• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some More Videos...Update 1/29/07 *VS Falcon*

quak

Smash Champion
and so far, i think my fav matchup is fox. incredibly easy to combo and not alot of pressure. fox doesnt have a projectile that limits mewtwo's movements. drillshine is grabable. fox is also not a challenge when edgeguarding. to me, it looks like a fun matchup. although foxes upthrow to uair is deadly, approaches from both sides are fairly even. i actually think that mewtwo does a better job in approach in this matchup.
oh man, i get dominated, but the combos are fun while they last. Unfortunatley it's not to long seeing how you die from an up smash at 80.

you know, im right now realizing what mookie did a while back. Mewtwo's has a lot of bad matchups :(

technomancer

Smash Champion
C.F. doesn't necessarily **** M2. On Fountain of Dreams and possibly Mute City, it's quite the other way around. M2 can also effectively approach, defend, and annoy with uncharged shadowballs.

For Nair combos, smash DI the second hit of the nair down and away and you should be able to Uair or tech out, depending on %. Same goes for low % uair juggles. Dthrow->knee is very effective however, so pay attention to your %, and don't whiff anything, ever, because that's the Falcon department at J.C. Penny's where asskickings are at a 100% discount. Use your duration moves like Nair and Bair when you can hit a sheild to pressure and try to punish with grabs (that's what you guys do right?).

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I leave for 1/2 a day and post count is through the roof...

"Edit: Dudes, i kinda feel bad for lavagolem, we're supposed to be critiquing his vid, not debating the Mewtwo C.Falcon matchup. Kinda hijacked his thread......"

Don't worry about that, it's better than having 5 posts and the thread dies out like every other one = /

Anyways, continuing on the C. Falcon discussion....

I know that BIRD's Falcon has a TON of work to get done, which is mainly why it's such an easy matchup for me, but when I play O's Falcon it's somehow much harder. I notice that he runs alot more than BIRD. I can't counter attack O like I do to BIRD. Getting to the point, I think one of the reasons why Falcon gives us trouble is his speed, not only his combos. Just look at other matchups, like Bowser/DK vs Falcon. He runs circles around them, so it's hard to place a decent attack, as well as counter attack. I don't really have THAT much experience with Bowser or DK, so pardon me if I'm incorrect. Anyways, DI'ing against Falcon isn't easy, like everyone said. When I used to play him, N/U-Air+Knee spam destroyed floaties. Mewtwo is no exception. But, you have to watch if they get greedy. If they try to get longer combos, I guess some Smash/C-Stick DI and using the control stick for a quick Up-B Teleport behind them could save you. For the short and sweet ones, just hope that you don't die...Not much else to say.

Oh, and on countering Falcon's approachals, Disable does indeed work. However, if they have perfect spacing, I think it falls a little too short. SB spam works to an extent, but once they figure out how to shrug off those SB's with a well placed N-Air or Knee, forget about it. Tilt's work sometimes, I find that angling the F-Tilt a little upwards can interrupt his N-Air approach. If you can react quickly enough, a well place WD backwards(to make them miss) and them perfect WD forward again can give you an opening. =_= I'm tired now, so I'm gonna stop this long post, I'll edit tomorrow if I can. There's just a little left that I have to say. lol Maybe Quak can use this thread in his character matchup section for his guide = P

Pdiz

Smash Apprentice
although foxes upthrow to uair is deadly, approaches from both sides are fairly even./QUOTE]

This is a HUUUUGE understatement. That upthrow is one of the major reasons why fox destroys mewtwo... and lets not forget that upsmash or shine. I used to think fox was mewtwo's best matchup.... and then I played Silentwolf.... yeah... And besides, a decent fox player can easily up throw to uair a mewtwo. It's just one of those things where you're boned, unless I there away to escape them I don't know about.

Have you ever played silentwolf Airo?

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
oh.... i watched him play at my tournament ._." and never had the opportunity to play friendlies with him.

but i play ryan's all the time... he is number one in BC, next to hitsuguya and eric. he had UBER close matches with silentwolf.

and against ryan's fox, i usually die at 1 or 2 stock.. which i am satisfied with ._."

---------

i hope you didnt misunderstand what i meant by approach, your respond didnt really address their approaches which worries me.

my analysis are all based on my experiences around BC players, and occasional Washington players. so idano..

from my experience, spacing and dtilts/grabs are not too challenging to land. once i get my combo starter, i combo as much as i can. once the damage is decent, dtilt to fair or bthrow to edgeguard are primary killers.

the only problem in the matchup is that fox grabs to uairs are next to inescapable and kill at low 80%

Pdiz

Smash Apprentice
i hope you didnt misunderstand what i meant by approach, your respond didnt really address their approaches which worries me.
/QUOTE]

Hmmm I'm not quite sure I follow... As for approache go, a good fox can pretty much drills shine and waveshine and grab once he's in as much as he pleases. I not so great fox can get shield grab pretty easily if they miss the lcancel. So as far as I'm concerned that's a solid approach for fox. Also the second you miss with a nair fox can come running in with an usmash which sucks...

Mewtwo has some good approaches on fox as well, namely the wavedash to dtilt and backwards shadow ball charge to grab. And yeah you can get some combos off on fox and kill him. But fox is just tooo **** fast and has that 1 frame shine, and simply kills you faster at much faster rate.

From my experience, if you aren't able to shield grab the fox, you have very little chance of winning.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well I was having this discussion with Taj a while back and I would like to talk about soft and hard shield for a second. i find that against drill shining space animals and C.falcon that SOFT shield is a viable idea. Now before i get flammed hear me out. M2 has the 3rd best WD in the game and thus the kat is quite "slippery". When You apply soft shield and you are hit by a high power/ high velocity move ie. Falcon soring right through you with nair you will simply slide with him and this allows for an easy shield grab. If you want the extreame example be yoshi and put on light shield and have jiggles rest you. Watch what happens. While this isn't going to work 100% of the time, with proper spaceing and coaxing the falcon into nairing it can be a possible stratagy. either way falcon is just so much faster than m2!! so trying for the spacing can be quite dificult. I am going to be at a tourny in march, I think that tapion is going to be there so ill try to get a vid up of a really good C.falcon.

Now about this little fox disscussion we are having on the side, I love playing fox and falco. yes i know that it sounds crazy but i really do. m2 can combo the living crap out of space animals at low percents ie. 30%and below. Ie Uthrow-Slap-slap-slap-Dsmash whatever. And at higher percents Dtilt to more Dtilt or slap is a nother viable option. Unless the player has alot of experience playing M2 he will have no idea how to DI. Pdiz is right, shield grab is a must against fox and falco. However if you are playing a skilled player that rarely misses the L-cancle yoiu will eat shine. To counter that just nair out of your shield, or WD out of shield, or soft shield. It works. Other than that out spacing fox is definatly a possiblility, WD backwards to grab can be a decent stratagy. In my opinion I would rather play a space animal than Jiggs any day of the week. Well that's just my opinion

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
the only problem in the matchup is that fox grabs to uairs are next to inescapable and kill at low 80%
I believe the same goes for the U-Smash. I remember losing my last stock to Doodah's Fox from an Up-Smash at around high 70 to low 80% on PKMN Stadium.

Oh, and about the Up-B to U-Air, it's just a simple jump to U-Air right after the spike.

On the light shielding, doesn't it take more stun, so you sometimes can't move out of it quick enough? When I play my brother's Link, after a F-Smash(both swipes), I find it harder to strike back when I light shield. Even if I WD out of the shield, he can sometimes pop in a quick aerial.

Pdiz

Smash Apprentice
Hmm I haven't really experimented with hard and light shielding... that might be something I want to give a try.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
I really don't know how much valitity it has to it. But I can for sure tell you that with a light shield on you will definatly slide further. idk It's a great way to escape infanate drill shine combos or drill shine

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
This seems like something that could definitely work. What I'm concerned about is the possibility of the increased lagtime cancelling any benefits. I'll be able to test this out during the weekend.

Top Bottom