• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic is the best at mixing it up right? Then here's a thought

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I love how everyone calls doing footstools an accident. Not for me, I'm starting to do those things purposefully. How about mixing that into your Sonic's game.

Think about it, we have alot of options to go into a footstool. That and we can chase for free. Experiment more with this, in all aspects. With this under our belt, who knows what shenanigans we Sonic's can do or think of :).

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Ahh yees, footstools. I'd decided to do those a while ago. Those things are awesome, so many things can be done, but in a way, they cant either. Its highly situational, and depends on the other player's reactions mostly.

I think the most common one is the one KID hates :(
Spincharge to footstool. Now we went over this saying that its highly situational. The other player can DI and they'll be too far away for a footstool. And you have to be precise, because sometimes the jump will send them the opposite way. But, it can be possible to link these together. (once again, depending on the players reactions) ASC can lead to footstools too at lower percents.

Side B is much more easier. Once the move connects during the initial jump, a footstool can happen on impact. So many things can be done at that point that the footstool sends them to the ground. i'll let you all decide that.

Then there are the normal footstools that are done. Honestly, i dont see these occurring too often unless you're intent on trying to really do it. Recovery wise, those who try to camp my landings usually get the footstool and i safely can get back onstage.

If this is what you're talking about, its pretty awesome. But if it isnt, which ones are you talking about?

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Ahh yees, footstools. I'd decided to do those a while ago. Those things are awesome, so many things can be done, but in a way, they cant either. Its highly situational, and depends on the other player's reactions mostly.

I think the most common one is the one KID hates :(
Spincharge to footstool. Now we went over this saying that its highly situational. The other player can DI and they'll be too far away for a footstool. And you have to be precise, because sometimes the jump will send them the opposite way. But, it can be possible to link these together. (once again, depending on the players reactions) ASC can lead to footstools too at lower percents.

Side B is much more easier. Once the move connects during the initial jump, a footstool can happen on impact. So many things can be done at that point that the footstool sends them to the ground. i'll let you all decide that.

Then there are the normal footstools that are done. Honestly, i dont see these occurring too often unless you're intent on trying to really do it. Recovery wise, those who try to camp my landings usually get the footstool and i safely can get back onstage.

If this is what you're talking about, its pretty awesome. But if it isnt, which ones are you talking about?
Yup, this is what I'm saying. We should all embrace the footstool mechanic. I'm glad you are learning how to use it too. There are other ways, like a tool for punishing at times. Sonic shouldn't put this to waste, he's one of the characters (if not the best) that can use this well. Also, it could make for a surprise edgeguarding tool. I also have this as one of my options while I Spinshot.

Footstools can also save you from getting pressured from underneath (Very good at avoiding USmashes), what I mean is that you can footstool hitboxes it seems. I did this on Usmashes and Uairs (But I'm sure you Brawl players knew this).

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Why in the world would you punish with a footstool? :laugh:

But yeah, I do lots of footstool shenanigans on accident.

SDR to footstool in teams is pretty **** awesome.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Yeah footstools are legit i think some Sonics here have been using them just fine. Sure ppl can DI out but close range ASC, or side b gets u virtually guaranteed footstools. In any case if u get the footstool FF a spincharge can net you another footstool, a nice tech chase ASC or SDR combo,some heavies a ff aerial or even allow simple shield pressure if the opponent can block in time. KID always states a person can just wait and attack on reaction to sonic. Personally i think that makes no sense because if they wait that puts sonic in a BETTER position to tech chase and they have to get up eventually.

Given where the footstool is done, you could have some nice options. Lastly foostool > dair is nice too. it places ur opponent into the air enabling u to **** with uairs. Even grounded opponents, footstooling to dair gives us a free juggle situation. Oh and you can block footstools so if ppl for instance block ur fair and u buffer jump u can footstool>dair if they dont react fast enough. Otherwise ur getting punished anyways if they do lol. Footstooling to recover is amazing too and versus quite a bit of moves, if u are DI away from ur opponent and they attempt to hyphen or DAC usmash u then a footstool gets u out of such situations. Learning to regular foostool on purpose has actually been working for me for awhile now too given our speed. Bigger characters can be rushed down and footstooled during their recoveries very easily or just if they are recovering only to launch them back up with a dair. Footstool is obviously fast, us being the fastest character in the game on ground and air (with spinshot) we can apply them more that others. Its no saviour of Sonic (see: side b's invincibility frames; shameless plug) but it is more useful then ppl give credit for. Besides figuring out where ppl will DI isnt impossible. there are clues given their position on stage. Plus footstool can be relatively safe once ur close to your opponent. If they attack u foostool, DI away and reset to neutral. If they dont u footstool and get a potential tech chase/dair/ff aerial/ or any cross up shenanigans u might use. We get footstools easier than most characters and we have some few options to take advantage of it. Why NOT use it time to time?

Screw my whole post. Learn how to side-b hop correctly, so u can deny dumb priority hogging moves. Thats far more useful. True story.

Top Bottom