• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some general tips to help please =)

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Over there! no, no, the one on the left or is it t
Hi I'm new to the game (first smash game ever!) and boards, but I can use Zelda effectively like using Farore's Wind in 16 directions pretty easily sometimes I misjudge the distance =3, knowing when to harass with Din's Fire, using her smashes well, using her aerials right (i can sweetspot pretty often), using her tilts to mess up the timing and using her throws effectively and of course I use her neutral and dash attacks as well.

But my question is this, I'm entering a tournament tomorrow, the rules are:

4 Players Per Match
Time Matches
2:00 Time Limit
Items On (Medium)
Random Stages

So how should I deal with people in a FFA, besides abusing Din's Fire? I would like to make it to the Semi-Finals at least=3

EDIT: Normally I would ask Darkmusician on what to do but since he's most likely asleep I would like to ask the other veterans or anyone in general who has alot of experience in fighting FFAs.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Up smash, a lot.

Note: I am not a zelda player and am terrible at FFAs with a character that is overpowered in FFAs, just a warning.

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'll be sure to incorporate that alot in my game tomorrow.

Oh yeah Rykoshet I have seen your Ike videos, I like your videos and your Ike (because I main Ike too but he will get punished in a FFA, trust me I've tried =()

P.S I'll check tomorrow early morning because i know most of America will be asleep as to Australia

Siyro

Smash Journeyman
I learnt how to play Zelda back when Melee was the most recent game. Although I mained Samus back in melee, i learnt Zelda just as a side so I could say I could effectivly play an uder-used character (Zelda was considered as one of the worse characters back then).

In my opinion Zelda has become easier to play in Brawl and has now become my main character.

Here is my Rundown on Zelda
Special moves...
- Dins fire is effective to give damage but in a free for all can be tricky to abuse.
- Naruy's Love is a great defence when used well. Use it as if you would Marth's counter, But do not abuse this. People will catch on and learn how to avoid it then attack when you are vunerable.
- Farore's Wind has improved, As it now attacks on entry and exit it can be used to attack if needed, but really only use it to recover.

Ground game...
-Her standard A is a great get off me move, use it well.
-Her up and across strong attacks get them in the air, so if you think you can get the kill from a lightning kick, go for one of those strongs.
-Down strong is great at tripping, so use it where you can for an quick advantage.
-Her Up and across smashes have dis-jointed hit boxes and can bring people in as well as being powerful, great attacks that can always be used.
-Down smash, a great quick both direction attack, great to use after trippping your opponent from down strong.
-Dash attack, In melee this move could be consectutivly hit them with this if they failed to tech, however in Brawl it just makes a great get away from me move.

Airial game...
-Forward and back air are great to obtain a K.O. so if you see the oppertunity, take it.
-Down airis a great spike, however slightly difficult to sweet spot in the middle of a free for all.
-Up air has a decent range and will K.O. vertically, with ease.
-Nuetral is a lenghty move that provides an effective defence. If you do not think you will get a lightning kick in, stick with a nuetral

To summarise, Zelda has a much better ground game then airial. If your airials miss it can leave you wide open, so try to stick to the ground until you see an oppertunity in the air.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Zelda's moves change quite significantly depending on her position relative to other players.

I always feel it is best to focus on one player at the beginning. Make SURE you keep an eye on the damage of other players. Learn to sweetspot well, and create set ups. I'll go over a few suggestions later on. Matches or not won by style or who inflicts the most damage/recieves the least. Stealing kills, while irritating to others, is crucial to owning the match.

Spacing

When Zelda is far from other characters, the only move she can do is Din. Her approach is not the strongest, but it's not the worst. Do 2 Dins from a distance if you get the chance. It's likely someone will assume you intend to spam, and charge at you in a senseless rage. Be prepared with a smash attack, or if they're near 40%, a d-tilt lock.

Most of the time, Zelda will want to be mid-range. This gives her a lot of opportunities. Her smash attacks, and forward/up tilts keep her quite protected, since they form barriers between her body and incoming attacks. Hyphen-Smashes (Dash and quickly hit (or charge) c-stick Up). This is a great way to make an entrance and break up a crowd:

If they're at low percentages, try to get a f-air or b-air in.
At mid percentages, try juggling with another U-smash, U-air or just space yourself while you have the time.
At higher percentages, send out a Din their way. Detonate it before they have a chance to land, so as not to leave yourself open to attack.
(These are just suggestions. If you have your own style, that's totally fine.)

Her Fsmash, Dsmash and tilts have little range.

D-smash is good for getting out of a busy situation. Use it to break all the characters, and then home in on the most damaged one.

F-smashes, possibly followed by dash attacks and/or Usmashes are good for safely accumulating damage.

These two are probably some of her fastest attacks. If you see an attack coming from a slower opponent, and you feel like you can't dodge, break their attacks with one of these, or Nayru's Love. Preferably a smash, though.

Set-ups

Zelda is all about getting her opponents where she wants them to be. She has a couple of moves that can help you here.

D-tilt is probably your safest bet. Keep it going, and finish off with a D-smash near an edge. Practice your spikes and get them while they recover.

If you're off the stage, make SURE you know the distance Farore's Wind will take you, and try to strike occupied edge-guarding opponents. This will knock them off the edge, and again set up for a spike. This is easy to block, though, so it is very situational.

The same goes for a Din while recovering from above. It can knock people into the air while keeping Zelda protected, which can then be easily followed by a Usmash, and possibly a lightning kick. I wouldn't recommend this for 4 player matches, but if it comes in handy, then by all means...

Din can be used in the same way from the ground, which is probably a safer bet. Send it out to a falling/recovering enemy, and detonate early. Go in for whichever aerial is best suited if they are open after air-dodging.

------------

Hmm. Zelda can be played in a lot of different ways. She is very much a situational character. Watch some videos on youtube, or look in the Zelda Archive topic for some good videos and see what to do when. That will probably help the most.

Overall, you'll find the moves you use most are:

Usmash, F-smash, Din's Fire, All aerials except neutral, D-smash, D-tilt, Farore's Wind.

Nayru's Love is a little pointless if you don't need to reflect projectiles.
Her u-tilts and f-tilts are definitely strong, but there is a lot of start up time for which pre-punishing is invited.
Her neutral air can be used well if you fast-fall it. I'm still getting used to it, so others may disagree, but I think it doesn't do a great job protecting Zelda.

Well, that's all I guess. Goodluck. Tell us how it goes.

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, these will surely help me , I was wondering though would it be safe to do a d-tilt lock in an FFA, I use it whenever fighting my friend and the opportunity arises because he seems to think that I only use smashes, but generally I could get away with 3-5 hits right?

Nayru's Love, its similar to her d-smash but it lasts longer, but it has more ending lag although its a good and it also lets me control my opposition's placement, I also use her n-air for when I see two people with me so i can hit both and hit one or both if I am lucky with a falling Din's Fire (they never expect it =3)

Also can someone explain to me how to DI better, also what the difference with DI and SDI, because no one in Melbourne knows how to DI except me but I'm not very good at it, only thing Darkmusician told me is to DI up and away if it is a multi-hitting attack (like Zelda's u-smash and f-smash) and if is a single hitting attack (Like Ike's and Toon Link's (which are also both my mains) u-smash ) to DI either diagonally or to the side, generally.

Siyro

Smash Journeyman
You can probably get away with a couple of hits on the down strong lock, But that doesn't mean you can't get more. If you decide to do it, keep an eye on everyone, and give plenty of time for escape if another player Tries to capitalise on it.

Siyro

Smash Journeyman
Well I do not have much more advice really, DI is something that comes to me at the time when i need it and I have no idea what SDI is.

Iwould love to enter a tournament, I think i'm a pretty good player and i want to put mt skills to the test

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
One more thing.

Familiarize yourself with the Love Jump. (When in the tumbling animation, after getting hit, hit jump and then immediately hit B, and she will rise about the height of a double jump, with her third jump remaining). Note, you can also hit left or right when you hit jump, but make sure you RELEASE it before hitting B or you're screwed.

Anyway, you can use this to avoid some nasty missed-ledge self-KOs.

A lot of people seem to overlook this. It is a great tool for recovering safely. Just make sure you wait until you're a safe distance away. Zelda is never stop tumbling unless you press something or she hits something.

At high enemy percentages, you can use this to wait for invincibility frames to disappear if they're edge-hogging, and then swoop in with a surprise FW to kill.

Again, don't do this if you're not completely comfortable with the timing and everything.

I have no idea what an SDI is.

Anyway, Darkmusician is right. From what I've seen, some multi-hitters require you to DI towards them, and some are up, up and away. The only other reason for doing it is to not fly off the screen, so, basically, hold the opposite direction you're flying.

Siyro

Smash Journeyman
Wow, i'm gunna have to learn the love jump, i had no idea it existed. Well Basically there is the well known DI of moving back into the stage after being launched so you do not get sent as far. Then with multiple hit attacks such as the '100 slash attack' (Falco) etc, Just up and away from the character but that has all been said.

I'm a (text removed by Siyro 17/7/2008), my Code is 5198-3995-1248. I'm more of a 4-stock no item smash player but i change it up everynow and then. What is your code?

Top Bottom