• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Gameplay - Hitaku Style *Three new videos*

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Nothing special, just me and a friend recording two of our matches today. My video recorder seems to not be recording sound atm so I threw in some music so you had something to listen to while you watch it. =P

When I first got this game I was planning to be maining Sonic...until I played as him. Being that he had so many weaknesses I just left him alone and moved on to Toon Link. Well, that changed today as I decided to give him another go. My impression of Sonic is simple...he needs more priority. His B set pretty much sucks...and he is very hard to get used to. That being said however, I love him and think he is really fun to play.

New Videos:

Sonic (Hitaku) vs Luigi (HMW) 1:
http://blip.tv/file/822897

Wolf (Hitaku) vs Luigi (HMW) 2:
http://blip.tv/file/822958

Sonic (Hitaku) vs Luigi (HMW) 3:
http://blip.tv/file/823034

Old Videos:

Sonic (Hitaku) vs Olimar (Tish) 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn1w8uTJihk

Sonic (Hitaku) vs Olimar (Tish) 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2RENkEx-gk&feature=related

Sonic (Hitaku) vs Olimar (Tish) 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUHVv7JhnAI

Sonic (Hitaku) vs Olimar (Tish) 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuGhMO3ZrGY

Edit: With my capture card not working I had to wait for a tournament to happen before I could upload anymore. Sadly it's just three videos, but I hope you enjoy.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Your combo game is superior to mine, I should be taking lessons from you.

But one thing though--you should be chasing Olimar and trying to edgehog him, and not just edgeguard. Sonic lacks kill moves but he's got enough airtime to where you can feasibly chase him off for the KO. There's one video where Sonic fair'd somebody into oblivion. I couldn't replicate it exactly but I did manage to KO somebody using a similiar tactic (fair them until they waste the second jump, then edgehog.)

Napilopez

Smash Lord
That was impressive Hitaku, I can't really give advice since I haven't played. Kuja's advice makes sense though, and might I advise using the spring in combo with Uair? Since the spring goes so high, you can knock them upwards, pursue them with upB and then Uair them into oblivion. I think this would also help againt projectiles as they are horizontal based rather than vertical. It seems like an effective killing method from other vids I've seen.

But these are just ideas and observations, I have no experience at all :p

But anyways, very impressive play, I could see why you could have trouble with Olimar since he's pretty much all projectile based, but clearly you handled him well.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Your combo game is superior to mine, I should be taking lessons from you.

But one thing though--you should be chasing Olimar and trying to edgehog him, and not just edgeguard. Sonic lacks kill moves but he's got enough airtime to where you can feasibly chase him off for the KO. There's one video where Sonic fair'd somebody into oblivion. I couldn't replicate it exactly but I did manage to KO somebody using a similiar tactic (fair them until they waste the second jump, then edgehog.)
I completely agree with this, I should be going after Olimar more when off the edge. Once I get better at timing his bairs I think I will use more of those though. Olimar in particular (and I'm sure lots of other characters with good fairs) can out prioritize my fair with his while the bair will cut through. When you said " Sonic fair'd somebody into oblivion", where you implying that it has a sweet spot? Thats not something that I've noticed before, but it would be cool. Anyhow, thanks for critiquing. As I play more I will probably upload some more videos.

I advise using the spring in combo with Uair? Since the spring goes so high, you can knock them upwards, pursue them with upB and then Uair them into oblivion
From my personal experience it gets air dodged and then I get faired lol. The spring is very predictable so once they hear it they either can start DI'ing away or they can air dodge if they have the timing down. I agree though that it can't hurt to throw in every now and then.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
they were definitely some good matches. some of the combos u were doing were quite nice. i think u just need to be more aggressive. sonic can camp nice with his speed, but i feel his speed can also keep u locked onto ur opponent close enough that u can overwhelm them without them getting to be able to do something. against olimar, try to kill off his pikmin, and not let him pluck anymore since hes useless without em.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
they were definitely some good matches. some of the combos u were doing were quite nice. i think u just need to be more aggressive. sonic can camp nice with his speed, but i feel his speed can also keep u locked onto ur opponent close enough that u can overwhelm them without them getting to be able to do something. against olimar, try to kill off his pikmin, and not let him pluck anymore since hes useless without em.
I think that keeping pressure if a must like you said, but its a little hard with Olimar in particular. His smash attacks come out very fast compared to mine and he seems to have priority vs close to anything in my move pool. I can spot dodge one of his and before I can land anything but a tilt he can throw out another one. I think thats what I need to do though when keeping that pressure on him, tilt more rather then smash. Trying to kill off the Pikmin in specific is hard heh, even if I keep pressure up he can throw out armor frames to keep him grounded (at least long enough for a few Pikmin). I usually do try to keep pressure on him though when he gets low.

By fair into oblivion, it was a video posted on these forums actually. Somebody set up Sonic against Bowser (big target I know, but illustrates the point) and fair'd, jumping after him and continuing to fair until the hit KO'd. It's in here starting at 0:17

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=kvWcPzbCsDU
Interesting, I think I will try that out a little. Thanks for sharing.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
By fair into oblivion, it was a video posted on these forums actually. Somebody set up Sonic against Bowser (big target I know, but illustrates the point) and fair'd, jumping after him and continuing to fair until the hit KO'd. It's in here starting at 0:17

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=kvWcPzbCsDU
iv been trying that in so many matches and i cant seem to do it. i havnt tried against a comp, only real ppl. it had to have been something about doing it on a comp. or maybe cause it was bowser lol

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
iv been trying that in so many matches and i cant seem to do it. i havnt tried against a comp, only real ppl. it had to have been something about doing it on a comp. or maybe cause it was bowser lol
I've never been able to do it as it was shown in the video (aka off the ledge). The closest I have come was in the end of my third video, when I hit him off stage.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Huh. The fair chase is unreliable then (Can't call it useless because it HAS worked, the success rate is too **** small).

I DID like how you chased into the sky with up B/uair. I noticed Olimar had difficulty dealing with you from above and below, which is why you managed to spam your otherwise punishable dair on him.

Chasing is still the name of the game with Sonic, it's just that the initial strategies I saw don't quite work.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Huh. The fair chase is unreliable then.
I would be willing to say that its only unreliable due to the amount of time we have had to practice. You really need to tip the fair in order for it to send them forward.

Chasing is still the name of the game with Sonic, it's just that the initial strategies I saw don't quite work.
Yeah, that really is the name of the game. The only issue with keeping pressure up is that Sonic's priority sucks so bad. Its really hard to stay in control of the situation all the time with him.

Top Bottom