• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some quick questions regarding PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
So I'm considering picking PT up as a secondary, but I'd like to ask some questions about him first, if that's OK.

1) If your Pokemon is fatigued and you need to switch, what move is best with each character to give you enough space to Change without being punished?

2) Is Ivysaur really that bad? People seem to think she's garbage, but apart from her abysmal recovery and vulnerability to fire attacks, she seems to have some potential from what I can see...

3) Which characters do all three Pokemon do badly against (apart from MK obviously)?

4) This one is probably stupid but... if you do, say, Fair with Squirtle, and immediately switch, would Ivysaur's Fair be staled, as well as Squirtle's?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
typh gives you the tl;dr version of my post lol

1) sort of in order of how good they are in both power and usefulness to hit with

Squirtle - DTHROW, fair, dair, dsmash, fsmash, usmash bthrow, uthrow,

Ivysaur - bthrow, uthrow, fsmash, fair, uair, vine whip, usmash if you land it lol

Charizard - dtilt, ftilt, fair, bair, all throws 120+%, all smashes if you land them, basically everything that isn't a jab will give you enough space when you get into kill percents

the important thing to remember is to keep the top moves fresh in case you need to switch. squirtle should never dthrow unless you are going to KO or switch. same with ivy bthrow since the others are much better for follow ups anyway. charizard doesn't really care about saving moves to switch or KO. just hit with something. and knocking them off stage is a big help to switching since it'll take them much longer to get to ya than if they can land and dash up to you.

2) ivysaur probably has the most bad matchups and is the most "difficult" character to learn since its moves are good, but situational. bair isn't the answer to all approaches, you can't spam razor leaf like other projectiles, kill moves are all fairly situational. stuff like that. oh and ivysaur's zoning game is pretty difficult because getting backed up to the corner is bad, off stage is obviously bad, being in the air is generally bad unless you are fending off an approach or approaching a grounded opponent (imo).

3) marth is the worst matchup overall, in my opinion. wario/dedede/snake/falco/gw/diddy (basically top tier and the top of A) beat all three pokemon, with squirtle being even or close to it.

4) nope. everything is refreshed on switch. useful when both your stock and the opponent's have dragged on for a long time and neither can land a kill move.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler

I CAN'T GET IT TO SIT SIDE BY SIDE UGH
this is not spam IT'S ART
anyway, OP, pt isn't really a character that helps you cover any important matchups, but he's fun to play at least. you should try him out

Toby.

Smash Master
...oh god.

i won't be sleeping tonight :(

oh and yeah, OP. Sorry about the whole derailing of your thread. The problem with PT is that he doesn't really counter certain characters any better than most of top or high tier. PT is just at a consistent slight disadvantage. That having been said, pokemon trainer can be an excellent trump card, and the character has a lot to offer in general.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I don't really intend to use him to counter any problematic matchups (if I wanted to do that, I'd pick Meta Knight :laugh:). I just play as whoever I find fun to use, though of course winning is always a good thing too. :bee: And I was getting bored of using the same three characters all the time (Peach, ZSS and Jigglypuff), so I decided to try and pick up two new characters (PT and Toon Link).

BTW, since my questions have been answered, perhaps a moderator could lock it now?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I have an upset stomach and it was making me a bit sick.

I didn't realize what it was at first. I thought it was roots or tentacles...

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
that made me laugh. heh. (the tentacle root part)

my work is done here. not even the mighty reflex can withstand my assault! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom