• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Let downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
actually i'm just gonna play it in japanese once i get used to the menus but if you want a change call nintendo tht's what i'm doing

SonicMario

Smash Master
@Smashbro29: hahaha you knew I would say it again if you said about that. That's so funny.

@redpheonix526: Yes Ryan was better for the actor, but what can we do? He's already the voice for Brawl. Besides, the voice =/= (does not equal) the character.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
The skies above and the shelter (dorm) at Indiana
@SonicMario: except in the 4Kids anime, where the VA's put their personalities in the character. I guess the 4Kids thing that bothers me is their VA for Tails being cast, because Tails sounded older in SA2B than Sonic Riders, for example. It is just what bugs me most, they can't ever set Tails' voice right.

oh, and that last post was toward nickmizzet

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
eggman's 4kids VA was good and blaze is pretty good other than that they screwed up big time

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
yes it does 4kids censored shadow the hedgehog they made sega change the blood from red to green so

SonicMario

Smash Master
Shadow the Hedgehog should have been Teen though. Not even I would want 10 year old saying "D***" everytime they get hurt like Shadow.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
It's not. 4Kids ruins shows, which is why I stopped watching their botched versions of everything. I mean, even red blood will still earn the games and shows the same rating for parental control.

And did you hear that supposedly whoever's in charge of 4Kids said that he'd never seen the Sonic X anime or played any of the games before buying the licensing rights to redub it? Probably part of the reason why 4Kids destroys shows: they don't care.

Well, looks like we're sliding off topic again...

Yellow Legend

Smash Rookie
His letdowns imo is that he cant do anything but spin, his voice actor's not that great, and he got sh*tgamed in the new gen Sonic.

The spinning's classical but Shadow kept his Chaos Control and his Chaos Spear after SA2B and I haven't seen Sonic use any of his SA2B moves too much.

I think his voice actor has his good times so as long as he doesnt screw up brawl I'll be happy.

In new gen Sonic, he lost to Silver twice and he even got killed by Mephiles. Sure it was a nice twist that he died but I personally didnt like seeing my favorite blue hedgehog getting killed as part of a storyline. He also failed to keep his genie friend alive in SatSR. Even though all these failures were fixed except for maybe losing to Silver, it still happened.

I never actually played any Sonic game after Riders(which was decent) so I cant complain on gameplay.
I still think Sonic's cool and all but he could be a lot better.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
His letdowns imo is that he cant do anything but spin, his voice actor's not that great, and he got sh*tgamed in the new gen Sonic.

The spinning's classical but Shadow kept his Chaos Control and his Chaos Spear after SA2B and I haven't seen Sonic use any of his SA2B moves too much.

I think his voice actor has his good times so as long as he doesnt screw up brawl I'll be happy.

In new gen Sonic, he lost to Silver twice and he even got killed by Mephiles. Sure it was a nice twist that he died but I personally didnt like seeing my favorite blue hedgehog getting killed as part of a storyline. He also failed to keep his genie friend alive in SatSR. Even though all these failures were fixed except for maybe losing to Silver, it still happened.

I never actually played any Sonic game after Riders(which was decent) so I cant complain on gameplay.
I still think Sonic's cool and all but he could be a lot better.
Little tip: read the sticky on the Sonic character forum and tell me what you think about the moves. Yeah, so it's just spinning, but he has unique attacks and not one of the attacks is exactly like another.

As for the SA2B moves, Chaos Control was one of Shadow's trademarks, and it makes sense to me that Sonic's counterpart (Time Stop) doesn't really compare. I'll also say the same about Sonic Wind, just not comparable to Chaos Spear in terms of signature moves to the character.

Yeah, he can be a lot better, though, if more 3D Sonic games come out (which they probably will.)

hurd86

Smash Rookie
They are just teasing us with the useless updates next thing you know they're gonna say peach is gonna be in it or fox has a gun DUH!!!!!

gamer8

Smash Lord
I'm let down that Jason Griffith is voicing sonic, it's official:

Thanks, Alex. I appriciate it. Problem is, Sega
is not hiring me back. I've asked right along
with the Sonic community to be Sonic's voice
again, but they don't seem to be interested. They
also tell me voice-recording for BRAWL was
completed MONTHS ago. So it's far too late for
Brawl anyway, I'm afraid.

~Ryan

I got this E-mail response today from Ryan Drummond.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
4Kids is the cancer of anime.. I hope a DBZ otaku sets their offices on fire..

I completely HATED what they did to Sonic X (specially 3rd season)

Why do they even change the soundtrack? The ruin the mood and depth of the original BGMs, to give them Nickelodeonesque cartoon BGMs instead.. I hope NOA keeps those ******* at bay.

I prefer they only recorded things such as "Woo hoo!" "Alright!" "Yeah!" and nothing else for Brawl.
"Sonic's my name, speed's my game!" ... I hope that isn't a taunt.. I hope this line isn't even releasedin the final verision... It's so corny it's gonna affect my gameplay.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
Well, there's the 'Too Slow' thing that Sakurai mentioned in the taunting update...

I do wonder why they change the soundtrack, though. Ever listen to Episode 38 in Japanese (youtube it, even if you only get a three minute scene.)? 4Kids actually cut out Live and Learn (by Crush 40), even though the song is IN ENGLISH!!!!! Want to explain that?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I watched Sonic X season 1 and 2 (episodes 1 through 52) in Japanese with English subtitles.
And season 3 (53 through 78) in Japanese with chinese subtitles (trust me... this was a whole lot better than 4kids...)

So I did get to listen to Live and Learn (which I found AWESOME, even though I had never played SA2B).

But then, after watching all 3 seasons in their native language.. I watched with horror what 4Kids did to Sonic X.... It all felt like one big LIE. A ripoff.. an insult to both Sonic and anime fans..

My ONLY guess for them having replaced the BGM is, because they had to take the voices down, the music came out along with the voices... so they had to add new music... But then again, there's always something called an OST... and Live and Learn was a no brainer.. It even appeared in the game.

Ever thought how Pokemon would've been like without them? I get the feeling it would've been a greater show..

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
Exactly my point. 4kids destroys anime for no reason, which is why I stopped watching the English dubs. shinhed-echi, do you have a link to where i can either buy the Japanese DVD (english sub) version of Sonic X or links to it on the internet? I can't seem to find many episodes.

But getting back on topic, the 4Kids anime is a big Sonic Letdown, given all that he had the potential to be in the anime (from what I've seen of the japanese)

Cerulean_Charizard

Smash Cadet
Urgh, Sonic's new voice makes him sound like a five year old cowboy. Still not as bad as what happened to some of the other characters' voices but still bad. 4kids is really bad yes, but I didn't like the Sonic Adventure 1/2 adaptation episodes of Sonic X anyway, it just kind of felt to me that they didn't need adaptations since most people watching the anime in the first place and they managed to ruin all my favourite scenes in SA2. A lot of the episodes were quite good though.

Anyway... *Spoiler warning ahead*

The biggest Sonic let-down for me was the 360 game. I never played it, but it got terrible reviews and the story wasn't anywhere near as good as I hoped after watching the cut scenes on the internet. I really liked Shadow's story but the Sonic and Elise thing creeped me out and Silver just annoyed the hell out of me. Plus the last story was silly. Sonic dies? Elise brings him back to life by giving him a kiss? The whole game never happened? What the hell?

Back into the realms of Brawl, Sonic hasn't been a let down to me at all. I like the mixture of old and new variety of spins and springs, the only thing bad is what people have mentioned before, the 4kids voice.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Exactly my point. 4kids destroys anime for no reason, which is why I stopped watching the English dubs. shinhed-echi, do you have a link to where i can either buy the Japanese DVD (english sub) version of Sonic X or links to it on the internet? I can't seem to find many episodes.

But getting back on topic, the 4Kids anime is a big Sonic Letdown, given all that he had the potential to be in the anime (from what I've seen of the japh.anese)
I uh.. downloaded the torrents last year. :p I forgot where I found them (I think Minanova.org) There are no Season 3 episodes in japanese anymore.. Nicknyte put them down as soon as 4Retards bought the rights in the US. I was lucky to get them on time.. (with Chinese subtitles) The other option was French..

--

The whole game never happened? I HATE that! I mean why would you put so much effort, into a crappy game, only to be rewarded by knowing it never really happened?

Oh well, guess that's why I'll never PLAY it. :p

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
I uh.. downloaded the torrents last year. :p I forgot where I found them (I think Minanova.org) There are no Season 3 episodes in japanese anymore.. Nicknyte put them down as soon as 4Retards bought the rights in the US. I was lucky to get them on time.. (with Chinese subtitles) The other option was French..

--

The whole game never happened? I HATE that! I mean why would you put so much effort, into a crappy game, only to be rewarded by knowing it never really happened?

Oh well, guess that's why I'll never PLAY it. :p
Oh well, thanks anyway. I'll definitely take a look when I can. I haven't played Sonic 360 (because I don't have an Xbox), but now I probably won't.

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
I won't ever play it. It doesn't seem any good. According to the glitchs in the game, it makes the game down right annoying. The game doesn't have good controls either, and sometimes it's unplayable, since most of the time you should leave the controller alone, sometimes doing so will make you die, expeicially in Sonic's case.

Silver's part is almost ok, but still isn't good enough to make up for the rest of the game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
3/4 of the time I spent on that game, I hated the controls.. Maybe it wasn't the control itself, but the fact that you controlled Sonic a'la Special Stage all the time..

Later, when you start upgrading Sonic's skills and maneuverability, you realize the controls are better than you thought. When I realized this, I started enjoying the game. :) (unfortunatley, it took me a big while to get used to the controls)

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
It's a love it or hate it game. They tried to do away with all the crazy deaths people complain about all the time, by essentially putting Sonic on rails. It just brings up new problems though. Most of the beginning of the game is boring and slow because you have to "power up" Sonic. You'll constantly miss things you need to get and you'll have to walk backwards to get them, which is one of the most annoying things. Probably the most annoying thing is the awkward goals you have to complete on a lot of the stages though. It really just doesn't feel like much of a Sonic game for the most part.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
SSR was hard to control? It was easy for me, I had no problems with the controls what so ever. Even on the first day I got it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There were some ridiculous missions out there.. Luckily you can CHOOSE your missions this time...

I remember one of the worst missions was finding 5 dinosaur eggs (Yoshi's Egg was among them, lol) Seriously, Sonic isn't about search the whole level for 5 special somethings... I always hated those stages involving finding something.. it's downright stupid.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Definitely rent it. You should have no problem beating it within that time either. The main reason i bought it was because it came with the cool wrist band thing.

Dewd

Smash Rookie
I was planning on getting this game but I didnt have a wii at the time. thank god I didnt cuz I heard this game was bad. They should bring back a SA2B like game.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
There were some ridiculous missions out there.. Luckily you can CHOOSE your missions this time...

I remember one of the worst missions was finding 5 dinosaur eggs (Yoshi's Egg was among them, lol) Seriously, Sonic isn't about search the whole level for 5 special somethings... I always hated those stages involving finding something.. it's downright stupid.

I failed that mission so many times...
You need luck in order to get a gold medal there. >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom