• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Rosalina isn't the most deep written character, but at least Nintendo tried to make a Mario character more interesting by giving her a backstory and whatnot. Some spin-off series, noticeably the RPGs, have some more interesting and fun characterizations imo.

I guess I'm one who believes good story and gameplay is not mutually exclusive, especially in this day and age. The Mario series in particular is iffy, as there's going to be people who would rather have story elements kept out of the games (at least the mainline games) or don't play the games for the story, which is fine. At least, I would like to see a good platformer (maybe spin-off) in which they attempt to create an interesting story with decent characters or something (could just be an abstract game with interesting themes even). I say this because my last Mario platformer was the first Galaxy. I like gameplay, but I want to also be emotionally invested in my games as well (depending on the series. I mean, I'm not going to expect Mario Kart to suddenly have a deep, epic story like the MGS series or something. I don't buy every MK game, only the ones that interest me). It's just how I am -- good gameplay alone just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Unfortunately with Miyamoto around, I'm not sure if I'll get my dream game.
I heard this on the Krystal thread saying that Miyamoto refuses to add story elements in games. The RPG series tend to have infinitely written characters than in the main series. Peach in SMRPG and Bowser in Paper Mario are the best games those two been in and haven't been beaten since.

Rosalina's alright. I only started caring more about her when she was revealed for Smash. Did kind of get annoyed when someone in the strongest character canonically thread kept trying to prove that she is supposedly the most powerful character and that no one can touch her...now it's transitioned to annoyed by Sonic being OP and no one can touch him because apparently he can freeze time before anyone can do anything.
I didn't even think about caring for Rosalina until she was in Smash. Then @ ChikoLad ChikoLad came along and made me careless about a poorly written character.

I laugh everytime someone uses the argument " Brazil is the fourth gaming market on the world."
The main problem is that the government rates every single game. Yes. All of them. From mobile to Computer. They rate all by hand. If consoles weren't so expensive and pirated, everyone but Sega will pay attention. The MENA market has better potential when it comes to TV games since the main thing you have to censer is nudity and not much else. I'm not certain about computer games in Brazil but it might be like Russia, were Sony can't make a living but Steam can.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I heard this on the Krystal thread saying that Miyamoto refuses to add story elements in games. The RPG series tend to have infinitely written characters than in the main series. Peach in SMRPG and Bowser in Paper Mario are the best games those two been in and haven't been beaten since.

I didn't even think about caring for Rosalina until she was in Smash. Then @ ChikoLad ChikoLad came along and made me careless about a poorly written character.

The main problem is that the government rates every single game. Yes. All of them. From mobile to Computer. They rate all by hand. If consoles weren't so expensive and pirated, everyone but Sega will pay attention. The MENA market has better potential when it comes to TV games since the main thing you have to censer is nudity and not much else. I'm not certain about computer games in Brazil but it might be like Russia, were Sony can't make a living but Steam can.
Don't know why you're tagging me like that but Rosalina is far from poorly written and I still maintain that she's canonically the strongest Smash character.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Well then, I hope one day someone as good as Miyamoto could take the wheels for the Mario series by giving it a real story. It's possible, look at the comics of Mario in Nintendo Power, they were good and gave a personality to every character, as well as putting a funny story.
But noooo, it's so much better to create a scenario on a piece of toilet paper than creating a real story, am I right ? Those RPG games are the worst in the Mario franchise right ? Mario needs to be a happy lucky guy for ever, with Peach having no personality, Luigi always being the same and adding Toad, the most important character right ?

Miyamoto, I respect you, but I think he needs to change a little bit his mind. We ain't in the 8 bit era where creating a scenario was useless and companies needed to focus more on the gameplay. We can do both of that you know ? Having a cool gameplay and scenario.

But Miyamoto won't change and will stay like he is. It's good in a sense. But not that good for the Mario series.

I need to stop ranting on nothing.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hello everybody ! I've finished Kill la Kill today.

It's a great anime. It's maybe not the same feeling I had with the ending of Nichijou (only in the anime), but it's close. Some episodes were not great, yes. The humour at the start was not very good, but it managed to have a sense and time to time funny, especially the Mako parts, as well as the nudists.
The fights are great, the evolution of characters are extremely strong and make all of them likeable at some point. They feel real, that's for sure.
The only problem that I had with the anime ? I don't know. Maybe the plot was too complicated, with only putting a weird excuse at the end to justify the existence of the powers the clothes got. Maybe it was the reptitive twists, Shaymalan style, that made it too long. Maybe it was the two lasts episodes that were to fasts (24 and 25). But I can understand why it had a big success and why some people love the anime (and manga).

I recommend it to anyone who weird things in an intelligent manner. It's a great anime that needs to be watch. And don't worry : the hype will make you stay for sure.

Anyway, I think I'll make a pause of anime stuff. Nichijou and Kill la Kill are already enough for me.
When you're ready again, you should watch FMA: Brotherhood, a personal favorite.

Smash 4 Social Thread 4.0: We've got to have money edition

because Toy Story 4

Or maybe it can be Smash 4 Social Thread 4.0 the Movie: The Rebellion Story
What do we think about that anyway? I'm sure it'll be fine... but four? Really?

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I see we are talking about Rosalina, Meh I find her boring and overrated.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well then, I hope one day someone as good as Miyamoto could take the wheels for the Mario series by giving it a real story. It's possible, look at the comics of Mario in Nintendo Power, they were good and gave a personality to every character, as well as putting a funny story.
But noooo, it's so much better to create a scenario on a piece of toilet paper than creating a real story, am I right ? Those RPG games are the worst in the Mario franchise right ? Mario needs to be a happy lucky guy for ever, with Peach having no personality, Luigi always being the same and adding Toad, the most important character right ?

Miyamoto, I respect you, but I think he needs to change a little bit his mind. We ain't in the 8 bit era where creating a scenario was useless and companies needed to focus more on the gameplay. We can do both of that you know ? Having a cool gameplay and scenario.

But Miyamoto won't change and will stay like he is. It's good in a sense. But not that good for the Mario series.

Mario would cease to be what it is if it had an in-depth story.

The Mario and Luigi RPGs give more characterization in what they do, than what they say.

The main Mario series needs to do the same.

Strofirko

Smash Master

Metroid needs explore the depths of the main protagonist,and star fox needs to expand the universe.:troll:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Miyamoto actually does not work on core Mario games anymore, beyond being an advisor. Yoshiaki Koizumi took on the role of producer and director after the Galaxy games. Miyamoto focuses on new things now.

I personally think he's a dinosaur at this point and rarely brings good ideas to the table anymore, but that's a whole other discussion.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Mario would cease to be what it is if it had an in-depth story.

The Mario and Luigi RPGs give more characterization in what they do, than what they say.

The main Mario series needs to do the same.
It won't change until Miyamoto is gone. Besides, he's more focusing on Starfox and Zelda than Mario now.

This Guy!

True Metal Warrior
3DS FC
2809-9166-5335
Based on what I get from Smash (I haven't played either of the Galaxies), Rosalina's kinda dull. Fun to fight as Mega Man though, but dull nonetheless.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Miyamoto actually does not work on core Mario games anymore, beyond being an advisor. Yoshiaki Koizumi took on the role of producer and director after the Galaxy games. Miyamoto focuses on new things now.

I personally think he's a dinosaur at this point and rarely brings good ideas to the table anymore, but that's a whole other discussion.
Any non-core game which gets Miyamoto's 'input' ends up being bad... just look at Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Dream Team was made without his involvement, and look how good it is.

Strofirko

Smash Master
About this, I saw a recent twitter from emily rogers that wiiu is perfect for RTS games,pikmin series is the ONLY RTS franchise that works on consol,talking about a surprise here,some people complains " Y ANOTHER PIKMIN" ,I say that is better throw the ideas now than never.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Any non-core game which gets Miyamoto's 'input' ends up being bad... just look at Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Dream Team was made without his involvement, and look how good it is.
Oh god, poor Paper Mario: Sticker Star. It looked good, but suddenly, Miyamoto destroyed it.

When Myamoto's gone, we'll maybe have a chance to see games based on those two characters :

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Based on what I get from Smash (I haven't played either of the Galaxies), Rosalina's kinda dull. Fun to fight as Mega Man though, but dull nonetheless.
You'er not miss anything base on her personality, it just have some story about her past and that's it other than that she don't have that much of a personality. I don't get why people make such a big deal about her she not that ****ing amazing.

D

Deleted member

What do we think about that anyway? I'm sure it'll be fine... but four? Really?
I'm not too thrilled about the idea. I'm hoping it'll be good, but I thought 3 was a great conclusion and the story had no need to be continued past that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You'er not miss anything base on her personality, it just have some story about her past and that's it other than that she don't have that much of a personality. I don't get why people make such a big deal about her she not that ****ing amazing.
Probably because a tragic backstory was unheard of for a Mario character. Hell, I cried a little when I read it for the first time. That's all there is to it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My opinion on Mario and story is that it doesn't need in-depth story elements, but they do need to start fleshing out their characters, especially Mario himself. I personally also think Mario could do with proper voice acting. Charles Martinet sounds great when he does these characters in full sentence. It baffles me that Nintendo does not capitalise on this.

I also want Rosalina to get her own series like Yoshi and Wario. She has amazing potential for carrying her own, story based series, and she has the popularity for it in spades. Plus, it means Nintendo have another series with a female lead, which is always nice. What they started with her in Galaxy was amazing and I'd love to see it built upon.

You are gravely oversimplifying her character to the point where you sound delusional.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
But Daisy though. Why would you ever want a Daisy game? Waluigi I can understand, but Daisy?
I never said a game based on Daisy, but a main game with Daisy in it.

Also, look at this (not related to Daisy talk) :
:4wario2: vs :4mario: is the best.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Morning, Smashboards.

So, first anime, then Knuckles, then Deadpool, now Punch-Out!!? Wow, gets me wonder what the next will be.
WAIT WHAT.
Hold on...
You ACTUALLY saw an Olimar/Alph player on FG!?
THOSE EXIST!?
I honestly wish I was joking right now, but I'm dead serious, I've seen every character on FG EXCEPT Olimar. (And Mii fighters, but they don't count)
I'm mostly surprised you don't find any; these guys are EVERYWHERE.

Strofirko

Smash Master
The thing is that with every deep story comes the rules,with the rules we lost potential to explore new things.
If miyamoto implanted a deep story since the first game with his own vision,things like paper mario,super mario RPG,rosalina,cartoons,comics and other stuff would never happen to mario franchise in first place.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The thing is that with every deep story comes the rules,with the rules we lost potential to explore new things.
If miyamoto implanted a deep story since the first game with his own vision,things like paper mario,super mario RPG,rosalina,cartoons,comics and other stuff would never happen to mario franchise in first place.
A deep story doesn't mean making any rules. Rosalina is an example of that.

A deep story could simply be about a deep relationship between two characters, for example. For example, more insight on the relationship Mario and Luigi have.

Not that I think that needs to happen in a deep and serious sense myself, but it's an example.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
You are gravely oversimplifying her character to the point where you sound delusional.
Over simplifying her Character?! She just a character with a sad story that it, she does nothing in the game that make up for her lack a personality, Link had a sad story in one of his games too does that mean he have a personality no it doesn't. Most Mario characters don't have personalities.Can you kindly show me what her personality is because I don't see it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984

Translation:
The new series "Transformers: Robots in Disguise" is very awaited by the fans.
In China the first 13 episodes are already available.

And about Madoka Magica...
No 2nd season, no 4th movie, not even an OVA, when SHAFT?

Frankly, this is one of the most stupid comparisions I've ever seen.

Transformers, a mecha franchise that is over 30 years old and has great popularity at global levels, compared to Madoka Magica, a magical girl who exists since 2011 and most of it's impact is concentrated mostly in Japan.

Now tot hink it, do I even need to explain why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom