• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So why do so many have issues with swords?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I understand the variance and nuance things like tippers make, but I think they are a little oversold. Yes they do make a difference and they do change things a bit, but I never felt a major difference from the core of say Chrom/Roy as opposed to Ness/Lucas. The former feel different in specific situations while the latter feel like entirely different characters. And even including people outside these dynamics like Ike still feels like swords are basically small variations in arcs and power.
Um, that's probably because Lucas is a quite different fighter. Similarities between him and Ness are largely superficial. They have a few things in common like size, shape, and an odd double jump, similar FS, but even their specials are different in function to varying degrees. Chrom and Roy had a different design philosophy. In other words, Chrom was a cheap, low effort addition specifically designed to be like Roy. If they feel similar that's because they are. Chrom/Roy and Lucina/Marth are poor examples and not really representative because they are intentionally designed that way. It's like looking at Peach and Daisy and complaining how similar they are. That's the point. Like it or not. Honestly, I don't like how echoes are implemented, but that's another discussion entirely.

As for uniqueness, a gimmick is not all there is to being unique, and feelings are subjective. Say someone thinks Terry feels less unique cause he feels like Ryu/Ken due to the fighting game stuff, but that is objectively not true. He is unique just from his moves even without the extra gimmick. Also, how could you say that the Heroes have a unique moveset even without RNG, but not the Byleths?

As for FE representation, there is a case to be made for that. For one, it's a Nintendo IP. Even if you don't think it should be more Nintendo focused like I do, it cuts out licensing fees and such likely making development easier and more lucrative. Secondly, as a series, it's not like Mario. Whereas Mario is the series protagonist, FE doesn't have one overarching protagonist or villain. This means to accurately represent the series, more keep getting added. So you either stop representing it (and since it's grown as large as it has, that seems unlikely) or you start cutting older ones which could still leave gaps, and people will miss them. You could argue for cutting Chrom and Lucina as Awakening reps, but they don't take much time comparatively so why not put them in? Xenoblade is in a similar situation. Like it or not, it's a growing first party franchise it seems and each game has different protagonists (so far) so just having Shulk really doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Um, that's probably because Lucas is a quite different fighter. Similarities between him and Ness are largely superficial. They have a few things in common like size, shape, and an odd double jump, but even their specials are different in function to varying degrees. Chrom and Roy had a different design philosophy. In other words, Chrom was a cheap, low effort addition specifically designed to be like Roy. If they feel similar that's because they are. Chrom/Roy and Lucina/Marth are poor examples and not really representative because they are intentionally designed that way. It's like looking at Peach and Daisy and complaining how similar they are. That's the point. Like it or not. Honestly, I don't like how echoes are implemented, but that's another discussion entirely.
That's kind of my point, though. There are 19 swordfighters (I'm not counting Ganon, Byleth, or Mythra/Pyra) currently implemented in the game. Of those 19 we have 7 FE characters, 3 Link clones, two Pit clones, MetaKnight, Mii Swordfighter, Shulk, Joker (Yes, I'm counting him), Hero, Cloud, and Sephiroth.

So out of 19 swordies we have maybe 11 unique styles. Out of those 19 we have maybe 5 that are combo oriented and 14 that are spacing oriented. Out of those 19 we have 8 echos/clones/variations of other fighters. In short, there is a lot of overlap among the swordfighters.

I used Ness/Lucas as an example because it shows how you can take a fighter from the same base as another, but tweak their properties so that they feel like totally different fighters in practice. I mean what exactly can you expect from an FE Up-air? It either combos into another Up-air or kills. What can you expect from an FE Nair? It either combos into another aerial or leads to a tech chase. What about an FE Dair? Usually combos into a kill move at certain percents or just sends your opponent away.

There's much overlap on an archetype that already has very little variation in style in the first place. Which is fine because the slot sword characters in Smash usually fill isn't supposed to. But I think the issue is that there isn't really much differentiation in aesthetic qualities between them. I mentioned Soul Calibur as an example of how styles and stances can make different sword characters feel different to play (e.g. Chinese vs Japanese swords). But that only works in that particular game and Smash is designed in a different way.

As I mentioned before I quite like these characters in Smash 4. I just don't think they are as fun in Ultimate and are victims of it's linearity and streamlining. Lucina was fun in 4 because she had things like Jab combos and other moves that weren't just Nair/Fair and D-Tilt. Corrin was fun because the lance was much better than in Ultimate and sniping people with tippers and the projectiles was fun. Cloud was a shining example of what I want to see in a character and felt very versatile in every respect and looked cool doing it to boot.

That is not the case in Ultimate. You can choose to space Fair with Cloud or with Lucina as your main neutral tool. You can choose to have your main kill move swing up (Cloud's Upsmash) or swing down (Lucina's Fsmash). You can land with Dair over your opponent (Cloud) or away from your opponent (Lucina). They don't really do anything different at the end of the day.

As for FE representation
I personally don't care about FE representation. So long as the character is actually cool and plays good then I'm alright. The problem isn't necessarily FE characters, but FE weapons. It's a game built entirely around a specific aesthetic and thus everything that comes with it is going to be similar. I've never played anything FE, but the weapons tend to trend towards the realistic side of things. That's not going to help things feeling basic or uneventful.

Final Fantasy is more fantasy oriented. Physics don't apply as Cloud is constantly swinging a hunk of metal that must be several times his own weight while Sephiroth happily swings a sword that is thin and like 8 feet long in a way that I think would easily snap it. FF is not worried about realism so there is a lot of room for interesting styles when Ultimate isn't trying to neuter them.

But it's not even an issue with FE or its weapons or aesthetics as proven by Byleth being an interesting character that isn't based around swords this time. Robin also proves that you can take the basic style and add flair to it with the Levin sword that makes things feel way better. So the issue isn't FE itself, but that the Smash team focused on a small pool of very specific styles.

But it's also not FE that's the issue given that nearly every other sword franchise has loads of clones and echo fighters for some reason. Most of of the clones and echo fighters seem to be sword characters in the first place. I think Smash just dropped the ball with their sword archetype rather than there being anything inherently wrong with swords.

But again I had no issue with any of this in Smash 4. I think the underlying root problem lies in Ultimate's design like I explained in my previous post. It causes lots of character to feel very linear and not fun (for me) to play. I just think sword characters have it the worst. I just simply do not like how sword characters feel and play in Ultimate.

Also, how could you say that the Heroes have a unique moveset even without RNG, but not the Byleths?
You're confusing me with the guy who posted before me.

As for uniqueness, a gimmick is not all there is to being unique, and feelings are subjective.
The topic title is "So why do so many have issues with swords?" implying a request for subjective opinions. My issues might be subtle and seemingly nitpicky, but they are what makes and breaks this archetype for me. I don't care about gimmicks, I just want characters to feel like their own again. I think the Smash 4 engine really helped with sword characters and Ultimate just makes them feel like more boring versions of others.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That's kind of my point, though. There are 19 swordfighters (I'm not counting Ganon, Byleth, or Mythra/Pyra) currently implemented in the game. Of those 19 we have 7 FE characters, 3 Link clones, two Pit clones, MetaKnight, Mii Swordfighter, Shulk, Joker (Yes, I'm counting him), Hero, Cloud, and Sephiroth.

So out of 19 swordies we have maybe 11 unique styles. Out of those 19 we have maybe 5 that are combo oriented and 14 that are spacing oriented. Out of those 19 we have 8 echos/clones/variations of other fighters. In short, there is a lot of overlap among the swordfighters.

I used Ness/Lucas as an example because it shows how you can take a fighter from the same base as another, but tweak their properties so that they feel like totally different fighters in practice. I mean what exactly can you expect from an FE Up-air? It either combos into another Up-air or kills. What can you expect from an FE Nair? It either combos into another aerial or leads to a tech chase. What about an FE Dair? Usually combos into a kill move at certain percents or just sends your opponent away.

There's much overlap on an archetype that already has very little variation in style in the first place. Which is fine because the slot sword characters in Smash usually fill isn't supposed to. But I think the issue is that there isn't really much differentiation in aesthetic qualities between them. I mentioned Soul Calibur as an example of how styles and stances can make different sword characters feel different to play (e.g. Chinese vs Japanese swords). But that only works in that particular game and Smash is designed in a different way.

As I mentioned before I quite like these characters in Smash 4. I just don't think they are as fun in Ultimate and are victims of it's linearity and streamlining. Lucina was fun in 4 because she had things like Jab combos and other moves that weren't just Nair/Fair and D-Tilt. Corrin was fun because the lance was much better than in Ultimate and sniping people with tippers and the projectiles was fun. Cloud was a shining example of what I want to see in a character and felt very versatile in every respect and looked cool doing it to boot.

That is not the case in Ultimate. You can choose to space Fair with Cloud or with Lucina as your main neutral tool. You can choose to have your main kill move swing up (Cloud's Upsmash) or swing down (Lucina's Fsmash). You can land with Dair over your opponent (Cloud) or away from your opponent (Lucina). They don't really do anything different at the end of the day.

I personally don't care about FE representation. So long as the character is actually cool and plays good then I'm alright. The problem isn't necessarily FE characters, but FE weapons. It's a game built entirely around a specific aesthetic and thus everything that comes with it is going to be similar. I've never played anything FE, but the weapons tend to trend towards the realistic side of things. That's not going to help things feeling basic or uneventful.

Final Fantasy is more fantasy oriented. Physics don't apply as Cloud is constantly swinging a hunk of metal that must be several times his own weight while Sephiroth happily swings a sword that is thin and like 8 feet long in a way that I think would easily snap it. FF is not worried about realism so there is a lot of room for interesting styles when Ultimate isn't trying to neuter them.

But it's not even an issue with FE or its weapons or aesthetics as proven by Byleth being an interesting character that isn't based around swords this time. Robin also proves that you can take the basic style and add flair to it with the Levin sword that makes things feel way better. So the issue isn't FE itself, but that the Smash team focused on a small pool of very specific styles.

But it's also not FE that's the issue given that nearly every other sword franchise has loads of clones and echo fighters for some reason. Most of of the clones and echo fighters seem to be sword characters in the first place. I think Smash just dropped the ball with their sword archetype rather than there being anything inherently wrong with swords.

But again I had no issue with any of this in Smash 4. I think the underlying root problem lies in Ultimate's design like I explained in my previous post. It causes lots of character to feel very linear and not fun (for me) to play. I just think sword characters have it the worst. I just simply do not like how sword characters feel and play in Ultimate.

You're confusing me with the guy who posted before me.

The topic title is "So why do so many have issues with swords?" implying a request for subjective opinions. My issues might be subtle and seemingly nitpicky, but they are what makes and breaks this archetype for me. I don't care about gimmicks, I just want characters to feel like their own again. I think the Smash 4 engine really helped with sword characters and Ultimate just makes them feel like more boring versions of others.
The bit about Heroes and Byleths was for the other person.

See, the thing about Ness and Lucas is that they didn't really just tweak Ness to make Lucas. Most of his moves are completely different. People get so hung up on specials they sometimes seem to overlook the majority of the moveset. Like people actually saying Wolf was a clone of Fox. Chrom was not like that. They took Roy, made a few changes, and there you go. The results are there for anyone to see.

As for Links, bear in mind Toon Link is fairly different from the other two. Even then, why are you counting echoes? They aren't supposed to be different. They made that pretty clear with how little differences most of them have. Chrom and Lucina are actually like the second and third most unique ones, and that should tell you a lot.

And...how many of those generalizations you made about nairs and bairs can apply to a lot of other moves? Also leaving out how Marth and Lucina's nair is actually a relatively decent kill move while the Failnaught spin gives a multi-hit unlike any of the others (also not a sword move). However, it sounds like your issue isn't with swords at all, but you don't like Ultimate, in which case...that's not really a sword issue like you said. Even then, you're kind of ignoring some archetypes among swords. Zoners may be the most prolific, but you also have some rush down ones in Chrom and Roy, some more all arounders. The massive range ones. Shulk being...whatever he is. Range, but he can switch to rush down for a bit. Granted, not really my categories, but saying they're a monolith isn't quite accurate. Some may like to use projectiles to keep you at range, some may be able to outrange most of the cast while Chrom and Roy get in close while Lucina is generally good. Not sure where the Aegis girls will fall, but I'm guess all arounder since they can potentially cover each other's weaknesses.

But, even if what you say is true and they are largely the same, it's not like they're the majority, or even close.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't think its the swords people don't like. And I don't think its anime either. It's the "handsom bishonen JRPG protag" archetype people are sick of. Not many people would be mad at Travis Touchdown, because he's a completely different archetype. He still uses a sword but he gives off a completely different air than someone like, say, Shulk.

Link, Marth, Roy, Ike, Shulk, Corrin, Chrom, Hero, etc etc etc. They all have the nice hair, the pretty face, the "hero of destiny" demeanor. It's boring.

MyB

Smash Rookie
See, I used to think it was largely tied to FE, even if as a mask of hating it rather than nothing else as even unique fighters got hit with the complaint, but now Pyra and Mythra get hit with it, and Xenoblade isn't exactly bursting with fighters. It just doesn't seem to make sense if you actually look at things logically. The arguments seem largely tied to feelings. What people feel is unique rather than what actually is. Which, I can get that, humans are emotional creatures, but the evidence that they are samey as a whole seems lacking.
If that's the most common explanation, then I think you should take people's word for it. It's hard to break down a subjective feeling like that.

MyB

Smash Rookie
My feelings on swordies:
-Samey aesthetic
-Overrepresented in the roster
-^ While not being very representative of Nintendo (Weeb-Anime-Style JRPGs is not what Nintendo is known for [although maybe that is changing])
-^ And while not being iconic. This might be the most important point. Sephiroth has immense icon-status. I would be overjoyed to see Sora included. Those are the kinds of characters I'm happy to see, personally. I was anticipating Eggman because he is a legendary character with representation in decades of popular titles. That to me is Smash -- massive icons duking it out.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
See, the thing about Ness and Lucas is that they didn't really just tweak Ness to make Lucas. Most of his moves are completely different. People get so hung up on specials they sometimes seem to overlook the majority of the moveset. Like people actually saying Wolf was a clone of Fox. Chrom was not like that. They took Roy, made a few changes, and there you go. The results are there for anyone to see.
Right, but again that's my point. Ness and Lucas have the same base of moves. Nair is the same, but they added a giant multi-hit around Lucas. Fair is the same, but they made Lucas's a single hit with sweet/sour spots. Dair is a similar story, but the changed the startup on Lucas and added a multi-hit. They share the same base, but have tweaks to their moves that change their style up significantly.

They didn't do that with the FE echos. There are differences in knockback and hitstun depending on the blade, but they are fundamentally the same otherwise. Marth and Roy have more damage in exchange for requiring more precision. That does change subtle things, but they are fundamentally the same. To the point that their mains can easily switch between the two depending on MU. You can't really do that with Ness and Lucas.

But you are agreeing with me that the FE echos were put together rather lazily, so I'm not sure why you keep framing this as a rebuttal. My original point was that lots of sword characters play similar to each other and I used the comparison between Marth/Lucina and Ness/Lucas to illustrate that. My point is that Chrom is Roy with minor changes and that is part of the issue with the sword characters feeling too similar: they got the bulk of the lazy echos.

Even then, why are you counting echoes? They aren't supposed to be different. They made that pretty clear with how little differences most of them have. Chrom and Lucina are actually like the second and third most unique ones, and that should tell you a lot.
Because they tie into my broader point that the sword characters play too similarly. They make up the bulk of echo fighters which means there are few actually unique sword fighters. Sword fighters are scarce enough as it is, so having close to half of them be clones and echo fighters adds to the issue of them feeling the same.

And...how many of those generalizations you made about nairs and bairs can apply to a lot of other moves?
Well, Sheik, Mario, Link, Fox, and Wolf all have the same Nair. But that Nair leads into radically different situations and has a variety of different uses per character. Because those characters all have vastly different movesets. The same can't really be said for most of the FE characters.

However, it sounds like your issue isn't with swords at all, but you don't like Ultimate, in which case...that's not really a sword issue like you said.
Right, and it is probably correct that I don't like Ultimate that much. But as I said I think the sword characters are the ones hit the hardest and they were the ones I got burnt out on the quickest. And I think others might be experiencing something similar, one example being MKLeo dropping all of his staples for a completely new character.

But, even if what you say is true and they are largely the same, it's not like they're the majority, or even close.
Right, but the topic was specifically about sword characters and the issues people might have with them. I was stating my issues with sword characters.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Right, but again that's my point. Ness and Lucas have the same base of moves. Nair is the same, but they added a giant multi-hit around Lucas. Fair is the same, but they made Lucas's a single hit with sweet/sour spots. Dair is a similar story, but the changed the startup on Lucas and added a multi-hit. They share the same base, but have tweaks to their moves that change their style up significantly.

They didn't do that with the FE echos. There are differences in knockback and hitstun depending on the blade, but they are fundamentally the same otherwise. Marth and Roy have more damage in exchange for requiring more precision. That does change subtle things, but they are fundamentally the same. To the point that their mains can easily switch between the two depending on MU. You can't really do that with Ness and Lucas.

But you are agreeing with me that the FE echos were put together rather lazily, so I'm not sure why you keep framing this as a rebuttal. My original point was that lots of sword characters play similar to each other and I used the comparison between Marth/Lucina and Ness/Lucas to illustrate that. My point is that Chrom is Roy with minor changes and that is part of the issue with the sword characters feeling too similar: they got the bulk of the lazy echos.

Because they tie into my broader point that the sword characters play too similarly. They make up the bulk of echo fighters which means there are few actually unique sword fighters. Sword fighters are scarce enough as it is, so having close to half of them be clones and echo fighters adds to the issue of them feeling the same.

Well, Sheik, Mario, Link, Fox, and Wolf all have the same Nair. But that Nair leads into radically different situations and has a variety of different uses per character. Because those characters all have vastly different movesets. The same can't really be said for most of the FE characters.

Right, and it is probably correct that I don't like Ultimate that much. But as I said I think the sword characters are the ones hit the hardest and they were the ones I got burnt out on the quickest. And I think others might be experiencing something similar, one example being MKLeo dropping all of his staples for a completely new character.

Right, but the topic was specifically about sword characters and the issues people might have with them. I was stating my issues with sword characters.
I still don't think the FE fighters outside the obvious clones have radically similar movesets. Really, the only one that's probably anywhere close is Ike, but even then it's pretty different. I also wouldn't say half are clones or echoes. Like, five. A fourth maybe (Young Link, Chrom, Lucina, Roy, and Dark PIt). I don't count Toon Link given how different he is and most Link players will probably tell you how different all three play.

However, your Ness and Lucas point doesn't work and isn't fair. Lucas is not an echo. How are their fairs, dairs, and nairs the same? Have you seen them? Used them? One of the few moves they shared (up air) was changed on Ness so now they don't even share that. Comparing those two to Chrom and Roy or any of the echoes isn't really fair. They're more different than even Ryu and Ken. They may have a similar physics base, but their movesets are wildly different.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
People aren't against sword fighters. They are only against Fire Emblem sword fighters.

Same with how they aren't against Pokemon... they are only against Gen 1 Pokemon.

Same with how they aren't against Zelda characters... they are only against different versions of Link, Zelda, and Ganon.

Same with how they aren't against Mario characters... they are only against Mario characters who aren't Waluigi or Geno.

Same with how they aren't against Nintendo characters... they are only against Nintendo characters who are older than they are.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I still don't think the FE fighters outside the obvious clones have radically similar movesets.
I guess we're just going to have to disagree on that.

However, your Ness and Lucas point doesn't work and isn't fair. Lucas is not an echo. How are their fairs, dairs, and nairs the same? Have you seen them? Used them? One of the few moves they shared (up air) was changed on Ness so now they don't even share that. Comparing those two to Chrom and Roy or any of the echoes isn't really fair. They're more different than even Ryu and Ken. They may have a similar physics base, but their movesets are wildly different.
And again that's my point and you are agreeing with me. They have the same base, but changes were made to each move that gave different uses. I used them as an example of how clones/echos/whatever you want to call them/etc should work. And that the FE characters don't deviate as much outside of minor changes that affects specific situations, but doesn't change their overall feel.

This is a tangent however as I was only using them as an example of how lazy FE characters are in comparison. The details of Ness and Lucas has no bearing on the overall topic of sword characters. I again am not sure what you are trying to argue here as I only mentioned them as a reference. The fact that Chrom/Roy only have minor differences is entirely what I'm talking about.

I don't care whether or not Ness and Lucas are officially considered clones or echos, they share far too many fundamental design similarities to be dismissed as entirely different designs. The fact that they work so differently in practice is a shining example of what the design team should be striving for when they try to copy another character's base. I absolutely do think Fox/Wolf/Falco are a similar story where tweaking a base design with a different properties can completely change how a character plays and feels.

Arbitrarily making some parts of your blade weaker and some stronger is not radically changing anything. The most it does is make competitive mains switch to the other in some MUs. Meaning they don't actually work around the differences, but simply switch based on whether those differences are beneficial in a particular MU or not. It's less playing different characters at that point and more slightly tweaking the loadout of a class in a FPS. You just put extended mags on one gun and hollow points for more damage on another.

Last edited:

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
Imagine if instead of swords it was birds that that 20 characters pulled out of their backpacks and whacked people with. They would have different properties, sure. Some would have bigger birds, faster birds, birds meant for poking and others for bopping.

And lets say on top of that all these characters shared a similar aesthetic--they were all anthropomorphic bears. Oh sure, you say, they are all unique looking. You got your black bears, grizzly bears, polar bears. There's even a koala bear, which really isn't a bear but everyone calls him one anyway.

Sakurai can be trusted to make these characters fun. It's in their special moves where they stand out. But one just can't help but notice a recycling of tilts, aerials, and smash attacks. Cause in a 2D fighter there's really only so many ways you can swing a bird.

Isn't it reasonable to notice this trend? And let's say you're someone whose best characters are super heavies (or any archetype you want), and you haven't had a character reveal that's spoken to you since K.Rool. When fans of bird wielding bears already have plenty to choose from, it's hard not to be a tad disappointed with each passing reveal.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I guess we're just going to have to disagree on that.

And again that's my point and you are agreeing with me. They have the same base, but changes were made to each move that gave different uses. I used them as an example of how clones/echos/whatever you want to call them/etc should work. And that the FE characters don't deviate as much outside of minor changes that affects specific situations, but doesn't change their overall feel.

This is a tangent however as I was only using them as an example of how lazy FE characters are in comparison. The details of Ness and Lucas has no bearing on the overall topic of sword characters. I again am not sure what you are trying to argue here as I only mentioned them as a reference. The fact that Chrom/Roy only have minor differences is entirely what I'm talking about.

I don't care whether or not Ness and Lucas are officially considered clones or echos, they share far too many fundamental design similarities to be dismissed as entirely different designs. The fact that they work so differently in practice is a shining example of what the design team should be striving for when they try to copy another character's base. I absolutely do think Fox/Wolf/Falco are a similar story where tweaking a base design with a different properties can completely change how a character plays and feels.

Arbitrarily making some parts of your blade weaker and some stronger is not radically changing anything. The most it does is make competitive mains switch to the other in some MUs. Meaning they don't actually work around the differences, but simply switch based on whether those differences are beneficial in a particular MU or not. It's less playing different characters at that point and more slightly tweaking the loadout of a class in a FPS. You just put extended mags on one gun and hollow points for more damage on another.
The Ness and Lucas example is a fundamentally poor one, because they weren't trying with that for the echoes. You could argue how much of them is even the same base. I just...how can you even deny their different designs when almost everything about them is different? It's as if you're saying that they are a shining example of a few good changes making a difference when they're two very different fighters with different intents. How are Fox and Wolf the same? Specials and Final Smashes are bout the only thing they really had in common even in Brawl? Both cases isn't they just tweaked a few properties, they are completely different movesets. Do I have to go through every single move they have and point this out?

Conversely, echoes, and this is not just limited to FE, are generally very lowe effort. That's the point. They aren't even given their own numbers. You can argue Roy, but he's more in the camp of Falco compared to Fox these days. This is not just a FE thing. Daisy was literally patched to be more like Peach, Dark Samus is almost exactly like Samus, same with Richter and Simon. That's just how they work. If you have problems with echoes, that is not really a sword, nor a FE issue, that's an issue with how echoes are done.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Isn't it reasonable to notice this trend? And let's say you're someone whose best characters are super heavies (or any archetype you want), and you haven't had a character reveal that's spoken to you since K.Rool. When fans of bird wielding bears already have plenty to choose from, it's hard not to be a tad disappointed with each passing reveal.
This is true for me regardless of whether the characters have swords or not.

I just want a super heavy for DLC Sakurai pls

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Here are 4 reasons I think this hate stems from:

1) Fire Emblem and the 5 variations of Marth, I'm including Ike. (this is the only reason I agree with but I'm fine with other swordsman getting in even if they're from FE as long as they're not a clone or semi-clone of an existing swordfighter)

2) There are also people that dislike fighting against the swordsman archetype due to the range of the sword and how fast it comes out.

3) People want to see more representation for the games they're more familiar with. (I love RPG games with sword wielding protags but a lot of people stay clear of them to play FPS, action, sports, side scrollers, simulation, arcade etc. They just may be starting to think that smash is becoming a celebration of "anime swordsman" instead of gaming as a whole )

4) They feel like all the "anime style swordsmen" are just over running the roster and just want to see something different plus there may just be people that dislike every aspect of anime.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I got sidetracked so I'm a little late with this reply.

The Ness and Lucas example is a fundamentally poor one, because they weren't trying with that for the echoes. You could argue how much of them is even the same base. I just...how can you even deny their different designs when almost everything about them is different?
Look, I only brought them up as a comparison and not to get into a discussion on the intricacies of copying frameworks. This goes way off topic and honestly I'm just not interested in discussing it. If you can't understand what separates the Star Fox crew from the Mario crew despite them being close-range fighters then just leave it at that. Lots of franchises have similar bases that are tweaked and changed to make them different fighters. I only brought them up to show how you can make things less lazy and not to get into a discussion that you seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding.

Conversely, echoes, and this is not just limited to FE, are generally very lowe effort. That's the point. They aren't even given their own numbers. You can argue Roy, but he's more in the camp of Falco compared to Fox these days. This is not just a FE thing. Daisy was literally patched to be more like Peach, Dark Samus is almost exactly like Samus, same with Richter and Simon. That's just how they work. If you have problems with echoes, that is not really a sword, nor a FE issue, that's an issue with how echoes are done.
Correct, that is the point. That has literally been my point in this entire tangent. We are literally saying the same thing which is why I'm confused we are still even on this tangent. The FE echos are lazy and very samey like a lot of echos. And you are correct that this isn't exclusive to FE echos.

The problem is that these echos are concentrated in one particular archetype. It's one thing if these were spread out among the cast, but swords are where they are concentrated. This doesn't help with the "samey" feel. Then you add on how Ultimate further streamlined and reduced a lot of these characters to fewer moves and variations and it is then not hard to understand why people have a problem with this type specifically.

You look at Marth in Smash 4, and while he was still a Fair monster, there was more variation in things like Jab combos (looked smooth), Perfect Pivots and similar tech adding more movement options leading into awesome tipper reads, the tech window being much less lenient leading into surprise stage spike kills (perfectly timed run off Bair anyone?), actual kill throws making him more of a threat at high percents, and the usual combos associated with him.

You look at Marth vs Lucina in Smash 4 and there was actually a difference between the two. Lots of people would always say that Lucina was a worse version of Marth, but that was exaggerated. There were enough situations where you would think "Lucina would have killed there" that made her legitimately her own character and she fared at some MUs better than others.

Marth in Ultimate is significantly worse and less fun to play. The constantly shifting hurtboxs, insane levels of safety, and large amounts of burst options make tipper consistency difficult. Not only has his throws been nerfed leading to difficult high percent battles, but he lost his easy Jab confirms. It really leads to him being camped easily and being slowly chipped away at until the opponent can land a much easier kill move. I'm not interested in getting into tier discussions, I'm more speaking on how not fun and rather stressful it is to play him in this game.

And contrary to 4, Lucina actually is a better Marth. Yes, Marth still has cool combos and kill confirms, but that's after getting through the awful neutral. Lucina is much better suited to a game where the concept of spacing has largely been destroyed thanks to being able to safely jump half of the stage in one shorthop for most characters. When your character is largely relegated to Fair, Nair, and D-Tilt then the more consistent one is generally the better one. Especially so in a game where consistency seems difficult to achieve regardless of character.

We can talk about my needing to be better with Marth or be a better player in general, but it is true that he's largely been dropped from even notable Marth mains. Even the current best Ultimate player and most notable Marth main (aside from M2K) MKLeo dropped him for Lucina and subsequently dropped her for Joker. I've noticed that lots of sword mains dropped their characters in Ultimate, even the die hard Ike mains that refused to do so in 4. Even Lucina has been falling off in popularity among competitive players (well as far as I know), so I don't think I'm alone in my feelings.

I think Ultimate's engine and mechanics makes the type of spacing most of the sword characters were designed for less fun and more difficult than previous Smash games. Roy and Chrom are seeing lots of popularity still, but they also are designed to be the polar opposite of what most of the others are. People complain about the disjoints swords have, but honestly sword characters are harder to play than they are to beat. The swords are either too stubby to matter in a game with as much burst and acceleration as this one or lack any sort of multi-hit that can't be easily spotdodged and then punished. Chrom and Roy are annoying because of their speed and safety and not because of the disjoint.

I also feel that Corrin is the same way. You might say the pin was busted as **** in 4, but I don't think it overshadowed the rest of their moves that much. But it was a legitimately interesting move that made Corrin feel fairly unique and helped set things up for lance tippers and other things. The one in Ultimate might be more balanced, but it is also more boring as a result. I had lots of fun sniping with tippers in 4, but it feels significantly harder to do so in Ultimate. In an effort to balance Corrin towards using the full kit it just feels like I'm once again mashing with swords most of the time.

And we might say that again I just need to get good, but it feels like the type of spacing I was used to is gone when jumps are the safest movement/evasion/offensive/defensive/panic option in the game. With the aerial acceleration and safety being what it is I feel like I'm just mashing sword aerials the entire time once again and the only time any other move comes out is in advantage. I can only take so much aerial mashing before I'm sick of anything resembling it.

So, it is correct that I don't think this is a sword characters fault and the problem lies with Ultimate's design. But as I already stated I think sword characters are the worst about it. Even setting aside clones/echos/whatever there's only so many times I can mash a sword Fair/Nair/Up-air before I get tired of it. They are the least inspired of all the movesets in the first place and so I feel a lot of it comes down to their general flow and movement. Ultimate significantly limits that by allowing really dumb things like being able to roll/airdodge across half the stage, through active hitboxs, and end up behind the opponent and then immediately Fsmash or otherwise act out of it. That naturally incentivizes the kind of aerial mashing we see to avoid being caught with things like that which then ruins what was interesting about this archetype.

And that's ultimately why I strayed to more close-range and aggressive types because they seem to have at least a little more variety in their mashing.

Heat-TD

Smash Rookie
Some people are mad about all the Fire Emblem characters because they don't like that their dreams aren't being fulfilled. They think that Fire Emblem characters are being brought in at the expense of Waluigi or whatever, and will never accept that the developers just haven't wanted to make Waluigi yet.

Some people are also mad that what they view as a "niche" series is getting all this representation, despite the fact that Fire Emblem has almost always been a much bigger series than Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, etc, just in terms of games released over periods of time. With Awakening, Fire Emblem is now up there with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc. Thing is, Awakening is almost a decade old now.

As you can imagine, there is a lot of overlap with these two concepts.

This combination of factors means that if we started seeing a glut of characters from some "normal" series like Mario or Zelda or whatever, there would still be complaints, but there would also be substantially less of them, and the complainers would have gave up after a week or two of a given character's release.

Nowadays, they've gone beyond simply complaining about the existence of Fire Emblem characters, having moved on to attempting to challenge their designs within the design space of Smash, and have now moved on to challenge the concept of characters who fight with swords altogether. Now we've finally got a second Xenoblade representative, and there are actually people upset about it. It only makes sense when you consider the above.

This kind of endless complaining about nothing is just... not helpful. It's incredibly spiteful, and it always seems like the complainers would like every Fire Emblem character to be removed permanently and for the actual Fire Emblem series to die out. I know I've seen someone say exactly those things too.

All else aside... please do not attempt to treat Marth, Ike, Robin, Corrin, and Byleth as if they're "too similar". They're all wildly different characters.

Nah

Smash Champion
As much as I think that the time to call Fire Emblem a niche or obscure series has been over for years and it's almost funny how some people still see it as such while also asking for actually niche/obscure stuff to get in Smash, it's also a real stretch to say that it now compares to juggernauts like Nintendo's big 3 or even Animal Crossing.

Voyajer

Smash Rookie
I just don't like playing as or fighting against most of the swordfighters in smash. I simply find their playstyle unfun.

Dan

Smash Lord
It's not just swords; it's anime swords. I think this is the first time I booted up Smash and thought "what an absolute waste of a character"... like at least Byleth had the Cuphead costume.

Reactions: xzx

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Dan

Smash Lord
It's really just Byleth and Corrin that ruin it. I don't like Pyra and Mythra either, but they could end up being fine depending on how the rest of the DLC turns out. I would've liked to have seen a different clone instead of Lucina like Shadow as well.

I'd say the absolute worst picks in Smash history were Byleth and Plant, with Corrin not too far behind. I guess Pyra & Mythra would be next, but they're not really in the same league cause they're at least not FE.

Dan

Smash Lord
Yeah, they do, but the timing of their announcements was horrendous and it has more to do with the franchise being overrepresented.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
As the title says, why do so many seem to have this distaste for sword fighters? For a while I thought it may have been more of a cover for FE hate, but now Pyra and Mythra seem to be getting at least some of it too. What does it matter so long as a moveset is unique? Just because it's a fighting game doesn't mean it need to be hand to hand as it were. So, why?
Dang it seems there is less of a chance for Porky to get in since he is another JRPG character. However, he isn't anime and is a mech/robot type fighter(there is only bowser jr so far) so people can't just label him as another "mcjrpg sword character"

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I like swords. I like anime sword fighters. Gotta have some more of those too.

I don't speak for those that opposes them.

Top Bottom