• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Madao

I guess I'm the only one out of the loop? I these cousin jokes but it sounds hilarious, but idk the meaning behind it. Can someone aware me pls? :)

Sedda

Smash Champion
kero went to italy a year ago or so ago to visit family

basically, he went to some party where he met a girl who was like no other girl at the party. They talked for a long time and were getting along really well, and then he found out she was his cousin LOL

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
so i spent last night catching up to vol82 of Fables, and i'm still in awe of how amazing the series is, and i cannot wait to read all the spinoffs and see where the stories go. i attempted to get kero to read some of them instead of crappy manga, but he's resigned to being low class forever. so at his suggestion, i began to read death note. i've moved through two chapters and i highly doubt i'll be continuing. here are my findings:

superficial reasons:
1.reading left to right is silly for me and too unnatural.
2.the artwork is as i expected - it seems the only detail of consequence was put into shinigami, and even then, he's drawn the same way across multiple panels multiple times. the amount of dead space is also very unappealing - there are multiple times it's just a closeup of two faces.
3. ellipses are vertical.
non superficial reasons:
1. there's the plotline and two subplots as far as i can tell, but the pacing is horrrrrendous. being thrown into stories is fine, but you have to be able to get a good handle on the characters immediately if you're not going to spend time on character development.
2. speaking of, the amount of character development is drastic as hell and totally rushed. we see this bored kid quite literally transform from fairly normal, albeit bored, into someone with a god complex...in a page. dialogue, too, is jarring and erratic. there are bursts of sentences and then empty panels of reaction faces, all with the regular shocked open mouth face, blank face, or closed eye face that i've come to associate with the style of artwork. not appealing at all.
3. when it comes to the story arc, there aren't plot holes, per se, but there are gaps where the reader is left to do the imagining, which is worsened by random bits of exposition (ie: first page, "Shinigami* World" - with the asterisk indicating that shinigami is the god of death. do you realize how much more interesting it would be to use the environment, treatment of the character, and effect it has on people to SHOW that, instead of eliminating all of that lush possibility by merely telling us? it's lazy storytelling, let's be real).
4. PACING. again, i can't emphasize this enough. and it's very unfair to say "get used to it, the story moves fast." the world essentially changed in the gap between one chapter and the next.

all in all, i've taken the time to do a sample reading and have concluded that it's not for me. i'll continue my comic reading with fables and eventually sin city and sandman.

Sedda

Smash Champion
@ Cobrevolution Cobrevolution

you cant complain about character development like that if you've only read a little bit of it, and your superficial reasons for not liking it are always funny so im not gonna comment on that.
ill say the same thing about your issue with PACING. you can't complain about pacing and say "it's very unfair to say "get used to it, the story moves fast' " if you've only done a ""sample reading."
if you're allowed to say that, then i'm allowed to say that you can't criticize pacing and character development unless you've read the whole thing. those two elements are ingrained in the whole narrative of any story, so to take just a small part of it and say that pacing is horrible doesn't mean much.

plus why the **** are you reading death note? we've recommended way better things to watch/read on here

cobr pls

that's like me trying to pick up young adult fiction and posting that i read twilight on here and that the characters are stale, so ive decided it's not for me

Shears

Smash Master
I guess I'm the only one out of the loop? I these cousin jokes but it sounds hilarious, but idk the meaning behind it. Can someone aware me pls? :)
Kero ****ed his cousin now tries to cover it up by ****ing people's mom's and stealing people's gurls (to which he has successfully done neither).

Annex

Smash Ace
I swear in like 10 years incest isn't gonna be a big deal

Like, you see how weird that just was? But why is it a bad thing? And why are you right now assuming I ****ed MY cousin?
But what's the real objection to it if it's two consenting adults and she doesn't get pregnant?
Idk

BananaBolts I give it a 3/10
it's a cool enough subject but the composition and eye flow are horrendous and the color only amplifies those problems

Kero you're the man please sign my face

@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA : for singles it starts jan 31st at 11
https://www.facebook.com/events/301539433342834/
http://www.apex-series.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/zZo1cJA.png

Annex

Smash Ace
uh oh I've been found out

fun fact: I'm actually a weird dickless alien (who jerks off to plants) so maybe I'm a bit more objective about that kind of thing
****ing your family seems less weird than ****ing a stranger in a one night stand to me
BUT LIKE I SAID, IDK

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
you cant complain about character development like that if you've only read a little bit of it,
i disagree. when you're presented with a character in the story, it's not good writing to completely upheave all notions of him every other chapter. such is the case with the character here - goes from normal, bored unassuming kid...to seemingly maniacal overlord with a god complex...to government informant.

ill say the same thing about your issue with PACING. you can't complain about pacing and say "it's very unfair to say "get used to it, the story moves fast' " if you've only done a ""sample reading."
and i will disagree again. the story presents opportunities for development and such, but ignores them. it's a major issue, and not good storytelling.

if you're allowed to say that, then i'm allowed to say that you can't criticize pacing and character development unless you've read the whole thing.
and i'll respond with the same thing i told kero. the BEGINNING of your story is the most important part, because it is the very thing that decides whether or not people will continue to the middle and end. screenwriters don't always send the whole script, and rarely do authors send more than 60 pgs to publishers and editors. that's why there are things like PITCHES and what not, because the initial taste and exposure to the story must be good enough that you want to continue.

i'm sorry, but that's simply not present here.

that's like me trying to pick up young adult fiction and posting that i read twilight on here and that the characters are stale, so ive decided it's not for me
which i would not begrudge you at all, considering how much YA i've read in my time. you could very well make that assumption and be pretty correct. i mean, john green is a thing nowadays. come on.

the problem i have is i'm very suspicious that i will in all likelihood spot these problems in other mangas. i have no desire to waste even more time reading the stuff.

i also wanted to see if one of my assumptions were to be true - that there would be panels of just faces of people in reaction. and sure enough, i was not disappointed. perhaps it's a cultural stylistic genre thing, but yeah. this isn't gonna happen. i'll stick to the good comics and continue to recommend them and their incredibly beautiful artwork to other folk.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Welp now I'm super hype for apex, can we bring in snacks?
Edit: Me and my bros coming so that's like 100$ total, I feel bad for my sis cause she probably won't watch us,oh and I don't think I'll be there for finals sadly, but I probably won't be in the finals lol

Last edited:

Maliki

Smash Ace
Yo I dont go on smashboards often anymore but I don't regret going on right now at all! You guys making fun of Kero is to good. Those cousin jokes are gold.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I swear in like 10 years incest isn't gonna be a big deal

Like, you see how weird that just was? But why is it a bad thing? And why are you right now assuming I ****ed MY cousin?
But what's the real objection to it if it's two consenting adults and she doesn't get pregnant?
Idk

BananaBolts I give it a 3/10
it's a cool enough subject but the composition and eye flow are horrendous and the color only amplifies those problems

Kero you're the man please sign my face

@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA : for singles it starts jan 31st at 11
https://www.facebook.com/events/301539433342834/
http://www.apex-series.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/zZo1cJA.png
Because in
quote] Because incest is rarely completely consensual, and in most cases there is an irreconcilable power imbalance.

Even first-generation sibling incest has about the same chance of producing a child with hereditary genetic disease as do non-related people where the woman is over the age of 40, so potential pregnancy isn't even really the problem. The problem is that complete consent in these relationships is almost impossible, and dropping the stigma for the maybe 1 in 1000 cases where this doesn't apply seems not worth it

kys

Smash Ace
Because in
quote] Because incest is rarely completely consensual, and in most cases there is an irreconcilable power imbalance.

Even first-generation sibling incest has about the same chance of producing a child with hereditary genetic disease as do non-related people where the woman is over the age of 40, so potential pregnancy isn't even really the problem. The problem is that complete consent in these relationships is almost impossible, and dropping the stigma for the maybe 1 in 1000 cases where this doesn't apply seems not worth it
How do you know so much about this, HMMMM?

Annex

Smash Ace
The problem is that complete consent in these relationships is almost impossible, and dropping the stigma for the maybe 1 in 1000 cases where this doesn't apply seems not worth it
It always seems tocome down to idealism v practicality
To me, assuming and demonizing every case of incest as **** (or 'partial' consent) is very useful in preventing incestuous ****, but if that's not always true maybe we shouldn't assume it and punish the good and the bad of the group equally but instead look at them case-by-case
There's plenty of things we allow which are overwhelmingly associated with something bad, but I'm a hopeless idealist and think we should just punish the just the bad instead of every member of a group who on the whole is likely guilty

I can't argue against you practically though. The current bigotry is almost certainly lowering **** cases. I'm just saying in the future I think it will change

btw: I don't support incest

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
btw: I don't support incest
So you don't support Kero?

You didn't have to be so blunt about it.

I know you don't condone incest but spare the man's feelings.

Saying, "I don't support incest" is like saying, "Hey Kero, I hope your cousin jv5's you in public."

caneut

Smash Ace
as long as its not directly related (sibling, parent, child) the chances of actually bearing a deformed child are very low

its wrong for other reasons than that.

Shears

Smash Master
Reproduction with a family member doesn't mean the child will have genetic defects, it just means the genes to select from are similar and so lets say both parents have a recessive gene for something like red hair, then the child has 50% chance of getting that recessive gene and a 25% chance of being born without a soul. In the same respect, the childs odds of inheriting a favorable dominant gene are the same. Incestual reproduction means the genetic strengths get stronger and the genetic weaknesses get weaker. Just take a look at Jerry Lee Lewis, he had a couple kids with his 13 year old cousin and none of them were deformed.

Top Bottom