• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sonic.... ****ing disgusting

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
this is flat out unwinnable the clay pigeon may as well not even exist in this matchup.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I used to hate playing against Sonic, but you really just need to get used to his speed. His approach options aren't as varied as they seem, just don't give him free openings by using your projectiles carelessly.

Just learn the timing to grab him out of spindash, and the differences between his side-b and down-b, and he shouldn't be that tough anymore.

Though he'll always be incredibly annoying. (But to be fair we're playing Duck Hunt Duo so we're probably even more annoying if we're playing well.)

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Remember that clay pigeon can still be shot when it's on the ground, I've found it useful against Sonic as a trap, with it being follow up by a Gunman shot, and then pretty much any follow-up. Also as Jax said, DHD's grab is good against characters like Sonic, I use it to either up-throw/down-throw in to an aerial combo or side-throw to put space between me and the other character, where pretty much any special can be used (excluding up-special, that would be a bad idea)

It is a difficult match-up, if there are two players of the exact same skill-level playing Sonic vs DHD, Sonic would likely win, but it's not unwinnable.

Viking

Smash Rookie
Its definitely not unwinnable lol. You have just have to take control of the speed of the match and don't let sonics speed get to you.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Sonic is arguably one of the worst characters in the game. Practice makes perfect. :tired:

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
my sonic problem is starting to become widespread. any moron in for glory mode now know that if you lose to DHD you just pick sonic to counter me. I just have to hope they do not know what they are doing to win.

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
Not unwinnable, but the odds sure as hell are stacked against ya, It's Rare to hit with clay pigeons, but I suggest using the barrel whenever possible, It does a pretty good job of getting him down. I've 2 Stocked sonic as Duck Hunt Before, was NOT easy, but I did it. You half to counter his speed will your utilities, which isn't incredibly easy, but it's manageable.

Note: Many other strategies may be better than mine.

Last edited:

alonecuzzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2422-6131
I'm having the same problems. He's just too damn fast and my reaction time is slow. I'm even having trouble with level 9 sonic.

I did beat one online last night though after 8 losses... I guess practice makes perfect.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
I'm having the same problems. He's just too damn fast and my reaction time is slow. I'm even having trouble with level 9 sonic.

I did beat one online last night though after 8 losses... I guess practice makes perfect.
wow! you're lucky the sonic didn't t-bag and leave after 2 matches.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
ha yea, i'm pretty bad... it might be fun for them to kick my ***, so double digit losses are pretty common for me...
dont worry dude. since duck hunt isnt particularly a bad character all it takes is practice. duck hunt has a really high skill ceiling.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
dont worry dude. since duck hunt isnt particularly a bad character all it takes is practice. duck hunt has a really high skill ceiling.
Yeah, I don't really mind losing with DHD, as I'll just learn from it which is very necessary on them. Although I feel like not a lot of people want to play against DHD, as everyone leaves after 2 or 3 games.

alonecuzzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2422-6131
Yeah, I don't really mind losing with DHD, as I'll just learn from it which is very necessary on them. Although I feel like not a lot of people want to play against DHD, as everyone leaves after 2 or 3 games.
people hang around for me... haha, i think they want to pad their win numbers

alonecuzzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2422-6131
I've been playing against the computer level 9 just to get a general feel for sonic. I lose consistently, but I'm able to steal a win here and there. Here's a match that I just played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1eVtThkF3c

Any critiques?

Thx

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Your cans beat out his approach options if he's to careless with his spin attacking. If he goes for the aerial approach, I found it surprisingly well to use a Gunman in the air, which leads to the inevitable air dodge so you have a few frames of time to snap a Uair on him.
I just found it works *shrug*

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
this is a hard matchup to get used to, but its really not that tough.
use the can to set traps/space and the clay pidgeons to force him to move.
use the gunmen to force movement too.
if he gets close smash him, and if he b spams just roll away, or jump off to get him away from the land.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Coming from someone who has held off from playing this game until the Wii U release, it's pretty clear that Zoney characters are much more pronounced in this game. With Toon Link and Duck Hunt Dog being the kings of this genre of fighter. Their natural counter are quick moving opponents such as Fox, Captain Falcon, and of course Sonic. They can get in past the projectile barrage and give characters like DHD nightmares.

Not a lot of advice to give, though I'd suggest mixing midrange into your game rather then just long range. Normally you'd like to keep as much as a stage's distance with DHD, but giving these speedy characters an entire stage's length to juke you as they approach is what they're planning to do.

Top Bottom