• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something that may help Olimar's recovery problem

lil cj

Smash Lord
So heres the story, Im doing a free for all against "anyone" online
Im Ike, and one of my opponents is an Olimar....This Olimar was very good
And was KOing everyone. Im doing my best to keep up and defend myself against this Olimar
So I do an up smash to knock Olimar off the stage, he falls diagonal towards the stage and is about to tether the ledge.Me knowing that Olimar's main weakness is his recovery, hangs on to the ledge to prevent him from tethering.I thought maybe the Olimar as good as he was, might throw a purple pikmin to hit me off the ledge, but I was wrong. He tethers normally, it hit me, I got shocked somehow and was spiked to my death.I was amazed and confused:confused::dizzy:
I didnt know Olimar could do that.
To make a long story short, as an Olimar main myself I know the only thing thats keeping Olimar from being top tier is his recovery.And whatever technique that Olimar did to spike my Ike(no rhyme intended...lol) is actually what we Olimar mains need to find out about.
Maybe to spike you have to have a yellow pikmin in front or something like that...idk.
Does anyone know about this???

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
-.- If you have a white or purple in the front, it'll spike your opponent off the ledge if they choose to stay there. We Olimars have several ways to get back to the stage, including throwing purples, saving our second jump, using SA, upair and fair to keep them off the ledge, etc.

Thanks for sharing though. I bet some of the people in this forum didn't know that.

geekd

Smash Apprentice
I always though any color pikmin would stagespike, so long as you hit them in their center of mass? I could be wrong though...

asob4

Smash Champion
I always though any color pikmin would stagespike, so long as you hit them in their center of mass? I could be wrong though...
you're right

but white and purple SPIKE

all others stage spike as it pushes them upwards

has to be tipper though with white and purple for the spike. i got friend's MK with it once out of nowhere hehe
we were shocked

Puddin

Smash Lord
Uhm yes we knew, and while the recovery is a big part of Olimars lack of top tier the main reason is Metaknight....

lil cj

Smash Lord
Uhm yes we knew, and while the recovery is a big part of Olimars lack of top tier the main reason is Metaknight....
Metaknight shouldnt be that hard for Olimar
Olimar out ranges him, and most of his moves have more priority that Metaknights
I think I heard that Olimar's nair and stop MK's tornado.
The only thing we need to worry about is Metaknight's edge guarding.
Whistle armor should prevent that.
Am I right?

Puddin

Smash Lord
That's how it should be, but it's not. His moves are too fast to time a WAC, and he has multiple jumps allowing him to easily edge guard Olimar even if we use the Whistle.

Metaknight is an unexplainable phenomenon that was made on purpose by Sakurai to save his baby from the pain of being low tier.

Trust me Metaknight IS hard for Olimar.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
yer he wont get edgehogged if ur invincibility frames have run out on the edge so thats y u got spiked i guess...
its pretty nifty.

shanus

Smash Hero
Metaknight shouldnt be that hard for Olimar
Olimar out ranges him, and most of his moves have more priority that Metaknights
I think I heard that Olimar's nair and stop MK's tornado.
The only thing we need to worry about is Metaknight's edge guarding.
Whistle armor should prevent that.
Am I right?
Nope.

Its a hard match-up, I WAC just about every shuttle loop which is thrown at me. (You should see my set vs. Chum, I think in one game alone I WAC'd about 20 shuttle loops, he hated me for it). If you play by trying to outpriortize MK, he is gonna bend you over, hard. My success against MK is getting a throw off on him and getting under him. Then we can get away with upsmash, uair, etcetc to rack up some damage. Once you get that, backthrow/upthrow and upsmash are all you need. And don't ever try and outpriortize the whorenado.

leelue

Smash Lord
As an adamant Mk player and a former Olimar player, i must agree, Olimar fails most of the time against MK.
My friend C4 recently picked up the veggie throwing captain and was putting in good work against my other mains.... Then i brought Mk and put an end to it.

So long as Mk doesn't get caught up in all the confusion that surrounds olimar and his awesome moveset, and if he stays focused and presses without being dumb (obv), olimar has a tremendous uphill battle..

Getting under Mk is helpful... but not a godsend by any means. Metaknight has too many options in the air, including Up B, Side B, Neutral B, Down B(???), and Down air (and air dodge and many many jumps) to just take olimars air game to the face. It just isn't gonna come to fruition enough. Maybe if Captain O's within his Fair range (god i love that move), but otherwise, its just a bit more than an annoyance, not a real weak spot.

shanus

Smash Hero
I disagree with you there, getting under MK (even the very good ones I've played against) was the only real viable way, and using olimar's fair was a terrible choice in that match-up. All the MK vs olimar matchup requires is practice and patience to see the right openings and read the opponents approach. Then punish with grab/upsmash/uair really.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
Are you guys 100% sure about teh white\purple being the only ones to spike? I'm pretty certain I've spiked with different colours.

I've usually found that it's more about where the pikmin hit them (try to hit them as high as possible)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whites and purples will spike, AND allow you to grasp the ledge back from them. The others will spike as well, but you won't grab the edge.

GuyWhoFry!

Smash Rookie
Lol...I've done it a couple of times, but I'd never thought anything of it until yesterday, where I was pondering the thought that it was a sort of defensive mechanism employed to make the Veggie Spaceman even better, and maybe get his own back on those edge-hogging smartarses :) It's good to know that there are people willing to find these things out and share great info. Thanks :bee:

Aztec Imperial

Smash Rookie
This will not help, because most knowledged players know this and go up the stage/hand on at the exact time he theters. The only people you will catch with this are noobs, and anyway I have known this since the week Brawl came out. So it is better to either wait for the person to climb the stage or spam pikmin before you die.

Top Bottom