• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soft C button???

AndersonSilva

Smash Rookie
I know there's another C button post under mine but this is a different topic. I started playing online recently and I've noticed that some people have a very easy time short hopping, while my short hopping skills are pretty much non existent. I use a N64 adapter and it may be that I'm just not doing it right and everyone else dominates, but today I was playing a regular NES emulator and it had a soft a and b button, which you would push if you wanted a smaller jump. I was wondering if there are any controller plugins that have a soft c button... not that I want a cheating advantage or something, it just seems like something that's already out there by the way everyone's short hopping around no problem. Well I appreciate it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Nobody is using a "soft c button", it's just pretty easy to people who are used to it. Even though it may seem really hard at first, practice and try to use it in real matches, and you'll be short-hopping consistently in no time. Trust me, short-hopping is easy to learn and everybody gets used to it.

Dan$inyi

Smash Apprentice
Mindlessly practice short hopping in training mode for an hour. Then try using it in an online match. Youll notice that you get a little better at it every match.

rpotts

Smash Lord
yea and short jumping in mario bros is way easier than in ssb, by the way. You have to press c for 7 frames or less (10 with link), oh that's a good idea. Practice with link, his pre-jump animation is the longest in ssb, making it easiest to short hop with him. Don't get to used to him (unless you main him) because you might have a hard time jc usmashing with other chars.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
just tap the button quickly
This

I also recommend short hopping with characters who are slightly easier to short hop with first, such as Link or Falcon. Stay away from overly floaty characters to help you learn (such as Samus, Jiggs, or Luigi) as they are harder to short hop with

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
lolwut, dashing upsmash is a jump cancel upsmash....
i use it often
How is it a jump cancel upsmash if there's no jump? Wouldn't that just be called dashing upsmash? And yes it's useful. Especially with fox with the deadly jab to dash upsmash and such.

DMoogle

A$
I might be wrong, but I think the way the game interprets it is: when dashing or shielding, you cannot up-smash or up-B, but you can jump. However, once you start a jump, you're not considered to be dashing or shielding, but you haven't left the ground for the jump yet, so basically you're just standing. But, during this time, you CAN cancel the jump and attack with an up-smash or up-B. So basically, when you up-B or up-smash out of a shield or dash, the game just thinks you're jumping, then changing your mind and attacking. Thus, from a technical standpoint, it could be considered a jump cancel up-smash/up-B.

There's a flaw with this analysis though: when you're in this "lift-off mode," I can't think of any reason why you're limited to only up-smashes and up-Bs. IMO, you should be able to do any move in those few frames.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
lolwut, dashing upsmash is a jump cancel upsmash....
i use it often
I just considered it a dashing upsmash, since that's the input you input on the controller, jumping or not.

There's a flaw with this analysis though: when you're in this "lift-off mode," I can't think of any reason why you're limited to only up-smashes and up-Bs. IMO, you should be able to do any move in those few frames.
Time to test some things in practice mode.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
It's considered a jump when you smash up with your stick during a dashing upsmash/upb.

Try to do a dashing (or shielding) up b by tilting the stick. It doesn't work. You have to smash the stick up (to start a jump) to do an upb.

Also A$ they probably programmed the game so that you can't do any moves in the pre-jump animation except for upsmash and upb because you might accidently smash the stick upwards while trying to do these anyway. You kinda have to start a jump every time you upsmash for example.

rpotts

Smash Lord
yea, ballin4life gets it. That is jc upsmash, not like a jump out shine like i think stormcow may have interpted it. just as in melee you can jc grab, the upwards movement from pushing the stick for upsmash creates the pre-jump animation, in which you can jc upsmash.

And for the discussion about why you can only do certain moves: you can also neutral b at any time including during a dash

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Makes sense. I interpreted it that way, just didn't know it was still considered a jump cancel. A$ explanation is pretty clear. The fox combo I was referring to is where you jab any number of times and do an initial dash to upsmash, which would be jump cancelling in order to do the upsmash to finish the combo. One of the most deadly low-mid percentage killing combos in the game probably.

rpotts

Smash Lord
The fox combo I was referring to is where you jab any number of times and do an initial dash to upsmash, which would be jump cancelling in order to do the upsmash to finish the combo. One of the most deadly low-mid percentage killing combos in the game probably.

wtf jab->usmash doesn't work at low percent?!? :confused:

and yea I knew exactly which combo you were talking about, lol

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Well.. not low percentage :0
I should have said mid. It kills if you're at like 80-90% (after the attacks) which is fairly low to die at. I used the fox combo examply cuz it's one of the harder to escape. Unless you're one of the beefier characters like dk you can die at percentages that you don't want to be dieing at :)

the cap

Smash Cadet
I have a question...I consider myself to be a pretty good smash player (I beat everyone i play on the console and i am getting use to online play), but i do not use the c-buttons... Cuz i just use the joy stick and i am really good with that, Am i at a big disadvantage? And can using it really improve my game to a different level?

DMoogle

A$
I find it very difficult to do any jumps with the joystick other than a maximum height jump (which is what I use them for). The ease and variety of heights that you can get with the c-buttons make those my jump button of choice.

Kilo16

Smash Rookie
I have a question...I consider myself to be a pretty good smash player (I beat everyone i play on the console and i am getting use to online play), but i do not use the c-buttons... Cuz i just use the joy stick and i am really good with that, Am i at a big disadvantage? And can using it really improve my game to a different level?
I have recently (actually yesterday) switched to button jump in brawl after playing joystick jump thru 64 and melee and i did so for 1 reason...i realized im missing all my tilt moves because i couldnt train my hands to differ between tilts and tap jumps...as for sh and full jumps while using tap jump...i had nooo problem...saldy tho...ive got to untrain myself from the tap jump.

So in summary:
1. U shouldnt have trouble sh and full hopping with tap jump in ANY of the games
2. Using tap jump does make it more difficult to pull of tilts

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Try getting used to the c buttons, and using the stick mainly for directional input. The c buttons allow you more precise shorthopping (you can be inputting a direction before/as you do your jump) and jumping in general. Also, if you ever play as yoshi or ness, you'll need to use the c buttons for djc if you want to play those characters to their potential.

the cap

Smash Cadet
I know this might sound stupid, but I am just trying to get better at short hops...So in order to do short hops i just lightly tap on the c-button/lightly press it? Do i need to press down on the joy stick right away to cancel some of the hieght? Also which characters is it most vital to use the c-buttons in order to do short hops?

Also Kilo16, Thanks for your help, I have noticed that my tilts miss sometimes when i think they should hit/or i jump cuz i press too hard. Though I just ordered some new controllers and some joy stick replacement parts, cuz my controller joysticks are worn down a lot, so i am hoping that will help some.

And if anyone has some advice for me tonight about a 12 character match against my friend who just uses Falcon it would be greatly appreciated. He is aggressive and throws a lot, but he can also combo and can be defensive when he is losing/sometimes he camps on the sides or near the **** tent to trap me and get me off the edge....I am playing as everyone and i stated i could beat him with 8 out of the 12. I am 100% sure about my falcon vs his, also kirby, samus and mario. But if anyone has some quick tips on how to deal with an agrressive falcon, that would be great.

And thank you to Dmoogle and Stormcrow2

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
its not about the pressure on the cbutton but how fast it pressed then released
see my other post
try to **** with the falcon by faking approach then backin out constantly
try link to spam bombs and boomerang to disuise whatu want to do

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Cap: like Ghllie said, its never about how hard it's pressed, only how long it is pressed. Think about it as tapping the button, as opposed to "lightly pressing" it. You can either tap the button, or slide your thumb off the button as you're pressing it, quickly. See what works for you. Practicing shorthopping will help against that falcon user. You don't want to spend all game high jumping and getting easily uair comboed. Short hopping and attacking low will also help if the falcon user spams dash and grabs. Also, like he said, link's bombs would be good because falcon is a tall character and moves very quickly, often more quickly than they realize. He'll probably move right into some of your projectiles.

Top Bottom