• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some useful tips and techniques(updated) By Jebus

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
These are just some useful tips and techniques that I do. I think will help you guys out and will help you rack up that damage or save you from getting some yourself.

1. try to avoid dash grabbing when ever you can. dash grab is easily punishable if the opponent sidesteps and at high percents, can easily cost you a stock. Instead do a running shield grab. It does not have as much ending lag as the dash grab and is less punishable. If you do it correctly the shield animation should not come out.

2. sometimes you may notice if you are playing a good player that if glide toss a banana into their shield that they will grab you every single time you do it. next time instead of glide tossing the banana, dash and shield throw it. Again if done correctly you should not be able to see the shield animation. you can now punish them for going for that grab with a grab of your own.

3. A lot of the time when I play MK on stages with platforms they tend to tornado me and then retreat to a platform. So what I do is I jump towards them and I immediately buffer a side B grab. this lets me punish them when they land on the platform. Don't try to throw an aerial banana at them. chances are it won't reach. You can also use this technique to punish players who camp on platforms. It is easier to do if you claw it

4.when ever I have only one banana and I manage to trip them with a glide toss, what I do is I jump, then I instant throw it forward while I am fast falling. It gives me another free trip and I get to follow it up with any thing.This is 100% guaranteed on almost all characters(maybe not Luigi).I have done it to pros like Tyrant and mike haze consistently.

5.buffered monkey flip kick is great for approaching. If the opponent shields it, then you could just do "the ninjalink" and footstool off of their heads. It is even better when you are holding a banana because sometimes the kick has enough hit stun for you to hit them with the banana at low percents. I also like the fact that the kick can trip at low percents.

6. dribble to instant ground throw is a good mindgame that I started doing. It confuses some people and it might get you a free trip or damage which is always good.

7.one thing that I do not see a lot of players do is charge their popgun slightly. I think that this is important because if you charge your popgun slightly, you have enough time to cancel it in case your opponent gets too close or MK decides to tornado. doing this can save you from getting a ton of damage

8. In my opinion bair is a very underrated move. It has more range than fair, It comes out faster and can be done twice out of a short hop. Fair is also vary punishable because of its ending lag. If you learn to space bair correctly, I can guarantee that you will get punished less than if you were to go for a fair.

9. Something that I sometimes do at low percents is I put bananas behind the opponents or I wait for a chance when they put themselves in that situation. then I bair or fair them. What happens is that they get kicked into the banana and it gives you another chance to kick them. You could rack up like 35% by doing this and it's pretty safe unless they power shield

10. You can catch a banana that your opponent throws at you by jabbing when it gets near you. This allows you to throw it or glide toss it right after without having to waist your shield.

11. As some of you guys know, when diddy kong aerial popgun cancels, he only has a few frames where he can cancel the peanut before he starts getting the air dodge lag. this can be stopped by holding a banana and z dropping it at any time when you can cancel the PG. When you do this though, the banana ends up slightly above you. This means that you can do one of many things. You can jump an z catch it(I like to do this while retreating) or instant throw it. you can also do any aerials and the ones that I am interested in are dair and fair. This trick can get you a lot of surprise spikes and fairs from people expecting a peanut. You also get to catch your banana when you do an aerial so thats a plus. I find this easier to to do with tap jump or with a special button configuration

12. In certain situations, it is better to JC item toss than to glide toss since a glide toss can't be buffered and a JC item toss can. One of the situations that the JC item toss is really useful in is when you are shooting peanuts. After shooting an enemy down before he leaves the ground, you can buffer a JC item toss and punish him as he lands. this is something that you can't do with a regular glide toss.An interesting fact is that when you buffer the JC item toss after you shot an uncharged peanut, the banana hits the opponents shield before the peanut. This could be used to punish opponents who try to shield bounce your bananas and catch them or it can deter them from doing so in the future.

Well these are just a few tips for now. I will add more later :)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
1. I remember someone suggesting this a LONG time ago, though I completely forgot about it. Now that the hitbubbles are out, I can also confirm that standing (read: Shield Grab) Grab has the same range as a Dash Grab, so there is some definite logic to this.

2. I've never heard this one before, I'll have to try it!

3. Are you buffering a MFK, or are you trying to hump them?

4. This is Double Dropping, no? I didn't think anyone was actually using it!

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
1. I remember someone suggesting this a LONG time ago, though I completely forgot about it. Now that the hitbubbles are out, I can also confirm that standing (read: Shield Grab) Grab has the same range as a Dash Grab, so there is some definite logic to this.

2. I've never heard this one before, I'll have to try it!

3. Are you buffering a MFK, or are you trying to hump them?

4. This is Double Dropping, no? I didn't think anyone was actually using it!
for number 3 you are trying to get the grab. For number 4 you are not double dropping, you are throwing the banana jumping then doing an instant throw forward while you fast fall

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
so 4 is only when they roll away. I knew it didnt seem legit legit, but its good to know.
How do you consistently get the footstool from the monkey flip if they shield it, sometimes it just doesnt footstool.

nice tips

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
number 4 is guaranteed, but if your opponent knows about it then you have to predict where they will roll. just don't get too predictable using it. for the footstool, you have to jump twice. don't get too predictable with this either.

Sails

Smash Ace
6 is actually something I was linked to in a video recently. It's definitely not spammable as it's a mindgame, but it's quite useful.

Top Bottom