• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

some of my stuff

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I really like that last one. What program did you use to do those colors? Also like the second one a lot, the detail is great.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Pretty nice work, most notably the 3rd and 4th works down in your first post. Keep up the good work.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master

Woah, fat necks!

This stuff is really good, I like the lighting you're playing around with in some of these, keep that up. The sketchy style is good and all that, but you still seem to be very unconfident with your lines, try doing some stuff with fluid, clean lines rather than the whole feathery edged thing, and work on making your pencil/pen/tablet/whatever strokes longer, keeping it on the paper as long as possible.

Also, from looking at some of these drawings, I think you need to focus more on the actual 3d form of objects, right now you seem to just be drawing what you think is there, and in more of a representative form, rather than thinking about the form and shape of the image and drawing that (eg. drawing "an eye" onto "a face" rather than drawing all of the different folds and layers of skin and different curves, and spherical shape of the eyeball, and how that fits into the skull, etc, which in turn makes an eye as an end result). It's hard to explain, but it's just a different way of thinking about things when you draw.

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
Woah, fat necks!

This stuff is really good, I like the lighting you're playing around with in some of these, keep that up. The sketchy style is good and all that, but you still seem to be very unconfident with your lines, try doing some stuff with fluid, clean lines rather than the whole feathery edged thing, and work on making your pencil/pen/tablet/whatever strokes longer, keeping it on the paper as long as possible.

Also, from looking at some of these drawings, I think you need to focus more on the actual 3d form of objects, right now you seem to just be drawing what you think is there, and in more of a representative form, rather than thinking about the form and shape of the image and drawing that (eg. drawing "an eye" onto "a face" rather than drawing all of the different folds and layers of skin and different curves, and spherical shape of the eyeball, and how that fits into the skull, etc, which in turn makes an eye as an end result). It's hard to explain, but it's just a different way of thinking about things when you draw.
This is the first post in this thread that I appreciate. Thank you for some real critique! :)

mkmelee

Smash Lord
your very talented! keep posting i can't wait to see what or who you draw next! ithink you could get a lot of money drawing portraits!(do you think you could do me if i gave you a pic?)
(but don't show anyone!)
People need to start using the word 'draw' more often.

Nice drawings. I'd have to suggest that you not outline so much in the faces, as it takes away much from the realistic, or at least faithful portrayal of the person. For example your 'boop boop' girl does not appear to be an attempt at a cartooning of the person at all, and yet the shading is unrealistically applied, thus producing an awkward look. Areas where you simply outlined rather than drawing the actual values such as the nose and teeth look quite strange.

Anyways, overall your pieces are nice, and you used quite creative methods to draw portraits.

I just noticed the last image, and I think it's very well done, though some areas such as the hair and shirt feel off in comparison to the face. Good representation of the facial values.

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
People need to start using the word 'draw' more often.

Nice drawings. I'd have to suggest that you not outline so much in the faces, as it takes away much from the realistic, or at least faithful portrayal of the person. For example your 'boop boop' girl does not appear to be an attempt at a cartooning of the person at all, and yet the shading is unrealistically applied, thus producing an awkward look. Areas where you simply outlined rather than drawing the actual values such as the nose and teeth look quite strange.

Anyways, overall your pieces are nice, and you used quite creative methods to draw portraits.

I just noticed the last image, and I think it's very well done, though some areas such as the hair and shirt feel off in comparison to the face. Good representation of the facial values.
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. I think my last portrait is one of my best, and yeah I was lazy about the clothes and hair, and some of the shading on the neck was done too fast.

Top Bottom