• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Someone explain Dark Pit's cameo

D

Deleted member

I just need to get this out of my head, why was he there? What was his purpose?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Teasing Medusa by referencing Uprising's first chapter :awesome:

Well, I guess nobody knows. There's various theories about that, but that's all we have now.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I say it is to yank Dark Pit fan's chain. Sakurai does it for trolling, but I think Dark Pit's real purpose is to be an alternate costume to Pit.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I'd say he's gonna be Pit's alternate costume.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
honestly I think this makes it more likely that Dark Pit will be a playable character for the following reasons:

1. The two character reveal videos shown at E3 both featured a teaser character cameo at the very end (G&W with Pacman) And if that confirms G&W then it could confirm Dark Pit as well.
2. Sakurai produced Kid Icarus: Uprising and has shown favoritism for other games hes worked on in the past.
3. More Villains

He could also just use other weapons/powers from KI:U as a moveset but that wouldnt be very exciting.

But who knows?

D

Deleted member

honestly I think this makes it more likely that Dark Pit will be a playable character for the following reasons:

1. The two character reveal videos shown at E3 both featured a teaser character cameo at the very end (G&W with Pacman) And if that confirms G&W then it could confirm Dark Pit as well.
2. Sakurai produced Kid Icarus: Uprising and has shown favoritism for other games hes worked on in the past.
3. More Villains

He could also just use other weapons/powers from KI:U as a moveset but that wouldnt be very exciting.

But who knows?
*sigh* I knew someonde would bring this, anyway, no, it doesn't make him more likely, the difference with G&W is that he's a veteran, it would be wrong to Sakurai acknowledge something that would be cut, with Dark Pit, people are just jumping into assumptions
Also, last time people checked other character trailers, we got:
:4villager: Part of his FS
:4megaman: A boss
:4littlemac:Part of his victory screen

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I feel that Dark Pit might be a newcomer character, handling the weapon types that Pit didn't get. (staves, claws, cannons, etc.)

And I REALLY hope I'm wrong. I might start supporting Medusa and Hades actively to make sure that a Pit recolor with even less differences than Dr. Mario to Mario doesn't make it in.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It was obviously a tease. For what? No one knows.

My theory is that Dark Pit will be an alt for Pit. Remember that, aside a few differences, Dark Pit is based on Pit's black color from Brawl.

I think that color will be updated to be the same as Dark Pit and have Dark Pit's voice clips instead. They might also add more Dark Pit colors (with darker color schemes to contrast with Pit's lighter colors), so multiple players can select Dark Pit.

In other words, I think Pit and Dark Pit will be able to be selected from the same slot, much like how you can select between female or male Wii Fit Trainer, each having a set of colors.

This is, of course, just a theory, for Dark Pit could be an Assist Trophy (alongside Magnus and Phosphora) or a stage hazard/boss on Palutena's Temple.

I've watched a subbed version of the Japanese trailer and there, Palutena asks if Dark Pit has returned, to which Dark Pit responds with an ambiguously positive response (like a "more-or-less" sort of response). Whereas in the English trailer, Palutena asks him the "crashing her party" question instead with Dark Pit responding positively. Needless to say, Nintendo took a few liberties with the dubbed script, but the general idea is the same: Dark Pit is in the game somehow.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I really just hope DP's just an alternate costume with his own voice clips, that's pretty much all I can say.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It's just a cameo to troll his fans. The same fans that pair him with Pit for some reason.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm just going to say, if he is going to be hinted that big, then he has to be more than an alt. costume, Sakurai is definitely going to treat him as a separate entity like he did with Dark Samus. I'm slowly leaning towards playable.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, what if he is a costume, with his own voice, but who have his own role in a possible adventure mode?

D

Deleted member

Like being a Subspace Peach and Zelda?
I don't think Sakurai is hyping up Pittoo just for a role in a possible Adventure mode.
Do I have to remember that Tom Nook, a character many thought was being hinted at when he looked at Villager's letter, became nothing but part of his FS? Or that Doc Louis is part of Little Mac's victory screen? The fact is, all characters that appeared in another character before the confirmation of their status have been deconfirmed, I wouldn't expect him more than an Assist, it's not "teasing", it's a cameo that as some have pointed out, is just a change of roles of Medusa's quote, in this case, being Dark Pit "crashing the Godess of Light homecoming party" as in Uprising, Medusa asks the same thing to Pit

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Do I have to remember that Tom Nook, a character many thought was being hinted at when he looked at Villager's letter, became nothing but part of his FS? Or that Doc Louis is part of Little Mac's victory screen? The fact is, all characters that appeared in another character before the confirmation of their status have been deconfirmed, I wouldn't expect him more than an Assist, it's not "teasing", it's a cameo that as some have pointed out, is just a change of roles of Medusa's quote, in this case, being Dark Pit "crashing the Godess of Light homecoming party" as in Uprising, Medusa asks the same thing to Pit
...Huh. Didn't think he was foreshadowing Medusa.
Makes sense, though, Medusa did offer to make Dark Pit her champion.
What the hell, I'll start supporting her. Screw anyone who complains that Sakurai is overrepresenting his own series.

D

Deleted member

...Huh. Didn't think he was foreshadowing Medusa.
Makes sense, though, Medusa did offer to make Dark Pit her champion.
What the hell, I'll start supporting her. Screw anyone who complains that Sakurai is overrepresenting his own series.
Tbh, I could take Medusa and Hades simply for being villains(and because Hades is also known as Mr. Personality)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Tom Nook was not directly hinted or alluded unlike Dark Pit. Those situations are not the same. :9

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm just going to say, if he is going to be hinted that big, then he has to be more than an alt. costume, Sakurai is definitely going to treat him as a separate entity like he did with Dark Samus. I'm slowly leaning towards playable.
He did the same thing with both WFTs when the Direct has "Wii Fit Trainers" referred as a plural, so I wouldn't toss aside the possibility of being an alt and most definitely wouldn't count on him being a separate character.

This, but I'd like to add something.

Note all characters on the character trailers: Tom Nook on the Villager trailer became part of his FS and Doc Louis became part of Little Mac's victory animation. In other words, foreshadowing some lesser roles.

Dark Pit appears as an "after the end" bonus, or like TV Tropes calls, "The Stinger". It's nothing more than a Easter Egg, an extra.

Doc Louis appearing on Little Mac's victory screen makes sense: Doc is Mac's coach. He's always watching over him and celebrates Mac's victories. Likewise, Tom Nook's role on the Villager's FS makes sense since Nook is the one who sells furniture for the player's house in Animal Crossing.

Judging by the Japanese trailer (that has the original script), Palutena remarks how he "has returned". Returned from what? Remember that Dark Pit is based on Pit's popular black color from Brawl. And Dark Pit is a popular character as well.

Basically, he could be returning as a color swap, except this time, it makes more sense to be a glorified one, with voice changes (both Pits even share VAs on both Japanese and English versions) and possibly more Dark Pit inspired colors. This role as an alt makes as much sense as Doc's and Nook's roles: Dark Pit fights exactly the same way as Pit. In Uprising, there's no difference between playing as Pit or Dark Pit. Dark Pit is a reflection of Pit's self and in a way are the same character.

Dark Samus, on the other hand, has very substantial differences from Samus. Those could be reflected as a different play style. Of course, she's an Assist Trophy, but even so, she uses moves radically different from Samus.

I think the opportunity to put him as an extra for Pit is just too great to pass up, especially coming from the guy who put a male Wii Fit Trainer and a wire frame Little Mac as alts. There are no guarantees, but given the circumstances, it's what seems more likely...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
He did the same thing with both WFTs when the Direct has "Wii Fit Trainers" referred as a plural, so I wouldn't toss aside the possibility of being an alt and most definitely wouldn't count on him being a separate character.
So you want to call Pit "Pits" with Dark Pit as an alt.? That doesn't make any sense, I'm not so sure what you're saying unless you expect a female Pit.

This, but I'd like to add something.

Note all characters on the character trailers: Tom Nook on the Villager trailer became part of his FS and Doc Louis became part of Little Mac's victory animation. In other words, foreshadowing some lesser roles.

Dark Pit appears as an "after the end" bonus, or like TV Tropes calls, "The Stinger". It's nothing more than a Easter Egg, an extra.
Why would the end of the trailer be an easter egg when it's clearly hinting a bigger role (than an alt.) for Dark Pit, I wouldn't call it "The Stinger". Moreso I would call it the sequel hook (Except it's not a sequel they are hinting to, a character)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SequelHook
The scene of Palutena being crashed by Dark Pit is obviously hooking to something bigger.

Judging by the Japanese trailer (that has the original script), Palutena remarks how he "has returned". Returned from what? Remember that Dark Pit is based on Pit's popular black color from Brawl. And Dark Pit is a popular character as well.
Basically, he could be returning as a color swap, except this time, it makes more sense to be a glorified one, with voice changes (both Pits even share VAs on both Japanese and English versions) and possibly more Dark Pit inspired colors. This role as an alt makes as much sense as Doc's and Nook's roles: Dark Pit fights exactly the same way as Pit. In Uprising, there's no difference between playing as Pit or Dark Pit. Dark Pit is a reflection of Pit's self and in a way are the same character.
And Palutena's FS does not have Dark Pit with him nor would she even likely have him as her victory coach, the situations aren't relatable at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone thinks Lucas, Falco and Wolf will be cut to give custom movesets for their "original" character, so why would you think Dark Pit is a special case? I think this is going to start a flame war between Dark Pit: playable or not. I think that's enough, @ Frostwraith Frostwraith has already give me good points, it's better lock this before a flame war starts

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 You're taking my words too literally.

So you want to call Pit "Pits" with Dark Pit as an alt.? That doesn't make any sense, I'm not so sure what you're saying unless you expect a female Pit.
What I mean to say is that much like how male and female Wii Fit Trainers are different identities, so are both Pits.

Meaning: two different entities can be alts of each another. In other words: sharing a character slot.

Why would the end of the trailer be an easter egg when it's clearly hinting a bigger role (than an alt.) for Dark Pit, I wouldn't call it "The Stinger". Moreso I would call it the sequel hook (Except it's not a sequel they are hinting to, a character)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SequelHook
The scene of Palutena being crashed by Dark Pit is obviously hooking to something bigger.
A Stinger may or may not be a sequel hook. And in this case, it doesn't seem that to me. It's just a tease and a vague one at that.

And Palutena's FS does not have Dark Pit with him nor would she even likely have him as her victory coach, the situations aren't relatable at all.
What I meant to say is a character on a reveal trailer having a minor role.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
What I mean to say is that much like how male and female Wii Fit Trainers are different identities, so are both Pits.
I don't think you can compare those identities WFT with Pit, Wii Fit Trainer is clearly Wii Fit Trainer and Villager is Villager with a gender switch as an aesthetically customizable option in their respective games. Dark Pit and Pit are different people and don't have a form of aesthetic customization available in their games, there is a difference. :p

A Stinger may or may not be a sequel hook. And in this case, it doesn't seem that to me. It's just a tease and a vague one at that.
Why wouldn't it be a tease to something big then?
You can easily take for example KH's secret endings for example where they hint at the next game's plot with the characters they are using to tease their big roles. In that same sort of way, the ending of Palutena's trailer ends with Palutena questioning Dark Pit, in which he answers the question then ending the trailer abruptly for people to guess. Is it still not a tease? If it wasn't a tease then it would've been shown it like this:
This scene wasn't teasing anything big, it was just showing us that the Iron Giant is still alive. That is in a small sense a stinger that shows "easter egg" ending.

What I meant to say is a character on a reveal trailer having a minor role.
It doesn't seem to be the case to me at all.

Everyone thinks Lucas, Falco and Wolf will be cut to give custom movesets for their "original" character, so why would you think Dark Pit is a special case? I think this is going to start a flame war between Dark Pit: playable or not. I think that's enough, @ Frostwraith Frostwraith has already give me good points, it's better lock this before a flame war starts
We are explaining Dark Pit's cameo like the thread title says right?

D

Deleted member

Don't tell me I didn't warned you then. Dark Pit is either an Alt. Costume or an Assist, there is literally ZERO justification to include him as a separate character, you're assuming something just like a lot of people assumed Tom Nook was being "teased"

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Don't tell me I didn't warned you then. Dark Pit is either an Alt. Costume or an Assist, there is literally ZERO justification to include him as a separate character, you're assuming something just like a lot of people assumed Tom Nook was being "teased"
I can only see bias here if you think there is zero justification for Dark Pit. Every Nintendo character has some form of reasons on why they should be included in Smash Bros., and once again Tom Nook's situation is different from Dark Pit's.
Dark Pit was alluding to something while Tom Nook was simply looking at the letter before the sequence of franchise names began (which is not alluding to anything).

D

Deleted member

I can only see bias here if you think there is zero justification for Dark Pit. Every Nintendo character has some form of reasons on why they should be included in Smash Bros., and once again Tom Nook's situation is different from Dark Pit's.
Dark Pit was alluding to something while Tom Nook was simply looking at the letter before the sequence of franchise names began (which is not alluding to anything).
Let's see:
-KI didn't even deserves a second rep
-There are more important KI characters who wouldn't be clones
-There are other series who are needing more reps now

The only thing you an say about Dark Pit is Sakurai's bias

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Let's see:
-KI didn't even deserves a second rep Bias, look at the word deserve here. :p
-There are more important KI characters who wouldn't be clones Yes there're more important characters than him, but he's easy to make last minute clone incase Sakurai wants more filler in the roster.
-There are other series who are needing more reps now Bias again. :p
The only thing you an say about Dark Pit is Sakurai's bias
If were going to argue because of bias, let's just stop the argument here then. I'm still on the notion it's still hinting some big role.

D

Deleted member

If were going to argue because of bias, let's just stop the argument here then. I'm still on the notion it's still hinting some big role.
Could you tell me why a series with 3 games deserves a 3rd rep while series like Pikmin don't and Mother should have one of their reps cut? Or series like DK and Metroid stuck with 2 and 1 respectively(no, Zamus doesn't count as another rep, it's still Samus)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Could you tell me why a series with 3 games deserves a 3rd rep while series like Pikmin don't and Mother should have one of their reps cut? Or series like DK and Metroid stuck with 2 and 1 respectively(no, Zamus doesn't count as another rep, it's still Samus)
Deserves is opinionated once again. I'm not going to answer the DK Metroid question since one of them are most likely getting a newcomer anyway.
But if I had to come up with a reason, I think it would most likely be these reasons:
- Sakurai's bias.
- The vast unexplored weapons of KI:U that Pit or Palutena doesn't use to make Dark Pit a diverse character.
- Need for a filler clone just like in Brawl and Melee.
But this is not answering the thread title's question anyway, so why don't we take this over to the Dark Pit support thread. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Deserves is opinionated once again. I'm not going to answer the DK Metroid question since one of them are most likely getting a newcomer anyway.
But if I had to come up with a reason, I think it would most likely be these reasons:
- Sakurai's bias.
- The vast unexplored weapons of KI:U that Pit or Palutena doesn't use to make Dark Pit a diverse character.
- Need for a filler clone just like in Brawl and Melee.
But this is not answering the thread title's question anyway, so why don't we take this over to the Dark Pit support thread. :p
Bias, exactly, if Sakurai hadn't worked in Uprising, Palutena would be considered wishful thinking, also, Brawl had no last minute additions, just Sonic and he isn't a clone

Anyway, the purpose has already been answered for me, and no, I won't go there, they would kill me I'm not the one who goes in other threads just to say that their character has no chance, if you want to believe, then believe, but, again, don't tell me I didn't warn you

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Bias, exactly, if Sakurai hadn't worked in Uprising, Palutena would be considered wishful thinking, also, Brawl had no last minute additions, just Sonic and he isn't a clone

Anyway, the purpose has already been answered for me, and no, I won't go there, they would kill me I'm not the one who goes in other threads just to say that their character has no chance, if you want to believe, then believe, but, again, don't tell me I didn't warn you
Which means Dark Pit can be turned from "wishful thinking" to actually having a real chance of being playable. :p
Also, I'm pretty sure :toonlink::jigglypuff::wolf:were last minute additions to the Brawl roster if you look at the priority list in Brawl's data, there will probably be last minute additions again in Smash 4.
Anyways, thanks for the discussion, I hope you really understood what I was talking about.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Also, last time people checked other character trailers, we got:
:4villager: Part of his FS
:4megaman: A boss
:4littlemac:Part of his victory screen
I can't really see Dark Pit as part of Palutena's FS or victory, however I do agree with him being a boss. I think it would be nice if we didn't just get huge enemy's like yellow devil. Would be pretty cool if dark pit was basically a 5th player causing havoc on the field and maybe flying up and shooting at the players.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, it's time for my personal input on this before chaos grows.

As I said before, I strongly prefer if Dark Pit was just a unique alt color with his own voiceset. But here's some to be theoretical or to think about.
What if we got the same black Pit colors rather than the Dark Pit look? Do you think there's a secret unlockable KI stage that may involve Dark Pit's presence? The chapter I'm mostly referencing is Ch.6, in which not only do you chase him around, but also is a boss battle in multiple locations. As such, it could be the arena where you fight him, where he periodically flies around and attacks.

But outside of that, I still see him as a unique alt color with a different voiceset.
All in all, I can only see him as being in one of these positions:

-Pit's black alt color modified to look like Dark Pit (gold laurel and red eyes), with his DP voiceset.
-Assist Trophy that may or not be an unlockable AT (iirc, Brawl had few ATs that needed to be unlocked).
-A hazard on a secret Kid Icarus stage that's yet to be revealed, and most likely an unlockable stage at that.

There's a chance that he can be a regular trophy to unlock too.

While I strongly prefer him to be the unique alt color that I've been saying many times, I really don't want to get into this kinda discussion and rather wait. I will say that I may be a bit annoyed if he actually becomes a separate character probably because I have a disdain for dark lookalikes of another character getting a slot of their own. I understand he can use different weapons, but his main weapon is also a bow. At the same time, if he was separate, there'd have to be different Pit costumes for him, but what do I know? My suggestion is just to wait. No need to get stressed about this.

AquaDork1

Smash Apprentice
If this is a hint at something, the only logical thing would be Dark Pit as an Assist Trophy (like Dark Samus).
Otherwise, he's just a color swap.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Dark Pit will hopefully be an alt costume. I would hate to have a character slot wasted on a clone like pittoo. Even though I do like him, I don't see him being his own character, and I don't want it to happen.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
He's going to be an alternate costume.
Not a color swap, but a full alt. With a different artwork pose, voice acting, and expressions. Maybe even his own color swaps (maybe they could somehow pull this off with him).

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Sakurai already expressed not liking alternate costumes that combine characters. Pittoo and Pit are different characters. I don't see him as an alt. costume because of this, in the same way lucina won't be a Marth alt. costume.

Also, he's not a playable character. If he was, we would not have heard of him until his own reveal trailer like with every other newcomer.

I'm assuming he'll be some sort of boss character, probably flying around Palutena's temple.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I guarantee you Dark Pit is probably still a color swap for Pit, he'll just have a different voice and his own lines., or at least I hope he has his own lines, I don't want an Injustice situation where John Stewart at least had a different voice than Hal Jorden but he still spoke all the same lines.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Dark Pit could be differentiated from Pit more than Falco and Wolf from Fox.:troll: But in all seriousness. I would prefer him to an alt, but at the same time, part of me wants him to be separate fighter. Call it a guilty pleasure if he is a fighter, but I'm really on the fence about this.

Top Bottom