• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some things I picked up for Luigi.

TheNovaKing

Smash Rookie
First off, I'm a frequenter on this and the Lucas board, this will be my second post, my first informative one of just a few small things I've picked up.

1)Fooled You!
Make Luigi run off the stage, an opponent is most likely to get into position to edge-guard you, jump back up to the stage, followed up by a bair.

2)I love ending dash animation!
This is more commonly known as a jump cancel up smash, here's how to do it without the messy dash>up c-stick>grab. Dash, and hold y+a. You'll get some slide, it's a little difficult to gauge, but you can really throw people off guard with it.

3)Fine, take the ledge.
If you and your opponent are off the ledge, the main goal when off the ledge is to get back on the stage, you opponent is most likely to go for the ledge, well, you be the nice guy and let him have it. If it is possible (yes this is a situational tidbit) jump back up on the stage, dash back to the edge while holding y+a. This will charge your up smash and hopefully send your opponent flying.

4)Down 'n Up.
Down throw + Charged up smash. Usually a hit at lower percentages regardless of DI. Don't get greedy with the charge. Just take what you can get and get the hell outta there.

Just what I got for now, little tidbits of semi-useful information. Flame away, flame away.

TheNovaKing

Smash Rookie
Not sure what a hyphen smash is, but this is super easy, and on top of it, you can end your sliding animation and pull off a powerful smash whenever you like. (During the dash)

WIGI

Smash Champion
okkkk..how bouts you read the guides weve made already. we have anything usefull covered.

TheNovaKing

Smash Rookie
How about I HAVE read the guides.

Did I say AT? Did I say SUPERFRIGGENAWESOMENEWSTUFF? No, I said "Somethings I have picked up with Luigi."

So, get off my ***.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
well you both got a point , dont be agressive nova come on chill , luigi has a good stage spike which is bair nova but most of the time luigi has a hard way getting back on stage.... SAFELY, have you guys stage spiked with nado? its actually pretty good against the mother boys when they are looping their thunder offstage. btw i do not see this often , i saw it in a themann video he had a pretty un-orthodox use for the nado , he killed snake ( samurai panda) when he was recovering with the pop up animation , could this be useful in future games ?? or is it just pure win

TheNovaKing

Smash Rookie
It's a simple way to do a jump cancel upsmash, try it.

dash then during the slide hold y+a

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Hyphen Smash is a Dashing uSmash. Due to Luigi's traction, he goes about as far as he does with a DAC (Dash Attack Cancel, you know this one). Simple to pull off. Great effect. We don't need the DAC.

TheNovaKing

Smash Rookie
Why not? It just happens that the timing works out correctly from a DAC your usmash is fully charged.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Why not? It just happens that the timing works out correctly from a DAC your usmash is fully charged.
The way that's phrased, I don't understand what you mean.

I only understood "Why not?" Why not? Because the DAC is considerably trickier to pull off than a Hyphen Smash. Because with Luigi's traction, a Hyphen Smash has about the same effect (if not exactly) as a DAC. Because, compared to other characters, Luigi's Dash Attack will leave you substancially more vulnerable when you fail to perform a DAC. Because both a DAC and Hyphen Smash can be done from a stand-still.

That's pretty much it. Luigi's Hyphen Smash the better alternative to his DAC.

With that said, I haven't done a Jump Canceled uSmash, so I'll withhold judgement for it until then.

EDIT: I jump with Tap Jump. This could be a problem.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace

I only understood "Why not?" Why not? Because the DAC is considerably trickier to pull off than a Hyphen Smash. Because with Luigi's traction, a Hyphen Smash has about the same effect (if not exactly) as a DAC. Because, compared to other characters, Luigi's Dash Attack will leave you substancially more vulnerable when you fail to perform a DAC. Because both a DAC and Hyphen Smash can be done from a stand-still.

With that said, I haven't done a Jump Canceled uSmash, so I'll withhold judgement for it until then.

Tap Jump can be a problem, that's why i took it off for when I play Wario. DACUS isn't worth it with Luigi in my opinion, for all the reasons Elheber said. Its possible with tap jump on think...but with less margin of error.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Tap Jump can be a problem, that's why i took it off for when I play Wario. DACUS isn't worth it with Luigi in my opinion, for all the reasons Elheber said. Its possible with tap jump on think...but with less margin of error.
Yeah, a lot of Luigi tactics are better with tap jump off. Like quick up+b combos, and hyphen smashing, and rising cyclone. I always used the c buttons on SSB 64, the control stick is too crusty and "unsmooth"

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
yeah but tap jump off screws shield game so it really depends on personal preference

TheNovaKing

Smash Rookie

Apologies, I'm relatively new to the terminology. I've been talking about the jump cancel usmash the whole time...

I thought you meant that DAC was the same thing.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
yeah but tap jump off screws shield game so it really depends on personal preference
It does, but most of the time i'd rather drop my shield and do a quick Up angled Fsmash. I find myself using UpB less than usual nowadays, only cause there are safer options.

Btw, anyone who relies on an OOS game needs to be godly in Powershielding. In fact, that goes in general with Luigi, learn how to powershield EVERYTHING, he needs that advantage more so than other characters (except maybe DK).

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Yeeaaaahh. My powershield game has become really good from learing to powershield everything with Luigi. A powershield turns into a free uppercut half the time, its pretty much awesome. Usmash out of shield isnt so bad either I guess ^_^

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Luigi depends on the powershield because he's so slippy. I go for the fastest move out of a shield, so I use an f-smash. Its just less risky than the UpB

Top Bottom