Adventure 2 was my first Sonic game, so of course I'm biased for Ryan Drummond. =P
I pretty much the same but with Jason. I grew up watching Sonic X and my first Sonic game was Sonic Rush so I've always just loved his voice more.

Also...
YOU'RE TOO SLOOOOOOW!!! :sonic:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
That's great and all, but I'm just gonna miss the fact that the Sonic Megadrive specials won't have a conclusion. I really like that series. I was looking forward to Overdrive.
Archie had a good run though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I was honestly surprised at how great this crossover was. I'm not familiar with modern Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics (did not realize that Shredder and Krang are enemies now), but we got plenty of great (and at times, surprisingly heartfelt) moments with all of the cast.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Do you know what the name of this comic is? i've been looking to read it for some time

That's great and all, but I'm just gonna miss the fact that the Sonic Megadrive specials won't have a conclusion. I really like that series. I was looking forward to Overdrive.
Archie had a good run though.
Seriously? Aw that sucks, I really liked those comics. Especially the artstyle :(

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you know what the name of this comic is? i've been looking to read it for some time
It's simply called Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The comic's been released in hardcover, and this is what the cover looks like:

It also gives us moments like these:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Just found it and read it.

That was pretty ****ing awesome. Like sad Casey didn't get much limelight.

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
Look random For Glory player, I know I dual main Sonic and Cloud, I get that those two are well known for being 'cancer', but you don't need to tell me to 'DIE IRL' because I use a character and you're salty.

For Glory really hasn't been that bad for me recently, in fact most people who play now are actually good. But some still hide around it seems. Use Anther's kids.

Last edited:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Just a few short days, and Sonic Mania will be released to the public. My excitement is palpable.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hard to believe Sonic Mania is either out already or will be coming out in a few hours, depending on where you live.

I'm definitely going to pick it up as soon as possible; while I didn't grow up with a Genesis (the closest I got was this, and the Sonic CD in that pack didn't even work, though it was a great collection), Sonic games have generally been a lot of fun, and this looks like a colossal labour of love and really creative to boot.

Also, it has me hoping that Sega will release games on the Virtual Console (or whatever the Switch's equivalent to that is) once that is released. I'd love to play something like Gunstar Heroes, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, or any number of Dreamcast games on the go!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The fourth level seems like a difficulty spike to me. While it's great to hear
Flying Battery Zone's
theme again, it seems like there's a lot more bottomless pits, instant deaths by crushing, and running into enemies/obstacles unpredictably. Hopefully this doesn't continue with later levels.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Mania is great. I just spent the last 5 hours getting consistently blown away by this game.
All the little features are great!
My favorite so far has to be
The & Knuckles mode, where Knuckles follows you instead of Tails.

Top Bottom