• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic a falco counter?

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
Haha i went to a tournament yesterday. My falco couldnt get 1 hit on this guys sonic. I seriously thought he was gonna 3 stock me, but it ended up being 1 stock. Haha its also really hard to chain grab a sonic too.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Back in april, my friend was experimenting with sonic and he actually beat my falco. It took me about a day to realize I could just JUMP OVER his dash attacks. :/ Lasers rip apart his speed, and what's even funnier is shield grabbing him during his run. Falco destroys sonic at actual attacking and aerial. You should have no problem with sonic.

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Sonic is hard if you have never played a good one before (as with most characters, however it seems to be a bit more distinct with Sonic). Once you get him down its not bad at all though.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
Sonics speed is useless against Falco because of his laser, you can just stop him in his tracks when he tries a ground approach. If falco didnt have a gun it might have been a different story =/

BEES

Smash Lord
Sonic is underrated. Falco doesn't completely walk over him like some low-tiers. There is still a bit of an advantage though. Your attacks have total priority against Sonic.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think sonic has a minor advantage over falco. At least online. I have a lot of trouble against good sonic's.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
back on march, my friend mains fox and diddy, i used as a second sonic (quit him since he sucks a lot in my opinion) and well, i easily beat his fox and his diddy

now, he pulled out falco, his lasers destroyed my ground speed game, which ended up him ****** me with a char he never used before

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Yeah, Sonic is hard if you have never played a good one before
You have NO idea how often good Sonic players hear that. XD

Most Sonic's will try their hardest to be unpredictable. Just use lasers and high priority attacks to force mistakes. Sonic THRIVES off of gimp kills and forcing mistakes from the opponent. So just... out trick him.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Good Sonic's are few and far between, but if you do come across one you've just gotta think that your priority>his, laser spam>his ground game, illusion>his gimp game etc.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
idk why people say sonic sucks. maybe because theres so many bad ones but a good sonic player destroeyd my MK. i can handle him vs my snake tho.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I don't see how he got around your lasers if you were doing them right? Sonic approaches from the ground and if your second laser comes out as you land he should have a LOT of trouble even approaching you, even as fast as he is on the ground, he's a sloth in the air. His homing attacks would be messed up in the air by your air laser. Sonic has trouble approaching characters with stunning projectiles like Falco's lasers. Were you being too aggressive?

Umby

Smash Master
Sonic is a difficult character to describe in terms of good and bad. The opening factor is that he lacks what a lot of players seek competitively in Brawl: range, priority, power, and a projectile. Another leading factor is the surprise (No one really knows what to expect vs a good Sonic, and end up losing on those grounds). Yet on the other hand, Sonic is really good at laying down pressure on the opponent, and actually excels at gimp kills.

IMO, Sonic vs Falco is a strange battle. Falco easily stops Sonic with lasers, but from my experience, they start to even up when they go toe to toe, especially considering Sonic can immediately escape Falco's CG. If you have issues, I'd probably SHDL to Shine often to try and force a trip, and tech chase him off of that.

I don't see how he got around your lasers if you were doing them right? Sonic approaches from the ground and if your second laser comes out as you land he should have a LOT of trouble even approaching you, even as fast as he is on the ground, he's a sloth in the air. His homing attacks would be messed up in the air by your air laser. Sonic has trouble approaching characters with stunning projectiles like Falco's lasers. Were you being too aggressive?
Though I don't consider it easy to do in this matchup (though not that hard either), Sonic does have a technique called Spinshot that often helps him quickly close distance vs most projectile users. That might be how he avoided the lasers.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Man. I haven't faced a projectile spammer in SO long. I can't even do consistent spinshots anymore. XD

I can pick it up in like 20 seconds but I don't feel like it.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Falco's laser is either the best or second best projectile in the game, Pit's arrows and Rob's laser is the only contendor....and Diddy's Bannana's if you count them

Top Bottom