• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ok. Those are all fair complaints. But this still doesn’t tell me that they’re greedy douchebags who want to trick consumers out of their money like Gwen suggested.

Also, didn’t they shut down the creators program and stop harassing youtubers?

And I never heard that high voltage story. I thought Splatoon was the idea of a bunch of young animal crossing devs.
I think Youtubers may still have trouble using their music in vids, though idk about gameplay; likely not, I guess.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They are though, they're just better than others, but still ****.

After MANY protests that went on for a year or two last I checked. If that makes Nintendo friendly then Sony was being extra nice when they chose to stop locking Fortnite accounts.
And I still don’t see any evidence to that. But this is something you are clearly very passionate about so I’ll stop poking the bear.

And like, aren’t people allowed to apologize and make up for a mistake? Try to change? Because I for one do not want to live in a world where one uneducated mistake makes you the evilest person on the planet.

Shroob

Sup?
We definitely need better laws against loot boxes and Gatcha mechanics. This I will absolutely not fight anyone on.

Honestly, looking at Nintendo’s practices on mobile compared to other platforms.... it almost feels like we’re talking about two different companies. Like, you were able to name a couple Nintendo micro transaction games on Switch and 3DS.... but those are so small and mostly unknown that they’re basically harmless, if still made with malicious intent.
When games like Fate/Grand Order and Monster Strike rake in hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars a year, it was really only a matter of time til Nintendo decided to dip their hand in the pot.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think Youtubers may still have trouble using their music in vids, though idk about gameplay; likely not, I guess.
As far as I’ve seen, post change in policy, they’ve only ever gone after youtubers who just upload rips of their songs with no transformative element. Which is within their right as copyright holders. Wish they made their music available for purchase elsewhere, but whatever. Tis what i’tis.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It says a whole lot when one of Sony's biggest money makers is a mobile game, to the point it's started being part of their financial showcases and trade shows.

I just wonder how long it'll take before, if ever, regulations get slapped on these kinda games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
C'mon, Gwen. You're not being *told* to do anything. They're providing an option for you, an informed consumer, to take or leave. You know that.

Buying the pass instead of buying each individually will save you a whopping $6 for the next two years if you buy in rather than getting characters one-at-a-time. The pass is there for people who know they're going to get all six anyway, such as competitors, tourney organizers or people who just want access to every character.

This is like an ant hill amidst a range of mountains.
Again, I'm aware that there are significantly worse issues, I'm just saying that mystery DLC is a rather unfriendly practiseOh
I mean, all gacha are predatory, and by extension, gambling.

If I had it my way, I'd slap a big +18 rating on it because, it's gambling, but we're not, who was it, Denmark?

I'm not saying it's not predatory, trust me, I play FGO, I know how ****ed **** is, but there's not a whole lot that can be done unless there's a law passed.
Oh I'm aware you agree, I was just listing an example of an irl friend of mine suffering because of good old Nintendo's predatory bull****
And I still don’t see any evidence to that. But this is something you are clearly very passionate about so I’ll stop poking the bear.

And like, aren’t people allowed to apologize and make up for a mistake? Try to change? Because I for one do not want to live in a world where one uneducated mistake makes you the evilest person on the planet.
There's a significant difference between a 'mistake' and a deliberate action. A mistake is for example, giving you the wrong order at a restaurant. What you're calling a mistake is more along the lines of taking an order of a sandwich at a restaurant, charging more for the sandwich than what's on the menu, charging for reservations that were never made and charging for meals that were never ordered and demanding that you pay on the spot before calling the police. If the first were to happen to me and I got an apology, I'd take it, a simple mistake. The second is trying to rip me off and intimidate me for something I didn't do, if I got an apology for that, I wouldn't accept it as they threatened me, tried to con me, tried to publically humiliate me, etc

Shroob

Sup?
The year is 2025

Sakurai has stepped down from making video games

Nintendo at E3

Unveils a new Smash

....For the phone

With gacha elements

1579579659841.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And they shut it down. They realized their mistake and are fixing it. Nobody is NEVER gonna **** up a few times. That doesn’t make them evil.
If this was an accident, it would be a mistake. Demanding you take down all your videos and earn significantly less money to earn the right to Nintendo videos where every video you make every again needs to be pre-approved isn't a mistake

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Talk of regulations on gacha games reminds me of when Belgium ****ing suplexed EA after they broke their gambling laws. Good times.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Topic DROPPED. If there’s anything I’ve learned from being on Smashboards is that the only person who’s worse to talk to when they feel very passionately about a problem then me is Gwen.

Shroob

Sup?
Tbh, I'm surprised Dragalia is as it is.

Cygame's flagship game, Granblue, is stupidly generous and 'consumer friendly' compared to it. It still has the scummy gacha elements, but they also give out so much free **** that the game's usually in the lower end of sales since, there's just no 'real' reason to spend. It's kinda like that one boat girl game from what I've heard where basically no one pays for the gacha because they just vomit free **** at you.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
TBH, I consider FEH a 'good' gacha, as ****ed as that is.

As someone who plays 2, but doesn't play FEH, the fact that the 5* Rate increases as you pull is kinda something that I wish they'd incorporate in more of these kinda games.

What's BAD about FEH is the fact that every unit basically has natures from Pokemon, so pulling a unit which is, say, a damage dealer, only to find out they're -Attack is dreadful.
Dragalia Lost is also very F2P friendly, in fact someone did a count and the game allowed for 3184 free summons since its launch up to December 31st of last year, and that's not including the free summon tickets and wyrmite that drop randomly during events, or that they sometimes just give players free 5 Star Adventurer and Dragons.

Honestly, the only bad Gacha Nintendo really has is Mario Kart Tour. FEH and Dragalia Lost to their credit do try to allow F2P players to have the best circumstances to enjoy the game without spending.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Dragalia Lost is also very F2P friendly, in fact someone did a count and the game allowed for 3184 free summons since its launch up to December 31st of last year, and that's not including the free summon tickets and wyrmite that drop randomly during events.

Honestly, the only bad gacha Nintendo really has is Mario Kart Tour. FEH and Dragalia Lost do try to allow F2P players to have the best circumstances to enjoy the game without spending, and don't just exist to leech off whales.
I'm kinda biased against Dragalia if only because I play Granblue.

Granblue is stupidly generous to the point that it's regularly in the bottom of the sales charts for mobile games.

That and, unlike most of these games, if there's a character you want, you have a 100% chance of just getting them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Topic DROPPED. If there’s anything I’ve learned from being on Smashboards is that the only person who’s worse to talk to when they feel very passionately about a problem then me is Gwen.
If you're gonna put me on blast for not tolerating "Cancel culture is so bad because people didn't forgive Nintendo for having total control of their youtube channels" then I'm ****ing done with this horse****

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm kinda biased against Dragalia if only because I play Granblue.

Granblue is stupidly generous to the point that it's regularly in the bottom of the sales charts for mobile games.

That and, unlike most of these games, if there's a character you want, you have a 100% chance of just getting them.
Funny thing about that, many Dragalia Lost players feel Cygames is too generous with it as well. Their monetization method doesn't allow them to get as much revenue as it would its greedier counterparts as their F2P characters are very useable in endgame content and they shower you with enough wyrmite and building materials that you don't have to spend a dime to get anywhere.

Really, between what you tell me on Granblue and what I've seen of DL it seems in general Cygames is just ridiculously generous. For a company based around a questionable at best monetization method they don't seem to like just squeezing the money out of their playerbase, they actually care about their F2P players and giving a fun experience first and foremost.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I started playing DMC3. Here are my thoughts.

-I like the gameplay, but it's tough.
-Dante is a cool dude. F to his pizza shop.
-This is the first game I've ever played on a Playstation console, so I'm not used to the controls. It's closer to Xbox controls than Nintendo controls, so that's an extra bit of muscle memory I need to adjust to.

Overall: It's a good game (from the first ~30 minuites I played).
You can do it. Become the wacky Pizza Man you were destined to be.

Shroob

Sup?
Funny thing about that, many Dragalia Lost players feel Cygames is too generous with it as well. Their monetization method doesn't allow them to get as much revenue as it would its greedier counterparts as their F2P characters are very useable in endgame content and they shower you with enough wyrmite and building materials that you don't have to spend a dime to get anywhere.

Really, between what you tell me on Granblue and what I've seen of DL it seems in general Cygames is just ridiculously generous. For a company based around a questionable at best monetization method they don't seem to like just squeezing the money out of their playerbase, they actually care about their F2P players.
Yes and no, to put it as simply as I can.

It's a bit difficult.

Granblue, for example, the literal best characters in the game are completely f2p since they focus around 100% farm content, something which you can't pay to speed up, making them exclusively F2P, and simply time gated by certain bi-monthly events.

If you want to 'whale' though, that's a different beast entirely.

Granblue allows you to play all content as F2P, which is what I've been doing and have done, but they offer 'stronger' alternatives via the gacha... just you can't 'spark' those, spark being the term where if you roll a certain amount of times at once, the game stops you and just 'gives' you what you want. You can get characters, but the summons, which are where your power lies, are unsparkable.

There 'is' discrepancy since the whales are separate from the F2P in granblue, it's just that there's no "Whales only" content. You 'can' do everything in Granblue as F2P, it's just you have to be willing to grind, and there's no "Pay to speed up" mechanic there.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don't think we'll get fighter 6 til e3, but i'd love to be wrong. Also what's this i'm hearing about Crash?
There is a seemingly legit leaker from twitter who leaked Byletth in October and a few other things gs. They’ve only posted when they have been sure of their info and they said crash is fighter six and will be revealed soon after Byleth back in October as well. With them being rig by they are saying they don’t know anything else currently and won’t report more until crash is revealed. They seem pretty promising so a lot of people are keeping an eye on them.

Their twitter bio is also **** vergeben which is hilarious
Just because it's better doesn't ignore the fact it still has VERY predatory **** that was deliberately put in, I personally know a friend who ended up whaling hard on Heroes and her parents had to take away her phone, she's much better now but it still targeted her and abused a potential gambling addiction that bypasses the law on a technicality
If your friend had these tendencies to begin with, why would they be allowed access to this?

And Heroes gives a **** Ton of orbs, and the f2p units are honestly better then most other ones and can win you anything g. It’s not that hard to save and get what you want. The game doesn’t even push orb sales, There is a once a month notification of promos.

So tbh I think that’s on the person more then Nintendo but that’s just my opinion. I’m also pretty damn sure that money IS made at least went into three houses partially if I had to guess.

Now Mario Kart Tour on the other hand that shoves a character pack in your face every time you log in is pretty bad and predatory. Especially when you can’t be f2p and do well in it.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
As someone who plays 2, but doesn't play FEH, the fact that the 5* Rate increases as you pull is kinda something that I wish they'd incorporate in more of these kinda games.
Eh the "pity rate" is overrated, It boosts your chances by such a small amount that it hardly even matters.

If anything it's part of the gacha trap. "Oh no that banner ends in two days, I better buy more orbs so that my .5% pity rate doesn't go to waste".

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If you're gonna put me on blast for not tolerating "Cancel culture is so bad because people didn't forgive Nintendo for having total control of their youtube channels" then I'm ****ing done with this horse****
I’m just saying that when you feel something is bad, and other people don’t feel as strongly about it as you do, or don’t agree with you, you become very aggressive and not fun to talk to.

And yes, I know I’m one to talk.

Shroob

Sup?
Eh the "pity rate" is overrated, It boosts your chances by such a small amount that it hardly even matters.

If anything it's part of the gacha trap. "Oh no that banner ends in two days, I better buy more orbs so that my .5% pity rate doesn't go to waste".
To be honest, anything would be better in FGO than the 1% 5* rate it so proudly says it has. :drshrug:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There is a seemingly legit leaker from twitter who leaked Byletth in October and a few other things gs. They’ve only posted when they have been sure of their info and they said crash is fighter six and will be revealed soon after Byleth back in October as well. With them being rig by they are saying they don’t know anything else currently and won’t report more until crash is revealed. They seem pretty promising so a lot of people are keeping an eye on them.

Their twitter bio is also **** vergeben which is hilarious

If your friend had these tendencies to begin with, why would they be allowed access to this?

And Heroes gives a **** Ton of orbs, and the f2p units are honestly better then most other ones and can win you anything g. It’s not that hard to save and get what you want. The game doesn’t even push orb sales, There is a once a month notification of promos.

So tbh I think that’s on the person more then Nintendo but that’s just my opinion. I’m also pretty damn sure that money IS made at least went into three houses partially if I had to guess.

Now Mario Kart Tour on the other hand that shoves a character pack in your face every time you log in is pretty bad and predatory. Especially when you can’t be f2p and do well in it.
Because gambling like that always manages to find it's way somewhere when left unregulated, especially as she had no prior problem with gambling. The entire point of gachas is to take as much money from people by going "Oh, well you don't HAVE to. You just might miss out on the thing you want". CTR is especially ****ing awful with this as the fact that it was added in a patch means the box case won't warn parents or other general consumers about the fact microtransactions are in the game

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also a reveal at E3 makes no damn sense.

Your telling me that 3 out of six fighters are getting revealed with five months left in the year and released? Because otherwise year two would have 4 or more character releases and that is not happen.

We get the reveal soon and first character in May. Two revealed at E3 and released June and December.

Like there is no way the first reveal is E3 that’s too short a schedule

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yes and no, to put it as simply as I can.

It's a bit difficult.

Granblue, for example, the literal best characters in the game are completely f2p since they focus around 100% farm content, something which you can't pay to speed up, making them exclusively F2P, and simply time gated by certain bi-monthly events.

If you want to 'whale' though, that's a different beast entirely.

Granblue allows you to play all content as F2P, which is what I've been doing and have done, but they offer 'stronger' alternatives via the gacha... just you can't 'spark' those, spark being the term where if you roll a certain amount of times at once, the game stops you and just 'gives' you what you want. You can get characters, but the summons, which are where your power lies, are unsparkable.

There 'is' discrepancy since the whales are separate from the F2P in granblue, it's just that there's no "Whales only" content. You 'can' do everything in Granblue as F2P, it's just you have to be willing to grind, and there's no "Pay to speed up" mechanic there.
Hm, so if I understand correctly the F2P options are solid and completely able to carry the Endgame content for players, but if you want an 'easier' time the Gacha exists to provide you with that option? I can see how that can be exploited since the desire to lower or outright skip tedium will always be there, but at least those who are willing to stick with it are still rewarded for their efforts rather then feeling like they're completely suffocated if they don't pay up.

Shroob

Sup?
Hm, so if I understand correctly the F2P options are solid and completely able to carry the Endgame content for players, but if you want an 'easier' time the Gacha exists to provide you with that option? I can see how that can be exploited since the desire to lower or outright skip tedium will always be there, but at least those who are willing to stick with it are still rewarded for their efforts rather then feeling like they're completely suffocated if they don't pay up.
More or less yes.

It's difficult to explain unless you know how the game's mechanics work, but think of it this way:

If you're F2P, every 2-3 years, they add a new set of 6 bosses that each drop weapons at about a 3% drop chance, you'll be farming multiple copies of these weapons to use, and because you have to play all 6 of the game's elements, even whales have to, you'll be farming for... a long time.

All players can do all content, hell I've solo'd the 2nd hardest boss in the game as F2P and now I have it on farm.

But there's definitely a time vs effort debate here.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
What a pleasant time of the Earth's rotation on its axis also known as day, biological organisms which are descendant of the great apes as am I. I am genuinely interested in listening to you discuss your current feelings and emotions, as well as what you wish to accomplish during this day?

(Morning guys!)

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Seriously I'm having spontaneous cravings of Chinese food. I mean over in UK you have a far lower possibility of ****tin yourself, that's why you never get it over in the US.
1579589426487.png

Like my God, almost nothing is better than having Chicken Fried Rice. Prove me wrong for food.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
The Super Smash Bros. series is officially 21 years old as of today, I guess that's some good news.

Shroob

Sup?
The Super Smash Bros. series is officially 21 years old as of today, I guess that's some good news.
A humble beginning with 12 characters

And our future is 86, with a potential 4 more when those are said and done.

What a long and crazy trip its been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom