• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Yo, this twitter thread is really good, check it out when you can.
Also, hi there.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I just thought of something.

Kirby had an anime (Right Back at Ya!)

Meta Knight appeared in the anime.

Meta Knight wields a sword.

Thusly, Meta Knight is another mother****in anime sword fighter.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Right Back At Ya, I actually met Meta Knight's VA in that. He said Meta Knight having a hispanic voice was an idea he had and everyone working on it was really confused, but it worked so they went with it.

Fun little tidbit.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I don’t think that’s necessary. Steven Universe just isn’t that kind of show. That’s not the kind of message it wants to spread.
It seems to be though. The show is all about rebellion and fighting for what is right, but has just danced around the reality that sometimes people need to die for it. No revolution has ended with everybody now magically understanding each other and holding hands into the sunset, and for a show that was able to depict a fascist society and it’s rulers so well, it should know that.

Really didn’t like when Steven told Bismuth that shattering a diamond made them no better than a diamond. Yeah, Steven. Just like how killing Hitler would be the same as doing all the things he did. Ok.

Except that’s what every kids action show does. The villains are always 100% evil and need to either be locked up, or even worse, killed. I like that Steven Universe subverts this. Regardless of how true to real life people the message is.
What show have you watched in the last ten years where not a single villain has a redemption? It’s been the new hip thing for the past decade or so because people saw it in anime and think you can just do it with any character.

I never said the villain has to be 100% evil. I said she should refuse to change her stance until forcibly put down. It’s a show that’s supposed to reflect real life so much, and it needs to show that not everyone is going to side with you no matter how reasonable or nice you are.

Even so. I’d still rather he not murder her. At least just poof her and lock her gem in a box or in a bubble in lions mane.
I’m fine with her being bubbled and locked away giving that shattering is worse than death, but Steven is reluctant to do that anyway, even to characters that have literally ravaged entire planets and OWN SLAVES.

All killing isn’t murder.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It seems to be though. The show is all about rebellion and fighting for what is right, but has just danced around the reality that sometimes people need to die for it. No revolution has ended with everybody now magically understanding each other and holding hands into the sunset, and for a show that was able to depict a fascist society and it’s rulers so well, it should know that.

Really didn’t like when Steven told Bismuth that shattering a diamond made them no better than a diamond. Yeah, Steven. Just like how killing Hitler would be the same as doing all the things he did. Ok.

What show have you watched in the last ten years where not a single villain has a redemption? It’s been the new hip thing for the past decade or so because people saw it in anime and think you can just do it with any character.

I never said the villain has to be 100% evil. I said she should refuse to change her stance until forcibly put down. It’s a show that’s supposed to reflect real life so much, and it needs to show that not everyone is going to side with you no matter how reasonable or nice you are.

I’m fine with her being bubbled and locked away giving that shattering is worse than death, but Steven is reluctant to do that anyway, even to characters that have literally ravaged entire planets and OWN SLAVES.

I have not watched Steven Universe, so I won't talk about the show, only the implications you mentioned. But from what you describe, that's actually a breath of fresh air. I'm tired of movies/TV shows that create a false dichotomy where the "hero" is forced to kill the villain, or commit a "noble" sacrifice. There's nothing noble about either situation.

As for the Hitler analogy, it doesn't work. The problem with alternative history is there's too many variables to know if you're actually making the world better or worse. Some alternative history novels show the protagonist killing Hitler, only to have created a power vacuum where someone more evil takes their place, and unlike Hitler, was successful and their reign continued into the 21st century. Not going to get political, but there are current examples of exactly that today. So, indeed, I like the message of "all killing is murder", if that's the message. In real life, there is never a false dichotomy, and there's always a way you can solve a situation without compromising one's morals. That's a lesson I feel like more people today should learn (though, I do agree with you, that the villain won't suddenly learn their lesson and be redeemed--but that is one of the many different ways to avoid a false dichotomy). I haven't seen Steven Universe, but this has made me curious to check it out--thanks. :)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's morning, my dudes.

AAAAAAAAA....

How is everyone?
My morning's going okay. I've decided that, when I get the chance, I'm going to pick up Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night if I can find the physical version, and I'm hoping to finish watching the Godfather Part 2 some time today. However, I don't know what "keto" is, but it needs to be stopped - I've banned about a dozen spambots this morning alone for advertising it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I’m pretty good. I’m playing some Banjo-Kazooie, which is fun.
I wish there was a good way for me to play Kazooie and Tooie again. I'm thinking of just sucking it up and getting a cheap Xbox 360, since I own the games digitally. But it's around the same price as getting N64 carts to replace the ones that got stolen--I'm just worried, with experimenting with my N64, if it'll be reliable to play on. Takes me forever to get an N64 cart working on it. What are you playing on?

Microsoft--I love your new philosophy on bringing gaming everywhere to everyone--so just put Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie on PC already (ideally the Switch, but I'll take what I can get).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

True. But the show is also about optimism and always trying to see the good in people. Trying to resolve things peacefully. I don’t think there’s been a single time since the first season, maybe ever, where Steven has been the one who started a fight. It’s almost always been self defense.

Murder is murder. End of discussion. If you kill a murderer, regardless of whatever else they’ve done, you are no better than they are. It’s the basic superhero code that the MCU has spent the last decade of its existence eroding along with the need for secret identities.

I grew up on action cartoons since I came into this world (born in 99). Everything from Batman to Ben 10. That’s just how they work. Sure, one or two villains get redeemed, but it’s almost always depicted as a freak thing that never happens. And you get the whole “side characters stop trusting the main character because they’re willing to work with an ex-villain” plot. Then 2010 came along and pretty much killed the genre of action cartoons. Aside from Adventure Time and Steven Universe (which both only half qualify because of their equal emphasis on humor and “slice of life” stories), I can maybe count on one hand the amount of action cartoons I have seen in the last decade. So your statement doesn’t really apply. There just isn’t a large enough sample size.

I wish there was a good way for me to play Kazooie and Tooie again. I'm thinking of just sucking it up and getting a cheap Xbox 360, since I own the games digitally. But it's around the same price as getting N64 carts to replace the ones that got stolen--I'm just worried, with experimenting with my N64, if it'll be reliable to play on. Takes me forever to get an N64 cart working on it. What are you playing on?

Microsoft--I love your new philosophy on bringing gaming everywhere to everyone--so just put Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie on PC already (ideally the Switch, but I'll take what I can get).

Dude. If you have an Xbox One, your a cool not to own Rare Replay. In fact, since Project Scarlet IS going to be backwards compatible. I would suggest buying that and investing in Rare Replay.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I'm just using an emulator for my computer since I'm more comfortable using it. I do have an Xbox, but I never really touch it since I'm not all to used to the control scheme. With the Emulator, I can just re-configure the controls.

As for whether you should play it on a Xbox 360 or a N64, I guess that's up to you. If you want a cheaper, more polished experience, you can go for the 360 version. if you want a more expensive version that's straight up the original, then go for the N64.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
My morning's going okay. I've decided that, when I get the chance, I'm going to pick up Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night if I can find the physical version, and I'm hoping to finish watching the Godfather Part 2 some time today. However, I don't know what "keto" is, but it needs to be stopped - I've banned about a dozen spambots this morning alone for advertising it.
Yo, Godfather Part 2 is great! I like part 1 the most (and part 1 is one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time), but Part 2 is a really good watch as well. It continues the Corleone family story nicely, and you get to see how far Michael's really fallen from morality compared to the beginning of Part 1.

Yeah, spam bots suck. Basically, "KETO" is a special kind of diet. That's it, really.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Dude. If you have an Xbox One, your a cool not to own Rare Replay. In fact, since Project Scarlet IS going to be backwards compatible. I would suggest buying that and investing in Rare Replay.
I don't have an Xbox One, and don't plan on getting Scarlet unless Microsoft really blows it out of the park next E3. The last conference demonstrated why Xbox is not for me, outside of Banjo-Kazooie--there was nothing there for me. I had an Xbox 360 back in 2009, and while I didn't have Rare Replay, I had both Kazooie and Tooie. But my Xbox has been lost/stolen, so I'm thinking the cheapest option is to get a $60 360. I already own the games, and prefer the Xbox versions outside of the changes they made at the end.

I'm just using an emulator for my computer since I'm more comfortable using it. I do have an Xbox, but I never really touch it since I'm not all to used to the control scheme. With the Emulator, I can just re-configure the controls.

As for whether you should play it on a Xbox 360 or a N64, I guess that's up to you. If you want a cheaper, more polished experience, you can go for the 360 version. if you want a more expensive version that's straight up the original, then go for the N64.
I know I'd like the 360 versions more--more polished and included a lot of QOL changes. Part of me just doesn't want to get a 360 again, just to play Banjo-Kazooie. As for expense, getting the N64 carts or getting a used Xbox 360 is roughly the same price, $60. I already own the games, it's just a matter of if I want to get a 360 just for those.

And then there's the situation I know will happen--once I decide and do that, *then* BK and BT are announced for PC. It's what happened with the joy-cons--got replacement ones for the ones that drifted, couple days later they announce new colors for the Fall I'd like. :chuckle:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I know I'd like the 360 versions more--more polished and included a lot of QOL changes. Part of me just doesn't want to get a 360 again, just to play Banjo-Kazooie. As for expense, getting the N64 carts or getting a used Xbox 360 is roughly the same price, $60. I already own the games, it's just a matter of if I want to get a 360 just for those.
That really just depends on which console you prefer, then.

And then there's the situation I know will happen--once I decide and do that, *then* BK and BT are announced for PC. It's what happened with the joy-cons--got replacement ones for the ones that drifted, couple days later they announce new colors for the Fall I'd like. :chuckle:
This happens to me so much but with DLC. Whenever I finish a game that I'm not gonna come back to, I usually sell it, then like, one month later they announce DLC. A good example is Splatoon 2. I had done everything I wanted to do in the game, and I knew that future DLC would just be weapons and stuff, so I sold it to get another game. (Can't remember which) Shortly after, the Octo Expansion was announced, and I was just sitting there like "Ah ****."

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yo, Godfather Part 2 is great! I like part 1 the most (and part 1 is one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time), but Part 2 is a really good watch as well. It continues the Corleone family story nicely, and you get to see how far Michael's really fallen from morality compared to the beginning of Part 1.

Yeah, spam bots suck. Basically, "KETO" is a special kind of diet. That's it, really.
Sounds good! It's one of those movies that I've been meaning to get around to - I've seen the Godfather twice, and I got a three-pack DVD collection of the Godfather movies thanks to Boxing Day sales, but with the second one being nearly three and a half hours long, it was tough to find the time to sit down and watch it. (as it stands, I'm only about halfway through)

I've heard that the third one is nowhere near as good as the first two, but I'll still give it a chance.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't have an Xbox One, and don't plan on getting Scarlet unless Microsoft really blows it out of the park next E3. The last conference demonstrated why Xbox is not for me, outside of Banjo-Kazooie--there was nothing there for me. I had an Xbox 360 back in 2009, and while I didn't have Rare Replay, I had both Kazooie and Tooie. But my Xbox has been lost/stolen, so I'm thinking the cheapest option is to get a $60 360. I already own the games, and prefer the Xbox versions outside of the changes they made at the end.

I don’t know. I have a little bit more faith in them for next E3. It’s the year before a major holiday console release. Of course it’s gonna be light. I didn’t want to believe it before the conference, but it makes too much sense now that I think about it. That’s probably why the Microsoft conference sucked so bad. Really why every conference kind of sucked.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Sounds good! It's one of those movies that I've been meaning to get around to - I've seen the Godfather twice, and I got a three-pack DVD collection of the Godfather movies thanks to Boxing Day sales, but with the second one being nearly three and a half hours long, it was tough to find the time to sit down and watch it. (as it stands, I'm only about halfway through)

I've heard that the third one is nowhere near as good as the first two, but I'll still give it a chance.
Part 3, when comparing it to the first two parts, is a disappointment.

But if we judge the movie based on it's on merit...it's not bad. It's a decent 7/10, mid-high tier movie. The camera work is still real solid, and Al Pacino continues to kill it. But, the script is off at times and there are a couple awkward points within, mostly due to acting. Mary Corleone's actress is also terrible with line delivery to the point of cringe. She's important to Michael's development at least, but the acting jobs are hit or miss in part 3. The story is still pretty decent.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don’t know. I have a little bit more faith in them for next E3. It’s the year before a major holiday console release. Of course it’s gonna be light. I didn’t want to believe it before the conference, but it makes too much sense now that I think about it. That’s probably why the Microsoft conference sucked so bad. Really why every conference kind of sucked.
I agree that next E3 will certainly be better given it's a new console generation, I'm just not sure if I'm going to be the audience they're looking for. I agree with those that Spencer is a million times better than the old guard, and with Spencer overseeing Scarlet it'll be different. Except they did bring up Scarlet this E3, and it was the same ole, cliche ridden, mega-flops counting reel they do every console generation. Makes me a bit doubtful Scarlet will be different enough where I'd sign on board. I hope I'm wrong--while I love Nintendo, it would be nice to branch out to other systems outside of the Switch. But it's still a year out, and I'm gonna make it my mission to 100% Kazooie and Tooie again before Banjo & Kazooie's in Smash. :grin:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The only thing I dislike about the XBLA port of Banjo-Kazooie is the little heads at the top left.
1563630565792.png
They just look like creepy plastic wind-up toys. The heads on the N64 version are miles better.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Welp

The Shifty Station on the final day is when Team Order reigns supreme. Chaos is getting their *** kicked and it’s depressing

What the helllllll

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I agree that next E3 will certainly be better given it's a new console generation, I'm just not sure if I'm going to be the audience they're looking for. I agree with those that Spencer is a million times better than the old guard, and with Spencer overseeing Scarlet it'll be different. Except they did bring up Scarlet this E3, and it was the same ole, cliche ridden, mega-flops counting reel they do every console generation. Makes me a bit doubtful Scarlet will be different enough where I'd sign on board. I hope I'm wrong--while I love Nintendo, it would be nice to branch out to other systems outside of the Switch. But it's still a year out, and I'm gonna make it my mission to 100% Kazooie and Tooie again before Banjo & Kazooie's in Smash. :grin:
Who knows. There have been glimmers of hope in the last few years. But for every glimmer of hope there’s another dozen Cyberpunk: 2077 and The Last of Us 2.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I thought those games were well received?
Sure. But it’s still gritty m-rated un-stylezed gun play based “narrative” games. I long for the days when games like DMC were the hot **** that everyone was trying to do. Or the days when platformers were everywhere. God. If we could go back to that and do them both at the same time. Like, I don’t want to get rid of the things like this, but I’m sick of this being the literal ONLY stuff that AAA gaming gives us.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
And once more my body decides to ruin my morning. Got random stomach pain and I've been in the bathroom for 15 minutes straight so far...at a Planet Fitness.

Joy

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Morning Everyone!

Yesterday, I spent the day going to dinner at Dave & Busters with my family. I tried out their Smashed Bar Burgers & BBQ and really enjoyed it (didn't get to eat much of the ribs out of fullness). And I got to play Mario Kart Arcade GP DX there along with this one Halo arcade game that I'v never known about.

Three Houses is getting leaked, watch out
Anybody called the plumbers yet?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It's been 50 years since it happemed, but it still facinates me that we had some people land on the moon, let alone have space travel (and they weren't even the first).

I'd love to go to space someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom