• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something I Wondered If Only I found Usefull.

EPIC-FAIL

Smash Apprentice
In the back of a Little Ceasers, Making dough
I searched and found nothing pertaining to what I'm about to talk about.

While recovering (i.e. falling back down toward the stage), I found that if I charge AS, and then air dodge toward the stage (or away from it), it would increase my momentum in the direction of the air dodge. I'm sure someone else may have found it, or discovered it and found it useless, but I would beg to differ. At first it seems the change isn't that great but after playing around with it, it has its uses. I mostly use it to change my landing spot on the stage or shift my momentum in another direction. When getting edge guarded, a lot of players assume I'm already dead without a second jump, but with this...new found information( at lease to me), I have bin able to survive a number of possible deaths, and shocking my opponent.

I saw no difference with just air dodging. So I'm wondering if anyone finds this useful or worth reading or viable in their game?

Nubsta5

Smash Cadet
I think he means something entirely different from what you're thinking, Bear.

I have an idea on it, but the setup for my idea is pretty ******** and would take a while to complete.

If you have any way of doing so, make a video, pl0x.

EPIC-FAIL

Smash Apprentice
LOTM, I'm sorry for not using the brain storming thread. That's a "My Bad!" Here is a video of me playing in a tournament and using what I am trying to explain. On a side note, I have posted this video before, but I am only posting it again to explain something.

watch at 1:25 sec - 1:29 sec and 1:53 - 1:57 and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmoGA4p2pXw&feature=channel_page

hough123

Smash Ace
LOTM, I'm sorry for not using the brain storming thread. That's a "My Bad!" Here is a video of me playing in a tournament and using what I am trying to explain. On a side note, I have posted this video before, but I am only posting it again to explain something.

watch at 25 sec - 29 sec and 1:53 - 1:57 and you'll see what I mean.

WOW, creepy O.O

I saw the momentum boost, it was obvious actually. You AD'd twice though, so you could have gotten gimped for that. The main problem I see with this is the amount you fall, and the punishable AD. This does look like it would have some use though, so nice find =)

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Yeah I've seen this match, I do the exact same thing in the air It's actually pretty useful, because if you use it after your momentum cancel, you get some distance, or you can drop a bit faster to the stage, getting you closer to the edge. The only problem with your way, is that your second air dodge is extremely unsafe since you're doing it at the wrong time. I understand that you don't want to get hit again, but you do it really close to the edge where Lucario can cling on instantly from a very nice distance.

How you guys think this is punishable is weird, since you have a slightly charged AS at hand, and if you know what to do you can fake out a bit, shoot the as and gives you a bit more time to recover. Since we all know a slightly charged AS moves out faster than a bas.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lucario's got everything covered in the recovery department that's good (stalling aerial, good warding off aerial, decent offstage projectile, DI wackiness, wallcling), except his actual recovery lol.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Lucario's got everything covered in the recovery department that's good (stalling aerial, good warding off aerial, decent offstage projectile, DI wackiness, wallcling), except his actual recovery lol.
^ This 100 times.

EPIC-FAIL

Smash Apprentice
Again, I will mention that the second air dodge is to prove that the AS is needed for the increase in momentum. As you could see, just air dodging does not (I repeat, DOES NOT!!) increase momentum. At the time of the video, I was still testing this method out. BTW, that video want made to preview the AT( if that,s what you want to call it), it was a actual tournament. I honestly didn't know how to fight IC's. (I still dont... lol)

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
I feel insane for not seeing anything remotely useful in terms of recovering

halp

edit: the way timbers explained it makes sense and I understand what you guys are talking about. Now excuse me while I lol @ all of you for thinking that this could potentially help Lucario's metagame.

Timbers

check me out

watch at 1:25 sec - 1:29 sec and 1:53 - 1:57 and you'll see what I mean.

When you started charging your sphere, you weren't fully using Luc's aerial movement. When you start charging a sphere, you can't alter your momentum. I bet you hold your joystick towards the stage while charging, but it still does nothing. You can start a charge and let your stick go to neutral and you'll still maintain the same momentum. When you airdodge you gain control of your aerial momentum immediately, and holding the joystick towards the stage instantly let Lucario reap his full momentum that the sphere charge was limiting on a predetermined path. You can be using your maximum aerial momentum while sphere charging, but you have to be doing so before charging the sphere, as you're locked into whatever direction you're going as soon as you start the sphere charge. You don't gain your full momentum for a while when knocked out, so charging a sphere right as you gain control of Lucario after being knocked offstage obviously wouldn't let you reap full momentum.

It's mindgamey and possibly useful (more on this later down) but it's not an actual physics glitch, it's just combining two existing components of this game; Luc's inability to change momentum during a sphere cancel, and the entirety of aerial movement lol.

EDIT: Actually after watching again, it just seemed like you let your stick go neutral for too long to use neutralB (aurasphere) so you killed your momentum even more when doing that.
How you guys think this is punishable is weird, since you have a slightly charged AS at hand, and if you know what to do you can fake out a bit, shoot the as and gives you a bit more time to recover. Since we all know a slightly charged AS moves out faster than a bas.

Sphere doesn't have a very big hitbox around Lucario (there's actually NO hitbox around lucario, sphere doesn't gain a hitbox until shortly after it's released) which makes him vulnerable, especially when he can't do anything out of sphere charge (while airborne) except airdodge. That makes it easy for an opponent to read his obvious choices.

EPIC-FAIL

Smash Apprentice
Ok. So correct me if I am wrong. I killed my own momentum by using AS charge and got it back after it canceled? That being said, is momentum lost when not holding any direction??? From what I understand (from what you stated), maximum momentum is only attained while holding the direction you want to go in. With that, when I let go to get to neutral B, I lose momentum, and when canceled, I get it back (or at lease from a physics point of view) right? and with what you stated last, it now does seem very punishable.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to mix it up with something (i.e. wave bouncing or b reversing) or did I just make this topic seem more ********?

hough123

Smash Ace
Ok. So correct me if I am wrong. I killed my own momentum by using AS charge and got it back after it canceled? That being said, is momentum lost when not holding any direction??? From what I understand (from what you stated), maximum momentum is only attained while holding the direction you want to go in. With that, when I let go to get to neutral B, I lose momentum, and when canceled, I get it back (or at lease from a physics point of view) right? and with what you stated last, it now does seem very punishable.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to mix it up with something (i.e. wave bouncing or b reversing) or did I just make this topic seem more ********?
What he meant in english: When charging AS, your control Lucario's momentum, (As well as his maximum momentum.), is cut by the game as to make things "fair" for your opponent. When you AD out of the AS charge, you regain control of Lucario's full momentum and he regains his maximum momentum.

In even more words: You made yourself go slower, then went faster by stopping what made you go slower.

So far, not many Lucario's use his wavebounce because of it taking the c-stick. B reversing is a commonly used tactics among upper Lucarios, so it may be able to be incorporated into this.

hough123

Smash Ace
I vote on the "more ********" option.
I partially do too now that I think about it. B-reversal would be just as effective with this as it would be normally. Sorry, but as Timbers said, this is only useful as a mindgame while recovering D=

To Bear: I liked your old avy more, but this one suits you very well =D

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
tbh, I only use the FMA one for Myspace because a lot of people I know get the FMA reference (and surprisingly they are girls). I was gonna go with another one but it was labeled as a gif even though it wouldn't have any animation. w/e though.

and this one was on AIB but got me like seven infractions for the word **** lol

Timbers

check me out
What he meant in english: When charging AS, your control Lucario's momentum, (As well as his maximum momentum.), is cut by the game as to make things "fair" for your opponent. When you AD out of the AS charge, you regain control of Lucario's full momentum and he regains his maximum momentum.

In even more words: You made yourself go slower, then went faster by stopping what made you go slower.

So far, not many Lucario's use his wavebounce because of it taking the c-stick. B reversing is a commonly used tactics among upper Lucarios, so it may be able to be incorporated into this.
AS charge doesn't limit Luc's full aerial momentum, you're just locked in whatever direction you were going when you start sphere charge. It doesn't make it "fair" lol, it's just how the game is. Off the top of my head, you're unable to alter momentum during any charge moves, Luc is no exception.

When you have to return your joystick to neutral to use aurasphere, it'll cut your momentum. Depending how precise you are in doing so, it may only be a very small fraction loss of your momentum, but the examples you gave us implied you were too slow in getting your sphere charge started and it cut your momentum quite a bit, as shown by the "boost" your full aerial momentum gave you once you cancelled it.

Luc's pivot aurasphere could be legit, I dunno. I don't play this game so idc lol
I partially do too now that I think about it. B-reversal would be just as effective with this as it would be normally. Sorry, but as Timbers said, this is only useful as a mindgame while recovering D=

To Bear: I liked your old avy more, but this one suits you very well =D
I was moreso humoring in the "mindgame" comment. You're really **** easy to read anyways lol.

hough123

Smash Ace
AS charge doesn't limit Luc's full aerial momentum, you're just locked in whatever direction you were going when you start sphere charge. It doesn't make it "fair" lol, it's just how the game is. Off the top of my head, you're unable to alter momentum during any charge moves, Luc is no exception.

When you have to return your joystick to neutral to use aurasphere, it'll cut your momentum. Depending how precise you are in doing so, it may only be a very small fraction loss of your momentum, but the examples you gave us implied you were too slow in getting your sphere charge started and it cut your momentum quite a bit, as shown by the "boost" your full aerial momentum gave you once you cancelled it.

Luc's pivot aurasphere could be legit, I dunno. I don't play this game so idc lol

I was moreso humoring in the "mindgame" comment. You're really **** easy to read anyways lol.
I guess I read it wrong =\
By "Fair" I meant that the idiots who put tripping in also added that in to "Balence" the game.

Your post does point out my flaws, now I learned something :laugh:

Top Bottom