• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
A-are you sure about that?

Not the fact that, ya know, they brought back to life extremely dangerous alpha predators?
Yeah. Because they were all adequately contained until Nedry sabotaged the system. All the escaping their exhibits and the island before the shutdown stuff wasn’t in the movie.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah. Because they were all adequately contained until Nedry sabotaged the system. All the escaping their exhibits and the island before the shutdown stuff wasn’t in the movie.
....and this could have been prevented by them just

Not

To begin with

Think of the impact it'd have on the ecosystem to re-introduce these things into the wild.

Think what life would be like if Pterodactyls were allowed to fly free.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We really debating if bringing back ****ing dinosaurs is a good idea? :187: Did we forget the ****ing quote from the first movie?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
And where were all the security and staff? They had so few people there when Dr. Grant and co visited. Tragedy may have been prevented simply by having more people present that day

Shroob

Sup?
Sharks are already too much for me.

The thought of **** like Mosaurus or Pleisaurus living in modern times is way too much for my fear of water.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
What problems? In the movie at least the only real problem is InGen mistreating Nedry.
They had no proper contingencies in place in case everything went down.
The fences and enclosures were poorly made so that, with the power down, they'd be easy to break. Honestly given enough time, they'd break even with power on.
Not researching the frog DNA they used to bring the Dinosaurs back so they could in fact breed.
Sending guests (including the owner's own grandkids) on a tour whilst systems are still buggy
Building in an area susceptible to intense tropical storms
Bringing back Pterodactyls
Bringing Dinos back at all
An abundance of Poisonous plants
Terrible worker protection as seen with getting the Raptor into the enclosure
Poor staff on hand, granted it isn't open but any zoo worth its salt will keep a good number of staff on hand at all times, even before opening

Then later films give us:
- Making hybrids and keeping the genetic makeup a secret from people who can actually help
- Auctioning Dinos that are contained in a basement
- Releasing said Dinos in the wild
- Even bringing them to the main land at all
- Bringing back the Mosasaurus and just leaving a gate to the open ocean by its enclosure
- The island turned out to also be volcanic
- A whole separate breeding island that random people can show up at

Shroob

Sup?
The fences and enclosures were poorly made so that, with the power down, they'd be easy to break. Honestly given enough time, they'd break even with power on.
Not researching the frog DNA they used to bring the Dinosaurs back so they could in fact breed.
Sending guests (including the owner's own grandkids) on a tour whilst systems are still buggy
Poor staff on hand, granted it isn't open but any zoo worth its salt will keep a good number of staff on hand at all times, even before opening

- Making hybrids and keeping the genetic makeup a secret from people who can actually help
- Bringing back the Mosasaurus and just leaving a gate to the open ocean by its enclosure
They fly now?

They fly now.

Yes, because bringing back carnivorous, flying reptile/avian things was the best idea. One gets out, someone's gonna die.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I still believe that a real Jurassic Park could be done and done well and avoid major disasters.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I like how TLW and JP3 ended with shots of Pteranodons, but apparently they've never caused problems? They're flying alongside Dr. Grant's helicopter at the end of JP3, and it's weirdly treated like a majestic animal kind of moment, not an "oh s***, the monsters are escaping" moment

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I like how TLW and JP3 ended with shots of Pteranodons, but apparently they've never caused problems? They're flying alongside Dr. Grant's helicopter at the end of JP3, and it's weirdly treated like a majestic animal kind of moment, not an "oh s***, the monsters are escaping" moment
You mean like the end of Fallen Kingdom where they show a Mosasaur swimming inside a tidal wave.

I swear, the end of that movie was like the setup for a cheesy 80s SatAM show.

Shroob

Sup?
"Ah, aren't they majestic creatures? Giant, majestic, man-eating creatures that are going to destroy entire ecosystems as alpha-predators, breed, and kill countless human lives."

"Nature truly finds a way."

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
You mean like the end of Fallen Kingdom where they show a Mosasaur swimming inside a tidal wave.

I swear, the end of that movie was like the setup for a cheesy 80s SatAM show.
At least that has a film following up on it confirmed, and seems to be setting up that this will indeed be a major problem. The Pteranodons of previous films ended up being entirely glossed over

Shroob

Sup?
Like, I don't think anyone would mind 'much' if it was something dopey like a long-neck kind, aside from the massive property damage it'd cause by stomping around.

It's the carnivores that are ****ing terrifying, and if you give them non-land based mobility like swimming or flight?

God help us if the Mosasaur can have non-sex related offspring like some sharks can.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Think about the fact that everything was bigger back then. Dinosaurs likely would’ve had to eat a load more meat and stuff than today’s animals in order to survive. Ecosystems would be getting hurt more even when they’re contained if scientists could somehow become Jurassic Park if it real.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade if you ask me.
Zoos are instrumental in preserving endangered species. As long as the animals are respected, well cared for, and given the proper habitat, then it’s great.

And I want a real Jurassic Park more than anything... well... second to my srs.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Ah yes, real-life Pokemon, for when you want dangerous super-carnivores but also demi-gods who can cause natural disasters and t-rexes in metal armor who eat trucks

To be fair, Eevee seems like it'd be fine enough. Let's only make Eevee :133:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Honestly why haven't these good boys been in MvC yet?

Edit: Of course the image is broken. Well anyways I'm talking about Zack and Wiki

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I've never seen Jurassic Park but I can't take a movie with giant """Velociraptors""" that are apparently "smarter then most primates" that seriously. This is your movie monster:

THE HORROR

They were also probably about as smart as an opossum. No offense to our Opossum but that doesn't exactly have me quaking in my boots. They might not have even been pack hunters, as there's not a ton of evidence for or against it. Honestly the biggest threat velociraptors would pose would be as an invasive species, not as some horrible, hyper intelligent man-eaters.

I thin it's important to consider cautionary tales but not to take them as absolutes. They're just a would could happen, not what will. Honestly I'd be down for cloning dinos (and pterosaurs, which are not dinosaurs). My biggest concern would be treating the animals themselves ethically, as it'd be hard to know the exact needs of a creature that's been extinct for longer then humans have been around - for all we know they might not even be able to survive in captivity.

On one final note I think a lot of giant predators might have a hard time sustaining themselves in modern environments. Imagine if a T-rex somehow got loose in the wild - there wouldn't exactly be a lot of triceratops and out there for it to snack on, so it'd have to try and hunt much smaller and much more agile prey. It'd probably be so unsuccessful that it'd starve to death before it could ruin the ecosystem - I'd be far more concerned about the damage smaller dinos (like the aforementioned velociraptors) would cause. But that's assuming researchers wouldn't be able to track down and recapture a 40 foot reptile in a timely manner. Maybe some larger pterosaurs would do alright though, as a lot of them probably didn't go after large prey, but it's hard to say since the prey they hunted may have still been a lot different from what's around today.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it's less than 12 hours until the tree house. I should be able to comfortably sleep and wake up to watch it :)

Shroob

Sup?
You ever realize that by by proxy

Due to Persona in Smash

We've have a series in Smash where ****ing Hitler was a major antagonist of a game in the series?

So this is why no one talks about Persona 1/2. /s

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You ever realize that by by proxy

Due to Persona in Smash

We've have a series in Smash where ****ing Hitler was a major antagonist of a game in the series?
Metal Gear's central antagonist is the ****ing U.S. Government I'm not terribly surprised

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've never seen Jurassic Park but I can't take a movie with giant """Velociraptors""" that are apparently "smarter then most primates" that seriously. This is your movie monster:

THE HORROR

They were also probably about as smart as an opossum. No offense to our Opossum but that doesn't exactly have me quaking in my boots. They might not have even been pack hunters, as there's not a ton of evidence for or against it. Honestly the biggest threat velociraptors would pose would be as an invasive species, not as some horrible, hyper intelligent man-eaters.

I thin it's important to consider cautionary tales but not to take them as absolutes. They're just a would could happen, not what will. Honestly I'd be down for cloning dinos (and pterosaurs, which are not dinosaurs). My biggest concern would be treating the animals themselves ethically, as it'd be hard to know the exact needs of a creature that's been extinct for longer then humans have been around - for all we know they might not even be able to survive in captivity.

On one final note I think a lot of giant predators might have a hard time sustaining themselves in modern environments. Imagine if a T-rex somehow got loose in the wild - there wouldn't exactly be a lot of triceratops and out there for it to snack on, so it'd have to try and hunt much smaller and much more agile prey. It'd probably be so unsuccessful that it'd starve to death before it could ruin the ecosystem - I'd be far more concerned about the damage smaller dinos (like the aforementioned velociraptors) would cause. But that's assuming researchers wouldn't be able to track down and recapture a 40 foot reptile in a timely manner. Maybe some larger pterosaurs would do alright though, as a lot of them probably didn't go after large prey, but it's hard to say since the prey they hunted may have still been a lot different from what's around today.
There's also the fact that we're currently in the middle of a mass extinction due to humans ****ing up entire ecosystems.

Maybe we should be focusing on protecting the species we have instead of bringing more back.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

THE HORROR

The Jurassic Park team were quite aware of what real velociraptors were like. They were made bigger after being disappointed by the real ones.

The ones shown in Jurassic Park are essentially just movie monsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom