• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So who else hates Spear Head?

funkyskunk5

Smash Rookie
I really hate that map. The layout is fine, but whenever the four legged pokemon that osrt of looks like a deer comes and messes things up, it gets really frustrating. Why mess with everyones controls and then flip the map? Has anyone else had a problem with their controls being messed up as something that pokemon does?

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I especially like when they tilt the stage, not so much when they send out attacks or reverse the stage or turn it upside down since it confuses me... but hey it just adds to the excitement, I still love Spear Pillar. ^^

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I don't like about Spear Pillar is when Palkia reverses the stage and the controls. Once it did that when I got knocked off the stage, and by the time I realized what had happened I had moved myself to death (because I was moving away from the stage).

I can understand, though, that the random explosions from Dialga and the energy beams would annoy people. Same with Halberd. Neither of those are anywhere near as annoying as Mario Bros., though. **** crabs...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I like that stage. I pick it all the time. The only things about it I really don't lock is when Dialga slows down time or Cressilia shooting those stupid boomerang things at you. The beams are pretty easy to avoid, and it's fun to throw somebody into one. Palkia doesn't bother me much, the reverse controls usually seem to screw my opponents up more than me.

BTW, the stage is called Spear Pillar, not Spear Head. And they're legendary Pokemon, not legged Pokemon. Cressilia doesn't even have legs.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
I love this stage because of its chaos. Makes for a blast of a match, especially when you're the only one who knows what is about to happen.

Young_Link808

Smash Apprentice
i liek the stage but the freaking reverse thing that reverses your controls pisses me off i died alot of times becuase of this stupid thing

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Inverted controls are a pain, but I take it in stride whenever it happens. I used to be scared of those massive beams-o-death, but it turns out you can shield them. Altered time doesn't really bother me much.

Smash Ace
Actually, my biggest problem with it is the layout, not the effects. It's really, really campy. The big scary beams aren't that big of a deal: you can normally avoid them (horizontal beams are a pain, though), you can shield them, and even if you can't do either, you can easily survive horizontal beams. The reverted controls are a pain, but I've learned to deal with them.

myth990

Smash Rookie
I love Spear Pillar. But i hate reverse controls. I walked of the edge some number of times. XD

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
I would be fine with the stage if not for the control reversal/stage flip. I've self destructed more than once because it suddenly did that while I was in the middle of recovery. From what I've seen it's sent a lot of people to play strictly defensive till the stage controls return to normal.

I don't find the lasers overpowered, just the control reversal is irritating.

And I have to agree with Mario Bros. Only because the turtles and crabs are so ridiculously overpowered. Grabbing and throwing one almost seems to have the same impact as hucking the head of the hammer. So you can really murder people by just taking those out and throwing them.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
When I saw the underground part of the level, I groaned even more than when I saw this stage wasn't neutral. =_=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KB8nQmRanNE

;_;
You know what I hate? People who complain about stages because they aren't Final Destination or Battlefield.

If you wouldn't want to use the stage in a tournament with money on the line and so forth, fine with me, but would it kill you to evaluate it objectively for casual play without griping about all this stuff that just shouldn't be relevant outside of a tournament setting?

It's especially silly now that we have a stage builder, allowing you to make stages that are as "neutral" as you so desire. Why complain about the stages with unique effects and so forth that we're given to start with?

I for one love Spear Pillar; it's got a cool look and a fun layout. The random effects can be a little obnoxious sometimes, but you get used to most of them. I think the stage tilting ones are especially nifty; they add to the chaos.

My only question is if it seems to anyone else as though Palkia shows up a lot more often than anyone else; because it certainly seems that way to me.

And how about changing the topic title to reflect the actual name of the stage?

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Actually for me Palkia hardly ever seems to show up, thank God in my opinion. I was in the middle of a match when Palkia showed up for the first time and I had never seen it before. So imagine my surprise when I'm halfway recovering, stage flips and I suddenly quickdraw to my death.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
You know what I hate? People who complain about stages because they aren't Final Destination or Battlefield.

If you wouldn't want to use the stage in a tournament with money on the line and so forth, fine with me, but would it kill you to evaluate it objectively for casual play without griping about all this stuff that just shouldn't be relevant outside of a tournament setting?

It's especially silly now that we have a stage builder, allowing you to make stages that are as "neutral" as you so desire. Why complain about the stages with unique effects and so forth that we're given to start with?
It wouldn't be prefrence, would it? I hate everything about the stage: be it the music, color, the appearing Pokemon, the layout, everything. I guess that makes me "ZOMG TOURNEY***". People that don't enjoy "zany stages where the stage attacks you more than your opponent" are just people who only like Final D, huh?

Please, casually remove your head from your ***.

FmAiGkGeO

Smash Cadet
Hate that stage so much. Played it on accident last night. Random picked it. It really blows when it comes to competitive play. I suppose it's fun to mess around on, but really wins on that stages come down to whoever can control best in a mirror.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
There's a "Spear Head" stage?
QFT lol.

It's Spear Pillar.

And the deer-looking Pokemon is Dialga, but you probably didnt know this, so it mdoesnt matter :)

Anyway, I love the stage, and the music for it is also great. Victory Road is awesome.

nyrhockey

Smash Rookie
The huge beam that comes out does get annoying sometimes, but it does add some personality to the stage. Without it would probably be like another Battlefield, and it would just be a filler map (a map put in their just to add to the number of total maps). It is pretty fun though when you aren't on the receiving end of the beam.

Trozz

Smash Ace
It's... eh.
I'm an old school Pokemon fan, only really familiar with the classic 150 (151).

Trace_User500

Smash Apprentice
I especially like when they tilt the stage, not so much when they send out attacks or reverse the stage or turn it upside down since it confuses me... but hey it just adds to the excitement, I still love Spear Pillar. ^^
In another thread I said you hated all the good stages. I take it back.
And SPEAR HEAD? Anyone who calls it spear head and believes that's what it's called is a spear head

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Uhh, I don't like this stage because of the insane control flips which can really mess you up while trying to recover

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
Uhh, I don't like this stage because I'm a disoriented player who can't maneuver himself well enough to at least grab on to the edge when the stage moves.
Fixed.

Come on. I'll admit, Palkia's Spacial Rend can get annoying (and I still don't mind it. It's fun to lure people INTO it) but the stage movement and tilts aren't any worse than Pokemon Stadium or maybe even the ground in Brinstar.

Zink

Smash Champion
the reversals are DWARFED by fox's ability to laser camp. he can run away all day, just doing laps, and win every match. so much for a good stage? :/

Fury1994

Smash Rookie
I honestly do not think Spear Pillar is a bad stage. But when the stage gets turned up-side down, then it starts to get completely stupid.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea, I like the stage and the effects are cool for casual play but I wish I could turn them off for competitve play. the same goes for the frigate lvl (samus) the layout and flipping effect is cool but I wish i could turn it off at times. There are a couple of good layout stages that are voided for competitive play because of the effects. its a shame

Chozo01

Smash Rookie
It seems as if you either love Spear Pillar or you hate it. I'm with the former myself; the musics are cool and I like the underground tunnel.

Talendime

Smash Ace
It seems as if you either love Spear Pillar or you hate it. I'm with the former myself; the musics are cool and I like the underground tunnel.
For me it's both. I love the level-don't know anything about those new pokemon or nothin' though. I like the lasers, the slo-mo sort of thing, and mostly all that crazy crap.
But I freak out when the screen goes upside-down or when you get reversed. It's just too much for me, hahaha, and nobody ever seems to just want to stand still till it's over (like me). So I get pummeled!

Still though, that's always fun. I get excited when im in the tunnel and then all of a sudden the laser warning appears. Great fun.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I have mixed feelings... Before I played I was all fired up to play it, then in the heat of a match, Palkia would flip the stage. Oh my god. Why Sakurai WHYYYY!!! It was so good until he fliped the stage. I had seen it on videos but video's don't capture how screwed up it really is.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I love it, especially when Cresselia (or however you spell that) appears and people forget to dodge the boomerang thingy. The control switch is ok and its pretty funny when someone dies including myself.

supercake

Smash Apprentice
all of you who say spear pillar is confusing arent playing it right. when the antlerless ******** reindeer pokemon comes out and flips the stage you spin around, bend down and stick your head through your legs and play upside down. either that or turn your torso severely to the side while tilting your head and neck further to the side so you are looking at it upside down and your body is like a hook. naturally your hands should flip upside down with your torso too.

seriously try it. it solves everything.

Talendime

Smash Ace
all of you who say spear pillar is confusing arent playing it right. when the antlerless ******** reindeer pokemon comes out and flips the stage you spin around, bend down and stick your head through your legs and play upside down. either that or turn your torso severely to the side while tilting your head and neck further to the side so you are looking at it upside down and your body is like a hook. naturally your hands should flip upside down with your torso too.

seriously try it. it solves everything.
hahaha alrighty thanks for the tip

Zaq attaq

Smash Rookie
Isnt the stage called "Spear Pillar"? and yes i find it annoying when the stage flips upside down except online cuz all the noobs commit suicide

KingKracko

Smash Rookie
Its an epic stage, especially in free for alls. But for 1 on 1 matches I dont think Spear Pillar is a good stage. If you want things chaotic, nothing more chaotic than spear pillar.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
actually I find it fine for 1 on 1 matches.

Pialkia's reversal of controls and stage flip are confusing but actually if you have quick reflex's or are thinking clear everyone should be able to recover from it quickly (I can't though) unlike item's doesn't really take skill away from the equation.

Dialgia is great, slow motion fighting feels good, looks good and can let you do things you wouldn't normally do because you wouldn't react fast enough.

Spear pillar is fine, good map, 4 on 4 its fun, 1 on 1 its fun.

Although I wish it was only dialgia because pialkia confuses the hell out of me.

Epic stage (my fav)

Top Bottom