• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soccer

Coach John McGuirk

Smash Cadet
Yeah, so who here likes soccer? I'm not too fond of it myself, but for some reason it has become an intigual part of my life. I heard it was easy to find women when you're in the soccer business.

No women yet.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Soccer is my favorite sport to play. I'm not on a team at the moment, but I'm pretty good.

The problem with soccer in America is that many people think it's a sissy sport. That gets pretty annoying.

About the picking up women thing: I'd say that doing any sport increases your appeal to girls. Soccer players get a different type of girl than football (American football) players, though.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
i used to play football, it was fun and i was pretty good. but then my body just grew into a basketball player so i guess i started doing that instead.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
GregUnit understands!!

Btw, favorite club:
Ajax! We are the Godenzonen(Sons of God).

Coach John McGuirk

Smash Cadet
Look. You tell a bunch of Americans you're gonna have a football party and watch it on your big screen TV, and when you turn on the TV and it's Soccer, there are gonna be some pretty angry people in your house.

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
Go Spurs!

As much as I hate Arsenal, did anyone else watch their 7 - 0 win tonight? Spectacular game. Highest score gap ever in a Champions League game, as well.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
0-0!
0-0!

KEEP BELIEVING!! Everybody thought we would drown in our group and we lie joint top with the catalans!
And I ****ing missed it as I have test later today and I had to revise!

Aside from that, Man Utd 4 - 2 Kiev, things seem to be getting a little shakey at the back after that string of clean sheets but at least things are now going right at the other end to make up for it. Selling Henry seems to have become a masterstroke, must respect Wenger in that sense.
Oh .. and Ajax are good too. Although, they aren't in the Champions League this season are they? knocked out in qualifiers was it? shame.

American Football should be called Gridiron.
Edit: Or American Rules Rugby.

Double N Dann

Smash Journeyman
SUNY cobleskill... where kids get 3 stocked 3 on 1
Baseball is for guys who can't deal with high-endurance men's sports.

insulting people for which sport they play is completely useless.

american's are actually starting to come around to REAL football, i have noticed this in the past few years or so.
e
i think the reason americans do not embrace it like the ENTIRE REST OF THE WORLD may be because since football is not popular in USA a lot of american's do not understand the difficulty of scoring a goal and the suspense and excitement that comes along with it. also football is one of the best sports because it requires so much agility, skill, speed, and endurance.

football is the best!

Sporkman

Smash Ace
insulting people for which sport they play is completely useless.

american's are actually starting to come around to REAL football, i have noticed this in the past few years or so.
e
i think the reason americans do not embrace it like the ENTIRE REST OF THE WORLD may be because since football is not popular in USA a lot of american's do not understand the difficulty of scoring a goal and the suspense and excitement that comes along with it. also football is one of the best sports because it requires so much agility, skill, speed, and endurance.

football is the best!
My American flatmate also said Americans like high scoring games, I tell him it's about the suspense and anticipation etc but he doesn't listen. He did say however, that football's fan base in America is middle class white males who don't like going to the games because there are alot of Mexicans there.

Double N Dann

Smash Journeyman
SUNY cobleskill... where kids get 3 stocked 3 on 1
My American flatmate also said Americans like high scoring games, I tell it's about the suspense etc but he doesn't listen. He did say however, that football's fan base in America is middle class white males who don't like going to the games because there are alot of Mexicans there.
geeze, that last part is quite appaling to me. that is exactly the reason i try to go
to matches, because of all the immigrants/ minorities that get so into the game and make it much more exciting.

highgscoring games are a big part of the reason I don't like basketball and football because scoring becomes nothing special at all.

I do agree that most americans that like football are middle class whites ( I am one of them) because mostly the higher class people enjoy games like golf football and baseball, probably because of the haughtiness (for golf) and money involved in these games.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Baseball is for guys who can't deal with high-endurance men's sports.
So you're saying that because I prefer quick explosive movement in a sport that I can't deal with high endurance? I played American Football for a while and decided I didn't like it as much.

Baseball also requires more mental prep. and involves much more thinking then a lot of sports.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Meh, I don't like baseball, either. There's too much individual play, and not enough teamwork. Also, most of the time you're standing around in one place waiting for something. That's just how I feel.

I like soccer because you're constantly moving around, looking for a better spot to be in, searching for openings, etc. You have to be very aware of where your teammates and opponents are at all times. If you ask me, soccer requires much more on-your-feet thinking than any other sport--even American football.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Meh, I don't like baseball, either. There's too much individual play, and not enough teamwork. Also, most of the time you're standing around in one place waiting for something. That's just how I feel.

I like soccer because you're constantly moving around, looking for a better spot to be in, searching for openings, etc. You have to be very aware of where your teammates and opponents are at all times. If you ask me, soccer requires much more on-your-feet thinking than any other sport--even American football.
Also, it allows for mindgames, son. :D On the spot.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Baseball requires you to get inside the batters mind, look how fast the bat is going and adjust your position. I guess it requires more complex and thought out thinking than instant awareness thinking.

Especially pitching, you have to think about where the batter likes the ball, what's been thrown, the count, the mindset of the batter and much much more. Oh and if you know how to play the game it involves a good amount of communication even though maybe there are many individual moments.

I'm not saying that I hate soccer players I just feel like the statement about baseball earlier was uncalled for. I'm fine with the fact that you guys don't like baseball.

Jammer

Smash Lord
This seems to be a pleasant debate, so I'll continue.

I'd say that going 1 on 1 with a goalie, for instance, requires more thinking and adjusting, and, like Witchking of Angmar said, "mindgaming", than waiting for a pitch or pitching.

In baseball, it's just throw one of 3 or 4 pitches you're good at. I guess some thinking goes into which one you use, but not that much. And for the batter, all you do is try to hit the ball as hard as you can or bunt it. I'm sure I'm simplifying a bit because I don't really play baseball, but I doubt I'm far off.

In soccer, when you've got a breakaway and you're facing down the goalie, you have hundreds of options. You can kick the ball now, or later; high, or low; straight, or spun; you can do some fancy footwork to throw the goalie off guard (and you get to choose the footwork); you can go off to the side, trying to outrun the goalie; you can back off and wait for a teammate to catch up whom you can pass to so they can take the shot; etc. As a goalie, it's all a mindgame between you and the shooter. The goalie is trying to predict what the shooter will do, and the shooter can do anything. The goalie may want to charge, or hang back; strafe to a side of the net, or stay centered; and all the while, the goalie is watching the other players to see if the situation will change.

And that's just one small aspect of soccer: A breakaway by one forward. Pitching and hitting is half of baseball.

I'm not belittling baseball; I'm just saying that soccer is a more complex sport.

Coach John McGuirk

Smash Cadet
The only thing about baseball that i appreciate is overall statistics of how they do. You pitch a bad game, that's gonna hurt your career, which every sport should incorporate. Other than that, it's too much of a spectator sport for me to really enjoy. I can understand how baseball is not easy, but it's boring to watch. Football, Soccer, and Rugby are a lot more enjoyable and exciting. (Soccer and Rugby more than Football) I like cheering for my team and heckling the enemy, and if you've ever been to a regular baseball game in the states, you just get a bunch of alcoholics almost comatose complaining why one teams sucks.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
On the mound, you have to think about what pitch to put where and you have to decide which pitch will fool the batter. You have to mix speeds appropriately.

At the plate you have to look at what the spin on the ball is and decide whether it's a ball or a strike. You have to judge how the pitch is going to move. Jammer what you said was like someone saying soccer is just kicking a ball into the net.

Every sport has parts of it that are more complicated than you would think.

Oh and watching baseball is actually really fun and exciting if you understand the game. It may be slower paced but, it doesn't mean that it has to be boring. You know, I find it boring to watch sports like soccer and hockey, I mean I have my favorite teams but, I can't handle to watch more than the highlights.

Btw: For soccer, I ain't a huge fan but, the crappy REAL Salt Lake all the way!

Jammer

Smash Lord
On the mound, you have to think about what pitch to put where and you have to decide which pitch will fool the batter. You have to mix speeds appropriately.

At the plate you have to look at what the spin on the ball is and decide whether it's a ball or a strike. You have to judge how the pitch is going to move. Jammer what you said was like someone saying soccer is just kicking a ball into the net.
Alright, I'm sure you would know better than me, since you're much more into baseball than me. At this point I don't think either of us would be able to convince the other, so I'll just stop.

Cheers.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
FC Barcelona ftw! :)

... it really is the only thing I can think of to say right now... :dizzy:

EDIT: Did you seet that?! DID YOU SEE THAT?! O_O ENGLAND IS GONE!!

Top Bottom