• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic can wavedash... kinda.

Johnnyboy

Smash Journeyman
Rotterdam, the Netherlands, Europe, Earth
I'm not sure if this is already known, but I couldn't find any topics about this.

While messing around on Pokemon Stadium 1, I accidentally did a motion with Sonic that looked like a wavedash.
What you do, is spindash towards an upward slope and jump the moment just before you start moving up the slope.
The spindash will be cancelled and Sonic will change into his neutral standing animation and continues sliding up the slope.

It's not really that great, but on certain stages (GHZ, Yoshi's Island, PS1) it could be a useful mindgame.

Shadowlyger

Smash Cadet
That's neat. Considering his stage is a big slope, that'd easily be abused. Nice find.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
No stage with an upwards slope will be "Neutral", except possibly PS1, and that one only has a useable slope occasionally. This technique is so limited in use, it's not of interest to anyone.

Don't double post.

Johnnyboy

Smash Journeyman
Basically, you jump the exact moment you land with the pop from his side-b? Did you try it out with flat surfaces? That would be awesome if it worked.
You need to hit the slope with the initial frames of the jump from the down-B or the jump from the side-B after the initial hop.

It doesn't work on flat surfaces because there's nothing to cancel his jump against and as far as i can tell you can't do this on platforms because he either loses to much momentum from the jump or the angle from the jump doesn't set him up for the slide.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
it's not really like a wavedash.. I mean... it doesn't have a whole lot of application... but landing on a slope causes you to do a downslope-type wavedash ... you know what?

no it doesn't... it causes you to slide with your momentum.... nothing like a wavedash... it's just practical physics. (does my disdain for wavedashing as a legitimate technique come across?) The word wavedashing is getting thrown around too much in brawl since the wavedash doesn't even exist in the game... just a result of what's wrong with melee I guess.

Zellsfalco

Smash Apprentice
That would not be anywhere near being compared to another wavedash. it sounds pretty cool to see sonic sliding along with a cancel of his spin dash but if u could deal some type of damage or knock back and u can actually control the distance u travel then yes maybe u can consider it a wavedash. but considering that ur still vulnerable to an enemy's attacks while sliding, and u cant attack then u will just look stupid on the battlefield.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
What you have here is a false syllogism. You are saying that because wavedashing involves sliding that sliding involves wavedashing. It's a one-way relationship though. If you don't air dodge to do it, wave dashing it is not.

Johnnyboy

Smash Journeyman
I know it's not an actual wavedash and I never claimed it was, hence the "kinda" in the topic title.
I only used the term because of the similar sliding forward while in the neutral stance mechanic.
It's nothing more than a cool little trick I thought people would find interesting. I didn't know mentioning wavedashing would cause this much drama.:psycho:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i dont have a problem with you \. its just that people are so enamored with the idea of wave dashing that they try to force it into this game with no viable cause. people act like they can no longer play the game unless some adv. movement technique is found. we should all just accept the fact that its gone, move on and find a different way to approach your opponent. thats all. when i found out that they took wd'ing out of brawl, i was disappointed too, but i knew that i was still going to love the game, b/c wd'ing is not what made the game great. being in a medium where you could outthinnk and out manuver your opponent was. nothing personal toward you, my man. i would just rather that you try to come up with some thing for sonic that will be useful everytime i pick up the controller. like the spring-down air thing... instead of this kind of speculation that you proly knew yourself was proly going to have almost no application. not trying to be hurtful, im just sayin...

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
There could be a potential combo with this (not sure, as we were doing FFA, so I didn't have time to reproduce this). When I did a Spin Charge, heading towards a slope, I tried to jump cancel to u-air like I normally would, but I canceled the jump (with the aforementioned "technique"), and instead, I u-tilted the person that I hit with the Spin Charge. I was then able to further combo the person with u-airs. Also, I did this on the slope of the ship on the Great Sea stage while it is wrecked on the island, so this might only work on extremely sloped surfaces. I don't have the game, and only played it at a friend's house, so someone else should test this with other slopes and with various DI angles.

Top Bottom